Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,785 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Iconic performance :( I wonder if he had returned for the remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I must be one of the few people that doesn't play games at Christmas. Will be at the parents' so wouldn't want to be hogging the TV. Prefer the peace of just playing at home on my schedule.

Have a Switch but just prefer the big screen. Will bring my 3DS with me and maybe play a bit of it.

Or brother may set up his switch for a couple rounds of Switch Sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think like most people, when it comes to Christmas Day & Stephen's Day (and probably Xmas Eve too), I'll probably not be gaming at all due to family stuff. It's the days after between Xmas and New Year's that I'll get my gaming time in.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Jeez Against the Storm is completely unforgiving. I've only won 2 games out of 5 so far. It's not perfect and relies on a bit of chance. For example you need some herbs for a specific order but there are no herbs in the area. It's complete chance if you can discover any by clearing some forest area. The 3 times I've failed it's been because I simply do not have the resource I need available at all.

Post edited by PixelPlayer on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

If you have the ps+ tier that gives you the trials. There is a 2 hour trial of BG3 on it.

I played an hour so far and I'm on the fence. I can see why people think it's great, but I worry I don't really have the time to stitch together enough continuous sessions to stay on top of it and learn all the differences.

I'd barely started and I'd three menus on the go just to attack and no idea what anything did. I'm sure you come to get your head around it but I'd have preferred a gentler introduction.

• Advertisement

Sony can get fucked with their premium subscriptions for trials but a demo works be very handy. I was watching a gameplay overview earlier and a simple attack on some goblins looked mental with 3 menus like you said and a ton of characters on screen. I'd say once you get your head around it, it could be great but not sure I'm in the right mind state to take on a game like that right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭eggy81

Going to start a link to the past or chrono trigger over Christmas. Never played either game. Which holds up better. Both seem hugely well regarded today. I’ve played Zelda from twilight princess on but his have the ability to go back further through finally getting emulation sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah that's when I go back to my place for a couple days and catch up on TV in peace.

Plan now is to finish Forbidden West (main game done and playing Burning Shores now) before Saturday then start a new game in the new year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Both great. Chrono Trigger will appeal if you like jrpgs but link to the past is the better game for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,547 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Have a 3 and 4 year old so unlikely to get much gaming done unless they're in bed. That said, can't wait until they're older and I have an excuse to buy whatever the modern Nintendo will be because kicking their asses at Mario kart will be a coming of age experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I thought this too and now I can't get near the PS5 😥

It is impressive watching him though. He had cleared Jedi Fallen order, Rachet and Clank, pretty much all the lego games he could get his hands on. He is 5!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My nephew is getting a switch this year. He is five an absolutely obsessed with all the Nintendo characters. He's special need though and just not quite able to understand how to control games. Nintendo however has a self driving assist mode in Mario kart which is a blessing because it gives him the helping hand he needs to think he is playing and he just likes to see the characters. Hopefully he gets better at it. I want to be the cool uncle with all the best videogames 😂

It's really changed my opinion about all the uproar about the modes in Nintendo games where the game basically plays itself. I never had an issue with them as they were optional and the uproar was ridiculous but I can see now how good they are at enabling more people to enjoy these games. It also highlights why Nintendo are so far ahead of Sony and MS on terms of sales as their models really do appeal to much wider demographic. I really feel Sony have made a massive mistake in laser focusing on the gamer market.

That's class Retro. I know Sony 1st party studios have leaned heavily into accessibility options the last few years and it's something you might never use but makes the world of difference to some people.

Gonna finally show my 5 year old my PS5 after Christmas. All those shyte kids games on PS Plus will finally come in handy. Although I'm tempted to put on demons souls first to see her reaction to real gaming 😄

Sony's accessibility push is admirable but it seems to be more focused on people with physical disabilities. It's mental disabilities that Nintendo is so good at addressing (and conversely I've been hearing nintendo aren't the best when it comes to physical disabilities). It's also more that Sony don't really have the games to appeal to a more casual audience or games that might get your parents playing the way Nintendo do.

Hope your 5 year old has their mind blown by the PS5. Ive found old school sonic is a good starter game for young kids. You've one button and it's quite easy although my girlfriend's 4 year old nephew didn't quite get moving and pressing buttons at the same time. Mario is good as well but it's a little more complex. Even better again is to pick a simple game where you can help out. He really enjoyed bubble bobble despite me doing all the work on every level! I find at a young age kids aren't concerned about flashy graphics and just want something they can interact with and understand so old games are very popular.

I keep getting an urge to shock and awe my nephew with my metal gear revengeance skills but then I remember how ridiculously violent that game is 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

I hope you like Fornite. That's all the kids care about nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I think the default setting on Mario Kart 8 is assisted steering. I was playing it like this for a while before I figured that out. Maybe that's why some people complained ?

One thing that's very interesting for small kids (and adults 😁) is to fly the hawk/eagle around in Assassin's Creed Origins/Odyssey. It's also has some geography and history to experience too. In 4K 60 FPS it looks beautiful. I'd avoid all combat when they are doing this. There is also a guided history tour mode in both.

Actually, you can guide the horse and fly the hawk in AC Origins at the same time. It's pretty impressive. So you can be aware of stuff happening ahead on the road, before your horse gets there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Depends on what you show them, to be honest. My kids are mad into slime rancher, although they are 6 and 8 now.

In fact I'm blown away at the flying the eagle around the place thing. But I appreciate the artistic work and engineering that went into the game.

Most people are like, oh "just" a video game like it's easy to do. And they go watch I'm a celebrity or some shite.

It is but they also complained about the nabbit/invincibility modes in the mario games as well.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately that seems to be a thing. They appeal to people on the spectrum and if you get one friend that gets obsessed with it then all the other friends have to play it while anything else gets derided. Can see it happening to my nephew unfortunately as he has that obsessive personality but hoping his love of nintendo lasts a bit so I can enjoy it. I've already him talk to me about streamer fodder horror games like FNAF and Garten of Banban.

Unfortunately that would mean buying and playing an AC game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Do you mean Ace Combat or Armored Core? Animal Crossing...?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I fecking knew this would come up after hitting post comment. Although I expected days gone to be mentioned as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I would love if Microsoft got the IP for Days Gone. Days Gone II, only on Xbox and PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Speaking of Christmas time and kids ..

Animal Crossing is a sneaky move by Nintendo.

There is only one save PER CONSOLE.

So, the game can't be shared across, for example 2 kids. Unless theu share the same game world/save state. Otherwise they need separate Switch consoles

I honestly don't know how Nintendo is not called out for that.

• Advertisement

I'm sure Nintendo's excuse is that it's tradition since the previous games took so much memory you had to buy a cartridge or memory card for each save. But yeah, it's a big dick move and I know one family that had to buy two switches.

Advertisement