Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll defend Gears whenever it's brought it. It's as dumb as **** but it never pretends otherwise and mechanically it's a fantastic shooter. I always wonder why the active reload mechanic hasn't been stolen wholesale by other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

Returnal has stolen it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Saw this on r/gaming this morning 😀

I did laugh when I heard pissfilter used for the first time. Really does sum up how awful looking those PS360 games looked. Some of the games from that era have aged worse than anything other console gen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The only game I recognise there is GTA IV on the top left.

GTAIV. Gears of War (could be sequels)

Fallout 3 (maybe new vegas). Resident Evil 5

Resistance (think it's the second game). MGS4 (the most piss filter game ever made)

They're kind of console era defining games, not exactly hidden gems or indies!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Top-left: GTA IV

Top-right: Gear of War

Middle-Left: fallout 3

Middle-right: Resident Evil 5

Bottom-left: .... hmmm, Resistance?

Bottom-right: ... Metal Gear Solid 4?

I was looking through game stats on the Xbox app, and it tells you how much pork buns you consumed in Sleeping Dogs.

I thought I ate more pork buns than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I wonder what the reason was for it? Was it a technical issue or purely the "style at the time" where they tried to be more "real and gritty".

But it was very noticeable. I even had the Decky Vibrant Deck boosting the saturation to help it out a little. I think the later titles 4&5 were much more colourful. But it's been a while since I've played them.

Getting through Gears 2 now, it never got a remaster so it's the 360 version. So on top of the brown you also have lots of jittering in the background. But still fun. Think I'll play most of it on the Steam Deck as it looks better on the tiny screen.

It was a style of the time influenced by movies. Basically over use of colour grading became massive in films after the Matrix (although Metal Gear Solid on the PS1 actually did it first, although it wasn't a new film technique either). You'll see a lot of films from the time looking massively desaturated because of colour grading and games decided to copy the look.

There's an image on line of Resident Evil 5 without the colour grading and it looks gorgeous and colourful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

You've had more than me anyway!

Tbh, I first played SD on the PlayStation, my Xbox stats are for a quick replay 👍

I'm disappointed you killed less pedestrians than I did 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I notice a lot of "first party" stuff on XBox to be piss filtery. And things are hard to discern. Even something like Super Lucky Tales is muted. The Forza games pop, and Ori maybe, but that's all I can think of ..Flight Sim pops Psychonauts 2, Sea of thieves .. just don't pop.

Whereas as AC Odyssey/Origins do on Xbox ...

PS games first party games are vibrant and pop ... E.g. Spiderman, Rachet and clank, God of war, Uncharted 4, Astros playroom

And of course Nintendo is king of vibrant colourful games.

Just wondering ...

Or am I imagining this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Grounded,Pentiment, Sea of Theives have a lot of colour in them, Hi-Fi rush is another with some serious pop in it. Psychonauts 2 is another.

Plenty of Sony first party and exclusives were piss filter ****. Late games dropped it but Resistance, Killzone, MGS4, Motorstorm, Lair, Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, inFamous, Socom, God of War 3, Heavy Rain. All piss filter nonsense.

It's not an attack on MS ... Just thinking they need more "pop" to sell their platform. Certainly Forza Horizon 4/5 is a platform seller and looks beautiful.

I updated my list above and included Psychonauts 2 and Sea of thieves as games that I think don't pop. Or don't grab me colour pallette/artistically wise the same way Super Mario Odyssey or BOTW does or AC Origins/Odyssey.

Psychonauts 2, Sea of thieves are not beautiful games to me. They look bland and even ugly. Hi fi rush ... meh.

So, I'm looking for beautiful and pop to be a platform seller.

If you think those three games aren't colourful and gorgeous then I can't recommend anything else because your taste seems to be broken.

Ok - I've been exposed to too much Nintendo. Time to dial it down. 😁

• Advertisement

Piss on the Piss Filter would be a fine name for a video game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,394 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sorry, Psychonauts 2 is a game that has probably the most vibrant individual level in any video game. If that isn’t colourful enough, I don’t know what is!

Also find it preposterous to suggest Hi-Fi Rush doesn’t pop. Individual taste and all that, but that’s probably the most aesthetically ambitious cel-shaded art style in a generation on most objective and subjective measures!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,020 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

MAybe it's not a piss filter and it's just that all the games are set in Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I think they were all made by the long haired fella from the Chemical Brothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I've boosted the saturation on the steam deck way up and now it's all blue skies and daisies and it looks way better.

Until you close the game and everything in the steam library is glowing 🤣

I just finished Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. Short and sweet.

It's colourful but kinda ugly. And hi fi rush felt flat to me. Great games but they have limited appeal and don't sell consoles.

The stuff that sells consoles are the more universal appeal and eye candy games like Horizon Forbidden West, Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, God of War, SpiderMan remastered, Uncharted 4. And if you have amazing developers like Nintendo you get eye candy games and incredible gameplay in 1080p and no HDR or RT. BOTW, Super Mario Odyssey/Kart, Animal Crossing ...

I would say the Forza games are the only XBox exclusive games that can compete here.

Ori and the will of the wisps was special on XBox, but that's not an exclusive anymore and that team are no longer XBox only developers. They have a Zelda like game on the way, which I bet will look and play great, but it won't be an Xbox exclusive.

In the near future, I do think Starfield has a fighting chance. It does look incredible in places. If the gameplay holds up there will be a load of Series S at least sold as second consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Probably a niche enough query but maybe somebody here could advise. I've recently gotten back into gaming and was going to replay some old Final Fantasy games. Would anyone know if the PS4 remasters are enough of an upgrade to be worth buying? I've FF8, 10,10-2 and 12 on PS1/PS2. From reading around, FF12 seems to be the only one that's a substantial upgrade over the original?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AidanParkes

м

Playstation exclusives are something with something a friend gave me his ps 4 pro and I tried to go through all the exclusives as quickly as possible. From what I went through: Uncharted 4 (it seemed boring to me) God of War (Very strong game) God of war ragnarok (probably the best game I played) Bloodborne (not bad, but I like souls more) The last of us (not bad but already old) and right now I'm going through the second part of the last of us and it seems like it's not bad. And I also spend all my free time on UFC 4, I just can’t understand how they humiliate me there.

There are a couple of decent games on HBOX, but they're all on PC too. Forza is a very cool game. and the sea of thieves is fun, you can run with friends. THE ONLY THAT XBOX is stronger than Sony is with its POWER characteristics and Subscription

• Advertisement

They're all still classics. The remasters are all pretty high quality as well. FF10-2 also has content that never released outside of Japan and ff12 is the improved zodiac edition that also hadn't been released outside of Japan.

Honestly you'll have a lot of fun replaying them that it's worth getting them. There's also other RPGs on the PS4 to try many of which would be considered better than the FF games.

Advertisement