Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The Nal wrote: »
    First game I ever loved

hqdefault.jpg

**** yeah! Myself and a school mate had many hilarious sessions playing that! The fact Bruce could give the sumo guy an oul slap for no other reason than just because always cracked me up. Having two players co-op was our key to finishing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Ah here I'd say way more of us here had a Nes than those who didn't. Emergency poll request.

According to the poll...you were wrong ! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Anyone played the Metro games? Metro Redux is €7 on PSN. Is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

J. Marston wrote: »

I actually have that on Xbox but never got around to playing it. I did play 2033 standard edition on PC and found it good but really hard for some reason in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

This is huge news. Billy Mitchell has had all his records removed from Twin Galaxies for cheating. If you've no idea what I'm talking about you should totally watch the documentary King of Kong. It's hilariously nerdy.

https://www.pedestrian.tv/gaming/billy-mitchell-records-wiped/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

This is huge news. Billy Mitchell has had all his records removed from Twin Galaxies for cheating. If you've no idea what I'm talking about you should totally watch the documentary King of Kong. It's hilariously nerdy.

No way !!! Hahaha. (he always looked a bit paedo/serial killer to me tbh)
    Between him and the guy who runs Twin Galaxies (Walter Day)....that was their life. Those records and maintaining.
    Hilariously nerdy and sad at time....like when you seen the guys watching countless hours of VHS tapes to verify the records...

I seen Walter pop up on some documentary recently....and at the end he was talking about his life with Yoga or something

Ahhh....it was from Man-vs-Snake, on Netflix. Another SAD story

I saw that one as well. Very interesting but at the same time... yeah, a bit depressing to say the least. Eddie in Pixels did a nice parody (never official but it's pretty much him)

55b13b872acae719008b95ca-750-375.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

SeantheMan wrote: »
    According to the poll...you were wrong ! :P

Well lousy on ye lads, ye missed out the awesomeness of the Power Glove. The Wizard was such a cool film :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Played the two of them and think they're great. Well with a punt at that price. Looking forward to the new one as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Played a good bit of them on and off but never completed them. Both solid shooters. Never fully understood the bullet economy mechanic, there's a way you can use stronger ammo against enemies but it's also in game currency so I never did it. Not a great deal of variety in the guns either, I thought but you can upgrade them. Will get around to finishing them at some point.

• Advertisement

Anyone buy a game off Smyths lately for home delivery? Just seeing what are the chances of receiving it launch day or even earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Great story, solid gameplay and looks good. I played 2033 last year and just finished Last Light this year and both are excellent games. Regarding the bullet economics gimli mentioned, I was the same and maintained the higher damage bullet for buying upgrades and stuff.

Complete bargin at €7.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Both I think have pretty generous demo's. Problem is they are one of them demo's where you have to download the whole game rather than a slice of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Well lousy on ye lads, ye missed out the awesomeness of the Power Glove. The Wizard was such a cool film :pac:

Best video game ad ever. Who wouldn't want Mario 3 after that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Seems maybe harsh? That guy might top himself or go postal from this. Was he actually cheating? I thought he set his records in that arcade they went to?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,797 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Seems maybe harsh? That guy might top himself or go postal from this. Was he actually cheating? I thought he set his records in that arcade they went to?

Nah they can do it at home. Filming themselves. But the point is that you can mod an emulator easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It's like being caught doping at the Olympics; they can retroactively make all your scores ineligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,701 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think even when the documentary was filmed there was suspicion about one of the tapes he sent in, but he was Billy Mitchell and had friends in Twin Galaxies, so it was just taken in good faith. It took someone properly analysing his video frame by frame and comparing it to an emulator rather than an Arcade machine to show it was ineligible.

Good enough for the prick anyway. He'll not top himself or go postal, but he'll probably try mount a legal challenge to it or something. Then again I'd say he likely knows there's too much evidence against him. He'll likely just b*tch and moan about it, say it's a conspiracy, fake news etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Spy Party (finally) released on Steam and into early access after very many years in development.

Picked it up before the price increase and played my first few games over the last day or so. It's ****ing immense. Really proves 'think outside of the box' approach to multiplayer design. Terrific tension as the clock winds down, or a complete thrill when you spot a game-changing 'tell' or pull off a tricky objective.

Great stuff: probably going to be in Early Access for several years, but while it's still being knocked into final shape it's fully and brilliantly playable at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Spy Party (finally) released on Steam and into early access after very many years in development.

I have been following this for years and was in the beta and then bought it 5 years ago but thought it had disappeared into vapour
    So an email went out the other day to say that we should be getting a Steam key so will wait for that to come through before trying it again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

That looks incredible! Is it two-player, or can more play as party guests etc? That could be immense fun in groups, and long story but the girlfriend's family would love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Adrestia

Currently back playing Horde on Gears Of War 4 after a stint of playing just platform games. Really want to give Doom a proper good go sometime soon too though. Alien skull cracking beauty.

I'd forgotten all about that spy party. Was really intrigued about it then heard nothing ever since. Might go take a look. How is lag in game? Would it be a giveaway for a spy to rubberband all over the place? Is the sniper shot required to be accurate? I live in Australia so I dunno what the playerbase for this would be like so if ping is important I might need to give it a miss.

• I'm not sure if anyone knows this but the below is a free map for Half Life 2 on Steam.

Played it last night, I could have swore this was made by valve.

Best piece of custom mapping I have played in years

Look this up: Half-Life 2: DownFall

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I'm a novice to Shenmue but when I look at the retrospectives of I always wonder does it hold up when Yakuza has been doing a similar kind of amusing lifestyle sim, brawler formula in the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Great news, Shenmue wasnt perfect but at the time there was absolutely nothing else like it available, good to get another chance to play it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Really liking Metro so far.

Also, I really like when games add pointless but very cool little details like this; When you're wearing the gas-mask, if it gets wet, you can wipe the mask clear with L1 but if you're hurt and have the blood on the screen effect and then wipe it, you'll smear blood across the mask for a second or two.

• Advertisement

Really liking Metro so far.

Also, I really like when games add pointless but very cool little details like this; When you're wearing the gas-mask, if it gets wet, you can wipe the mask clear with L1 but if you're hurt and have the blood on the screen effect and then wipe it, you'll smear blood across the mask for a second or two.

Books are well worth a look too , read the first one well after I'd finished the game and really enjoyed it.

Advertisement