Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,961 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I had a long reply, I accidentally reloaded and can't remember half what I wrote. But it went something along the lines of:

• I play gaming for fun, to be the best, to live lives and do things I can't do in real life
    • I play for immersion, which is why I love the DualSense and recently the haptics enabled PSVR2
    • Turn based breaks that immersion, and is only fun while I'm controlling my character(s) and not fun while watching the computer take its turn
    • All based on personal opinion

The Stick of Truth is probably the only turn based game I've ever finished. And that was probably due to how good the rest of the game was and the quick, short battles. Played one of the early Front Mission games until I got stuck in a save death loop. I play games to be the best as that's the most fun to me. God of War, Soul Reaver, the recent Hogwarts Legacy, the earlier Tomb Raiders/Syphon Filters type games, story driven games with (to me) fun combat that isn't frustrating. It's why I'm usually one and done. I get some people prefer challenge, some people prefer the tactics of turn based/RTS, some people like getting kicked in the ba Battle Royales. Each to their own. Turn based is not for me, even if some of them look otherwise amazing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was just trying to say in a convoluted way that you shouldn't let it put you off trying turn based games. It's not a genre and there's so many different types of turn based games. Give them a try if you see them pop up on ps plus or game pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,800 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Gotham Knights is such a weird game. I'm enjoying the bits I'm playing but it's so soulless, WB made an absolute balls of it. I'm gonna trade it as Gamestop is actually giving good value (38 euro, paid 40 for it) so gonna get Resi 4. I just saw this morning that the preorder is discounted from 70 to 60. Checked again before heading in and it's back up to 70. Didn't know GS did discounts on preorders so it's worth keeping an eye on any games ye might be interested in. It's a pity Smyths doesn't offer trade ins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

I think the 10 eur discount on RE4 preorder is for GS Pro Club members. Not sure if it only applies for online orders or also in store tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Last night I decided to boot up my favourite online game back in the day, Battlefield 4. It runs at 4k 119 FPS locked as that is what I limited it to as my Tv is 4k 120Hz. Not one hiccup at all and the game looks like a current gen game the graphics are so good. I was running around maps by myself as there was no players at the time I was on. I was just testing the game out is why I was running around the maps by myself. I used to run out of ammo as I would run along and see something and shoot at it pretending it was another player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

That 59, 119 FPS ... thing is a rounding error on LG TVs I think.

GT7 on PSVR2+PS5 looks pretty special. Another Sony exclusive win.

Racing games are always a tech yardstick and Forza is an XBox showcase. So, I can't imagine MS staying out of this race for long.

MS don't seem to be competing at all. Nintendo and Sony both producing the goods and creating things to get people excited. Maybe Phil Spencer is clueless. I hope Starfield is excellent and comes out a few months before my GamePass sub expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,347 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Why did I mistake Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty with Black Myth: Wukong - Oh man, i wasnt prepared for another Nioh like so soon.

Apparently, i am pro as my level 3 migrated over to pro but the email states is GS+, such a convoluted system.

• Advertisement

Ah checked again, the site had be logged in and then logged out. Checked again and i see is 60 again, will check in store tomorrow if they offer the same or just online. Thanks Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭recyclops

I'm not sure on them ever joining it, its so niche they don't seem to care ( well at least that's what Phil Spencer has been saying) they did kind of wow with a tech demo of hololens years ago but its dead in the water.

Your right in saying Sony and Ninty are selling to those of us to whom gaming is slightly more than a hobby ( and a worrying pricey one to my wife) but MS seem to be going down the everyman route and pushing subscriptions, family subscriptions and offering the better value as an entry level gamer especially if its all about playing with mates on multi plat games.

A Forza vr experience would be exceptional and the power is there in the series x but the blocker will always be the entry price and I would be amazed if anyone is rushing out to pick up a PS5 for VR only at the entry price of €1200 unless your either already invested in the platform and stuck to it, which is becoming more prevalent now with digital purchases.

Good points. VR is very expensive. I guess they (and Nintendo) will wait until the manufacturing costs drop significantly and it becomes mass market. That is really not far off. Maybe 5 years time and these headsets with be budget smartphone prices.

