Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Regency bias is definitely a thing, plenty of games suffer from it. Lots of games being held up as classics now that we're very much always regarded as mid or on re-evaluation aren't all that good. I do feel with some old games though people sometimes need to approach them on their own terms rather than what is expected from modern games. Like someone proclaiming that Megaman 2 is garbage because they started the game up and got absolutely bodied by the game on their first go.

I'm still baffled by the super Metroid slander, so much so that I think I'm going to give the Days Gone bashing a break because this is so much worse.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Indeed. Playing through Goldeneye now is pretty rough, but good god did that game change the industry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Regency Bias?

Is that just someone who plays a bit too much Crusader Kings? (lookst at @ancapailldorcha )

And I'm not bashing Super Metroid, or at least "pile of crap" was possibly a bit hyperbolic and definitely retract that wording.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,403 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I remember having just mastered the basics of Crusader Kings II when Paradox announced Crusader Kings III. I still feel a bit salty about it but I don't really play either so much any more. Other titles sort of shoved it aside. CK2 is dead and CK3 was a bit boring as Paradox titles launch with very little flavour for each country or ruler the player chooses.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

For all the fair criticism of how modern game design trends have removed a lot of the interesting friction and challenge from games (mainly in the AAA space), it’s impossible to deny other aspects of modernisation - such as near universal control language and a vast suite of quality of life improvements - are generally a very positive thing. I think that’s why going back to many old games can be so jarring - you often have to relearn the fundamentals and endure rougher edges before even getting to grips with the thing as a piece of art or design.

While there are some limitations for anyone diving into older film (such as different visual language and more exaggerated acting styles), it’s nowhere near the learning or readjustment curve faced when going back to classic games. And no medium ages faster than gaming - the dawn of 3D graphics in particular led to a lot of stuff that has aged like unrefrigerated milk, even when doing very interesting things with the new form.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think on goldeneye's case it's more how it aged and feels dated than it not being good at release. Its more games like earthworm Jim that looked amazing but in retrospect are a bit mediocre. Or say legend of dragoon being held up as a classic jrpg when it got hammered in reviews and regarded as being a genre low point for the longest time.

There's a lot of I grew up with this game and it's awesome and I won't listen to any criticism of it.

Being hardcore enough to enjoy contra is like being racist enough to enjoy birth of a nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭McFly85

There’s definitely games I still enjoy but would find it hard to recommend to others who never played them - like the recently re-released Golden Sun games.

I love them, they’re comfort games for me, I play through them regularly enough, but I can’t imagine many people would get as much out of them today considering the relatively simple presentation and gameplay(also the intro is interminably long and really tested my patience in my latest playthrough).

The music is still amazing though.

Yep I liked Golden Sun at the time but looking back at it it was the first new rpg for the GBA when the system was in need of RPGs and it looked gorgeous. Now I recognise it as a stealth sequel to PS1 garbage rpg Beyond the Beyond and while it's not as bad it's still very bland and crummy.

Motoi Sakuraba didn't hold back composing that soundtrack though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭McFly85

One of Camelots other GBA games, Mario Golf Advance tour, is, however, a stone cold classic that’s just as good today as it was when it was released, one of the best golf games ever.

Ive bought all of the follow up Mario golf games and none of them hold a candle to it.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's brilliant. Their GBC game was excellent as well. They also did some great tennis games and it was them that worked on the first few everybody's golf games for Sony.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Have noticed an awful lot of Suicide Squad posters around Dublin City, mainly buses and bus stops. Have definitely seen games advertised on buses before, but seems to be lots of these ones - doesn’t exactly shout confidence in the game’s organic word of mouth 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Also tagged with a "from the creators of the Batman Arkman series," as if at pains to get across "unlike that Gotham Knights nonsense."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,559 ✭✭✭✭Penn

God imagine if it ends up doing worse than Gotham Knights....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And I see they're already advertising post launch DLC too; honestly can't see how this game isn't gonna immediately crater upon release.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The absolute state of their Joker, makes Leto look like Nicholson.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭MikeRyan87

I'd say WB would be very happy if SS KTJL did equal or better sales as Gotham Knights.

Couldn't get passed the first hour of GK. Will give SS when it goes half price or less probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,559 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Tekken 8 & Like A Dyson: Infinite Wealth (as it should henceforth be known) both coming out with mostly great reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Ah yes, two games I'm interested in and all the discourse about them is being swallowed up by insane Palworld drama.

• Advertisement

I’m happy for Tekken fans, but fighting games are one of a few genres I’m like ‘yeah this isn’t for me’. I’ll happily let better fighting game players than I (I am terrible at them) enjoy their time with it while I look on with respect for their skills :)

Infinite Wealth, on the other hand, can’t arrive in my letterbox soon enough.

I picked up this recently:

It will be the first time I play a Company of Heroes game.

Oh man I put so many hours into the original's multiplayer back in the day; such a fabulous game/series

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Never heard of it. But it's got SEGA on there and it's a physical copy.

Just ordered a second hand physical copy of DOOM 2016. Played the demo last night and it was way better than DOOM Eternal which was too fiddly. I really don't like FPS, but DOOM just feels right, without all the pretend "story" stuff other FPSs throw on top. And 6 quid, what's not to like. 😁

I see the Dead Space remake is about 20 quid on Amazon. I know that game would scare the **** out of me. But 20 quid is a bargain.

Never knew the series was on console but it's quite popular on PC. It's made by the developer that made the PC classic Homeworld.

Dead Space is on Game Pass Ultimate if you have it. I downloaded it a few months ago but haven't got the guts to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Doom 2016 was great fun. I also liked Doom 3 which is usually knocking around for peanuts.

It's not quite a modern shooter, it's not quite old school... but you get a good game. No slice of cantaloupe at the end though.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Luna84

I would play the Dead Space remaster but I already played the original twice on PC and then on Xbox. It's actually not scary.

Regarding Doom 2016 that is a brilliant game. Doom Eternal is fiddily as someone put it. Does not flow enough like 2016. I never actually finished Eternal. I got fed up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I'm GamePass free now. But I'd imagine this is why it's cheaper on Xbox right now. EA seem to put a lot of their stuff on GamePass "permanently".

• Advertisement

One of the best things about Doom 2016 is it sorta helped kick off a revitalised genre of ultra fast, movement based FPS games. Feels like Ghostrunner, Neon White, Boomerang X etc… are all part of that push towards super fast first person combat (Neon White particularly being a masterpiece of the form). Between that and the similar though slightly more specific boomer shooter craze, it’s been a good time for the FPS genre. And they’re all games that really sing with mouse and keyboard :)

Advertisement