Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

That didn't last long

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Evade wrote: »
    And for some reason the guy doing this never says anything.

Obviously,the music is so loud he has no idea someone is talking to him:P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

The Curse of Monkey Island has been added to GOG for €7.
    Delighted. Lost my disc of it a decade ago and playing Grim Fandango when it came out free with PS Plus made me re-appreciate how good Curse was comparatively.
    There was no legit way to buy it recently until now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 DabllDoYa

gizmo wrote: »
    This is why Push-To-Talk is so important. I find hurling abuse at random people to be utter loathsome but that doesn't stop me shouting at the screen. :pac:

As for the folk who don't see it that much toxicity online, I imagine it'll depend entirely on what you play and how you play it. Overwatch is my main online game and I'd challenge anyone to put in some decent time in solo-queue competitive play and not come out the other end understanding why Blizzard want to tackle it. Same with some friends who play LoL and DOTA2 a lot with varying comp sizes, any time I ask them has the playerbase improved the answer is usually sarcastic hah or thousand yard stare.

Push to talk is great for PC,
    But me being PS4 I have to actively take my hand off the controller to press my headset.
    Really at a disadvantage when playing something like Planetside 2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

DabllDoYa wrote: »
    Push to talk is great for PC,
    But me being PS4 I have to actively take my hand off the controller to press my headset.
    Really at a disadvantage when playing something like Planetside 2
    Sony should revise the DS4 and add the extra buttons from the Razer Raiju

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Evade wrote: »
    Sony should revise the DS4 and add the extra buttons from the Razer Raiju

Also, they need a better battery. The Switch Pro controller and Xbox One controller battery life blow the PS4 controller out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

wes wrote: »
    Also, they need a better battery. The Switch Pro controller and Xbox One controller battery life blow the PS4 controller out of the water.

Both of my ds4's batteries are atrocious. Best controller of all platforms tho. I base this fact on the 1 time I tried an Xbox controller and Wii remote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

wes wrote: »

I've run into problems with the DS4's battery life.

I prefer the XB1 controller over the DS4.

I've run into problems with the DS4's battery life.

I prefer the XB1 controller over the DS4.

I think I have problems with the battery until I look at the time I was playing lol

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Both of my ds4's batteries are atrocious. Best controller of all platforms tho. I base this fact on the 1 time I tried an Xbox controller and Wii remote.

The Xbox Elite controller is my favourite controller of them all. Switch Pro second though.

The Thumbsticks are to short, the left stick in an awkward spot, battery runs out very quick, and don't like the feel of the triggers (to flat) on the DS4.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dualshock really has a garbage battery. Think it's been improved in later models but that's not much use to me 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I have at least three fully working ones for some reason so always have one fully charged. They used to break down a lot but seems to have gotten better in recent years.

There's a simple solution to the battery, but a long Samsung charger on Amazon and plug it into the nearest socket. Should still work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I know people don't like wired controllers but I far prefer them. No syncing or recharging. I wish there were official ones being made but only Microsoft did it last gen so they ain't coming back

ERG89 wrote: »
    I know people don't like wired controllers but I far prefer them. No syncing or recharging. I wish there were official ones being made but only Microsoft did it last gen so they ain't coming back

Easy way to know who's played a PS2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I've two DS4 controllers and a charging stand so I've always one waiting that's fully charged and I can't say I've ever had any hassle with the controllers syncing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The DS4 has a 1000mAh Battery, the Switch Pro has 1300Mah, and the Xbox one standard has 1400mAh when using the charge and play.

Don't know about the DS4 but the Pro is 6 hours to fully charge, and since you've only got 3 bars of a power indicator I'd say most people just don't charge them fully.

If on Xbox don't use the charge and play, buy some 2000-2500mAh AA and a charge and use that.

The new DS4 can be used wired on the PS4, and both the Xbox and the old DS4 can be used wired on PC. I don't know if you have the option of wired on the Xbox, you can use the controller without a battery but that may just be powered by the console while still using RF to connect as the older DS4 did.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Varik wrote: »
    The DS4 has a 1000mAh Battery, the Switch Pro has 1300Mah, and the Xbox one standard has 1400mAh when using the charge and play.

Don't know about the DS4 but the Pro is 6 hours to fully charge, and since you've only got 3 bars of a power indicator I'd say most people just don't charge them fully.

