Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Yep got it sorted. It was crashing a lot, near on unplayable. I had to switch from Vulkan to DX12. All sorted now, beautiful ultra HDR settings and 80-100 fps. That's one good thing about waiting 5 years to play a game 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭McFly85

I’ve high hopes for the lost crown. Ubisoft are no strangers to solid platforming and a metroidvania is a perfect fit for a throwback to the originals.

Won’t be on steam though, booooo! I guess it’ll have to be the PlayStation so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Registered Users Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ah, will wait a while to get Like A Dragon: Infi..... it has a city builder where you are given a blank island (Dondoko Island) to build up from scratch and even make your own home on it!!??? DAY 1!

Edit: I completely missed this reveal a couple of months ago

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not only has it got an animal crossing rip off but a whole Pokemon rip off as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't want to get ahead of myself or anything, but Infinite Wealth could be the best JRPG ever made given all the wild stuff they're doing in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I love battering street thugs with a traffic cone in the Yakuza games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've no proper idea what the Yakuza games even are and at this stage I'm too afraid to ask.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

They're amazing, and that's all you need to know :P

But seriously: the new protagonist Ichiban (who was introduced along with the shift to turn-based combat in the last mainline game) is maybe my favourite video game character, as he's such a lovable goofball. And the games have totally embraced the wild and the wacky, while also being surprisingly smart and forward-thinking. A great example of a series reinventing itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Gives rise to this "never skip a cut scene" clip that was doing the rounds. 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Especially since this was designed as a JRPG from the get-go rather than an April Fool's that got out of hand.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I enjoyed Like a Dragon but it is very, very grindy trying to upgrade your weapons.

I definitely have a few balance and gameplay issues with Like a Dragon, and the pacing of the Yakuza games in general can be rather frustrating. But Like a Dragon did so much right, and if Infinite Wealth expands and refines all that it could be something very special.

Also, the mainline series is loooonnnng overdue a big change of location like this one is doing. I know Like a Dragon went to Yokohama, but Hawaii is the biggest swing the series has taken so far so hopefully it pays off!

I think it was recommended here a few times so I picked up Against the Storm. Perfect for the steam deck and looks amazing on OLED.

Little 20 min loops that are surprisingly running into hours of game play.

Also grabbed blade runner enhanced edition on steam for €4. Comes with the original too. But I've heard the enhanced edition has gotten better since it's launch where it ended up looking worse than the original 😭

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well well. Apparently, the Switch has been the primary platform this was developed for - with 60fps promised for both docked and handheld. This bodes well for a potentially excellent "port"

1440p on ultrawide. I don't watch fps too closely to be honest. 80-100 makes it sound like it swings widely but its pretty consistent. I've seen it on the 80s and I've seen it hit the 100s but mostly it's consistently around 90.

I've a 6800XT. Not top of the range by any meams but if you don't care about Ray Tracing (which I don't, because it sacrifices fps) then I'd recommend AMD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭jj880

Anyone looking forward to this free mod? I am.

You need to own Portal 2 to use this mod when it releases. Currently on sale for 0.97 euro.

ABOUT THIS GAME

Portal: Revolution is a fan-made mod for Portal 2 which plays before the events of Portal 2 in the dead and decaying Aperture facility.

MECHANICS

Over 40 new puzzles

The campaign contains 40 brand new puzzles making use of new test elements and presents existing mechanics in a new way not seen in Portal 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

What I dislike about these mods or any fan made games is they tend to miss the point of the main game and seem to be aimed at hardcore fans who want more difficult versions. The portal games had short room sized puzzles with only the occasional one where you had to react to something and if you had to reset it only cost you maybe a minute at most.

I remember playing Mel and think I stopped after getting to an area which required precision portal placement while being flung through the air and when I failed it took a couple minutes just to get to that point again. Watched a play through of it later and seemed they had even longer levels.

It's like people creating levels in Mario Maker. I don't think I played any that could be mistaken for a level made by Nintendo. All went for the hard or gimmicky options.

Of course, maybe this one will be different. Also I'm just not good at games. 😃

I had not heard of Mel. Had a quick look and there are 9 community mods for Portal 2 showing up in Steam. Must try a few of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I think it depends on the game.

Puzzle games they're going to be more difficult as it's the more hardcode players who are interested.

But I find a lot of mod where it's not complete reskin just make things easier by adding in a lot of over powered stuff or automated stuff.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Portal Reloaded is another one I might try. It adds a third portal for time travel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thought I'd sit down last night and blast through the Kirby and the Forgotten Land post game content but it's a bit like the Mario games were the post game is really quite substantial. Each stage is a remix of all the stages from every world and it's actually sort of challenging with the game getting very creative with the game's abilities. The boss fights are all based on the previous ones but they've gone to town on them by giving them extra attacks, phases and buffing up their standard attacks. Great little way to finish off the game.

Have found myself surprisingly engrossed by The Talos Principle 2. Bounced off the first early enough - despite liking what it was doing, I found its puzzling and environments a bit one note (at least in the chunk I played). But the second is a lot more expansive both in terms of variety and design. It’s a big, sprawling ambitious undertaking, much larger than its modest entry price would suggest. The writing strikes a good mix between serious philosophising and playfulness. And most importantly the puzzles are really bloody good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Digital pre-orders for Pacific Drive on Playstation Store, Epic Games Store and Steam will be available tomorrow the 9th of January.

Pacific Drive is a game I'm definitely interested in.

Gave this a go today. Very well made mod. Only played the first few levels to see how it plays but enjoying it.....already stumped 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭recyclops

I am not one to care for platinum or achievement hunting as I find it mostly pointless but Dave the Diver has me hooked, I just want everything and how its presented to you make it more and more desirable.

I just want more people to play this game as its easily in my top three of last year.

Anyone try Hell Let Loose on Game Pass? I'm not able to connect, "Game is Full" message every time even on servers that are far from full. Lots complaining of the same. Bit of a Sh!t show, you would think they'd test it before releasing. It was the same with Payday 3. Makes me wonder what the process is for releasing a game on GP because checking that the game works first would seem to be the most obvious thing to do first yet it seems that is not even a requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Really hope it comes to console, will be a day one from me if/when it does.

• Advertisement
Advertisement