Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Happy birthday to the Gameboy. 35 today. Fantastic console. I still have one boxed up in the display case in my office. Take it out occasionally to relive my youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭jj880

35! Wow! Links Awakening was such a masterpiece on Gameboy. Would disappear into it for weeks at a time. No internet (not really) no social media. Even when not playing it I'd be thinking about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Being a handheld console it's badly overlooked but it's had an incredible library and the system just worked so well as a portable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Eiyuden Chronicles getting some good reviews but from people I'd trust on twitter they're pretty disappointed with it. At least suikoden 1 and 2 remaster isn't too far off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Jason Schreier would be a Suikoden super fan and he thinks it’s a “messy, disjointed game”. Apparently the PC version is a bit of a disaster as well with the encounter rate broken as it’s tied to refresh rate.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EiyudenChronicle/comments/1c90y57/psa_more_detail_and_workaround_for_the_low/

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The Links Awakening remake was my favourite game on Switch. I wish they'd done similar for all the other Gameboy Zeldas.

Had you played the original?

Think Im gona leave it in my memory from the original in 94/95.

I went through the original last year. It holds up, in fact without the loading and wonky framerate I have to say it's a far better game than the switch remake. It's one of the all time greats and a contender for best Zelda

• Advertisement

There are certain games so good with a place in my childhood memories that I just can't bring myself to play remakes. The arcade versions of Wonder Boy and Double Dragon are in there.

The remake of Links Awakening is really lovely aesthetically though. The tilt shift thing is just so easy on the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I always wanted a Gameboy, but for Santy one year I had to choose between getting a MegaDrive or a Gameboy, so I wrote on my list that I wanted a MegaDrive.

That Xmas morning, I got the MegaDrive, and as I was looking at everything else I got, I notice under a few other things…. a Gameboy…..

…..pencil case. A Gameboy pencil case.

So yeah, I never had a Gameboy. Still though, what a legacy that thing has left behind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Played through Botany Manor over the weekend. Very much in the lineage of the ‘information’ puzzle game - all the info is in the world, you just need to fit the pieces together. It’s a lot less challenging than an Obra Dinn or Chants of Sennaar though, instead more like a leisurely stroll that’ll lightly tickle your puzzle-solving dopamine receptors. You’ll put the pieces together, execute the plan, and a plant will grow instantaneously in front of you, occasionally interacting with the environment in the process. It’s nicely presented and always nice to see the plant come to fruition (literally).

It’s a very pleasant time, one you’ll easily clear in three hours or so (quicker if you just mainline the puzzles). The story is straightforward walking-sim style narrative the unfolds in letters and notes and environmental detail. Though I’m not entirely convinced the tone of writing matches the late 19th century setting…

That said, I probably would’ve liked it to be somewhat more puzzling at times. There’s only one or two real ‘aha’ moments as the information is very readily available and usually pretty unambiguous. I’m playing the - much, much bigger - Talos Principle 2 as well so maybe that’s just left me in the mood for more involved, tricky puzzles. Even the later puzzles here boil down to just making sure the right set of clues is assigned to the right plant name. But yeah it also lacks the ingenious pace of information doled out in the best examples of the ‘information puzzle’ genre. Still, as a relaxing three hour stroll through a handsomely rendered manor and garden, it’s a perfectly pleasant way to spend an evening or two.

Original Game Boy was a little bit before my time, Game Boy Color was the big one for me. I had the luminous green version.

I never played Zelda when I was younger though, it was all about Pokemon for me. Pokemon Red and then Yellow, I must have just played those games on loops over and over and over and over again.

I believe you. Sold my Switch before Christmas. Completed BOTW, BOTW Expansion + TOTK. Amazing games. Feeling like a collector more than a player recently. Have tons of PCVR and PS games to get through before new Switch launch. Hopefully a new Zelda not too far away after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jedi Survivor coming to EA Play this week.

