Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Got to admit, I was too busy clubbing and going to house parties during that era for that to ever appeal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

I'm loving Cocoon. I didn't think I'd be playing anything other than Starfield until Forza comes out but this has taken my attention away. I'm playing it on PC but I'd say its a good match for the Switch. I'll probably stream it to my phone with Moonshine for some lazy lying on the couch gameplay.

I feel so damn smart when I solve a puzzle in Cocoon. Until now.... I'm at a part that's making me feel really dumb 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Read Dead Redemption 2 will be five years old on the 26th of October.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Felt like it took five years to reach the bloody credits of that thing 😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Been playing Gris on gamepass for daily achievements, but that game is a trip :)

Not made it to the end yet, but I can't even guess at where it's going haha!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyone playing horror games for October? I'm still playing Resi 4 remake but Ive also started an old From Software horror game Echo Night. It's an interesting game. Seems to be built on the king's field engine. The only way to tackle the ghosts is to turn the lights on in an area which is a pretty interesting mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

If I can get Baldur's Gate finished this month (unlikely because I'm only in the Blighted Village and I play games at a snail's pace) then I'll play Dead Space remake for some spooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was a little disappointed by costume quest. It's just a little two basic and as a result despite being a short game it still feels twice as long as it should have been.

I got my PS2 back so once I get through echo night I'll try some PS2 horror.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Does Luigi's Mansion count as a horror game or the ghost house levels in Super Mario ? 🤔

Luigi's mansion does. There's some genuine scares in it. Which makes Luigi's mansion 3 the best selling horror game of all time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I'm playing through the Amnesia collection, I'm nearing the end of A Machine for Pigs. Never played them before. Great atmosphere in them and just the right amount of stealth as I'm not a fan of stealth usually. A Machine for Pigs is much more linear than Dark Descent which I don't mind as I got stuck a few times during Descent and had to look up what to do. Headphones are a must while playing them although I recommend keeping your dogs locked out of the room your playing in as they scared the sh1te out of me a few times!

Give Soma a go if you haven't played it yet. It's a bit of a sci fi horror masterpiece. The ending is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,790 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Interesting, whatever you think of Cyberpunk, it was made to be 1st person to be as immersive as possible. I know they couldn't make a post at one point without people saying there should be a 3rd person option but it would have made the game a lot more shallow imo. So many interactions with Johnny, Judy etc felt a lot more personal up close, don't think they'd have the impact on 3rd person.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

All the artifact glitchs and coughing blood up would have been as bit less striking if in 3rd person.

I think an option to switch between 3rd and 1st person would have been better. A big part of the game is modding your character which you can't even see unless you look in a mirror.

Starfield has shown how well this can work. I don't feel it has taken away from the immersion in any way at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah never quite got the point of a character creator for FPS games. All that effort and time spent on something you can't ever see in practical terms. At the start I spent lots of time making sure (say) my Skyrim character looked how I wanted them - then never got to see them lol (I know Skyrim has a 3rd person mode but the animations were so janky to look at).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Plus I hate 1st person story scenes, where characters talk and move around staring directly at you, but at the same time you can look all around the place or move around freely, making the other characters twist their necks around or shuffle to turn around to face you.

At the very least, if you have a 1st person game with a character creator, go 3rd person and have actual cutscenes for story.

No idea how scary it is (don't tell me) but I'm itching to play Dredge as my Halloween game. Hoping to finish up Starfield today first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,790 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Dredge is fantastic, one of my games of the year. Relaxing and tense at the same time, one more fish or will just check what's over there before i call it a night... "2 hours later"..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,018 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Didn't the recent Wolfenstein games have third person cutscenes even though they were FPSs?

I remember watching a video before showing how it can be a challenge to make it switch between views due to factors that need to be considered.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don’t think either Cyberpunk or Bethesda games are great examples of their chosen perspective.

Cyberpunk prioritised graphical fidelity above all, and first person was likely the right choice for that particular game. While it certainly still stands as one of the great technical feats of the medium, it comes at the expense of interactivity and reactivity. It may feel cool aesthetically to stroll around Night City, but it’s an unusually shallow world despite all the neon ray-tracing goodness. That said, there’s room for improvement there in a sequel - 2.0 doesn’t sound totally transformative in anything other than combat, but it at least hints at some of the things that could be done to improve things in the future.

Bethesda’s third person options are terrible, because they haven’t really properly adapted it. You’re still playing a first person game with first person controls, just from a different perspective. It’s weird and janky - just look at those Starfield videos of people trying to swim in third person. Compare that to something like Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath, where the option to shift between first and third person transforms the game’s feel and indeed mechanics to each perspective.

The two best and most immersive RPGs IMO of the last five years are Disco Elysium and Baldur’s Gate 3. Both told from isometric perspectives, mainly (BG3 is a bit more dynamic with conversations etc). I don’t think there’s a ‘correct’ perspective, but just goes to show immersion in a gameworld is definitely not solely dependent on the perspective from which the game is shown.

I think a lot of games change controls and physics whether in third or first person just so they feel right. Halo is a game that changes from first to third person but only does so when there's a complete change in controls, either riding a vehicle or carrying a heavy weapon.

Cyberpunk does that too as well to be fair, when in a vehicle (although with the option for first person IIRC).

I think a lot of people expect a change from first to third person on games is as easy as changing the camera but there's a lot that needs to change. It's not just controls it's animations as well. The janky ass animations in third person of you hack mirrors edge are a good example. I think that's why most developers pick one or the other, there's a lot of duplication of work if you can switch between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,018 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The Metroid Prime games use the switch between first and third person well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭Penn

GTAV also managed the transition between first and third person well, especially since it was only designed for third person and then they added in first person afterwards.

My issue, particularly when it came to talking to NPCs etc in Bethesda games, is that the immersion of being in first person instantly breaks when you're able to run around, jump on furniture, crouch behind an npc etc, all while they stand there turning or twisting their head around and I've long since stopped listening to them. Even Cyberpunk where you could be sitting down as part of the cutscene but just able to look all around the place while characters are staring directly at you talking.

Unless there's a reason for why I should be able to look/move around, just lock it in place and take the interactivity away, and let me watch the cutscene. I don't want to have to manually track NPCs as they pace back and forth, or if they point to something, or wondering if there's something in the area I should be trying to find.

But I also think if that was the case, switching to third person for cutscenes so you can see your own character would be a good balance with regards the customisation of your own character that you end up never seeing during normal gameplay.

The developers said they had to totally change the controls for first person in gtaV.

I get what you mean about moving about in first person cutscenes. I think half life 2 did it well although you could always mess and break immersion. And then there's my big bear with the badly designed surgery scene in last of us. I really think mgs3 handled that type of scene much better and in that they restricted control other than the execution of the action.

• Advertisement

Played a few hours today. Anxiety inducing, the worst (as in good) kind of horror 😄

Advertisement