Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I find the driving simulation games kind of boring. Much prefer something arcadey like Burnout, F-zero, Outrun 2 or Sega Rally.

I liked Wipeout 2097 back at release but really the whole series is a very pale imitation of F-zero. F-zero Gx for my money is the best arcade racer ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,797 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I liked Wipeout back in the day but it didn't hold a candle to F-Zero.

Interesting post above, first game I remember playing Little Computer People on the Commodore 64 (64kb of Ram baby!!). I have a memory of making the guy eat the dog food until he got sick and then fell down the stairs. I had to have imagined that though, no way they'd program him to fall down stairs??

Oh yeah I remember that! Just!

Thats Bruce Lee I posted above.

Can download it here.

https://www.emuparadise.me/Commodore_64_(Tapes)_ROMs/Bruce_Lee_(E)/71972

The entire game is 44k.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Well if ye really want to feel old, the SNES is 26 today!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Bad news for those of us who had a NES.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Well if ye really want to feel old, the SNES is 26 today!

Goddamn the SNES was ****ing awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I loved all consoles growing up, each one was unique in its own way, hard to think of one that was a let down...until the xbox came about, it just didnt know what it wanted to be or do...and still doesnt, everything it brings can be obtained elsewhere :rolleyes::pac::(

The wii and wii U gens were disappointing to me, but even they brought about amazing games, just too few and far apart :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

keane2097 wrote: »
    Bad news for those of us who had a NES.

All 5 of ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    All 5 of ye.

Ah here I'd say way more of us here had a Nes than those who didn't. Emergency poll request.

I have one but I bought it in like 2008. Didn't care for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I find the driving simulation games kind of boring. Much prefer something arcadey like Burnout, F-zero, Outrun 2 or Sega Rally.

I liked Wipeout 2097 back at release but really the whole series is a very pale imitation of F-zero. F-zero Gx for my money is the best arcade racer ever made.

If you're a fan of Burnout you should have a look at a game called Split/Second. One of the best racing games I've played since the original NFS. I was surprised it didn't get more attention when it came out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I was ambivilous about computer games until I played Tomb Raider 1 and my eyes fell out of my head.

turns out ambivilous is not a word (sure it was) I mean "meh"

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

If you're looking for fun arcadey racers try Sonic & Allstars Racing Transformed, it's great, dont be put off by the sonic stuff, there's way cooler stuff like Golden Axe and Skies of Arcadia in there

Blur is pretty good too if you want something a little more down to earth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I have one but I bought it in like 2008. Didn't care for it

That was your mistake, we got ours in 1990 or so. It was great back then

I'm sure it was. I was between 0 and 1 in 1990 so wouldn't have gotten the use out of the nes at the time.
    I'd be very familiar with the SNES and the mega drive and really wanted to get into the 8 bit consoles but sadly, I do think it's a case of you had to be there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I had a NES with a **** ton of games. My first console, and a beaut it was too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I only got the NES and SNES from my brothers a few years ago. They are both great consoles, although I'm not quite interested in playing NES games.

I grew up with the N64, GC, PS2, DS and Wii.

• Microsoft doing really well at the moment
    Added a couple more One X enhanced games

RDR, Gears 2 & Portal 2 look stunning on my 4k TV

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I am a big petrol head and love my racing games. Specially arcade sims. Forza series still my favourite, but F7 just does not click with me. I think mainly, because career forces you in different cars all the time. I like restrictions in events, but not so strict. I used to take something like mx5, throw V8 in to it and go HAM! Now I cant do it, I need always use specific cars.

NFS underground 1 and 2 were fun. I am glad I grew up when those came out. Was very in to car modifications. Not proud of this. :D

The only non traditional racings games that I liked were Crach bandicoot CTR? Great crack!
    And that starwars racing game from episode one. I dont even like starwars, but something about it was stupidly fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I had a NES with a **** ton of games. My first console, and a beaut it was too.

I have no idea why this post immediately made me think of Dig Dug. That, Lemmings and the really old Football Manager game where Red Star Belgrade were the best team by far on my next door neighbour's Commodore 64 would be my first gaming memories.

Then the SNES came out when we were about 5-6 years old, I couldn't believe I had got it for Christmas, with Super Mario Kart, F-Zero (and Super Conflict)... called into his house, and they had it too but with Mario Kart, World and Sensible Soccer. I cried and I cried. :o

I replayed Super Conflict on an emulator 2-3 years back, and it actually holds up quite well. Really threadbare by today's standards, but it wouldn't be a half bad mobile game for commuting and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Greyfox

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I was ambivilous about computer games until I played Tomb Raider 1 and my eyes fell out of my head.

At the time it was absolutely amazing, that Atlantis level is a contender for the best actual level in any game ever, this and Resident evil made me think gaming had took a huge leap forward

• Advertisement

Ghosts n' Goblins was a favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Forza series still my favourite..
    As a ps3/ps4 man I always envied Forza, a few months ago i borrowed a xbox360, spent a lot of time playing Forza 4 and it was the most fun I've had in a driving game in ages so il play the Xbox one games one day, you gotta love the rewind feature. I'm currently getting jaded with open world driving games as I find this driving to the next event interrupts the enjoyment. On the subject of driving games Im just after buying rock n roll racing again for the 4th time in my life, it's a pity this game was not on the snes mini

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Ah here I'd say way more of us here had a Nes than those who didn't. Emergency poll request.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057861474#

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Greyfox wrote: »
    At the time it was absolutely amazing, that Atlantis level is a contender for the best actual level in any game ever, this and Resident evil made me think gaming had took a huge leap forward

yup was going to mention RE too, the intro had real life action which boggled the mind, it looks so bad now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Greyfox wrote: »
    As a ps3/ps4 man I always envied Forza, a few months ago i borrowed a xbox360, spent a lot of time playing Forza 4 and it was the most fun I've had in a driving game in ages so il play the Xbox one games one day, you gotta love the rewind feature. I'm currently getting jaded with open world driving games as I find this driving to the next event interrupts the enjoyment. On the subject of driving games Im just after buying rock n roll racing again for the 4th time in my life, it's a pity this game was not on the snes mini

Damn, Rock and Roll racing completely forgot about it!!!! I played bejaysus out of it on Sega! Finished it about 50 times!
    I think Russians tried to make an updated rip off of the game, which was very close to original, but Blizzard stoped it.

A few SNES games still play great and with high res mode on the emulators they look great on bigger screens.

Mariokart is still great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Damn, Rock and Roll racing completely forgot about it!!!! I played bejaysus out of it on Sega! Finished it about 50 times!
    I think Russians tried to make an updated rip off of the game, which was very close to original, but Blizzard stoped it.

According to the Wiki, Yard Team sells game Steam keys through their website. It was pulled from Steam, but still available to buy apparently. http://yardteam.org/mr/eng/download.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

The Nal wrote: »
    A few SNES games still play great and with high res mode on the emulators they look great on bigger screens.

Mariokart is still great fun.
    I've loved some of the SNES games again since getting the SNES mini. Contra III is probably my most played.
    I also completed Castlevania four and a couple of Mario games. A lot of the 2D games hold up (although there's nostalgia toward them in my case)

• Advertisement

I had a good 8 hour retro gaming session a few weeks back and needed painkillers after. Combination of the graphics, music and difficulty. Some of the games are really really hard. No let up at all. No more than Ghost & Goblins above.

Speaking of 2D muscle memory platformers, has anyone given Cuphead a go?

Advertisement