Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The best Zombie sequel that actually had something interesting to say that wasn't just more "Man is the real monster", was 28 Months Later; a sequel that actually took an interesting topical angle (America's unilateral invasion of Iraq) alongside an approach that suggested yes, you can come back from Zombie Invasion if the infection was on an island. The sequel bait at the end was a bit 🙄 but it at least showed some semblance that you can mine new ideas from an otherwise tedious trope and cliché.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So much of a cultural footnote that this is the first Ive even heard of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,017 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just finished watching "Captain Laserhawk: A Blood Dragon Remix" on Netflix. Was basically an Ubisoft crossover show and surprised at how some characters were handled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭jj880

Yeah when you think about the style of gameplay in the Rayman series it doesn't match up to this. Bit of a crazy show all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Still waiting for a Rayman Legends follow up with some more of those music levels. I think they are some of the best levels I've played in any video game. Also, that game has some of the best levels in any 2D platform game I've played. I am wondering 🥴 will Super Mario Wonder be as good. For any of you non Nintendo owing people out there with a some small change to spare, it's a steal. Also, if you don't like the look of the Rayman character, I don't, there are other characters to choose from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,790 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

MGS Collection out today. Psycho Mantis battle has been updated on modern consoles to give the old school vibes. I'd love to play through 1 and 3 again but this collection isn't getting the best reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,565 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I was considering picking it up, but it seems like a pretty shoddy repackaging of the HD collection, plus MGS1. I replayed MGS2 & 3 maybe a year or two ago, so not sure I'll bother with this tbh. Still have nightmares from the GTA Definitive Trilogy....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭Corvo

I seen a review (with comparisons) of MGS1 and this version is actually worse than the PS1 version visually, which I didn't even think was possible in this era.

Just an emulation of the first game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,389 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s modern Konami - expectations should be set to rock bottom by default.

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,898 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I didn't play a Fallout game in many many years. Must get back into them again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Lemme get the usual, "wait, Konami make video games?" snark outta the way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Any more details on this? All I found was ign saying it's just the ps1 game and old games are garbage which is a nonsense opinion. Wondering if there's something more to it as the original I feel holds up and is still excellent. I also saw where this collection fixes emulation issues from the bluepoint collection so could it be a case that people are being unfairly harsh and the emulation is actually fine and it's just rose tinted specs?

They got M2 to do their shoot'em up, contra and Castlevania collections so they went for quality there. Konamis games division baffles me as it's like they are trying to get back into games now but have no internal teams anymore.

• Administrators Posts: 53,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It looks decent to me but I am reluctant to spend another 60 quid on MGS, I bought the last set of remasters that came out a few years ago.

I will always struggle with MGS1's crazy camera and control scheme, don't think I lasted long playing that version the last time. Hold square to aim, let go of square to shoot, madness Ted. The things we put up with back in the day...

MGS controls had always been esoteric before MGS 4 but they work once you are used to them. Still think it plays great.

Been talking to kimini on twitter and seems that the MGS master collection is locked to 720p on PC and you can't even edit a .ini to fix it.

Post edited by Retr0gamer on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭quokula

Has anyone bought a Secretlab Magnus Pro desk? I'm trying to figure out how I can buy one in Ireland that has the correct socket type in the built in power extension.

Their customer support (AI) told me this when asked, which isn't much use.

The power adaptors supplied with the desk will depend on their selling region. As for UK, the power cable supplied is Type G.

For Northern Ireland, the power cable supplied is the same. While for the EU including Ireland, the power cable supplied is Type F.

Update: Spoke to an actual human and they just reiterated what the bot said, with the helpful suggestion that I just buy adaptors 🙄

Post edited by quokula on

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Can you not buy it from the UK or is there customs on it?

Anyways, the advice is correct. Uk = UK sockets. EU = EU sockets. Same as if you buy from amazon UK or amazon EU.

Adapters work fine and are cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

A modder had a fix built in about 4 hours. Tiny file but it unlocks resolutions Upto 4k and makes a decent difference from the screenshots.

Yeah it's a hex edit, but it's also something a modder shouldn't have to fix. They promised 1080p and 720p doesn't cut it these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭McFly85

I have MGS on emulated though Emudeck and the HD collection on the Xbox, sounds like there’s no reason to upgrade.

If companies are going to charge €60 for a collection with 20 year old games you would hope that they put a little effort to make them worthwhile on modern hardware.

Seems the target for this was just get them running and slap a UI around it.

• Advertisement

I'd like to see a good DF retro breakdown of the games but it does look like they fixed a lot of issues with the last collection and ones that PS2 emulators have with these games.

Honestly if they get fixed up decently on PC I'll buy them so I'll never have to buy another MGS collection for a console again.

So more issues with the MGS collection. If you are buying the game then get the US version of MGS. The European release is the PAL 50 Hz version badly interpolated to 60Hz which introduces stutter.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The first footage of the Snake Eater remake is out, and looks good. Better get used to all games being developed under UE5, it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Beware, Super Mario Bros Wonder has tunes that enter your brain and remain lodged there preventing sleep and all rational thought about anything else. Definitely should be 18 cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ah tis great to see Konami jumping on the zero level effort train for rereleases. Anyone who buys this is part of the problem.

It feels doubly galling considering around the same time they release this shoddy collection, Konami announce a full remake of #3, fancy Unreal engine n' all. Not that there's a chance in héll it'll find its way on Switch (maybe Switch 2?), but it sticks in the craw

It's even more baffling that they got M2 to remaster the msx and NES games as well as handle the UI and archival material which is meant to be excellent but half arsed the 3D games. I hear they aren't actually as bad as people make out. PC port seems half arsed with unusable kb&m controls and locked at 720p but the emulation is meant to be way better than the older hd collection. They really should be running at higher resolution though.

MGS1 I heard was handled by M2 and meant to be great but they applied a rotten looking blur filter over it. I think a CRT filter is coming which should sort that out.

One thing I heard is people complaining about input lag in these games because they selected their language as English (UK) which mgs1 the pal version which would have lag. Make sure you select English (US).

It's not as terrible as people are making out and some of the complaints are nonsense like mgs1 being in higher res when M2 always go for authenticity.

Anyway I'm looking forward to the DF retro on the games. It will be nice to have a future proofed version of these games finally on PC instead of being locked to dead consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭McFly85

I’ll happily purchase the collections when the issues are resolved and they run well enough on the steam deck(2&3 don’t run at all right now apparently).

By the time that happens there should be a sale or a cheap key available online.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Looks like another Game of the Year contender in Alan Wake 2. Reviews are coming out and its sitting at 91 on OpenCritic and 90 on Metacritic - sites like Gamestop giving it a 10, IGN a 9...

What a great couple of months for gaming with so many brilliant games releasing.

• Advertisement

Weary about this one as I felt that the first game was kind of a bad game despite some interesting ideas. Remedy can deliver but also have had a few flops.

I'd take the metacritic score with a pinch of salt for now. Not seeing any trustworthy site review it other than metro game central and they gave it a 6.

Advertisement