Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm no fan of "hard" games, but they needed the hardest bits of the Ori games. And the parts that do have the instant death following are brief, most of the games aren't like that. I stopped Dead Cells after 2BC because it got too hard.

Also never a wrong time to mention the great Guacamelee games. And Rayman Legends, which also has the best instant death levels as they're musical! Oh, and Rogue Legacy 2. I'm just naming metroidvanias now...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭jj880

Dimension swap climbing levels in Guacamelee. Brutal but enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,790 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I goddamn love Guacamelee, don't see it mentioned enough. 2 upped the difficulty with the complexity of new mechanics but first is still a tricky one, highly recommend it for anyone who hasn't played it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I did try them on the Switch but the other thing I found a little annoying was playing handheld, the camera zooming way out too often left me squinting at a little dot on a small screen. Beautiful looking games mind you, on that there can be no question.

Should also point out in that Dead Cells example: there was a fire burning, and I also had to dodge a boss constantly attacking me. JFC Dead Cells...

Yes, another shoutout from me for Guacamelee; really fun games whose challenge was never too far from my grasp that I felt the game was just being a díck with me. And the art-style & soundtrack would put a smile on anyone's face, even as the game might have been kicking my áss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 vuyobeby

Hello am new here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A dog will be speedrunning a game in January at AGDQ.

I fully endorse cute doggo speedrunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,017 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For proper speedrunning, would need to be dog Vs ROB

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,389 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Nothing is making video games in 2023 worse than people demanding bigger and longer games. Weird there's even a debate over a '15-40 hour' game being 'too short' - while I have my issues with the Spider-Man games, their relative brevity and briskness compared to the typical open-world game has to be commended. Frankly, that's not even particulary short.

I know games are expensive these days, but virtually every major AAA game - even the really good ones - overstays their welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,898 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I love my Xbox controllers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If games like that are noting but Skinner Boxes now, it does make some sense those most hooked on them would expect "value for money" when spending 70 quid on something they'll grind at for what they hope is months. It's a bit dystopian, but maybe it's as simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Maybe someone should tell them that the first Super Mario is about 2 hours long and probably cost more.

Stupid to compare the price to the length. Its all about enjoyment. 15-40 hours is perfect. It's the same main/extra length as Arkham City. But it looks to be utter perfection for that time. Whereas the likes of Cyberpunk, Skyrim, Starfield etc have far longer hours but far, far more technical issues and bugs. I'll take quality over quantity, and the ADHD entitled "fans" can go feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Registered Users Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The key for game length is making it work for different tastes.

I recently finished jedi survivor and I think it did a great job of balancing time. I spent about 20-25 hours with it, but in that time if the mood was right I was free to go exploring and doing the puzzles, but if my mood wasn't up for wandering, I could just do the main story. It was totally up to me. Doing extra gave me a boost in power and skills so it was rewarding and not silly busy work, but not necessarily crucial.

I prob could have buffed it out to 40 hours, but could at the same time maybe cut a good 5 hours from the time too, and enjoyed it if I was so inclined.

But I remember Medal of Honor reboot had a 5 hour campaign. I really enjoyed that length I thought it was perfect for the FPS style game, but the reviews at the time, especially the YouTubers, were gung-ho on long drawn out open world for "value" and slaughtered it along with similar titles.

The result was we ended up with a decade of loads of unnecessary open worldness being shoehorned into games that didn't need it.

I do come from a place of someone that can play a new game a week via subs. But for someone that €80 means it is 1-2 games a year I can see why they would want more time from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

We also get the game quicker, with less filler.

Personally I never pay full price for a game. I'll wait as long as it takes for a decent discount, even if it takes years for the likes of Siper-Man. FOMO is all in the mind.

Same. First thing to do is setup alerts. Usually not long to wait. Also like to see reliable reviews from boards members first. Dont think it applies to video games but saw JOMO (Joy Of Missing Out) in another thread by someone who abandoned pubs recently. I'll be stealing that for future use.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Unless you have the mechanics to flesh it out like a rpg game then your game shouldn't be more than 12 hours at the very most, especially action games. Even Resi 4 remake felt too long at about 16 hours.

There's very few games that justify 30+ hour game lengths and most of those are RPGs or have a lot of variety in their game world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭recyclops

If the story is tight, linearity and shortness won't matter and il happily pay full whack for a game that doesn't overstay it's welcome and doesn't have tacked on "achievements/trophies" to pad it out.

Especially ones that force people to play a game twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭McFly85

The last of us highlights this well I think.

TLOU felt the perfect length at 12-15 hours. TLOU2 went on far too long with extreme padding and an entirely redundant final area. Even though it was 25 hours I couldn’t wait for it to end.

The only game relatively recently that really annoyed me about how short it was for the price was RE3 - felt more like DLC for RE2 than a full game.

• Administrators Posts: 53,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I find most games too long these days tbh. TLOU2 and GoW2, both too long for me.

Rayman stars in Captain Lazerhawk: A Blood Dragon Remix on Netflix. Produced by Ubisoft Film & TV. Lots of gaming references throughout. 6 episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

So what you're saying is that you've no interest in the Assassin's Creed 2 trophy for stunning 4 guards by throwing sand in their face?

Really......

You used to be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Literally unplayable

• Registered Users Posts: 11,898 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

My nearest former Gamestop shop is now a CEX shop. That took me by surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,790 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Wow, worst game of the year battle is definitely heating up! The Walking Dead Destinies releasing in November. Top comment sums it up:

"It's nice that someone still supports PS3 gaming. I can't wait to see what they can do when they do a PS4 and PS5 version"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

There must be some billionaire fan keeping this franchise going. What are we at now 4 spin off shows? 5 games? It's all terrible stuff.

More likely it's a shifty company that got the game license and trying to make as much bank before they lose it. It's the same dealio with the awful Tony hawk's game shat out right on the eve of Activision losing the license.

Doesn't explain the enduring corpse that is the show itself: the main one I think wrapped up (which I baled out of back at Season 4 I think?), but there are about 4, 5 spin-offs? Clearly AMC see an audience, but the appeal of these shows has become a bit of a mystery.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,389 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Actually just saw an article going through the spin offs this morning. It genuinely reeks of desperation more than anything, hoping anything will stick.

I know anecdotes are a bad way to judge anything, but I’m absolutely amazed Fear… made it to eight seasons. As far as I can tell that show has close to zero cultural footprint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,565 ✭✭✭✭Penn

They got far more mileage out of the original series than they should have, though I suspect half of that was a combination of people still watching just because they'd already stuck with it for so long, and some comics fans wanting to still see events/characters from the comics happen in the show.

But the amount of spin-offs from the end of the main series is just laughable. What can be said about Daryl Dixon that they didn't already have 13 years to say? "Daryl Dixon as you've never seen him before! This time, he's not just mumbling.... He's mumbling.... IN FRANCE!"

Post edited by Penn on

Advertisement