Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I would say Final Fantasy 13.

Would it and Persona be linear if they involve things like grinding, which I'm assuming they do being rpgs

No real grinding in most modern jrpgs for the last 25 years unless you are going for optional content. Persona as well is unique in that even if you take a day out for grinding you are still making progress towards the end due to the time structure of the game.

spyrotrilogy-jpg.119690
    Amazon Mexico have supposedly leaked the Spyro remastered box art along with a release date of September 21st

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Oh wow it's a Spyro game.

It's 3 games.

I'll go back to not giving a damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

He better still talk like a B rate Bart Simpson :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Released on September 21st

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Piggy bank is going to take a hammering over September and October.

Spider-Man, Shadow of the Tomb Raider (rumoured release date), Spyro and RDR2.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I cannot wait for Spyro as I never played the originals but I love 3d platformers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They're OK. Not the best but still a fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Anyone recommend a fun driving game? Toss up between GT Sport, Dirt 4 and need for speed payback. Dirt rally is brilliant but need something a bit more... Relaxing. I know the 3 games above are very different, hence my difficulty in choosing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Brick_96

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a fun driving game? Toss up between GT Sport, Dirt 4 and need for speed payback. Dirt rally is brilliant but need something a bit more... Relaxing. I know the 3 games above are very different, hence my difficulty in choosing.

If you're looking for relaxing I'd imagine GT is your best bet, I've found the series a bit monotonous at times though. Not sure what the Dirt or NFS franchises are like nowadays. Think I saw somewhere about NFS being online only, open to correction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I take it you don't have an Xbone? Forza Horizon 3 would be the first thing that springs to mind as a fun racing game. Personally I'm put off by NFS Payback's microtransactions. As for Dirt 4, I haven't played it, but it seems like a more casual-friendly Dirt Rally.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Anyone ever get hooked on a F2P mobile game? Currently playing DC Legends and while the gameplay is pretty standard turn based combat, it's the levelling/ranking up that I find addictive.

Have no intention of spending a penny on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

J. Marston wrote: »
    Anyone ever get hooked on a F2P mobile game? Currently playing DC Legends and while the gameplay is pretty standard turn based combat, it's the levelling/ranking up that I find addictive.

The Simpsons when it first came out...but then when you have to wait a day or a few hours to get things....I just uninstalled.
    I don't really play any mobile games anymore. My phone battery dies quick enough as it is through little to no usage. If I gamed on it I'd forever be charging it.
    Snake and Rotation on the 3210 were my faves.

Brick_96 wrote: »
    If you're looking for relaxing I'd imagine GT is your best bet, I've found the series a bit monotonous at times though. Not sure what the Dirt or NFS franchises are like nowadays. Think I saw somewhere about NFS being online only, open to correction.

Yeah I think GT is the most appealing but looking at videos, it seems a bit slow and unexciting, unless I just happen to be watching the base street cars racing. I prefer dashcam view as well which GT does best out of those 3. Pity there isn't a demo for it.
    I take it you don't have an Xbone? Forza Horizon 3 would be the first thing that springs to mind as a fun racing game. Personally I'm put off by NFS Payback's microtransactions. As for Dirt 4, I haven't played it, but it seems like a more casual-friendly Dirt Rally.

Yupp, I never played Forza but I think I would happily swap the GT franchise for it. My pc is too crap to play it so I'm stuck with ps titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

there's no great driving game on ps imo. Remember Gran Turismo on PS1, lost my soul, the sequels gave it back. There was a real good rally game on PS1 (can't remember name), none since.
    Best driving game I ever played was on Nintendo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

gimli2112 wrote: »
    there's no great driving game on ps imo. Remember Gran Turismo on PS1, lost my soul, the sequels gave it back. There was a real good rally game on PS1 (can't remember name), none since.
    Best driving game I ever played was on Nintendo

VRally 97! What a game!

NFS Payback is slightly ruined by MTs, but not in the usual way. Your upgrades for your cars are loot boxes, you can't just buy a part and install it like previous NFS titles. It's possible to enjoy the game even with these MTs, but it was too much for me.

Plus, like every other recent NFS, when you start getting to the Super/Hyper cars, it loses its fun. Going back to Underground 1 and 2, the most powerful cars were still 'affordable' to most, and the fun of modifying a car you could legitimately buy in real life was lost to basic visual upgrades and fake speed.

Dirt Rally 4, I think I played it but it was way too sim for me. Same with GT. But I'll echo above, there's no great racing game at the moment, but if you've never played Burnout Paradise, I'd give that a look. Very casual gaming, but done really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

not hooked but I always have one installed that I play to pass time until I get bored with it when I hit the pay wall and then move on
    My current is Dawn of Titans

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd love a new version of Stuntman.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

• Registered Users Posts: 12,797 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Never really enjoyed driving games. A few of the early games maybe, Stunt Car Racer and Jaguar XJ 220. And Mariokart. After, that they became a bit samey.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kiith wrote: »
    I'd love a new version of Stuntman.

Have you played Trackmania Turbo? Reminds me a little bit of Stuntman in that you have to complete the tracks very precisely. It only lends itself to short play sessions IMO though as the time trial structure gets repetitive, and the tracks are much shorter than Stuntman’s marathons.

The Burnout series was great. Peaked with Burnout 3, and kind of stagnated a bit then.

Stumped on the driving game, might leave it off for a while. Thanks for the suggestion lads.

Anyone play This is the Police? It's on sale on psn at the moment for 4 euro down from 20. Only played a small bit but it's an absolute gem so far. You're chief of police and have 180 days til retirement. You have to management your cops and detectives on shift, respond to calls, give advice how to handle calls and cases, deal with corruption, Mafia and try to retire with 500k be out with above board bonuses from job well done or selling evidence and taking dodgy jobs. I'm only 3 days in but loving it so far. Whether it gets repetitive and boring, I dunno, but so far it's right up my street. Just saw a sequel recently released on pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Stumped on the driving game, might leave it off for a while. Thanks for the suggestion lads.

If you wanted a racing game that's not strictly driving, the Wipeout collection on the PS4 is pretty addictive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I don't really play any mobile games anymore.

Back in my late primary school years, I was hooked on mobile games like Angry Birds and the like.

These days I don't care much at all about mobile gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

stop making us feel old :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Back in my late primary school years, I was hooked on mobile games like Angry Birds and the like.

These days I don't care much at all about mobile gaming.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The first game in the series was initially released in December 2009
    giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,797 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

First game I ever loved

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,700 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I played Clash of Clans for a while because there were others in my family playing it. Got extremely tedious very quickly, yet it was kinda addictive. Eventually broke myself out of it though.

I have to admit some of the actual wars and fights you do in it can be quite challenging and require proper techniques. The game was mostly tedious in terms of trying to upgrade everything and loot other bases, but the wars were proper fun.

• Advertisement

I liked Wipeout back in the day but it didn't hold a candle to F-Zero.

Interesting post above, first game I remember playing Little Computer People on the Commodore 64 (64kb of Ram baby!!). I have a memory of making the guy eat the dog food until he got sick and then fell down the stairs. I had to have imagined that though, no way they'd program him to fall down stairs??

hqdefault.jpg

Advertisement