Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Embrace the grey! I've a fine ginger beard now, with a few greys going through it, and I love them! Add character, and it's a sign of maturity apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

This year I've started with greys and waking up to find hair fallen out onto the pillow :(
    I had those flashbacks to the xmas I got my PS1 as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    So the god of war director wanted the 1 continuous camera shot when he was working on tomb raider reboot, they told him it wouldn't work so he fecked off and started working on it in god of war instead. Cheers crystal dynamics :)

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/a-cool-god-of-war-ps4-feature-was-rejected-from-th/1100-6457602/

But surely cutscenes mean that it isn't 1 continuous shot? What am I missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

When you go into a cutscene, the camera swings around Kratos showing different characters or views but always swings back behind Kratos to continue on. It's really smooth to watch. Director said he wanted Kratos to be the anchor that he held everything together.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I genuinely don't remember any cut-scenes and I'm maybe 25%-30% of the way through. It either demonstrates how seamless they are or how bad my memory has become.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I paid €20 for the Killzone HD remaster on PS3 instead of just buying the original for 50c in CEX, because I have Killzone 2/3/Shadowfall but never played them, and figured I might as well start from the beginning in the best way possible.

Man, it's a terrible game. I can appreciate the graphics were good for a PS2 at the time but that's about it. Everything else is perfectly horrible - the story, the gameplay, the voice acting, the linear design, even the framerate is god-awful and makes it difficult to aim. To think this was touted as a 'Halo Killer' back in the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,798 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Didn't know this was out

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2018/mar/28/c64-commodore-64-mini-review-everyones-a-wally-boulder-dash-speedball

Having played a few games on the emulator I wouldn't imagine its worth it. More clutter and its really only good for a 5 minute nostalgia trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,701 ✭✭✭✭Penn

As others have said, it's all continuous. Camera behind Kratos during gameplay, but when it gets to a cutscene the camera pans around him and can move about. Then at the end of the cutscene, it pans back around to behind Kratos and the gameplay begins again. Even using the fast travel system, they worked it in such a way that there's no loading screen so as not to break that continuous shot. It's incredibly seamless throughout the entire game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

A bit out of left field...but holy-moly is this statue nice!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I paid €20 for the Killzone HD remaster on PS3 instead of just buying the original for 50c in CEX, because I have Killzone 2/3/Shadowfall but never played them, and figured I might as well start from the beginning in the best way possible.

Man, it's a terrible game. I can appreciate the graphics were good for a PS2 at the time but that's about it. Everything else is perfectly horrible - the story, the gameplay, the voice acting, the linear design, even the framerate is god-awful and makes it difficult to aim. To think this was touted as a 'Halo Killer' back in the day...

They actually took the time to remaster that turd? Even at release that game was gash. I'd go so far as to say kill zone 2 single player was god awful as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

killzone 2 was launched in a blaze of glory, I'm susceptible to marketing, I bought in. Probably never tried as hard to like a game but it was poor, really really poor.

Seeing a lot of articles this morning taking about GTA 4 (10 year anniversary today). I wonder why they never brought it to current gen. All it needed was a checkpoint system added to counter the annoyance of restarting long missions. Wouldn't mind giving it another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

I wonder why they never brought it to current gen.
    GTA5 and the bucketloads of money it generates every second.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Seeing a lot of articles this morning taking about GTA 4 (10 year anniversary today). I wonder why they never brought it to current gen. All it needed was a checkpoint system added to counter the annoyance of restarting long missions. Wouldn't mind giving it another go.

Kind of didn't like gta4. So much wrong with it mechanically and narratively and found it boring and repetitive with annoying car handling. DLC fixed a lot wrong with it but thankfully V got the formula back on track. GTA4 for me was massively overrated and I feel critical opinion agrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Zero-Cool wrote:

The lack of checkpointing puts me off replaying it. The tailing missions in particular were annoying to restart. If they re-released it they'd need to do that.
    They updated it this week too because the licensing of the soundtrack expired so many songs are being removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

ERG89 wrote: »
    The lack of checkpointing puts me off replaying it. The tailing missions in particular were annoying to restart. If they re-released it they'd need to do that.
    They updated it this week too because the licensing of the soundtrack expired so many songs are being removed.

I was wondering what that massive update was for on my Xbox One. The update is just about as large as the whole game.

I was wondering what that massive update was for on my Xbox One. The update is just about as large as the whole game.

Any idea what the update was besides removing music?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I liked the tunes in GTA IV. Preferred them over the ones in V.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Thought the radio stations took a massive dip in quality in IV in comparison to III, LC and SA

They actually reminded me why real life radio drives me up the wall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

I only ever really listened to the talk radio stations in GTA. Always thought they were hilarious.

• Advertisement

• I paid €20 for the Killzone HD remaster on PS3 instead of just buying the original for 50c in CEX, because I have Killzone 2/3/Shadowfall but never played them, and figured I might as well start from the beginning in the best way possible.

