Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

Strange how Bethesda live rent free in some people's minds.

Very odd behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

As a FF fanboy and 60 hours on the clock with it , some of the boss fights are epic but to echo other sentiments the pacing is glacial. Feels like a way bigger game than it should be the final third is also a bit meh for me.

Combat is fantastic though sidequests ultimate MMO garbage filler apart from a few quests.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

More people need to play armored core and ace combat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,389 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Eh, context? Several recent posts in this thread have only been praising a Bethesda (published) game! 😅

• Administrators Posts: 53,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I had a look at some Ace Combat gameplay and I think the dialog is just so cringey that it'd ruin the game for me. Way too American.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

I played Ace Combat 7 once but spent the whole time wishing I was playing Days Gone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭jj880

You like Days Gone so much it makes me wana give it another shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,898 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Wow! Awesome landing on the asphalt. Gimme a high five.

• Administrators Posts: 53,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Which is funny because the writing in the latest one feels like a cheesy anime. Definitely has a feel of Japanese desperately trying for American military speak and failing. Some of it is so cheesy it's hilarious like the commander not giving orders because he has to finish his sandwich and a hostage situation ending with the marines bringing pizza.

And anyway when has cheesy dialogue made a game bad. I mean just look at Resi 4. You play ace combat for the gameplay and it's such an incredible action game, a game hadn't provided the same minute to minute thrills for me since revengeance and only armored core 6 has managed to match it. It's closer to Armored core than anything really.

It's so frustrating so many people letting this game miss them. I at least had one person in my previous job try in on game pass and absolutely adored it so I can die happy I improved the live of one person

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The problem with jet fighters is that you can only fly past and let off missiles. It's hard to control ... A helicopter is much more versatile and fun. I liked the helicopter missions in GTA5. In fact a full on 2023 version of Choplifter would be great.

Have you played it? It's not a combat Sim. The controls have been simplified where it lets you feel like you are in a jet fighter movie. And it's a hell of a lot easier to control than the choppers in GTA.

I mean I felt the same about you about the series and only gave it a go when John linneman from DF were singing the games praises. Ended up kicking myself I'd ignored the series because so much fun.

It's also better than days fecking gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,565 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I refuse to play any kind of flying fighter sim game ever since my uncle bought me G-Police for PS1 instead of LITERALLY ANY OTHER GAME and I absolutely hated it. Could not get into it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Go dance with the angels mister! *sticks out tongue*

Yes, I played it on GamePass and was really getting into it, and got distracted by something else. And it was removed from GP. If I find a cheap physical copy I'll grab it .

This is the problem with GP etc etc, too many shiny things. It's like the infinite backlog.

My sub is finishing up this month

Plus I've a load of games I'm bringing to CEX.

I'm looking at about 5 open world games that I'm not even going to start / half started as I've no time to invest in those collectathons. Also I don't like first person shooters, so that's more stuff heading to CEX.

Definitely getting Super Mario Wonder. Jump in, jump around, jump out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,565 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Hated it. Couldn't get used to it at all, had no interest in it, it hurt my head.

Do I remember anything about it that I can accurately and fairly discuss? No. But I remember hating it.

Is it possible to put a poll in this thread? If so, maybe we can have one so users can choose if Days Gone or Ace Combat 7 is their favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

To be fair, I only picked up Ace Combat because Retr0 wouldn't shut up about it but it is great fun once you get the past the first level or two. Just challenging enough to keep you interested, but incredibly satisfying being an ace.

• Advertisement

It was a big deal at release. Looked incredible, had FMV that didn't such and great mission design. It was quite tough. Also if you were too young you might not have gotten the reverse y flight stick controls which might be what annoyed you.

I must go back to that game. Maybe it will be the next retrogame I play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭Corvo

I love fighter jets. In movies, books, models of them and yes, games too.

But I just can't take to Ace Combat. Hated the simplified controls, the cheese (don't mind some but come on), the fact that your jet carried 120 missiles and I hated most of all, the timed missions sprinkled throughout.

Sorry RetroGamer, I know thats me off your Christmas Card list :)

Did you play with the simplified control scheme or the standard one? It defaults to simplified which despite making it seem simpler to use makes the game significantly worse and also makes the game much tougher as your control is very limited. The jets control more like actual jets rather than a flying section is a fps game. You have to use pitch and yaw when you roll to turn.

Not much you can do about the 120 missile issue though. It's more a concession to being a fun game rather than a Sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's like watching a young child trying to explain why something is awesome to an adult who knows better.... we agree in G-Police though. While I too don't really remember much, I remember really liking it. Think there was a sequel but I never got it. Gonna go look at some videos now. I remember it along with Oni, but think that was PS2. Another great game for the time imo.

I don't know better than days gone fans though :P

Ive not played the gpolice sequel but there wasn't as much buzz about that one on release.

Oni was PS2. It's not ages that well though. It trying to ape the ghost in the shell anime aesthetic comes across a bit try hard now as well. It just makes me want to play the ps1 ghost in the shell game which was great fun and made by the jumping flash team.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Playing Dead Cells since its days in Early Access. Man there's so much more content here than there was, and it remains a great wee game for a quick hour olaythrough.

But it introduced one of my more hated tropes from 2D game design: those levels where there's a rising tide, or a fire, that's constantly moving towards you so you gotta keep moving or it's (basically) instant death. Hate those levels so much and they always leave me feeling hassled and stressed - not challenged.

It really only exists as a trope in 2d platformers but yuck, hate it.

The 2 Ori games are full of those and done in a really good way.

Git gud

I don't mind these levels... Except when there's important collectable in these stages as if you miss them you have to replay the stage. Or even worse if you have a choice of routes and picking the wrong one leads to missing it through no fault of your own.

At least we have moved past the bullshit design of old western games were you had these stages and picking the wrong route was instant death. Looking at you final stage of the Terminator on the megadrive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And there you have summarised precisely why I have never bothered with this games, despite being a Metroidvania junkie 🤭

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭McFly85

You’re missing out. Both brilliant Metroidvanias but if you have to play one play the second one, it improves a lot of stuff from the first.

While there are areas like that, the platforming and chaining of abilities is so smooth it’s enjoyable to get yourself out of those spots.

Advertisement