Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,798 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

sligeach wrote: »
    SNK Neo Geo Mini Revealed (Exclusive)

3.5 inch screen. :confused:

All those games are free online.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

The Nal wrote: »
    All those games are free online.
    You could say the same about S/NES Mini tbh, but there's still a market for those.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I remember seeing neo geo games being advertised for £100 or £200+ back when the console was being sold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Why didn't they do one like the SNES where you play it on your TV?

eyerer wrote: »
    Why didn't they do one like the SNES where you play it on your TV?
    It has HDMI out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

...it will pale in comparison to the online intake of the likes of CoD, BF and GTA, and imo that's all EA care about, money. They're not in it for the games anymore, they're in it for the shareholders.

Maybe it's my bleak outlook, but I'd think that all publishers are in it for the money. They don't care if the game is great and the fans are happy; it's a bonus if they are. Smaller publishers might have that outlook. Small indie teams are in it for the love of gaming. But large publishing corporations have one thing in mind, and that's their yearly bonus and the bank balance. Hence the crunch and terrible conditions facing game developers.

I haven't got 15 minutes to listen to Jim harp on in the video posted above by M!Ck^, but I'd think that's why we don't get so many of what he terms "mid-shelf" games. Games as a service are a cash cow. That's why subscriptions and loot boxes exist; they make easy money. If you're the CEO of EA you're going to push Assassins Creed 17, with it's tried and tested "crowd-pleasing" formula, before you push out a new IP which could be hit or miss. In the same year you'll also push a remake of the original Dead Space because the nostalgia will ensure punters part with their cash.

I think the gaming industry has gotten stale. Re-release, after re-release. Reviving of old IPs. Instead of getting mid-shelf games like the next Vanquish, we get indie games that look like SNES reissues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I remember seeing neo geo games being advertised for £100 or £200+ back when the console was being sold

They were astronomically pricey. The console was already very expensive to begin with, but it did offer a full-on arcade experience on a home console.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've no doubt they're all in it for the money, but the video of Cory Barlog reading the reviews for the first time really showed that he cared about how the game would be received. Yeah, he knew it had to make money, but that was a given considering it was the first GoW made for the PS4 it would sell well anyway. But the reaction by Corey, to me, showed that he genuinely put everything into it and was genuinely blown away by the positive feedback.

EA may not have the same want or need to have their games as console sellers, but i think that oversight will be their downfall. They already are the 'worst' gaming company, and it's only a matter of time before people get sick of their crap and stop buying out of principle. I didn't think I'd be one of those people, but i've already done it with Shadow of War, a game I should be interested in but refuse to buy due to the MT crap. And I'm not the only one, so it's only a matter of time before more and more people start voting with their wallets (see Star Wars: BF2).

EA have the power and money to bring amazing new IP's or reinvent some old IP's, but unless it comes with guaranteed money, or the ability to milk players through MT's, they don't want to know. Rare took a chance with Sea of Thieves but they didn't do it properly and ending up creating an empty game. Ubisoft were on the ball with AC: Origins, gave it time to develop and created an amazing SP game that has MT's but are far from required. Sony have done it with GoW and don't even have MT's. MS have Forza, but that appears to be getting stale, with most fans preferring 6 to 7, again due to MT's or something that changed I believe. CDPR are the marker to live up to.

You could say the same about S/NES Mini tbh, but there's still a market for those.

Theres always a market for suckers.

Double post

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm not fan of the 'game as service' model, but I'm always left scratching my head a bit when something like God of War is hailed as some kind of saviour of the industry. It's a decent game for sure, but personally I'm never really short on single player games to play through that are absent of any micro-transactiony bull****. It's been years since I've played a big AAA game where I felt like I was being nickle-and-dimed. True, I skip a lot of the egregious offenders from EA, Warner Bros and the like (more from being not interested in most blockbusters, although that certainly helps when it comes to following through on the moral objections ;)), but even then I still think we're in a pretty good place. I mean, look at the Switch's output last year alone, with its astounding selection of great single-player games. If games like GoW seem in any way rare, I'd also put forward that that's a result of games of that scale and expense now taking years to craft and polish. AAA development is only growing more complex, after all.

Mid-tier games haven't gone away. The recent success of Yakuza 0, Persona 5, Nier Automata, Hellblade, Dishonored, Divinity Original Sin, X-Com, Ni-Oh etc.... shows there's still very much a market for games somewhere between 'indie darling' and 'AAA blockbuster'. If recent sales successes are anything to go by, I wouldn't be surprised if we see even more of these types of games being released given their obvious commercial appeal when they're done well.

