Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

This is the last big bug bear I had with nintendo so good to see it resolved

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I'm curious as to why Baulder's Gate could not run on Switch. The main game play is turn based, so it only needs low frame rates and resolutions. The rest is exploration and cut scenes.

Or am I totally missing something here ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Turn-based still requires a stable frame rate, especially in BG3. It would be awful to play in 'low frame rate' - you can't just have it run at 15 FPS or whatever because the combat isn't real-time. It requires constant navigation of large, sprawling battlefields, control over multiple characters, complex physics simulations, multi-level combat scenarios etc... And the real-time exploration is a massive part of the game too.

Also, the complex, messy performance demands of Act III have humbled PC and consoles alike, while the inability to get split screen running on Series S delayed the entire Xbox release of the game.

A Switch port might be possible, but I'm not sure why anyone would want to play it as it'd undoubtedly be the worst version of the game. Much better waiting off until its successor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm pretty sure a switch port is more than possible but it's also going to have to be nearly a complete rebuild with a lot of optimisation work to get running. Larian are relatively small and are still patching the original release. They probably have to decide on a switch port or a new project and a new project is probably a better option.

• Advertisement

I wasn't suggesting bad specs, say 30 FPS / 720p ... and it would be an amazing portable game I would think.

But, seems like there is a lot going on under the hood. I bet some expert Switch developers could do it, but they are probably working for Nintendo.

Definitely will give the game a spin at some stage, but I have an aversion to turn based games. But looks like this game is worth it !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's also their own engine which might not be built for porting to switch, although their divinity game has been ported.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Most 'impossible' ports on Switch, even the good ones, run at far lower than 720p resolution.

The game seems to run 'OK' on Steam Deck, with the caveat that 'OK' means frame drops into the teens. But again, if you have any other way to play the game - like a PC, PS5 or Xbox Series console - I think you'd be better off just going for it.

That's a good point. The UI is already a bit messy on console. It's would probably be unreadable at 540p on a switch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've played almost none of these so called "impossible" ports because too often they require too many sacrifices and compromise to make the experience worth it. Graphics aren't everything but they do Help; all the gameplay in the world doesn't matter when it looks like a bugged out low res version. Gotta draw the line somewhere

• Advertisement

I'll get it for my Series X when they are finishing patching it and the price drops. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

One simple thing that would prevent games such as BG3 COD and many others from running on Switch is their file size, cloud based streaming aside even running them from sd cards would get overly complicated it'll be one of the things I am most concerned about for the next gen switch being able to keep up with the new age PC based handhelds and what ever Sony and Microsoft put out next.

You'll find a lot of the ridiculous file sizes are from the publishers forcing you to download all the uncompressed sound files for all languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭recyclops

it can be picked up for nearly 20 quid on X already, myself and the wife are trying it out but we dont think its for us, I may give it a stab on my own.

I do know I had to stop playing Disco Elysium on the switch as its so far too sluggish it ruined the game for me so can only imagine what Baldurs would do to it .

Good to know. I have time for 1 large game this year, and it'll be Witcher 3, Elden Ring or maybe Baulder's Gate. Currently improving my combat skills to finish off the final boss in TOTK. I hate rushing these big games and I can only immerse myself into one of them.

They make for good Digital Foundry content, and if there are people out there who for whatever reason only have access to a Switch for the foreseeable future, it's certainly better than nothing. I guess there is an argument that the small handheld screen at least limits / masks some shortcomings on some of the more competent ports, even if they're still blurry as hell. But for anyone who has any other way of playing those games or is happy to wait until they do, it just really isn't worth it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm one of those gamers who has passively found themselves with only the Switch as my primary gaming option - and I think the "impossible" port has their limits.

It's the Vaseline effect that drives me most insane. I can just about live with the lower resolution but omg the way everything looks so blurred and like someone fúcked up the LOD system made attempts at things like The Witcher 3 impossible to endure. Is also why I've stayed clear of No Man's Sky etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I would love if Ubisoft released another Watch Dogs game this year.

Also I got the spelling of the game wrong !!

So, who knows what game I was referring to 😀 Maybe that game runs perfectly on Switch

With the amount of good games from 2023 to catch up on and the next 3 months looking to be filled with great games and even a game I'll play most probably end up hate finishing (ff7 rebirth), it would feel like a sin to play a Ubisoft game before all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The new 2D Prince of Persia game could be worth a spin. Skeptical about it, but interested all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭niallpatrick

I'm done with EA, seriously this is the 2nd game of theirs I've bought via steam and it's a nightmare to even launch. Battlefield 5, I tried the online fixes even edited the reg with a new string and nope it's stuck in a loop. I've asked for a refund from steam which is now pending. The other game I bought is Star wars squadrons and was really looking forward to it in VR on the Q2, my fault didn't read the requirements fully. It doesn't support the Q2 fully, you can't use the hand controllers just an x box controller/keyboard mouse and movement is provided by the headset which is disorientating but I'm keeping it anyway.

Seriously EA they deserve their DRM to go under the same as GFWL, awful. Origin was fine but EA play and the EA app not linking into steam is just brain numbing infuriating. In the same week hundreds asked for refunds from steam because of BFV.

And one of those games whose Switch port could be potentially "interesting", given the subject of ports. It doesn't look the most technically taxing, but unfortunately with Switch ports while a particular game might not be especially bleeding edge, publishers can put a bare minimum effort for the handheld console. Hopefully not, and hopefully it's good 'cos I am a definite sucker for a good Metroidvania.

From the same people who did Rayman Legends. I'd say it'll be good.

It's 120 FPS 4K on PS5 / Series X. 60 / 1080p Switch.

Also, if you wait a while it'll get the Ubisoft discount.

Demo out on Switch next week too ...

After giving out about Ubisoft games I have to say I've always enjoyed the PoP games and in particular the unusual for a videogame setting. Played most of them except for the Forgotten Sands games.

I was actually thinking about how disappointing the 2008 game was. It looked and played great but the hun structure meant you ended up back tracking a lot which got annoying. However what really stuck out to me was the outcry over the death mechanic meaning you couldn't die and were just set back a couple of platforms. It's seemed blasphemous back then but in a modern context it's a mechanic that we are all used to and it was just way a bit too ahead of its time.

Demo out on Switch next week too ...

Oh, sweet; well I know what I'll be doing next week then so. That's a good sign in of itself 'cos you'd imagine there'd not be a demo for the Switch if Ubi weren't confident; if it was something slung over the wall in the last week of dev. you'd wanna make sure nobody plays it before parting way with their cash 🤣

Going to see Rhiannon Giddens in Vicar Street ... who contributed some excellent music to RDR2 ... including this, in this beautiful piece of video game cinematography...

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

I love that scene and the music captures it beautifully. Moving to pastures new with Spring in the air.

I'm 17 hours in now and also watching some western movies. I'm completely engrossed I don't want it to end. Been a while since I felt this way about a game.

It's amazing how 5 years ago the game didn't really click. I thought it was a beautiful game, a good game. But I just didn't have the time to be riding a horse around in a video game. Now 5 years later it's the perfect game for me right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I plan on getting the new Prince of Persia at some point anyway.

But was watching a couple of clips of it and having recently also completed Hollow Knight and seeing clips of Celeste, I have to ask, whose idea was it to think "Oh all games just need to be covered in spikes".

Also, I mention this a lot when people talk of liking Prince of Persia, but for anyone who wasn't aware, the Wii version of Forgotten Sands was a completely different game from the PS360 version. So if you weren't aware and have the ability to play it, I recommend it.

• Advertisement

So, did you sort out the technical issues you had with the game ? Think you said it was crashing or ???

Advertisement