Killzone 3 is actually much improved
    I do agree though Killzone 2 does not hold up well at all

• Good piece by Jim, love him or hate him

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Shadow of Memories was a bonkers game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

****, that's rough. Never a right time to get cancer obviously, but so cruel at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Seems like he's been fighting it for ages. Almost forgot he was ill :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I don't watch YouTubers (which is strange, considering I someday do hope to have a channel), but I gave that a watch, and while I'm not a fan of the video in general, he makes some valid points. EA think MT's are the future, along with a loooooooot of other publishers. They believe SP games are not going to last, but their view is skewed by the millions of potential revenue for an online game with MT's done right. GoW has proven that a SP game can beat out everything review wise, and while it has most definitely made PS some money, it will pale in comparison to the online intake of the likes of CoD, BF and GTA, and imo that's all EA care about, money. They're not in it for the games anymore, they're in it for the shareholders.

I hope EA wake up, they own so many IP's that it would be a shame for them to concentrate on MP only going forward. Or at least get them to sell the SP IP's to other companies who would be more than happy to have the licence!

Finally beat all the Valkyries to get to
    Sigrun
    . She is hard, but fair. Will take me a while, after 5/6 goes I've only managed to get her health down to 3/4's, but I know I can do it. Got the main upgrade from Niflheim after beating the Valkyrie there, but still need to go back and open all but 2 chests and all 3 realm tears there! Finally level 7, and went from bordering level 7 to now bordering level 8 just by upgrading the Blades, Axe and Armor (once per piece). I still can't get my head quite around the upgrades, but it's still simple enough to change and see the difference. I highly recommend removing all enchantments if you're looking at changing armor. With them on, the stats are skewed. With one of Nilfheims armours, I was borderline level 7, removed all 9 enchantments and dropped back to level 5...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,362 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

SNK Neo Geo Mini Revealed (Exclusive)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2II_FVEdQM

DcWo1twWkAAX7PP?format=jpg

DcWo4wgXcAYkv8-?format=jpg

DcWo61OXkAEqjyt?format=jpg

Here's the list of games:

• The King of Fighters '95
    • The King of Fighters '97
    • The King of Fighters '98
    • The King of Fighters 2000
    • The King of Fighters 2002
    • Art of Fighting
    • Fatal Fury Special
    • Real Bout Fatal Fury
    • Garou: Mark of the Wolves
    • Samurai Shodown II
    • Samurai Shodwon IV
    • Samurai Shodown V Special
    • The Last Blade 2
    • World Heroes Perfect
    • Kizuna Encounter
    • Metal Slug
    • Metal Slug 2
    • Metal Slug 3
    • King of the Monsters 2
    • Shock Troopers 2nd Squad
    • Sengouku3
    • Ninja Masters
    • Top Player's Golf
    • Super Sidekicks
    • Blazing Star
    • Puzzled
    • Metal Slug X
    • Metal Slug 4
    • Metal Slug 5
    • Magician Lord
    • King of the Monsters
    • Blue's Journey
    • Shock Troopers
    • Robo Army
    • Crossed Swords
    • Mutation Nation
    • 3 Count Bout
    • Last Resort
    • Ghost Pilots
    • Football Frenzy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I don't watch YouTubers (which is strange, considering I someday do hope to have a channel), but I gave that a watch, and while I'm not a fan of the video in general, he makes some valid points. EA think MT's are the future, along with a loooooooot of other publishers. They believe SP games are not going to last, but their view is skewed by the millions of potential revenue for an online game with MT's done right. GoW has proven that a SP game can beat out everything review wise, and while it has most definitely made PS some money, it will pale in comparison to the online intake of the likes of CoD, BF and GTA, and imo that's all EA care about, money. They're not in it for the games anymore, they're in it for the shareholders.
    What YongYea and indeed other people commenting on this stuff generally fail to recognize though is the different goals that EA have when making a single player game compared to when Sony make one. In EA's case, the sole purpose is to make money from sales directly related to the game whereas Sony, while of course wanting to cover development costs and make a tidy profit on individual titles, are also in the business of supporting their platform, e.g. selling consoles. With God of War, that was a five year development cycle with, on average, around 200 people working on it directly. That's going to result in a huge budget for any studio to consider but when the reward is a fantastically reviewed title which will act as a system seller, it makes perfect sense for them to invest heavily in. They don't care if people buy it and then trade it in or move onto another title because it keeps people on their platform and ensures they'll continue to make money from every subsequent title sold on said platform. If that title comes with a well received multiplayer component then that's even better as it means more PS+ subs.

That of course doesn't justify ****ty implementations of micro transactions that the likes of EA have been so guilty of but it's certainly something that should be taken into consideration when comparing various titles or the direction taken by certain companies. As an aside, I'm not sure they even think MTs are the future, I'd be of the opinion that they see it as the present or at least short term future. These things are cyclical after all, back in the last console generation every game suddenly had to have co-op and multiplayer elements even when they had no place in the game (sup, Dead Space) whereas now things have scaled back somewhat with more tailored experiences. Remember, even God of War: Ascension had a multiplayer mode last gen.

I think Sterling's comment in the previously linked video holds, or at least will hold, true. These games a service style titles may be in now and certain publishers may be investing in them heavily but eventually the arse is going to fall out of them and there'll be something new to get behind (or milk, if you want to be more cynical about it) but the best thing about single player games is that they're evergreen, there'll always be a market for high quality titles that offer a focused experience and don't need significant amounts of time invested in them.

Advertisement