Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Sandy Ego.

Which is actually a better name than Deacon St. John.

Quantum Break is back on Game Pass and this time around it's on PC Game Pass.

One of he few games where I feel the urge to play again but it never got the fps boost on Xbox which put me off giving it another go. I Last played it on Xbox One, so a PC playthrough could well be worth a revist. It's long enough now that I don't remember much about the story, I just remember I really enjoyed it.

Ha what a badly timed comment. No COD today, but hey Quantum Break is back in Game Pass 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭recyclops

Quantum break is a great single player shooter, solid enough story was a bit naff but enjoyable from start to finish

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Not much of a gamer so excuse the dumb question. Finally getting Fibre to the house with unlimited data, rather than the 320GB 4G connection I have been using.

For that reason I am finally going to give in and get Play Station Plus for the house. I was going to wait until the Fibre was connected.

However ........

I noticed an article that some good games (including Fallout 4, Bloodborne, Batman and God of war + about 10 more) are being removed from the service in the first week of May.

If I sign up for PS+ now and claim those games, do they remain mine forever (Like Epic Games) or will they disappear if I do not download them at once? As in, if I sign up now and claim them, can I still download and fully use those games in a couple of months?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The games on the PS+ Collection, which are being removed next month, will be accessible as long as you've claimed them, they're in your library and you're subscribed to the service. Just like the usual three monthly games. You can download them whenever you want. https://www.theverge.com/2023/2/1/23581459/ps5-playstation-plus-collection-sony-greatest-hits-stop

However, games that 'expire' on the higher PS+ subscription tiers like Extra / Premium will not be playable once they've been removed from the service AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,579 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Once you claim them (ie. Add them to your library), they'll be yours to keep even if you don't download them. You'll be able to play them so long as you still have a PS+ subscription.

Those games were part of the PS+ Collection, an offering of aboout 20 games, mostly from the PS4, for when people got a PS5 (particularly for anyone who may have been coming from Xbox over to Playstation). However now that we're 2.5 years after the launch of the PS5, the offer is being removed. But so long as you add the games to your account before May 9th (I think that's the date but might be worth checking), you'll still have those games after that date, but again, so long as you have an active PS+ subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Ah thanks all. That was some fast answering.

I was confused by reading that games that are removed, are then unplayable. Some places I was reading said claimed games are yours forever, others saying you can not play after removal.

But makes sense now when you mention the premium offers, compared to other offers.

Right so, might sign up this weekend, claim them, and download them when this sexy new FibreOptic network finally comes on line. They've been digging up the roads and paths for nearly 3 years here running cable to the whole town! But the cable is finally sticking out of the ground outside our front door now and just needs to be connected to the router in the basement.

1GB internet finally. Hmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

ME2 XBox Series X Legendary Edition, I can't tell the difference between performance and quality mode. Usually it's really obvious, i.e. the frame rate tanks in quality mode.

So, ... There isn't..it's 4K/60 FPS and 1440p/120 FPS. I need to try out the 120 FPS mode before I finish the 2nd game. 😁😁😁

As always ... thanks to digital foundry ...

Really enjoying this game now. I usually don't enjoy shooters, but this is a relaxed shooter with a great story and characters. Also, no open world shenanigans. What a relief.

I find it funny that one of the ship's engineers is Scottish. Like in Star Trek 😁

Also, it's pretty great that your decisions can affect the outcome across the trilogy of games. I could look up the "right" decisions, but that'd just ruin the experience.

I really knew nothing about these games apart from them being highly rated. It's so nice to experience a game or movie this with little knowledge like this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

****, **** news that Waypoint is being shut down by Vice. One of the few outlets left interested in serious game criticism, as well as a delightful podcast. Hope the team there lands on their feet, but depressing how few outlets are left that haven’t been absolutely gutted through corporate shenanigans, takeovers and rounds & rounds of layoffs. Established voices can break out and hopefully do something independent, but increasingly few outlets for newer voices to build their profile and for the longer form writing and criticism that larger teams and freelancer budgets allow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Great games, and yes, you could look up the right path, but most of the decisions are usually easy enough to figure out, so really role play how you want. Of course, you'll get to the end and there'll be one of three very similar endings, all of which disappoint in various ways.

Ah, it's the journey, not the ending 👍 just checked where I got my physical copy from (even though I'm currently playing on GamePass) ....12 quid from CEX 😁

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Oh yeah, it's definitely the journey in this case, I've replayed those games many times, even knowing the ending would disappoint no matter what.