The generalisation of indie games that "look like SNES reissues" is also deeply unfair, and IMO completely fails to capture the diversity of the indie scene at the moment. Are there lots of pixel art platformers? Sure, although I'm not complaining in cases where they're as good as something like Celeste. But then you have games - and this is just keeping to the last 12 months or so - like Gorogoa, Hellblade, Ghost of a Tale, Echo, Nex Machina, Opus Magnum, Edith Finch, The Sexy Brutale, Cuphead, Snake Pass, Spy Party, Thumper... these are just some of the bigger name ones, and frankly the list could go on and on with the likes of itch.io experiments. There are games of all sorts of aesthetic approaches, with all sorts of mechanics and gameplay styles, and many that are artistically far more accomplished and ambitious than even the golden age of mid-tier gaming. Indie gaming is in rude health, if perhaps suffering from the flood of **** on Steam. Still, even just the occasional check in with some of the more enthusiast publications will offer a near endless supply of interesting titles to check out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

The Nal wrote: »
    Theres always a market for suckers.

where? I want one!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I'm not fan of the 'game as service' model, but I'm always left scratching my head a bit when something like God of War is hailed as some kind of saviour of the industry. It's a decent game for sure, but personally I'm never really short on single player games to play through that are absent of any micro-transactiony bull****. It's been years since I've played a big AAA game where I felt like I was being nickle-and-dimed. True, I skip a lot of the egregious offenders from EA, Warner Bros and the like (more from being not interested in most blockbusters, although that certainly helps when it comes to following through on the moral objections ), but even then I still think we're in a pretty good place. I mean, look at the Switch's output last year alone, with its astounding selection of great single-player games. If games like GoW seem in any way rare, I'd also put forward that that's a result of games of that scale and expense now taking years to craft and polish. AAA development is only growing more complex, after all.

Mid-tier games haven't gone away. The recent success of Yakuza 0, Persona 5, Nier Automata, Hellblade, Dishonored, Divinity Original Sin, X-Com, Ni-Oh etc.... shows there's still very much a market for games somewhere between 'indie darling' and 'AAA blockbuster'. If recent sales successes are anything to go by, I wouldn't be surprised if we see even more of these types of games being released given their obvious commercial appeal when they're done well.

It's more that a big company was willing to throw a lot of money to create a AAA single player game that took 5 years to make & in the end made their money back.
    They didn't take a chance to throw in microtransactions for the sake of making back money or talk about season passes.
    Sony have a pretty clever grasp of the what the current market is by releasing stuff like God Of War & Horizon earlier in the year when it's quiet for multi platform games so they stood out more whereas the likes of Dishonored 2 or Wolfenstein 2 didn't perform as well.
    I think what Sony, Nintendo & others put out compared to what EA, Activision or Ubisoft put out reflects badly on the latter who claim games are so expensive to make yet release stuff as lazy as Destiny 2, Battlefront 2 or <insert Ubisoft open world simulator 2018>.

Not being a fanboy either but Microsoft have mishandled their first party games too they killed Fable trying to make it into something it never was, Crackdown is still up in the air & they cancelled Scalebound too so they are missing out on this market at the minute. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've no doubt they're all in it for the money, but the video of Cory Barlog reading the reviews for the first time really showed that he cared about how the game would be received. Yeah, he knew it had to make money, but that was a given considering it was the first GoW made for the PS4 it would sell well anyway. But the reaction by Corey, to me, showed that he genuinely put everything into it and was genuinely blown away by the positive feedback.

Cory Balrog is the creative director so of course he was emotionally attached to a project he put 5 years into.

However to say it was a totally passion that sold the project is to ignore the shareholders and stakeholders inbolted at Sony. Cory is lucky he works at Sony who have traditionally used their first parties to flesh out gaps in their consoles line up. The decision to green light gid of war was down to how much a big exclusive would sell more Sony consoles and give it a more attractive line up. If you were working for EA you would be selling yourself to different stakeholders that want as much money out of a multimillion dollar investment and that would mean loot boxes and micro transactions for a massive game as a service.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Cory Balrog
    I keep doing that too. Every time I see him mentioned I think of SFII.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

The generalisation of indie games that "look like SNES reissues" is also deeply unfair, and IMO completely fails to capture the diversity of the indie scene at the moment.

It was a terrible generalisation by me. I think I was trying to convey my dissatisfaction at the explosion of indie games. I've played many and there are few which I consider a worthwhile investment of my time. I think a lot of them try to do something new or different, but so often it becomes more of a novelty than an enjoyable game.

Take Firewatch. A game that was visually gorgeous, different from other games since it fell into it's own genre - more of an experience. But after the wow factor had faded, I was bored. Do I appreciate the work that went into it? Yes. I also appreciate the developers vision to do something different; to tell a story in a way that differs from most games. But was it fun? Not really. The story was mediocre. A game like Firewatch needs an exciting story to give it the "can't put it down" factor.

