Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Luna84

• Registered Users Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I just had a quick look and there's thousands of posts from people wishing they could play Days Gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭MikeRyan87

Not the best showing from Avowed.

Combat looks a bit whatever. Maybe Ghostwire Toyko's fast paced magic combat has me ruined.

Just looked slow and clunky but time to clear it up.

World looks great.

Hope Hellblade II turns out great but I have a strange feeling there's something wrong with it. Would've been a good place to show 10 mins uninterrupted gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Playstation gamers are too busy actually playing games... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

I like the look of the Indie game. I like that it looks a bit dated and hopefully the gameplay too has a dated feel, back to days gone (sorry!) when games were games and not interactive cinematic cut scenes. If it turns out to be Wolfenstein but with Indiana Jones then we're in for a belter of a game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thought you all finished Spiderman 2 by now? 😜

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just had a thought there. Out there is the next future Maverick or Iceman and they could be out there having their mind poisoned by Days Gone and becoming the next Goose or Boozer instead of training on Ace Combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I got Days Gone, and sold my PS5 afterwards, 😁😁😁 but I still have the game.. some other time.

The new Indiana Jones game looks good. Visions of Mana looks good. XBox need more fun, colourful games like the those.

Hellblade 2 looks completely dark, violet and nightmarish in comparison. I know that's the intention, but it's not going to sell XBoxes.

Avowed reminded me of that recent Harry Potter game. And the American accents never fit with the fantasy, other world setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭recyclops

I'd be saying if anyone appreciates video games as an artform and desires the narrative story driven releases then Senua is a must play.

The original game with a headset really was quite the experience, whilst not for everyone as it's not really a game I'd be saying if you have the platform to play it you should give it a bash.

Sometimes after a bash of Dave the diver or Mario Wonder ya need to dive into something darker.

Feel like Mrs Doyle

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Senua 1 is, above all, a good example of trying to tackle difficult themes through form: the visual and especially audio design are built towards exploring mental illness in a really powerful, intimate way. The game around it is pretty good if not necessarily anything special, but really it was a sensory experience above all.

I’m curious to see the sequel, but with the caveat that it’s one game that did stand perfectly fine alone and didn’t immediately demand a follow up. I’m encouraged at least that Ninja Theory seem committed to creating a game of a similar length, rather than taking the more predictable route of making a bigger, longer game. While the gameplay and narrative of Senua’s Sacrifice were a bit stretched even at 7-9 hours, it is at least a much more sensible running time for a game of its ilk.

• Advertisement

I really should try Senua, I was kind of put off by people saying it dealt with mental health in a sensitive way when this was the studio that said their Dante was better because he wasn't as gay as Capcom Dante. I should try it before the sequel comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I should go back to it too!

I played a little bit of it for a game pass quest or something in the past, and it was intriguing and kinda put me on edge too much, because of a lie the game tells you!

It was ultimately that lie that caused me to stop playing, but I think I'll re-visit now :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Playing the new PoP game and maybe it's cos the trilogy of games came out on the Switch but I'm reminded of Arkham Asylum here: where sure, the PoP combat mightn't be especially deep, but the fluidity of the animation and controls means I feel like a badass as I bounce about; similar to Asylum where it had that same structure of chained animations helping a sense of empowerment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

The permadeath lie? That was just a clever cool trick if you ask me...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

You do realise that Xbox are not trying to just sell Xboxes but get people on Game Pass on any platform of choosing, console, PC, TV or mobile and this and other games scheduled for release this year are definitely going to sell Xbox Game Pass Subs.

Hellblade will be a big contributer to that as the first was a unique game and this looks to expand on that with much higher end graphics.

Yep, I've never played a permadeath mode in any game ever!

It's not something that I'm interested in, in the slightest.

And once I thought that could happen, I was out!

I'm sure i'm in the minority, cos people must love these modes, but not when it's part of the main game for me.

It even stops me playing metroidvania's to an extent, unless something else in the loop grabs me.

I won't play Deathloop either, cos it's built into the mechanic! :D

Struggled to get through 12 minutes also, and not just the bad acting haha

The death in Deathloop is not permadeath, and you need to die 3 times to reset the loop, and sometimes you actually need to reset the loop. And IIRC the death counter resets when you move to another area. Souls-like have a more punishing death mechanics than Deathloop, and even the death in the much more punishing Returnal is not proper permadeath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭recyclops

For those all jumping back into Hellblade and rightfully so make sure that you play with headphones on as advised by the developers

• Registered Users Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I was a bit disappointed initially as I thought there might be a few different weapons you could use to try change your combat style a little, but the more I play the more I like the simplicity of just focusing on one fluid combat system which certainly lets you experiment with amulets and additional powers to use, but at its core you still just have that base combat system which feels great.

