Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Playing Into The Breach a bit over the last few days. A piece of unusually elegant design: simple, understandable and transparent systems that combine in a giddy amount of smart, surprising ways. Really exciting to see a game take a familiar premise - turn-based, grid-based combat - and just strip it down to its essence and go to absolute town with it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Playing Into The Breach a bit over the last few days. A piece of unusually elegant design: simple, understandable and transparent systems that combine in a giddy amount of smart, surprising ways. Really exciting to see a game take a familiar premise - turn-based, grid-based combat - and just strip it down to its essence and go to absolute town with it.

RPS had a lovely article on just how much they pared the game back to make it so simple. I love games that make the extra effort like this, playtesting it to death and understanding it from a gamers perspective, and not just the devs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

I don’t see a thread for Monster Hunter: Worlds and was wondering has anyone got it and how is it? Very tempted to get it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    I don’t see a thread for Monster Hunter: Worlds and was wondering has anyone got it and how is it? Very tempted to get it.

Thread here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057818201

Great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Playing Burnout 3: Takedown again recently. My god it hasn't aged a day! Incredible game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, it was disappointing to hear they're re-releasing Paradise, but no remake of Takedown, which was the best, very closely following by Revenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah, it was disappointing to hear they're re-releasing Paradise, but no remake of Takedown, which was the best, very closely following by Revenge.

More disappointing that Paradise remaster is 40 fecking quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    More disappointing that Paradise remaster is 40 fecking quid!

Say what?! Are they for realsies? There's another one off the list...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Annoying that Paradise was the first one I got to play properly (PC) and it ended up being the last one.
    I'd also like a remake of some of the older/best ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Burnout paradise looking slick and fun but definitely waiting for a sale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Been thinking of getting an XB1 just to play Cuphead, insane or good idea?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Surely easier to find a PC to play it? Specs are extremely modest IIRC.

Xbox probably cheaper if you don’t have one knocking around, mind!

Surely easier to find a PC to play it? Specs are extremely modest IIRC.

Xbox probably cheaper if you don’t have one knocking around, mind!

Don't have a PC nor the room for one in my apartment. Was considering getting the xbox 2nd hand for about €180 so would be paying €200 for one game. Seems a bit mad but I am dying to play it. Looks fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Could just resell the xbox when your done with the game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Surely you have access to a laptop or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Burnout paradise looking slick and fun but definitely waiting for a sale.

Apparently it’s just a bump in resolution, textures are the same. I’ve been playing the 360 version on the One and it’s still great (not a patch on Takedown though). €40 is definitely too steep. €20 and I’d go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Been thinking of getting an XB1 just to play Cuphead, insane or good idea?

Do you have a laptop? I have a Microsoft Surface and Cuphead plays fine on it.

Very old laptop, struggles doing very basic things sometimes. Though maybe I'm better off buying a new laptop instead of an xbox as it would be more useful in the long run. Honestly never even thought of it so thanks for the recommendation lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Very old laptop, struggles doing very basic things sometimes. Though maybe I'm better off buying a new laptop instead of an xbox as it would be more useful in the long run. Honestly never even thought of it so thanks for the recommendation lads.

It's a very good game. One of my favourites of last year.

Is Cuphead a timed exclusive on consoles? I've heard conflicting reports

• Advertisement

Is Cuphead a timed exclusive on consoles? I've heard conflicting reports

PC and Xbox are the only releases the developer confirmed a while back. So no PS release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Seems to work fine on windows integrated graphics which should help for any laptop budget - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82KQBM-ICzM

Here are the system requirements, you won't have to look hard or spend much to get a laptop to run it - http://store.steampowered.com/app/268910/Cuphead/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Having ditched COD after Black Ops 2 and never regretting it, I decided if they remaster MW2 Activision can have all my money. I'll buy lootboxes, DLC and crappy skins, I just don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Having ditched COD after Black Ops 2 and never regretting it, I decided if they remaster MW2 Activision can have all my money. I'll buy lootboxes, DLC and crappy skins, I just don't care.

OR
    You could spend that same money on new experiences instead.
    Crazy thought, I know.
    ;)

• Absolutely no need for the DMC HD collection to be ported again
    Cash grab

Xbox backwards compat could have done what this done in a small bit or rework

The worst type of 'remaster' and Capcom should get called out on it

A shame after the excellence that is Monster Hunter World

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I wonder do Capcom's re-releases allow games like MH to exist? I haven't played MH yet (waiting on a PC release) but it is loved by many.

Do Capcom have the financial resources to allow for long development times on MH type games alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Pac1Man wrote:
    Do Capcom have the financial resources to allow for long development times on MH type games alone?

They haven't done a lot of new titles this gen. Resident Evil 7 & Umbrella Corps, couple of unsuccessful Dead Rising game, Street Fighter V & Marvel vs Capcom which too weren't rousing successes. I'd argue only 1 of those was a hit :/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,696 ✭✭✭✭Penn

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Absolutely no need for the DMC HD collection to be ported again
    Cash grab

I have no shame in saying I bought the DMC HD Collection yesterday. I loved two of those games (DMC2 can f*ck right off) and look forward to completing them both over again.

What's important to note is that it's not a remaster though. Just a HD collection. Important difference.

• Penn wrote: »
    I have no shame in saying I bought the DMC HD Collection yesterday. I loved two of those games (DMC2 can f*ck right off) and look forward to completing them both over again.

What's important to note is that it's not a remaster though. Just a HD collection. Important difference.

How much was it out of interest?
    I think what I meant was this was a direct port from the job they already done on the x360 & PS3

• Advertisement

Absolutely no need for the DMC HD collection to be ported again
    Cash grab

Burnout Paradise is even more guilty of this. All they did was bump the resolution, didn't rework the textures at all. Even on PS3/X360 it ran at a solid 60fps. No need for this "remaster" at all, especially at £30.

Now if they ported it to the Switch, I'd happily let them screw me for the £30.
    Penn wrote: »

How much was it out of interest?
    I think what I meant was this was a direct port from the job they already done on the x360 & PS3

They bumped the resolution from 720p to 1080p, but as Penn pointed out they never called it a remaster. £25 is more sensible price point, but personally, I still see this as a cash grab too.

Advertisement