Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,696 ✭✭✭✭Penn

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    How much was it out of interest?
    I think what I meant was this was a direct port from the job they already done on the x360 & PS3

It was €40 though I do think it should have been €30 or less. But I was happy enough to pay the €40 for it anyway.

I agree it's a cash grab, but between this and the DMC4 Special Edition, if high sales lead to a proper DMC5 I'll consider it money well spent regardless. And DMC3 is just such a brilliant game in its own right. Only got 3 missions played last night before my fingers started to hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Not sure why it qualifies as a cash grab in the pejorative sense. It's the first time the original DMC has been available on the PC and it's a fine replacement for the pretty awful DMC3:SE port we got back in 2006. Win win for fans of the series who would also rather have a version of the game that will outlive the shelf life of the consoles they may have previously owned them on, assuming they had a console to begin with.

If they're due criticism it's for not porting the HD Collection to the PC initially back in 2012. Then again, it seems to be another part of Capcom's general rethink of the PC as a viable platform that started a couple of years ago when they began bringing older titles like Dead Rising and Dragon's Dogma to the platform and releasing newer entries in series which haven't been on the PC before, such as Monster Hunter World, shortly after the initial console launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

anyone tried surviv.io?
    it's basically a 2D browser version of PUBG

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

So Epic are releasing Paragon's assets.

For free.

Penn wrote: »
    I have no shame in saying I bought the DMC HD Collection yesterday. I loved two of those games (DMC2 can f*ck right off) and look forward to completing them both over again.

What's important to note is that it's not a remaster though. Just a HD collection. Important difference.

Finished DMC3 over the weekend. Still just a fantastic game. Camera was a bit more annoying than I remember (especially in the fight with Lady) but other than that, the gameplay is still every bit as fantastic as the original and the improved graphics and framerate are very solid.

However, while most of the cutscenes have been given the HD treatment, some of them look like they haven't been touched at all. Maybe it wasn't as noticeable on the PS3 version of the HD collection, but they really stand out here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Just pulled this from the BBC website.

The team behind major new release Sea of Thieves explains to Newsbeat how they're trying to tackle the toxic behaviour that is often seen in online-only games.

I see this phrase bandied about a lot. Is online gaming really that toxic? I play a good bit online and sure there's some dickish behaviour but don't find it all that common. What constitutes toxic gaming? Is it really bad verbal abuse which I have rarely encountered or someone glitching/cheating or general trolling, which is more common but hardly game breaking.

I got shouted at by some Eurotrash for something that wasn't my fault, which I let go as I had done something else stupid he hadn't noticed, in the Division this weekend but it was hardly a toxic event.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think these toxic references are mainly a mainland US issue. Have a look at all the rage videos. Most of them are from the US, and as we're all the way over here we rarely get matched with them, and even though we do get some of the crap, we don't get nearly as much as the media portrays.

And that's from playing CoD online, which is apparently one of the worst for it. Either way, it's not up to a developer to stop toxic chat, only the cheating side of things. For the toxic chats, there's a lovely option called mute.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I remember being on gta online with fellow boardsies having the craic, meet some randomers and just started messing about driving. One of the guys was black, one was white, both American and it got very racist very quick. Couldn't believe the stuff they were coming out with and it was so casual to them, got very heated and killed the craic we had going, damn yanks. But yeah, I don't think we see the worst of it by far. I'd say that kind of stuff constantly happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

gimli2112 wrote: »

The team behind major new release Sea of Thieves explains to Newsbeat how they're trying to tackle the toxic behaviour that is often seen in online-only games.

Here's a neat little trick, every time you see a reference to "detoxifying" a game or a hobby just replace that word with "purge", "purify "or "cleanse".

That will give an idea of the actual thinking behind the term :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Basically they don't want players to be assholes to each other...and then they include the functionality for people to vote to lock one of their team mates in a cage on the ship :pac:

• Advertisement

Someone was telling me in Ark that your player can be kidnapped and locked up. You lose the character unless the other player lets you go. You lose all your character progression and everything. It sounds insane and a little creepy.

Rockstar had a pretty interesting approach to the problem with Max Payne 3 multiplayer.

Wana cheat and generally act like an arse? Fine, then you can do it with your peers.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Someone was telling me in Ark that your player can be kidnapped and locked up. You lose the character unless the other player lets you go. You lose all your character progression and everything. It sounds insane and a little creepy.

Yup, you also force feed them to keep them alive while you keep them tranquilised so they can't escape by eating their own crap to kill themselves. They shouldn't have killed my frog :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yup, you also force feed them to keep them alive while you keep them tranquilised so they can't escape by eating their own crap to kill themselves.
    They shouldn't have killed my frog :)
    f3f98a7a71032392ac9643c494fb6aecbb52e87fae2e65a9cad9a3684fa41a76.jpg

You okay Mick? Want to talk about it? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Well with sensitivity levels where they are for some these days id imagine it wouldnt take to much to be classed as toxic.

Dont really see it myself,nearly always in a party or private voice chat when gaming these days. If im not i usually dont have a mic on at all and will just mute people.

Do see examples from time to time but not as often as some would have ye believe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I see this phrase bandied about a lot. Is online gaming really that toxic? I play a good bit online and sure there's some dickish behaviour but don't find it all that common. What constitutes toxic gaming? Is it really bad verbal abuse which I have rarely encountered or someone glitching/cheating or general trolling, which is more common but hardly game breaking.