If on Xbox don't use the charge and play, buy some 2000-2500mAh AA and a charge and use that.

The new DS4 can be used wired on the PS4, and both the Xbox and the old DS4 can be used wired on PC. I don't know if you have the option of wired on the Xbox, you can use the controller without a battery but that may just be powered by the console while still using RF to connect as the older DS4 did.

I've the Charge and Play kit since launch on the One and it's still giving me about 40 hours of gaming between charges (I charge it once every three - four weeks).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Had a gamecube actually. :o
    Played the 360 most of the previous gen.
    Varik wrote: »
    The new DS4 can be used wired on the PS4, and both the Xbox and the old DS4 can be used wired on PC.

I actually leave my PS4 controller charging the whole time, but worry I may fu*k up the battery doing that : /

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I play as the controller is charging all the time, maybe that's why they seemed to break so often but don't really think it does any damage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Great, now I feel old.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I've the Charge and Play kit since launch on the One and it's still giving me about 40 hours of gaming between charges (I charge it once every three - four weeks).

The Play and Charge kit is excellent. I think anyone who hasn't it for the XB1 should get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,696 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    The Play and Charge kit is excellent. I think anyone who hasn't it for the XB1 should get it.

I had two of them for my Xbox 360 and neither would charge the batteries. Always had to leave them plugged in. Obviously I was just unlucky with them but they'd have been great if they worked. Selling the controllers with normal batteries is just ludicrous.

That said the batteries on the PS4 controllers are very disappointing, especially compared with the life of the PS3 batteries. I do as someone else says above with having one controller charging while I play on the other one, then swap them when the battery gets low. Works grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

My DS4 just flat out stopped charging one day, came back for 2-3 days after, then went again... apparently the only fix is to physically deconstruct it, but some third party replacement parts, and screw/solder/whatever them in.

I have since been the proud owner of an Xbox 360 controller, and it works fine for me (plus I'm on PC where DS4 controllers can at times be a hassle, though I'd be more inclined to blame Micrsoft than Sony for that). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Wii U Pro Contoller has a ridiculous battery life, it lasted months on a single charge!! Granted I wasn’t using it a lot but it holds its charge better than any other wireless controller.

I find the PS4 controller pretty decent. Lower the dim and turn off the feedback and make the auto off 10 minutes for when using Netflix.

Penn wrote: »
    I had two of them for my Xbox 360 and neither would charge the batteries. Always had to leave them plugged in. Obviously I was just unlucky with them but they'd have been great if they worked. Selling the controllers with normal batteries is just ludicrous.

That said the batteries on the PS4 controllers are very disappointing, especially compared with the life of the PS3 batteries. I do as someone else says above with having one controller charging while I play on the other one, then swap them when the battery gets low. Works grand.

Oh no the 360 ones were awful, no comparison to the One version. I get about a week and a half of heavy gaming on mine for One and the charge kit is over 3 years old, less if head set is being used though. I have to charge the DS4 every time I finish in the evening.

The other thing I like is the length of the USB cable MS supply vs the PS4.

Favourite joypad was the GameCube joypad, aside from that ludicrously short cable.

I find I generally prefer Xbox Joypads over the PlayStation equivalents. Out of the Xbox family, I think the X360 is best. Out of PlayStation, I think that the DS4 is best, even with the shorter battery life.

Just on the battery life, I've seen a few "hacks" where people have upgraded the DS4 battery to something with a little more capacity; even people buying a DS3 to cannibalise the battery from there.

Spotted a post earlier that mentioned about using a mobile phone charger with the DS4. At launch, I remember problems with that... I think the earlier DS4 didn't like the fast chargers, and that screwed the battery entirely. I'd be careful of going that route.

The PlayStation controller was always horrible. Had some nice features, the cable was way longer than other consoles which was very welcome and the fact it took power meant it didn't need batteries when they added features like rumble. It was generally regarded as pretty crappy back in 94/95 but I think there's a Stockholm syndrome effect since it's been with us so long.

I was so glad they finally changed to the dualshock 4. Fantastic controller despite the pants battery life.

It's still not Gamecube controller tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Saturn pad is the greatest, people just dont know the glory of it

• Advertisement

Sieghardt wrote: »
    Saturn pad is the greatest, people just dont know the glory of it

Atari Jaguar begs to differ :P

Advertisement