MS seem to be going down the everyman route and pushing subscriptions, family subscriptions and offering the better value as an entry level gamer

I haven't bought a game in a very long time so long I forget which game it was. I have so many games to play on Gamepass. Plus a few games I got free with games with gold back when they gave good games on there. Mentioned GWG as I got Rayman Origins off them that I have had for years but only got around to finishing it recently. Then I also have Rayman Legends off GWG ready to play also.

Does anyone know if you can use Gamestop store credit against Gamestop.ie online order? Store credit gets stored on their system and can be used in any of their stores but can't remember how or if you can use it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Not aware that's an option with GS, be good to know if it is tho

I read that GS Pro bonuses can be gotten online and in store so I'll see in the morning. Between the 34 credit for Gotham Knights, 10% bonus credit on top of that, a voucher i have for 10 euro extra credit when my account migrated over and a tenner of Resi 4 means I'll be getting it for 12 euro, not too shabby but i fully expect GS to throw a spanner in the works in some way.

So, I sorted out all my possessions in Skyrim last night. All the weapons in one drawer, food in another, etc...What a relief. Spring cleaning. I feel like a new man. Now, if only I was as organised in real life. 🤣🤣🤣

Aaaaand they threw a spanner in works :D

Said the trade voucher can't be used as it was only valid with my level 3, not my migrated account to Pro. Then resi 4 will be 70 euro until release day and when i go in to collect it, it will be 60. As Phelps would say "DOUBT".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

It's €60 in Smyths. I'll be getting it off them.

• Advertisement

So Gamestop online cleared this up. If you trade a game in your local shop, ask for the credit to be put on a gamestop giftcard. You can then use that online for purchases except digital purchases.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I started Thief Deadly Shadows and not feeling it like I did with Thief 1 and 2. It suffers from consolisation like Deus Ex Invisible War but it's no where near as bad here. I have the game modded so that there's no loading screens in missions which alleviates the tiny level issue from the original release. The performance is a little janky on a modern system. It runs really well but the mouse movement is not smooth and quite jarring. There's two big annoyances. Black jacking enemies doesn't feel as consistent as it should. I had no problems in the originals but in this game sometimes they will notice you when you get close enough. I'm not sure if this is due to the mod or was an issue with the original. Also the loot requirements for expert are a bit too high, requiring 90% of all loot in the level. In the original game 2 games you would collect this as long as you were thorough in your exploration but I find each mission now ends in a pixel hunt before you exit the stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I do recall the wobbly Blackjack usage all right, and I only ever played on the base version, unmodded.

Would be nice if any of the three games got the remaster treatment; shame the genre as a whole doesn't really have that many spiritual successors. Gloodwood seems to be the best, most recent example though.

The first Thief one is one of the all time greats and nothing has come close. I think Dishonored comes closest but I kind of prefer the world building and lower stakes of the Thief games. It's a shame we lost Looking Glass, I don't think any Western games company has managed to have the same amount of talent, especially when it comes to world building and writing. Such a weird mix of people as well, who knew that hiring members of Boston alt rock band Tribe would lead to such creativity. Those members were actively involved in gameplay innovations in sound, turned in iconic voice performances (SHODAN) and also created some of the all time great videogame levels.

Pretty great Twitter thread on the evolution of rpgs that addresses the waffle going around about jrpg being a derogatory term.

Punch Club 2 coming out to PC and Console 'soon'. Looks a good laugh and reminded me I got the original ages back but only played like 2 minutes. Must give it a proper go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh, sweet. That was a super fun little gem I had totally forgotten; grindy but in a good way. IIRC I actually played the first on mobile.

So the Switch Bayonetta spin off that everyone was moaning about looking too cute has a demo out and it's getting an awful lot of positive response from the demo. It's meant to be excellent once you get out of the tutorial.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

haha yeah i dont get why people do all that membership rigmarole with GS just to get the game at the price most other retailers sell it for by default 😆

• Advertisement

I did it because Gamestop were giving me almost 40 euro credit for Gotham Knights where as Smyths were giving me nothing :)

Advertisement