Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

nix wrote: »
    TitianGerm wrote: »
    There's a good story in the background of BB. It's not hard or frustrating... I think you need to Git Gud Scrub ;)

I know the story inside out, i love it, but you need to dig deep to get it (or watch a break down on youtube). I took from his post that he's wanting a fluid story ala uncharted, last of us etc

And eh, compared to most other games, Bloodborne is hard. Me however, love the challenge..... scrub ;)
    I've played the Souls games multiples times and still have just a small idea of the story. I need to watch vaatividya vids to know the deeper meanings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I've played the Souls games multiples times and still have just a small idea of the story. I need to watch vaatividya vids to know the deeper meanings.

Yeah there are loads of videos out there but i also find VaatiVidya to be the best, he does a cool one on a joint timeline of the soulsborne games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

To be honest as someone who also likes story-driven games a lot like the guy with the PS4, that is a major turn off for me and would almost rule me out of playing the game at all! :o

Planning on getting a second hand PS4 short term, later in the year with the following:
    - TLOU & TLOU2 (when out)
    - Red Dead Redemption 2
    - Uncharted 4
    - God of War
    - Horizon Zero Dawn
    - The Last Guardian
    - Shadow of the Colossus remake/remaster/whatever
    - Yakuza 0 + 6
    - Maybe Persona 5 (doubt I'll be interested but it could be worth a whirl)
    - A Madden NFL game (the one sports game I like, and it's about the only sports game they don't make on PC!)

As someone who really likes story-driven, open world games with the scope to explore and go at your own pace, seeing Sony absolutely curb-stomp the PC/Xbox competition in the last two years or so has frankly been painful. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd say the PS4 is hardly curb stomping the PC. In fact with the ease if development the PC hasn't been this strong since the 90s. PS4 for me is the most disappointing of Sony's consoles for me. There's good exclusives but they've been thin on the ground compared to the other systems. However I think Sony is going to have a good E3 with it really picking up this year. The PC though has a lot more exclusives that are a lot more diverse even if they can't match triple A budget like the Sony exclusives. I'd rather that though but it's personal taste.

As for curb stomping the xbox.... fair enough there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Yakuza series is damn nice (probably the best thing on PS imo) but to say PS4 has a bigger selection of quality story driven titles (or any genre) than PC is pretty wrong. I suppose it comes down to taste but you'd have to ignore all of the non-AAA titles released on PC and things like VNs & KNs. Most of what I see on sony hardware is sluggish 3rd person action with pretentious plots about "muh daughter" or something that not a soul would be praising for the writing if it wasn't for the shiny graphics and casual-friendly gameplay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    The Last Of Us and Uncharted.

The Last of Us - abolutely.
    Uncharted - not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Uncharted 2 was fantastic when it came out, although TLOU is better

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I picked up Last of Us Remastered in CEX there earlier, will give it a whirl next.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

awec wrote: »
    I picked up Last of Us Remastered in CEX there earlier, will give it a whirl next.

:cool:

Another PS4 exclusive worth getting is Ratchet & Clank.

Billy86 wrote: »

As someone who really likes story-driven, open world games with the scope to explore and go at your own pace, seeing Sony absolutely curb-stomp the PC/Xbox competition in the last two years or so has frankly been painful. :o

This is the most ridiculous statement I've seen on here in a while.
    Except for a few exclusives....the PCs back catalogue, prices, modability, higher end graphics and ability to use emulators, not to mention that it can play all it's old games (no backwards compatability for PS4)..... mean it will always compete and these days...better the consoles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

A Hitman sequel, or possibly season 2 for the last game, will likely be announced in the next few days (source). Huzzah!

Why do all these announcements come just before E3 ?

Are they trying to get as many headlines etc as possible in case they get buried in the hype of other games at E3 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

A Hitman sequel, or possibly season 2 for the last game, will likely be announced in the next few days (source). Huzzah!

Yupp, apparently a 72 hour loop video showing a NASCAR pit crew fixing a car counting down to a new game release 'accidentally' showed the hitman 2 logo. The big question is whether it will be episodic again or 1 big release. I know people hated the episodic format idea (including myself) but once I played it, I realised it actually works great for this series. On a full release, once I finished a level, I'd just move onto the next. With the episodic release, I replayed each mission multiple times and got great value out of it.