Post edited by Zero-Cool on

So much good stuff on the Gameboy. Pokemon I felt was actually quite a basic game on the Gameboy, plenty more felt a lot more advanced and solidly programmed. Some good stuff on GBC as well even though there is a lot of licensed ****. Metal Gear Solid on the GBC is a secret best Metal gear game and I love the oracle Zelda games.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Luna84

My cousin had a gameboy. I played a bit of Tetris. My brother had a GBC a few years later and a few of the pokemon games. Never played them myself felt I was too old. Mind you I actually played with his Gamecube more than he did. It was our only console back then. I did play with friends consoles the odd time. NES, SNES, Sega, N64 and a console I forget the name of where the games were on tapes. Paperboy was one game on that console.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Been looking forward to this. Gotta get something out of GP sub. Also went back to Hollow Knight having never finishing it. I'm hoping to push through it this time.

Also still enjoying Breathedge, but my back is killing me from sitting in the same chair all day. WFH all day and gaming in evening is challenging.. I've had to blow the cob webs off the xbox for some comfortable couch gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

saFolks I'm not sure if this has been talked about here but I thought it's worth sharing

Basically, it's a series of petitions and legal actions to try and get government regulators to look at the shady practices of games being rendered unplayable when the company shuts down the servers

The main action is in France regarding the upcoming shutdown of The Crew, the idea being that Unisoft is a French company and France has pretty strict consumer protection laws so might be more likely to take action

But the eventual hope is that regulators take action and force games companies to stop this behaviour of portraying a game as permanent purchases when they're really just at the whims of the publisher

For us in Ireland there probably isn't much we can do, but perhaps referring the case to your local TDs and MEPs would be worthwhile with the request that government and EU authorities look into the problem

Yeah, I'm not particularly optimistic either, they have bigger problems to deal with after all. But I think asking them to refer the problem to the relevant authorities is more likely to pass since it's basically just asking someone to send an email on your behalf. And perhaps if a bunch of people yell the same thing then it'll carry some weight, particularly with elections coming

https://www.stopkillinggames.com/

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Also, sorry for the weird flow of posting the link at the end, the latest update to boards seems to hate links in the middle of a post

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Also out today if you liked prince of Persia. Tales of Kenzera from Sugent Studios through the EA Originals program.

Free on Playstation plus premium and EA Play Pro too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I've bought Fallout 4 again. Roll on the new update. I'll try it again. The only wrong thing about the TV series is that the dog wasn't a German Shepherd.

Contrary to current market trends, the Fallout TV show hasn’t suddenly made Fallout 4 or Fallout 76 any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Luna84

I enjoyed Fallout 4 when I played it at release in what ever year it was. Never played 76 since it was online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

The show made me go back and play them again and it reminded me how much I enjoyed Fallout 4 and pushed me to give 76 a go and also enjoyed what I played of that.

Looking forward to the update this week to Fallout 4. Will definitely give that another run through if the update is decent

Kind of a shame the tv show is causing a resurgence in popularity for Fallout 4 and not new Vegas. Everyone nerd is pulling their hair out recommending fallout New vegas and then getting told that it looks old.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Well, the games are on sale for buttons at the moment, so that helps with the popularity.

It's a wonder they don't have Fallout 3 ready to go on Switch and even PS 4/5 and remakes of 1 and 2. I betcha they will in time for Season 2 of the TV series.

Tim Cain, the creator of 1, has some interesting game dev videos on YouTube.

I also came across this funny rapid fire questions interview ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I downloaded Fallout 4 on PS5 after finishing the show (turned out I already owned it, I'm guessing through the PS+ Collection from the start of the PS5 as I'm sure I never actually bought it).

But.... decided to buy New Vegas on Steam so have it on Steamdeck now. Played maybe an hour or so, will do a bit more shortly. I don't mind it looking old, but it does also feel old which is worse. But from what I read it's far more RPG-y compared to Fallout 4 being more FPS-y (and doing a lot more settlement stuff), so will keep going with NV.

Advertisement