I got shouted at by some Eurotrash for something that wasn't my fault, which I let go as I had done something else stupid he hadn't noticed, in the Division this weekend but it was hardly a toxic event.

Its hard to know - one mans definition of toxic is anothers just having a laugh,
    I've been online since the wild west days of quake 1, up through the COD MW etc, and it was a thousand times worse back then. Party chat has eliminated an awful lot of it, but in many ways, i miss the old days, where you could trade verbal insults at the scorescreen or whatever. I think the bigger problem now, is that kids take it too far, and because everything is linked up, griefing can follow you over to social media etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Its hard to know - one mans definition of toxic is anothers just having a laugh,
    I've been online since the wild west days of quake 1, up through the COD MW etc, and it was a thousand times worse back then. Party chat has eliminated an awful lot of it, but in many ways, i miss the old days, where you could trade verbal insults at the scorescreen or whatever. I think the bigger problem now, is that kids take it too far, and because everything is linked up, griefing can follow you over to social media etc.

The old days of COD when it'd be strange if you weren't told to 'Go F**k Yourself', 'Hope you Die', 'I Rode Your Ma' etc etc at least four times a game :pac:

this is true, got into some arguments back in MW2, 3 and Black Ops 1 that wouldn't stand up to scrutiny by 2018 standards. Didn't think much of it at the time but wouldn't want to be trying to defend myself over it either.

In fairness if I wore a mic while playing online with randomers, I'd probably be banned too.

QUIT F*CKING WHISTLING!
    TURN OFF THAT F*CKING MUSIC IN THE BACKGROUND!
    STOP F*CKING BREATHING!

Hell I have to restrain myself from shouting it at the telly when you can hear them even without a headset/mic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

gizmo wrote: »
    Rockstar had a pretty interesting approach to the problem with Max Payne 3 multiplayer.

Wana cheat and generally act like an arse? Fine, then you can do it with your peers.

If I recall GTA V was the same, though not too strict - e.g. an hour of mayhem and carnage just because you wanted to kill everyone else wasn't going to have much impact, but if it's all you ever did you booted into the 'antisocial ar*ehole' lobby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

And for some reason the guy doing this never says anything.

Evade wrote: »

It's always a dilemma when the music's really good. You want to give out but a little fearful of how it will play out.

I only play online games occasionally, but always have to wonder what is going through this persons' mind and wind up with a mental image of some emo teen telling themselves 'this music expresses me better than I ever could' or some similar gobsh*tery. :pac:

Billy86 wrote: »
    I only play online games occasionally, but always have to wonder what is going through this persons' mind and wind up with a mental image of some emo teen telling themselves 'this music expresses me better than I ever could' or some similar gobsh*tery. :pac:

They just do it to annoy people. It's the only explanation. There's no reason to play music that loud especially when playing a game where the ability to hear things is important (eg. Overwatch, being able to hear enemies approaching or voicelines for ults etc). Yet the sound of it is being drowned out by some sh*t tttuuuunnnneeeessszzzzzz.

Do any games allow you to just boot someone for it, or do it themselves? Would be seriously handy - I'm probably picking up Sea of Thieves for myself and the girlfriend in the next week or two and there's almost nothing as annoying. I'd rather an 11 year old squealing about "f@ggot cnut wanker fcuk yyyyooouuuu!!!" over and over ahead of that sh*te to be honest.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Do any games allow you to just boot someone for it, or do it themselves? Would be seriously handy - I'm probably picking up Sea of Thieves for myself and the girlfriend in the next week or two and there's almost nothing as annoying. I'd rather an 11 year old squealing about "f@ggot cnut wanker fcuk yyyyooouuuu!!!" over and over ahead of that sh*te to be honest.

Well in sea of thieves you can vote to lock them in a cage....

You could just go for a two person crew though so you don't have to matchmake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

They just do it to annoy people. It's the only explanation. There's no reason to play music that loud especially when playing a game where the ability to hear things is important (eg. Overwatch, being able to hear enemies approaching or voicelines for ults etc). Yet the sound of it is being drowned out by some sh*t tttuuuunnnneeeessszzzzzz.
    It's possible they're wearing headphones for better game audio and have to blast their stereo to hear it clearly but that's still no excuse to not mute your mic.

It's possible they're wearing headphones for better game audio and have to blast their stereo to hear it clearly but that's still no excuse to not mute your mic.

Sorry, I meant for other players it's important to hear things, but when the audio in the game is constantly being overrun by someone else's music coming through their mic, it's so much harder for other players to hear the game audio. That's why, imo, it's completely intentional on their part just to annoy other players.

In fairness if I wore a mic while playing online with randomers, I'd probably be banned too.

QUIT F*CKING WHISTLING!
    STOP F*CKING BREATHING!

Hell I have to restrain myself from shouting it at the telly when you can hear them even without a headset/mic.
    This is why Push-To-Talk is so important. I find hurling abuse at random people to be utter loathsome but that doesn't stop me shouting at the screen. :pac:

As for the folk who don't see it that much toxicity online, I imagine it'll depend entirely on what you play and how you play it. Overwatch is my main online game and I'd challenge anyone to put in some decent time in solo-queue competitive play and not come out the other end understanding why Blizzard want to tackle it. Same with some friends who play LoL and DOTA2 a lot with varying comp sizes, any time I ask them has the playerbase improved the answer is usually sarcastic hah or thousand yard stare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Advertisement