This series is ripe for film adaption.

However I think the glut of Star Wars/Marvel STUFF has sucked the air out of the sci fi market. Which is a complete shame.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd be hard pressed to call mass effect sci Fi. It's space opera and very generic. The fact that it's playable as a game is what sets it apart, as a film I think it won't stand out.

Film/streaming TV series could dig into the backstory of the characters + you've got all the lore in the codex to dig from including FTL travel, mass displacement, precursor alien civilisations, speciesism, generic engineering, plagues, genocide, Scottish ship engineers 😁 ... not to mention all the love interests ...

It would have to be deeply character based, maybe with episodes from each characters perspective.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I hate to break it to people but the lore just isn't that interesting and the plot is the same plot of every Bioware game. The story of an ancient evil returning is just off the shelf fantasy storytelling and the game is just D&D with a futuristic skin. The most interesting the game gets is Mass Effect 2 but then it's just a fantasy version of the dirty dozen.

I feel a TV adaptation is going to suffer even worse from the 'actually, I've seen this all before' feeling a lot of people got from the Last of Us series.

I think a lot of people equate good videogame writing to a game aping other media. Red Dead 2 is the worst example for me. Every set piece is stolen from another western and it's just a mishmash of the Wild Bunch and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid with not an ounce of originality.

Lol, I get that from every TV show these days.

Your example though, of The Last of Us, there's no way that it could be considered a failure, it was a massive success. I'd have said before hand that it'd be so unoriginal that people wouldn't like it, but man, was I wrong. Between that and the Super Mario Movie, every video game property is going to be looked at for adaptation, and Mass Effect, while very Space Opera, would be ripe for TV.

I think the last of us was a much better candidate for adaptation. Better writing and there was an appetite for zombie media after walking dead was so disappointing. And they still tried their best to ruin it with that stupid tendril thing.

I'm pretty sure mass effect would be more along the lines of the awful Halo series than Last of Us.

Put then there's no accounting for taste when the super safe Mario movie is making bank. No need for quality of you can laser target your audience like that movie does.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,021 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

May need a videogame adaptations thread at some point.

Twisted Metal teaser.

All 10 half hour episodes release July 27th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I'm not sure there are right paths as such. I've tried doing the right thing and it ended up getting someone killed 😂.

Fabulous series though. It's hard to play 1-3 back to back I found. Had to spread it out a bit.

Man I want to play again Mass Effect now. I remember absolutely nothing about the story, with the legendary enhancement it might as well be a new game.

Also looking forward to Outer Worlds 2, I can't find a release date for that. If it's soon I might hold off for that otherwise I'll get RPG overload.

Started using HDR on my monitor. I've always found it dark and dull but decided to stick with it until I fully adjust and now I can't go back to my previous bright, glaring settings.

Also used windows auto-hdr on curious case of benetict. It's pretty good. I've used it before on the xbox and loved the vibrant colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,798 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Hollow Knight, **** incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Might not be a bad idea - reading just now that there's a Vampire Survivors animated series on the way, too. Vampire flippin' Survivors!

“The most important thing in Vampire Survivors is the story, so it's a dream come true to see what started as a little indie game I made on my weekends come to life as an animated TV show! It’s also great to be partnering up with such experienced and talented people to make the show. I do wonder if they've realised that there isn't a single vampire in Vampire Survivors, though,” says Luca Galante, founder of poncle in a press release.

😂

Ha, curious case of benedict cumberbatch. I'm never going to get the name of that game right 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I did not know of the existence of a Twisted Metal show, and while that teaser has very little, I'm liking the sound of it. This is how announcements should work. "Hey, we made this, it's out in 2 months". Unlike what crowd was it announcing a date for a teaser for a game due out next year or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

HDR shouldn't be dark, I think. I don't use it much myself but when I do it's brighter than SDR with pretty high contrast.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,019 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What monitor do you have? HDR isn't dark or dull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,798 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I used HDR on my PS5 for about a year before realising it wasn't supposed to look like that, i thought some menu screens were supposed to be bright grey until i looked to a video and they were bright white. I turned off HDR on the PS5 and it looked way better. Turns out my LG 8500 does have HDR capability but it's not very good. Have to wait for a better TV before turning on HDR again. It's mad how dull it made every game look.

Advertisement