Hoping it's episodic again and will be jumping in from day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Planning on getting a second hand PS4 short term, later in the year with the following:
    - TLOU & TLOU2 (when out)
    - Red Dead Redemption 2
    - Uncharted 4
    - God of War
    - Horizon Zero Dawn
    - The Last Guardian
    - Shadow of the Colossus remake/remaster/whatever
    - Yakuza 0 + 6
    - Maybe Persona 5 (doubt I'll be interested but it could be worth a whirl)
    - A Madden NFL game (the one sports game I like, and it's about the only sports game they don't make on PC!)

Same here, going to get a ps4 / xbox 1 (probably next year) just for a madden game. 2018 Madden is supposed to be really good with a single player story mode tacked in.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Yupp, apparently a 72 hour loop video showing a NASCAR pit crew fixing a car counting down to a new game release 'accidentally' showed the hitman 2 logo. The big question is whether it will be episodic again or 1 big release. I know people hated the episodic format idea (including myself) but once I played it, I realised it actually works great for this series. On a full release, once I finished a level, I'd just move onto the next. With the episodic release, I replayed each mission multiple times and got great value out of it.

Hoping it's episodic again and will be jumping in from day one.

Yeah I ate my hat on the episodic format, really did work.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Why do all these announcements come just before E3 ?

Are they trying to get as many headlines etc as possible in case they get buried in the hype of other games at E3 ?

Pretty much. As a marketing tool, E3 is actually pretty terrible, with the biggest AAA games stealing most of the limelight, and unless you can catch the medias attention then your game can easily get lost in a round-up article.

It also a more effective communication tool to announce before hand as well. Plenty of studys have shown that humans remember things better when presented in a certain way. Look at any decent news program, and they'll run though the headlines at the start, have the meat of the news in the middle, and then have a summary of the news at the end. It's roughly the same thing here, look at the Fallout 76 announcement, next will be the reveal at the conference itself, and then a few days after E3, some website will have more exclusive info. Some companies are very good at doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Except for a few exclusives....the PCs back catalogue, prices, modability, higher end graphics and ability to use emulators, not to mention that it can play all it's old games (no backwards compatability for PS4)..... mean it will always compete and these days...better the consoles.

With respect Sean, you can't take part of a sentence out of context, then call it a ridiculous statement. Billy86 was quite clearly referring to "story-driven, open world games with the scope to explore and go at your own pace" when he made that statement, and I'd find it hard to disagree with him in that regard, as I do think that's one area where PS4 does indeed have the advantage. The big-budget AAA story-driven games.

You can't say "Except for a few exclusives..." when that's exactly what his statement was predicated on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I agree on the better graphics, mods, prices etc, and generally I'm much happier to have a PC than a PS4 (esp as I've a HTPC setup with Kodi, it and the projector have literally replaced my entire TV setup over the last year to the point I've turned the TV on all of 2-3 times for rugby games I couldn't find online). The PS4 I would either be buying and reselling after playing the games (won't be hard with the games I'm planning to pick up I would imagine) or giving to a friend as a gift. If for example Rockstar brought out a shock announcement that RDR2 would be out on PC within six months or release, I wouldn't even consider it for the PS4 (and if I weren't getting one I would be happy to wait the 18-odd months also).

But as Penn pointed out, I was referring to the area of "story-driven, open world games with the scope to explore and go at your own pace" and in that area (which along with some strategy games like XCom or Civ are far and away my favourite type of game by a distance) it's not even been approaching anything close over the last little while when it comes to PS4 and PC/XBox (esp since any time I've tried Far Cry or A. Creed they just feel so manufactured and by-the-numbers that they leave me cold. By comparison, Witcher 3, GTAV, Zelda BOTW or even MSGV all of which have so much loving attention to detail put into them).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I agree on the better graphics, mods, prices etc, and generally I'm much happier to have a PC than a PS4 (esp as I've a HTPC setup with Kodi, it and the projector have literally replaced my entire TV setup over the last year to the point I've turned the TV on all of 2-3 times for rugby games I couldn't find online). The PS4 I would either be buying and reselling after playing the games (won't be hard with the games I'm planning to pick up I would imagine) or giving to a friend as a gift. If for example Rockstar brought out a shock announcement that RDR2 would be out on PC within six months or release, I wouldn't even consider it for the PS4 (and if I weren't getting one I would be happy to wait the 18-odd months also).

