Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Might consider picking up The Witness as it's currently 60% off on Steam until 2nd April.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Might consider picking up The Witness as it's currently 60% off on Steam until 2nd April.

That has been on my wishlist on steam for quite some time but I think I will wait till it's on sale the next time when ever that is until I pick it up as the amount of games I have unplayed on Xbox and PC is crazy..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That has been on my wishlist on steam for quite some time but I think I will wait till it's on sale the next time when ever that is until I pick it up as the amount of games I have unplayed on Xbox and PC is crazy..

The Witness is free next month with Games With Gold on Xbox.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don’t think a single game has gotten me as completely as The Witness got me, or at least only a handful of others have (alongside only The Last Guardian in recent times). Completely synced in with its design philosophy, world design and underlying themes and I was hooked for weeks. For a game where the prize is always ‘more puzzles’ (to put it simplistically) the sense of pure satisfaction and reward I got out of it was far more pronounced than any loot drop, high score or achievement chime ever gives (although to be fair the achievement pop-up for completing The Challenge after several evenings of borderline obsession was a great relief :pac:). I mean, it’s easy to just push aside the ‘dont use a guide’ advice, but the sense of revelation when you figure out its secrets and depths for yourself is pretty ****ing immense.

It’s a game I see why people didn’t / wouldn’t like, but it was that one-in-a-hundred sort of game for me: the sort of experience where I went ‘yes, *this* is why I play games’

Looks like I'm going to get it while it's on sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

Soul Reaver had some hair pulling puzzles! No wonder Im balding.
    Now there's a game that could do with a remake following the original plan for the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thought the witness was boring. Dudnt click with me.

Saying that don't let it put you off trying it. It's certainly different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Yeah, I got stuck at some parts and gave up.
    I know the train of thought is to leave them and come back later and it will click...but I couldn't , and got frustrated.
    Then when I went back a few weeks later I forgot where I had been or what puzzles I had solved and was wandering around aimlessly.

3 parts that come to mind are , some statues in a garden I think, underneath an Egyptian thing and then when you take a boat around the back to some place.

I enjoyed the NOClip Documentary on it though...that was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Might watch that documentary, already uninstalled it, seemed like it should have been good but it just didn’t seem to gel for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I don’t think a single game has gotten me as completely as The Witness got me, or at least only a handful of others have (alongside only The Last Guardian in recent times). Completely synced in with its design philosophy, world design and underlying themes and I was hooked for weeks. For a game where the prize is always ‘more puzzles’ (to put it simplistically) the sense of pure satisfaction and reward I got out of it was far more pronounced than any loot drop, high score or achievement chime ever gives (although to be fair the achievement pop-up for completing The Challenge after several evenings of borderline obsession was a great relief :pac:). I mean, it’s easy to just push aside the ‘dont use a guide’ advice, but the sense of revelation when you figure out its secrets and depths for yourself is pretty ****ing immense.

It’s a game I see why people didn’t / wouldn’t like, but it was that one-in-a-hundred sort of game for me: the sort of experience where I went ‘yes, *this* is why I play games’
    I picked it up a few weeks ago, downloaded and played it for an evening and while it seems pretty great I have not got back around to it yet. It kind of reminds me of Zelda BOTW, only if the entire game was set inside those ancient/underground puzzle tombs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Plague Maiden

Is Smyths in Nass open today?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

J. Marston wrote: »
    What are people's most hated puzzles in gaming?

Was watching an Assassin's Creed 2 video the other day and it reminded me how much I hated the spinning disc renaissance painting puzzles.

The gyro puzzles in Zelda:BOTW were annoying. I generally solved them by turning the maze upside down and using at as a bat to hit where I needed it to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Some puzzles are blindingly obvious but if your brain isn't in synch you're in trouble. I got stuck for a week in the Resident Evil Crow/Painting room. All you had to do was flick the switch from youngest to oldest but no didn't get it. I was looking for anagrams, colours, mythical references, when it finally clicked I was so happy, shortly after met the first hunter, which ended unpleasantly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah. Over thinking is my biggest enemy.

The code to contact meryl on the back of the metal gear box got me. I was looking everywhere. The serial numbers. The bar codes. Anything. Eventually just tried every frequency until I hit it.

It was only after I found it did it click that I was a dumb ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Also, I remember doing this for far too long...

QeqUcnY.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,797 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

This part of Monkey 2 had me stumped for days

Monkey_Island_2_%2528MS-DOS%2529_29.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The gyro puzzles in Zelda:BOTW were annoying. I generally solved them by turning the maze upside down and using at as a bat to hit where I needed it to go.

Did them in handheld mode. Its stupid. I looked stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The Nal wrote: »
    This part of Monkey 2 had me stumped for days

voodoo

Similarly...
    819940-the-secret-of-monkey-island-fm-towns-screenshot-directions.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,797 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Star Lord wrote: »
    Similarly...

Oh shít yeah. Still have nightmares about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yeah. Over thinking is my biggest enemy.

The code to contact meryl on the back of the metal gear box got me. I was looking everywhere. The serial numbers. The bar codes. Anything. Eventually just tried every frequency until I hit it.

It was only after I found it did it click that I was a dumb ass.

First time I played it was when I rented it from Chartbusters.
    There was NO back of the box to even look at. So I had NO IDEA what they were referring to at the time :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

CEX giving away a console bundle for Easter. Answer 8 questions and it will determine your best match (PS4 Pro, Xbox or switch. 1st question asks which controller is the best, thought it fit the thread :)

https://xd.wayin.com/display/container/dc/b9c0f75a-fddb-4c1d-a0f7-902ecdd835e6/details

Also, I remember doing this for far too long...

QeqUcnY.gif

Oh boy. I got a time over from it in my first attempt during my first full playthrough of S3&K.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So was just wondering, what's the longest linear single player game? So games like Uncharted, Mario, God of War where there's no or very little backtracking, no open world and no side quests to pad it out. Seems to be 10-15 hours for a modern game like Uncharted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So was just wondering, what's the longest linear single player game? So games like Uncharted, Mario, God of War where there's no or very little backtracking, no open world and no side quests to pad it out. Seems to be 10-15 hours for a modern game like Uncharted.

This gen, Persona 5 has probably taken me the longest. 100+ hours. There is some stat building involved though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

What are people's most hated puzzles in gaming?

Was watching an Assassin's Creed 2 video the other day and it reminded me how much I hated the spinning disc renaissance painting puzzles.

In Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade on PC back in the day... There was a part where you had to play a particular tune on skulls or bones (or something) to open a door and progress. God I hated that so much. Still angry just thinking about 20 odd years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭panevthe3rd

I would say Final Fantasy 13.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    In Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade on PC back in the day... There was a part where you had to play a particular tune on skulls or bones (or something) to open a door and progress. God I hated that so much. Still angry just thinking about 20 odd years later.

Are you sure you weren't watching The Goonies? :)

I would say Final Fantasy 13.

Would it and Persona be linear if they involve things like grinding, which I'm assuming they do being rpgs

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭panevthe3rd

Would it and Persona be linear if they involve things like grinding, which I'm assuming they do being rpgs

I dont remember there being any grinding in ff13 unless you did the sidequeasts near the very end of the game. Super linear game if you ignored those. I think the first 80% of the game was linear with no sidequeasts at all. Long time since I played it though so could be wrong..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Are you sure you weren't watching The Goonies? :)

!

Advertisement