Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Cordell

Playing on Mac is not really PC gaming, which really means Windows on a x64 platform, anything else including Linux is going through various layers of emulation, API wrappers and virtualization.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I was going through some of my collector's editions, and the Rage 2 one stands out the most:

When you push the white button at the front, it talks.

It came with a lovely steelbook:

But the best thing of all is that it came with purple batteries:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,791 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Completed Dredge today, absolutely fantastic. Took me about 8 hours but still have a couple of quests to complete and loads more fish to find and catch. Absolutely worth the 25 asking price but it's on its last day of sale on psn for 20 for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I hope you don't go Nintendo or you'll be broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I have had no real issues with Series X or Switch. I'm only a newbie on PS, so I can't comment there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,242 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Other than some annoying eulas to click through the PlayStation is about the same. And it's not far off the update process of a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

My PS5 updates regularly and I don't recall ever having to click on a EULA for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,242 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Been a long time since I turned it on, they usually do licensed agreements when there's updates to content sharing or other big changes but mostly not all the time. Its probably because I miss so many update that I usually have to agree to one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭recyclops

My Ps5 ain't been turned on proper since January prob should actually turn it on to update it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Probably March for mine. So few must play games on it.

On a positive note vampire survivors is out 9n switch today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah consoles generally prepare their updates completely silently in the background so you don't need to think about it apart from being asked if you want to stop your game to update, or just keep playing and do it at a more convenient time for you. The process hasn't been as painful as a PC since the PS3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭quokula

When Steam lists the game as being available on mac, charges you for the game while telling you it's available on mac, then spends hours downloading the game before saying, oh wait, it's actually not available for mac, that is a serious problem with the steam platform. It's like going on PSN and being sold Halo only to say it's not compatible with this platform at the point where you start to play it. There's a pretty big topic on reddit with a lot of understandably annoyed players. I prefer to use my mac over my PC because it's a much better platform overall and if a PC game claims to be available on mac on the steam store page, that shouldn't be an outright lie. And "oh PC gaming means windows only" isn't some kind of gotcha, unless you think the steam deck doesn't count and we shouldn't expect anything that says it works on steam deck to work on that platform either.

As for my PC, thanks for making false assumptions about me but it's used every day as it's my work computer and it's got reasonably up to date hardware (3080 gfx card) - the problem is multiple time consuming updates being released in the space of a week, both for the game itself and the "game ready driver". Larian have also just had to roll back their latest update because it was causing crashes too.

And I don't remember the PS4 ever being remotely close to being that bad, but that is a decade old console at this stage and technology has moved on in 10 years. PS5 and Series X certainly handle this much more elegantly, between background preloading, better UX and actual quality control from the platform holders.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is coming to Game Pass tomorrow (18th of August). I'm looking forward to giving that a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm too busy playing Tinykin. Great game for those who never heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Cordell

I just finished Remnant II - highly recommend, overall it's better than the first one but it lacks some of the memorable bosses there were in that one, like those twin bosses over the suspended bridge, and the final one is way too difficult and not fun at all, but the journey up to there is.

And jfyi, the Amid Evil DLC is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Unearthly

This the guy with lightning? Got him on

my 8th go. Was always dying at the third phase with the lightning and struggling to find a window to heal. I had spent a while practicing deflections and Mikiri counter on this big guy on a bridge who keeps respawning so first 2 phases were handy but had no idea what to do in third phase for a while

Such a good game. Only complaint is the camera has fecked me a few times

I'm gamed out. I was playing Tinykin all weekend. It is such a good game. I'm on the last level. I do not know what it is about these types of games but I always must collect everything before I leave a level. Adds on a lot of time as they can be well hidden. I do be searching up and down the level to find them.

I never even heard about the game and someone on the Gamepass thread mentioned it so I said I will take a look and sure enough it is a game I like. Blood and Wine even though it's good I put it on hold. Main reason was Tinykin is leaving Gamepass at the end of the month so I said I will play it first. I should be finished Tinykin tomorrow if I play it for a while in the evening.

I also pre-downloaded some of Starfield. I should be finished downloading it tomorrow. So finish Tinykin, Blood and Wine and then get to Starfield eventually.

Yep that's the one. Took me a lot more than 8 tries!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Ah I still have all of Japan infected with DragonRot after my performance first few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The MGS collection sounds atrocious.

PS4/PS5/Xbox: 60FPS, 720p.

Switch: 30FPS, 720p.

https://www.nintendolife.com/features/hands-on-metal-gear-solid-master-collection-vol-1-could-be-so-much-more-but-isnt

720p stretched across today's TVs? Grim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,346 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Seen a preview. It’s 4:3 with a wallpaper on the parts of the widescreen. So it’s not stretched

I just booted up my Xbox there and checked my play time for The Witcher 3 and I have clocked 98 hours and I still have the majority of Blood and Wine to play. Main story anyway as I am doing a lot of side quests. I'd say I'm a few hours into it atm.

Blood and Wine has so much to do it's like a whole new game.

Jesus it's like they didn't even try. The backbone version is there 1080p and 60fps on a **** ps360 with widescreen. This sounds like they just emulated it which accounts for the 4:3 aspect ratio and awful performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭brady12

• Registered Users Posts: 11,894 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

IGN reporting today that:

In a statement issued to IGN, Konami said Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 1 has a 1080p/60fps “target” on all platforms except for Nintendo Switch. This means the collection targets 1080p/60fps on PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X and S. Specifically on Switch, the collection runs at 720p/30fps in handheld mode, and targets 1080p/30fps docked. No platform runs the collection at 4K resolution.

So at least its better than 720p but the whole thing is very barebones considering the previous collection.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well that's how you do a video game announcement trailer:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Honestly thought that was Billy Connolly at the end of that trailer

It is massive I've clocked over 100 hours and still not finished the second DLC. I've the main game and first DLC finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,568 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Zack Snyder says if he was to make a movie from a game series, it'd be Gears of War.

That'd be interesting. Seeing Marcus cut into a Locust with the chainsaw gun in slow motion. Or seeing the Hammer of Dawn being used in slow motion. Or the fight against General RAAM in slow motion. Not to mention people walking in slow motion.

Advertisement