Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I agree totally but I just don't like how it represented as this awful videogame to be mocked. Just check out the reception section on Wikipedia and you'll see for its time it was very well regarded.

It really got over shadowed when the likes of tomb raider came out which just had much better realised environments and worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Started watching Space 1999. This would make a great RPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

In amazing albeit scant news, Krafton (PUBG owners) have released a financial statement showing that "The Next Subnautica" will be releasing in 2025. Yay! Also, 2025... that's so far away. Hoping with the buyout in 2021 that Krafton have given plenty time and resources to Unknown Worlds to make the next Subnautica amazing. But that's all the news we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Does anyone know will there be a shortage of PS5'S for Christmas. I see Smyths are currently showing zero stock nationwide. Is it just a black Friday shortage...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,786 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

It will be interesting to see if it will be early access on pc for a year like the other games. Either way it will be a day 1 for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I'd imagine they are holding back stock for actual black Friday, and also for the run up to Xmas. But I wouldn't leave it too late if you have to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I went back to play Alan Wake thinking it might be worth it before playing 2. My god that game is brilliant and rubbish at the same time. It's been a frustrating few hours and I'm just on episode 3. Parts I've really enjoyed but far too often the game just gets in its own way.

And that shoulder camera returning to the default right hand side no matter how many times I put it to the left is driving me bonkers. You just have to look in the wrong direction and its reset.

Post edited by Grumpypants on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The jump in quality between Alan Wake 1 and 2 is maybe the biggest I’ve seen between any two entries in the same series. Not that AW2 is perfect or anything, but it’s a bold, uncompromising and fascinating game where AW1 was often just kind of a compromised bore. Not without its moments here and there, but AW2 is on a different level entirely.

Uncharted to Uncharted 2 is the only similar massive leap in quality I can think of, or to a lesser degree Mass Effect 1 to 2. Psychonauts maybe another one, but Psychonauts was always an interesting, ambitious game even if it took the sequel to fully realise its potential and smooth out the rougher edges.

Wrapped episode 3. That was a little more enjoyable. But getting a bit samey. Shine the light and shoot. While I admire the mechanic and how it does create panic. I seem to remember the first time I played it that was the overwhelming feeling too.

I think I'm half way done so may as well finish it now 😄

Edit: Episode 4 the Anderson farm was great. 😅

Post edited by Grumpypants on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

It's just over 13 months away if they release it 1/1/25 :D

Seriously though, it'll be 2025 before we know it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭recyclops

One thing Remedy do better than most is the memorable set piece, the farm in wake one, the satellite crash with Kasabian from american nightmare, The Ashtray Maze in Control were you are at the height of your powers and then THAT set piece from AW2, its kinda of cool most of them are using the same band as well.

Shout out to the Quantum Break bridge scene but there was no music sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

That reads like a bot wrote it.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. That's the thing that saves it.

I've constantly been moments away from shutting it all down due to some frustrating section.

But then I look up and it's 2am on a school night! And I'd to force myself to go to bed. Because the good moments are great.

It's got me hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Picked this up a few days ago:

TLOU1 on PC is another fantastic looking game. I thought I'd be waiting a while for something spectacular after AW2, but this is just beautiful. It's a pity it keeps crashing on me 🤨 I think I might even be stuck on a part where I can't progress. It's always the same area, but not always at the exact same time. It's one of those "clear out the area" parts which makes it even more frustrating having to redo it. I presume they're still working on it and there'll be another patch 🤷‍♂️

Some combat areas can be bypassed if you run quick enough. When i was playing on Grounded difficulty, it was so hard that I looked up tips and it said to use the speed running guides which has some sections of you running so fast in a certain route never spawned the enemies. Worth looking up for a game breaking glitch.

I saw on steam to lock it to 60fps. It seems to have helped, I got past the part that was glitching anyway.

I might use that tip though, even when I'm not glitching 😀 I don't think I've died as much in a game before. But it's not in a frustrating way, it's more of a try better next time kind of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Looking at the PS store deals and I'm very conflicted.

Lies of P (€48), Dead Space (€40) and Cyberpunk (€30 but Phantom Liberty is another €30 for the "full" experience) are all tempting me but I don't know which to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Cyberpunk is great. Am near the end of it myself and really loving it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Cordell

They are very different games, so it depends on what you are looking for. The most game for your euro will be Cyberpunk with Phantom Liberty, and the best from those three is Dead Space but it's much shorter and much more intense.

I see the PS5 game Pacific Drive (due out in Spring in 2024) will have a physical release which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That's it, I'm not sure what I want.

I'm burned out on open world checklist games but I love Cyberpunk's aesthetic and the customisation/character building appeals to me.

Lies of P, I know very little about it other than people calling it a brilliant Bloodborne clone and I adore Bloodborne.

Dead Space, loved the original and the remake was universally praised.

Whatever I pick, I need to make my mind up soon. The sales end at midnight tomorrow!

Can't wait to see more on that. It looks like such an interesting game but it will all depend if there's enough going on to get you to want to venture out and explore. Hopefully it does well.

With the game set in the Pacific northwest, a place we know from the excellent Days Gone, Pacific Drive is definitely on my radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

• Registered Users Posts: 4,690 ✭✭✭jj880

EA Play subscription regularly has a 1 month for 1 euro offer. Includes Dead Space.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,563 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd say if you adore Bloodborne, give Lies of P a try. The general consensus is that its not as good as most of the Soulsborne games, but it's also the closest any game has come to replicating that style. I thoroughly enjoyed it, it has a great balance throughout, some really tough boss fights, some decent level design, and a great aesthetic (though doesn't match the design and intricacies of FromSoftware games). But Lies of P also does enough to stand on its own feet, mixing together some of the best ideas from Soulsborne games but adding in a few of their own elements too.

I played the Dead Space remake (having never played the original) and it would also be a great choice if you loved the original. But I also kind of tired of it towards the end and just wanted it to be over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Hopefully the fuel tank will be bigger than a thimble so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭recyclops

Lies of P is in my top 3 games of the year. It's prob the best non fromsoftware from software game.

That being said I didn't pay for it due to gamepass. But if I picked it up full price I wouldn't have felt short changed at all.

Advertisement