I'm probably in a minority here. I know critics loved it, but it just did not do much for me. I've played Undertale, Golf Story, Papers Please, Oxenfree, Gorogoa, Brothers,... I'd lump them all into a similar category. After the initial interest of a new mechanic or quirky story, the appeal fades out. I can put hours into aimlessly walking around Skyrim, collecting stars in Super Mario Odyssey, ranking up in Overwatch, but I can't bring myself to spend solid time playing 90% of the indie games I buy.

Saying that, I love that there is an indie market. That people who have an idea can create a game without the backing of a huge publisher or a bottomless pit of money. I'm glad these games exist and that people play them. But generally they do nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Playing Yakuza 0. It's worrying how much I enjoy the violence in it.

It's so brutal and over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Notorious wrote: »
    I'm probably in a minority here. I know critics loved it, but it just did not do much for me. I've played Undertale, Golf Story, Papers Please, Oxenfree, Gorogoa.

The critics loved it because most those critics had an agenda behind hyping walking simulators

Papers Please was actually a game though, and it was a good one. It took me paying money for Gone Home under the belief that it was a game (and a horror one at that) to realise that whole genre was little more than a hustle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Bambi wrote: »
    The critics loved it because most those critics had an agenda behind hyping walking simulators

What was the agenda

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

What was the agenda
    Trying to push games as art?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Notorious wrote: »
    It was a terrible generalisation by me. I think I was trying to convey my dissatisfaction at the explosion of indie games. I've played many and there are few which I consider a worthwhile investment of my time. I think a lot of them try to do something new or different, but so often it becomes more of a novelty than an enjoyable game.

No worries, it's just a pet peeve of mine when they're all dismissed as 2D platformers - happens regularly enough to be a pet peeve! Indie games are hugely diverse and encompass almost every sort of style, genre, approach, length, depth... I really just have never been able to see how any given player couldn't find plenty of indie games to suit their individual taste :)
    Take Firewatch. A game that was visually gorgeous, different from other games since it fell into it's own genre - more of an experience. But after the wow factor had faded, I was bored. Do I appreciate the work that went into it? Yes. I also appreciate the developers vision to do something different; to tell a story in a way that differs from most games. But was it fun? Not really. The story was mediocre. A game like Firewatch needs an exciting story to give it the "can't put it down" factor.

I'm probably in a minority here. I know critics loved it, but it just did not do much for me. I've played Undertale, Golf Story, Papers Please, Oxenfree, Gorogoa, Brothers,... I'd lump them all into a similar category. After the initial interest of a new mechanic or quirky story, the appeal fades out. I can put hours into aimlessly walking around Skyrim, collecting stars in Super Mario Odyssey, ranking up in Overwatch, but I can't bring myself to spend solid time playing 90% of the indie games I buy.

We probably have a fundamental philosophical difference here, and that's good and healthy :) Personally, I find myself very frustrated by how so many games are what I'd describe as 'distraction-ware' - big, long, time-consuming experiences that don't really do a whole lot with the time they demand. Like I'm playing God of War at the moment, and while there's plenty of good stuff in there, I feel it's frustratingly padded out. I can easily get distracted and lose a few hours exploring paths off the main hub... but while I may emerge with new loot, I never feel like the game has properly justified the time with new ideas or concepts. Sometimes, sure, but in GoW relatively rarely - I encountered one spectacular section last night that introduced a significant new mechanic, and was left wondering why I hadn't had more of them in the hours I've had with the game!

This isn't to say I don't like getting lost in a big game too - games such as Zelda BotW, The Witness or Mario Odyssey grabbed me for hours on end, and it felt rewarding. Crucially, I think they offer legitimately new ideas or complications for a long time, whereas lots of games - if not most of them! - are padded out with mindless busywork. Heck, Ubisoft has made its name with time-consuming chunks of mindless busywork! Having fun is welcome, but a game proving moderately entertaining and a decent time waster isn't what sets the heart or brain racing for me. Many of my favourite books and films would not warrant the description 'fun' whatsoever, and I like it when games can rise above that as well.

It's one of the reasons why I particularly appreciate shorter games that communicate what they do without sticking around. To me, a sharp, to-the-point piece of work like Inside is considerably more effective than even some of the better AAA stories (something like The Last of Us) because it barely wastes a moment - and it amazes me that that's such a rare quality. I think Firewatch is pretty good rather than great and hardly the pinnacle of the form (that's Naissance, btw ;)), but again in its extremely focused form I still think it tells its story in a much clearer way than God of War, even when GoW has some very strong moments. Hell, it's why standalone stories in The Witcher 3 are often considerably more memorable than the overarching stuff - they're the good stuff without the fat in between.

