Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Favourite joypad was the GameCube joypad, aside from that ludicrously short cable.

Wired XBOX 360 joypad has to be my favourite ever.
    The DS4 is nice too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Looks like we might be getting a remake/hd verison of Ace Combat 4, 5 and Zero. I really hope this is the case, as i absolutely loved 4 and 5.

https://gematsu.com/2018/03/job-listing-suggests-ace-combat-04-5-zero-remasters-development

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

Kiith wrote: »
    Looks like we might be getting a remake/hd verison of Ace Combat 4, 5 and Zero. I really hope this is the case, as i absolutely loved 4 and 5.

https://gematsu.com/2018/03/job-listing-suggests-ace-combat-04-5-zero-remasters-development
    5 is one of my all time favourite games. I hope they don't mess with the controls, Ace Combat had the perfect button layout. None of the power and yaw on the same stick and no free look that seems to be universal nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The PlayStation controller was always horrible.

It wasnt as bad as the N64 controller. Personally I love the ps4 Ds controller and I hope with the ps5 and ps6 Sony continue with there tradition of never making a big change to the controller

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Greyfox wrote: »
    It wasnt as bad as the N64 controller. Personally I love the ps4 Ds controller and I hope with the ps5 and ps6 Sony continue with there tradition of never making a big change to the controller

It's real competitors were the Megadrive 6-button, Sega Saturn and SNES pads which were some of, if not the best controllers ever made.

• Advertisement

I find the SNES controller quite hard to use for prolonged periods now, it was the job when I was a smallie though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,797 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

XBox controller the best for me. The Playstation pad was always a turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I actually like both controllers of current gen. Played more with ps4 last year, but got myself xbox one x in January and completely switched to that. Did not had issues jumping from one controller to other one and never felt like one is better then other. Have to admit that battery life is a lot better on xbox one, but then again my ps4 is launch day and controllers are very damn old. Still work though and still get the a full session out of it.
    On the other hand I had launch xbox one with plug and play kit that I got pretty much at the same time. Its completely dead and had to get new one for x.

Ps3 controller was shocking. I think we can all agree on that. Its flet like a toy that came out of Kinder surprise. Triggers could feck right off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

The GC and XB1 controllers are my current favourites.

I prefer the sticks and the feel of the XB1 controller to the DS4's.

My least favourite is probably the N64's, due to its joystick and probably also its layout.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd really like the N64 controller if the stick wasn't made of spiderwebs and pixie dust and held in place by the sheer optimism of the engineers that developed it. You'd be lucky to get 4 months out of one before it was banjaxed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I'd really like the N64 controller if the stick wasn't made of spiderwebs and pixie dust and held in place by the sheer optimism of the engineers that developed it. You'd be lucky to get 4 months out of one before it was banjaxed.

I must be really lucky because I got years out of my N64 controller :o

I must be really lucky because I got years out of my N64 controller :o

You obviously never played the Mario Party games :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Definitely agree on the N64 controllers, I liked it overall but the stick in the middle would get loose as nobody's business insanely fast.

Dual controller styles on Goldeneye were a death sentence for N64 controllers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

That N64 controller was a hideous looking piece of shít.

That N64 controller was a hideous looking piece of shít.

Yeah but as Abraham Lincoln once said: "Anything is a dildo if you're brave enough".

The Nal wrote: »
    Yeah but as Abraham Lincoln once said: "Anything is a dildo if you're brave enough".
    No wonder the sticks didn't last…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

No wonder the sticks didn't last…

Why do you think he cut down that cherry tree.

You obviously never played the Mario Party games :D

The first one I did but never enjoyed them :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

What are people's most hated puzzles in gaming?

Was watching an Assassin's Creed 2 video the other day and it reminded me how much I hated the spinning disc renaissance painting puzzles.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »

Was watching an Assassin's Creed 2 video the other day and it reminded me how much I hated the spinning disc renaissance painting puzzles.

The water temples in Zelda games. Raise, lower, repeat, spend a day pissing about trying to find one key, give up and use a walkthrough.

Speaking of Zelda.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

I've always thought those Unreal Engine demos of Nintendo games look awful. Completely sterile. Clearly talented people making them though, it's just the art direction always looks horrible.

Those pipe puzzles in Bioshock to unlock stuff. They really annoyed the piss out of me.

Sliding block picture puzzles can **** right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Sliding block picture puzzles can **** right off.

Only played Resident Evil 4 for the first time a few months ago and let out an audible "Oh no..." when one of those popped up in Ashley's section.

Youtubed it immediately. Was not putting myself through the stress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I've always thought those Unreal Engine demos of Nintendo games look awful. Completely sterile. Clearly talented people making them though, it's just the art direction always looks horrible.

Not the biggest fan of the art direction either. Not to mention the UI of some of them.

Soul Reaver had some hair pulling puzzles! No wonder Im balding.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Soul Reaver had some hair pulling puzzles! No wonder Im balding.

But I still loved every second of those games!

The Witness and its puzzles annoy me. I suppose because there's no clear indication of where to go next, and that's probably due to every other game hand holding you.

But I still loved every second of those games!

The Witness and its puzzles annoy me. I suppose because there's no clear indication of where to go next, and that's probably due to every other game hand holding you.

I gave up on that game because I couldn't handle feeling so stupid…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

One puzzle I encountered in The Testament of Sherlock Holmes was where you had to move the Knight so it touches every square. (youtube was used to solve it)
    Think it was in Professor Layton as well. Speaking of Layton, I had to look up the chocolate bar solution.
    latest?cb=20110121171434

Advertisement