Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Haven't played RDR1 in a long time. RDR2 keeps crashing on me on PC which is spoiling the experience. Screen goes black and I've to hard reboot the PC. Very frustrating, I just traversed across the map only for it to crash when I got to my destination. Now I've to travel there all over again. It's random, not in the same place each time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm kind of enjoying Doom Eternal. It took a while to click as it just choke slams you to the ground since you can carry so little ammo and the game doesn't explain to the player how you use the chainsaw to mitigate it. But it just gets more and more complicated with new enemies added with new weaknesses and you end up doing a lot of micromanagement. I do really love the game but even for me, a massive fan of hardcore character action games, the game is exhausting to play. I can't play for more than two hours as it's just way too intense. I came off the game last night and went to talk to the girlfriend and her mate and I was still shaking with adrenaline from playing it. Never gotten that from any other game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

Greatest game ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Eternal was the same for me. I felt like I spent more time reloading and swapping weapons than blasting demons. It was a constant struggle to run out of ammo and have to sprint away which kinda goes against the Doom slayer character. I enjoyed it though but hit a wall in the later stages where there was just so many enemies on screen it was impossible to see what was going on.

I liked the first one more, and also immortals last year had a similar style but was executed better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,547 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Eternal was great. I made the mistake of playing through most of it like it was 2016 but once I started playing how the developers wanted it to be played, it clicked. Couldn't see myself replaying 2016 after playing eternal.

Learning to kite a bunch of small enemies into a small spot and flamethrower -> grenade was a game changer for survivability

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Only got to watch it just now and was expecting something a bit weird at no. 1 but his pick is totally deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭Corvo

Can anyone point me towards the Boards PowerWash Simulator Support Group? Honestly, I can't stop.

Does anyone want their house powerwashed?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I recently powerwashed my mother's car. Its not as fun. Not even slightly.

Jus to note, if you're going for the Plat if you're on PS, the career trophy is bugged... its why I've uninstalled it. Finished the career last night, and the last one takes a fair while, so not too interested in doing it again. But it's like this 8 months now according to Reddit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Yeah I was happy enough FromSoft got the nod. Some of these lists are great for highlighting games I’ve not played or heard of even - that Eurogamer one you posted has a few in it too I think. I’ll need to pick up the System Shock remake and that Gravity Circuit game which I’d not heard of before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭recyclops

Same I have played around 6 of the games he mentioned and agree they are all worthy of a spot on the list, I have yet to play no1, but taking a break from games that will stress me out for the early new year so keep working away on Dave the Diver and Mario Wonder for now

John from DF is usually great for those. Sure it was him that made me take a chance on ace combat 7.

I think I will give Ace Combat 7 a go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I like Digital Foundry, it has non of the shouty, hyperbole, click bait, fake outrage stuff you usually see on many of the other channels.

It's what people mean when they want an objective review. No irrelevant opinions, they just tell you what the game is like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't watch DF for reviewing because they almost never actually dig into the game experience itself - just the technical performance? Yeah sometimes they'll make a remark on how the game plays but can't say I've had that sense of the "review" being the driving force or takeaway - or the reason I watch. Not least because they only even look at games with some technical aspect worth discussing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not really - Digital Foundry covers some of the only ‘objective’ data you can discuss when it comes to video games, such as graphics tech, performance and resolution. They can be highly opinionated when talking about art design, industry trends or whether or not they actually liked games, as anyone who watches DF Direct can testify to. Hell, even aspects of technology are highly subjective. But they’ll be the first to admit their reviews are focused on the tech first and foremost.

Most of the people who want only ‘objective’ broader game reviews are people who are simply complaining about opinions that don’t match their own or are unable to accept game reviews as criticism rather than consumer guides.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭McFly85

So, the missus got me a ps5 steering wheel for Christmas(a decision she’s already regretting due to the sheer size of it!).

Have GT7 already and enjoying it, any other games good with a steering wheel? The crew motorfest looks like a decent forza horizon alternative, is it any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I think there is a whole swade of ex video game journalists and developers in the UK who could have really interesting insights into video games with none of the drama.

Would make fantastic YouTube long form podcasts.

Also, a Japanese one with subtitles would be amazing.

I'm sure a US one would work too, but I'm tired of the vernacular of Americanisms that pervades YouTube globally. It's so boring and fake.

I think that's why stuff like Lex Friedman is becoming so popular ... he does things differently in a calm manner, whereas Joe Rogan and Mr. Beast etc wreck my head at this stage.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Had a post all typed out, then realised that it's a mugs game getting into the whole "reviews should be objective, oh no they shouldn't" thing again.

• Advertisement

Grab EA Sports WRC. Prob the best driving game out at the moment. Cheap enough too.

Just got ripped off by Steam 😒. Bought RDR2 for a 2nd time (already own it on Xbox) because I figure it's worth paying for it again to play it on PC Ultra 60fps+ etc But the game is constantly crashing on me and I have to redo missions again or traverse the map again. I've clocked up 4 hrs and honestly the majority of that has been messing with settings trying to get it work. I'll tweak some settings, get 30-60 mins out of it and think all is fixed only for it to bloody crash again. I explained this in my refund request but they just flat out denied the refund and closed the ticket so I can't even reason with them. Okay, I know technically I haven't been ripped off as the rules are you have to play less than 2 hrs. But really I have been ripped off. I've a game that is unplayable. No solutions online. No logs, no errors in windows event viewer. It just bombs out, my screen goes black, monitor turns off and I have to hard reset the PC. Anyways, sorry for the rant. I've one more day before my no more ranting online new years resolution starts 😁

I'd typical as soon as I post a rant online I figured it out and got it working. I had to switch to DX12, which I swear I tried already but seems you need to restart the game after switching which I may not have originally done. Now, back to chilling out in the Wild West 😉

Post edited by PixelPlayer on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭jj880

Dont see a PC Gaming thread so posting here:

Originally posted in the Amazon bargains thread. Seems like a mad discount. Ive 1 ordered and its been dispatched. Still in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Didn't really need it but that is a cracking discount and I wouldn't mind switching my wired mouse for a wireless one

Kind of figured this would cause issues but first Ive seen people complain about Sony changing what the X and O buttons do in Japan (of note is that Sony pretty much did the same in the West with the PlayStation which is why it's different from Nintendo).

Kind of feels like they have given up on the Japanese market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Resi 4 remake and dead space remake get them on PS5 or pc, 3800x and 3070 on the pc so I know vram would be an issue. Have all the resi games on steam bar any copy of 4 🤣

• Advertisement

For anyone picking up the free epic store games, looks to be some more decent ones coming:

https://x.com/PC_Focus_/status/1741135184714440748?s=20

Advertisement