I mean, a short game isn't necessarily better than a longer one, and a wide variety of different approaches suit a wide variety of different games. I've played short games that feel frustrating and underrealised; I've played games where I could easily see myself losing hours (if I had the time) due to the brilliance and versatility of the mechanics. But video games waste sh!tloads of our time as a matter of course, and personally I kinda like it when they don't ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

J. Marston wrote: »
    Playing Yakuza 0. It's worrying how much I enjoy the violence in it.

It's so brutal and over the top.

Yupp I love it! Also i love how angrily they say everyone's name KIIRRRYYUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!

giphy-3gif.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

What was the agenda

Oh just the usual It's-time-for-games-to-grow-up agenda meaning its time for games to become more like art house films rather than problematic murder simulators for straight white men. :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Oh just the usual It's-time-for-games-to-grow-up agenda meaning its time for games to become more like art house films rather than problematic murder simulators for straight white men. :o

Perhaps they loved it not because it pushed their agenda, but because they thought that it was really good?

I mean, it is really good, at least in my opinion, and I don't give a ***** if games are art or not. Am I really pushing an agenda just because I like something you don't?

CatInABox wrote: »
    Am I really pushing an agenda just because I like something you don't?

That is basically 90% of gaming-related arguments on some parts of the internet :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Papers Please was actually a game though, and it was a good one. It took me paying money for Gone Home under the belief that it was a game (and a horror one at that) to realise that whole genre was little more than a hustle.

I think they just want to be seen to push games that are "grown up" or something similar.

So if someone makes a game that's "about mental illness" this is seen as taking games away from the "childish" nature of games like Mario Galaxy.

I know way back when I got Mario Galaxy for the Wii my non-gaming housemate was asking "what's it about" and I don't even really know how to answer that.

Like, there's nothing ridiculous about Mario flying around in space because that's just how it is.

It's like the indie scene is the answer to "are video games art" but most of the games are just dry and boring and not even remotely fun to play.

Developers and critics can act like some Twine game is massively important because "it's about mental health" and they kind of look down their noses at gamers who just want to play games for fun.

I think it depends on where you are coming from. My first video games were played either in arcades when we were on holiday or played on Commodore 64.

After that I moved on to consoles and I was probably only getting 4 or 5 games a year, at birthdays and xmas or if I managed to save up pocket money.

From that mindset I can totally appreciate Ubisofts open world games because you can get that one game and it lasts you for hundreds of hours.

Some people though just want the story. I think Hellblade, for example has horrendously boring and clunky puzzles and seriously underdeveloped combat and it has an OK story. It has that "this is about mental illness" tag on it though so people are falling over themselves to praise it.

A lot of times when I read comments on this I feel like people are talking about "story" when they talk about how games should grow up or be art or whatever.

The Last of Us is a story with some video game elements. Mario Galaxy is like almost no story and all game. Some of the most lauded indie projects are basically just a story where you click here and there to progress.

The criticisms of Far Cry 5 do a good job of illustrating that divide. To some, like me, it's a solid 100+ hours of fun stuff you can do. The mechanics are solid and the gameplay is varied and fun. To others, it's a terrible story because it doesn't focus on the problem of guns and drugs in America.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

What agenda did these critics have for hyping 'walking simulators'? I loved Firewatch when i played it a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Kiith wrote: »
    What agenda did these critics have for hyping 'walking simulators'? I loved Firewatch when i played it a few months ago.

Make them look good to their peers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Or maybe they liked the games and found something refreshing in them compared to the usual fare they'd normally be expected to review. I didn't like Gone Home, to me it didn't add up to enough to make it a worthwhile experience but I really enjoyed Firewatch and I absolutely adored Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. That's not to say that I could spend the rest of my days playing walking simulators but I do like to mix up what I'm playing in terms of trying out different genres.

If I was to play the same type of game over and over, I'd be unbelievably bored and I can't think of any game that would make me want to pump a hundred hours into finding all the collectibles on a map - I know it appeals to completionist in people but I'd rather watch paint dry than engage in that type of repetitive gameplay.

I like games that do something smart with their gameplay or with their story but I also like games that let me switch my brain off and just pound away at them. There's plenty of room for both types of game and if there's a game that has a lesbian character or a black protagonist, I'm not going to feel victimised by game developers for that choice because I'm a straight, white male. I can understand why unusual games might hold more appeal to a game reviewer because it's more likely to stand out against the backdrop of the usual fetch-quest, open-world blockbuster games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

So how does that explain the 28,809 positive reviews out of 33,980 total for the game on Steam?

Is it not more plausible that maybe a lot of people actually like the game whereas another bunch of people just don't like it or that type of game in general?

Advertisement