I still stand by my gripe though that there should have been more fast travel points. The game can force you into having to loop around a huge section of the map to get to one, or having to go to a different one than the one you came in, just because you got a new ability and wanted to check out that previously locked room/puzzle.

The Memory system is great though, where you can pin a screenshot onto the map rather than just an icon or symbol. It means you can easily check from the map why that path was blocked off so you know if you have a new ability you can now go back there to access it. Really works great and should be something others consider doing. I played a bit of Hollow Knight years ago, and I think part of the reason I ended up giving it up was just because, as beautiful as the art style was, every screen felt like it looked the same and I was always completely blind to where I was, where I'd been, where I needed to go etc. I might try it again on Steamdeck or something, but most of PoP's map design is excellent and very intuitive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I played a bit of Hollow Knight years ago, and I think part of the reason I ended up giving it up was just because, as beautiful as the art style was, every screen felt like it looked the same and I was always completely blind to where I was, where I'd been, where I needed to go etc.

Hollow Knight was a fabulous game and a real top-tier for the indie scene's fundamental greatness ... but it was also a game so drowning in its own structural minimalism & bullshít it definitely required a conscious effort to work past it all. How far did you get though, cos the game's levels definiteyl started to mix it up after a while - but again that was part of the problem, it really failed with that tease you get with Metroidvanias, of other horizons...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Just checked my PSN trophies and I played it in Feb 2021. Newest trophy I got was for defeating the False Knight, so if memory serves me right, I beat that boss (who I assume is the boss for the first main area), then wandered around for ages not being able to figure out where to go and just gave up. Every screen just felt like a different amount of black, grey and white and I felt like I was going around in circles and hitting dead ends and annoying enemies everywhere.

I should definitely give it another go as I do know how highly rated and received it was, and I'd love to be on board for Silksong. I think it was probably just a case that at the time the game wasn't clicking with me enough to power through or even just google where the f*ck am I meant to go.

I love Hollow Knight but I'm not with the people holding it up as one of the all time great metroidvanias. It has a lot of problems, mostly the lack of teleport points and it's just way too big. The second half of the game has you pinballing to opposite ends of the map and not really uncovering more of the map or getting interesting abilities.

I'm mad to like it, but too afraid to try it in case my brain says no!

Ah feck it, I'll try it over the weekend :P

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

PoP for PC, Xbox or Switch? It looks like a good Switch game to me, but maybe would also be class on a big screen 4K60fps on Xbox? What do those who have played it think?

Edit: Went with the Switch version. Looks made for it. Unfortunately its a gift and not for me 😑 But hopefully I'll get a go on it.

Post edited by PixelPlayer on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I've tried the demo on Switch. Will try demo at 120 FPS and 4K on the Xbox Series X (which is currently packed away) at some stage and then decide. But probably will go with Switch cause it's portable and comes on a cartridge, 60/1080p is fine, I prefer the Switch pro controller.

It's a good game, if not a bit overrated by reviewers for whatever reasons. It's not Arkane's best, but not the worst either. Nice 60s atmosphere - reminds me a bit of NOLF.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Had plenty of issues with Deathloop and thought it was a substantially less satisfying game than the Dishonoureds overall. Also a bit of a mixed bag with the time loop stuff compared to some other games that have tackled the same kind of mechanics. But still a plenty enjoyable, often clever game and nowhere near the Arkane nadir that would follow with Redfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Anyone play the new Prince of Persia game? Thoughts on it?

Was reading some reports that the ‘Pokémon with guns’ game Palworld was surprisingly polished and fun, with hundreds of thousands of people already playing on Steam. Given Pokémon itself is floundering recently, there’s certainly room for a dev to come in and make a better, more forward-thinking version. Could this be it, despite the odd premise?

Then I read the cursed words: it’s actually a ‘crafting and survival game’. Instantly explains the Steam popularity and deflates any curiosity I had in the thing.

• Advertisement

It's excellent. A smooth as butter Metroidvania that plays all the hits, with some smart quality of life additions.

Advertisement