Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

Sorry I was more kind of asking how you can tell the difference. I can see some bad reviews that don't fit the review bomb description such as its very short, poor story, too generic etc

But i think i know the answer, I think its when there is a vast difference between critic review score and user review score that it indicates its review bombed.

You'd have to wonder why they don't do something about it. You could have verified reviewers via steam and check that they've purchased it and then show a "verified owner" score. Doesn't help with PS5 exclusives though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What's the reason for the review bombing? Is it because it's PS5 only, I mean that's fair enough as it's a particular dick move by Sony and quite anti-consumer. If it's because of 'the gay' then they should all **** off.

Honestly if there's a legitimate reason to review bomb a game (developer is a racist/transphobic POS or there's performance issues) then it's a good thing. The review bombing on Steam has warned me off games that were terrible ports or had been abandoned unfixed by the developer. It's a good protest method and if it hurts sales then it forces developers to fix things and do better, which has happened on PC games. But if it's just anti-LGBTQ+ stuff then it's just hate speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

Review bombing is never ok. Not even when the publisher makes a dick move. You haven't played the game, you can't/shouldn't leave a review, simple as.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A quick glance at the Metacritic user reviews - and just FYI I would never recommend looking at the Metacritic user reviews - and it’s primarily raging bigots complaining about it having gay characters.

I know it's probably a safe assumption to make, but how do you know they haven't played the game? The ones complaining they can't play it on PS4 of course, but if review bombing in general is people who haven't played the game?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nothing wrong with protesting, as long as it's not bigoted hate speech which it look like here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

On a different note, have been playing Everspace 2 a little bit and I’m really enjoying it. Really scratches the arcadey space shooter itch. It has plenty of light sim elements for those who want them but the core gameplay is really sharp, enjoyable and accessible. Just feels like a fast-paced shooter within a 360 degree space. I’d definitely recommend mouse & keyboard though - the game pad controls sound a fair bit more convoluted.

Please delete. I've got to stop getting caught up in these debates....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

It can be a mediocre game and still be bombed - one doesn't exclude the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I had a reply typed too, but deleted it in favour of this stance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

GTA IV will be 15 years old on Saturday. It was released on XB360 and PS3 on the 29th of April 2008.

Hey cousin, let's play bowling!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

At that time time, you could have assumed that there'd be 4 or 5 more GTA's in the next 15 years, but there's only been 1 🤣

The more I think about GTA 4 the more I realise it wasn't actually a very good game. It was technically impressive but the missions were awful, the social mechanics were bad and the car physics were no where near as much fun as the PS2 games. At least the dlc was a big step up on quality.

It did provide one of my all time best gaming moments. The first time I turned it on I got an invite to a game with a load of boards regulars. Never experienced such mayhem in a multiplayer game before or since. Could never repeat it online, just something about the craic and the people online that time, perfect craic storm.

Post edited by Jordan 199 on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Early day GTA 4 online was absolutely brilliant. Absolute chaos as you described.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

GTA 4 online was a special place, a simple place where it contained nothing and you had to make your own fun. Me and a couple of friends would play, couldn't believe we were experiencing an actual GTA Online game, great buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I enjoyed GTA4 mostly just because it was a huge step up from San Andreas. The city, the graphics, the physics, the mini games... Even the story and characters were a lot more fleshed out and more interesting.

But, the driving was fairly awful, the camera while driving was absolute nonsense to the point where I constantly had to use the right thumbstick to angle the camera so I could see ahead, most of the new stuff you could do was good at first but you'd lose interest in repeating them, and mission structure was okay but also bland a lot of the time.

But it did give rise to one of my favourite ever DLCs, The Lost And Damned. That f*cking hooked me in a way I never expected, especially as I was watching Sons Of Anarchy around the same time.

Johnny Klebitz was a great character in TLaD.

I lovethe radio stations in GTA IV. I mainly listen to Liberty Rock Radio and LCHC, followed by Vladivostok FM and Radio Broker, but of late I was listening to The Classics for hip-hop action.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Couple of days ago I got my replacement OLED 4K Tv and after using it all I can say is they are not all they are cracked up to be. I don't think they are anything special or worth the premium. You do have inky blacks but my old Tv was just as good and then the 10 bit panel. My other 4k Tv's were 8 bit plus 2 bit FRC for fake 10 bit and they are exactly the same as this Tv. Google 10 bit OLED Tv banding and everyone is the same as me with banding so it's not my panel. Makes me wonder are they actually 10 bit at all.

tl:dr OLED is not worth the premium.

• Advertisement

Honestly I've found LCD quality absolute crap since they were first introduced. The colours are always washed out, black levels are awful making dark scenes in movies indecipherable and then it's all compounded by the lies about specs like made up contrast ratios with no standardised level meaning they pull them out of the manfacturer's arse. I've a LG C2 OLED and it's the first flat panel I've seen that isn't plasma that comes close to the picture quality from a good CRT. I'd never go back to a LCD screen and my current IPS monitor is annoying me because of how bad it is in comparison. I'm awaiting OLED monitors that aren't outrageously big.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I also have a C2 OLED. It may be my eyes but what would I know my old Samsung TN monitor that I have years looked good to me. I even bought a 144Hz Freesync 27 inch 1440p IPS monitor many years ago when they were at the height to being the best you could get at the time and I wasn't impressed with that either. I even looked up settings for the monitor that I tried and who ever made up the settings must have loved the over saturated look as I had to go back to stock settings as in my eyes it looked too fake. Mind you back to the OLED it isn't over saturated and pics look real so that is a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

The undisputed greatest game of all time is 4 years old today. Time for another play through soon methinks

Ah Days Gone. The much loved Days Gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Ye gonads happens to be an anagram of Days Gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Days gone is no ace combat 7

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Say what ye want lads but it's damn fun riding around the open world on that bike. Just buy fuel before ye leave camp, fast travel to the starting point that or drive to a fuel station to fill up for free and enjoy the broken road. Deacon could do with a mute button though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Advertisement