But as Penn pointed out, I was referring to the area of "story-driven, open world games with the scope to explore and go at your own pace" and in that area (which along with some strategy games like XCom or Civ are far and away my favourite type of game by a distance) it's not even been approaching anything close over the last little while when it comes to PS4 and PC/XBox (esp since any time I've tried Far Cry or A. Creed they just feel so manufactured and by-the-numbers that they leave me cold. By comparison, Witcher 3, GTAV, Zelda BOTW or even MSGV all of which have so much loving attention to detail put into them).

Nothing wrong with your original statement. Id agree as well.

Seems some who thought they are above platform wars arent really if such a small thing set them off:P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I haven't been a PC gamer since the 90s and don't think I've missed too much in my console/handheld only focus.
    While many system exclusives, in time, made their way to the PC most spent their formative years on console, from Sega to Sony, and these were often the games that defined those hosting consoles, from Super Monkey Ball to The Last of Us, from Bloodborne to BotW.

Current consoles then present a very cheap way into gaming, with current titles appearing albeit at higher prices than a PC owner might tolerate.

So, there's room for all camps, surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Yeah I ate my hat on the episodic format, really did work.

The episodic format was done for financial reasons, not some new way they wanted to present the game. It was actually just meant to be a 2-parter. Superbunnyhop did a great video showing how these kinds of formats actually punish the most loyal customers by giving them the worst deal.

I'm the kind who waited for the 'Complete' edition to go on sale. There's stuff that wasn't included in the 'complete' edition and I think they had an 'ultimate' and now a GOTY edition. :rolleyes:

The client is riddled with some of the most asinine online restrictions and DRM. So yeah if they have anything to announce I'm hoping it'll be a whole bunch of new missions and maybe a 2 year-late addition of the sniper suitcase they always teased and perhaps even the re-addition of human shields that they removed because of bloody walmart. Safe to say I won't be investing another cent in the game until they do a 180 on the DRM and prioritise hitman fans.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    While many system exclusives, in time, made their way to the PC most spent their formative years on console
    You mean when they were new? I personally don't really notice what 'formative' years means for something that isn't a competitive multiplayer game. If it's a single player or asynchronous multiplayer then it's the same game now as it was when it came out. I guess I'm not really one to be buying games just because they're new... I buy and play games from decades apart.
    Current consoles then present a very cheap way into gaming
    8th console business model is actually more expensive over time than 7th gen or PC. Now we have the whole remaster phenomena, where you're just charged again to play the same games. The PC versions are often sufficient enough in comparison to the new one (Bioshock) or even better (Batman Arkham) or they even get the updated versions gratis or with discounts for owning the original (Pathologic).

Oh wow, Sony being Sony and censoring an Xbox joypad in a Destiny 2 clip?

Here's Sony's clip (skip to 2:40 mark):
    And here's Destiny's own uncensored one (again, skip to 2:40 mark):
    I call shenanigans!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Why bother? With the effort used blurring it, couldn't they have just cut that one second clip instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Murseyless

Thought for a second this was some Xbot fanboyism agenda, carefully edited.

Why do Sony do this to themselves. 😓

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think the real question is why does anyone care?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Oh wow, Sony being Sony and censoring an Xbox joypad in a Destiny 2 clip?

Here's Sony's clip (skip to 2:40 mark):
    And here's Destiny's own uncensored one (again, skip to 2:40 mark):
    I call shenanigans!

That's shocking

Didn't they try the same thing with anthem

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I think it's very obvious why people care

Am I looking at footage from the one x or the pro... Can be a major selling point if game runs smoothly on one or the other platform

That's shocking
    Wouldn't go quite that far; almost par for the course for Sony ("Other Console" and all that).
    Didn't they try the same thing with anthem

It wasn't exactly the same thing. They took Xbox One footage and overlayed the PS4 controller icons on top of the Xbox One controller icons. And that was actually shocking. To be fair though, it's likely that footage was video provided to Sony by EA, but who knows.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

"General gaming discussion".
    Discussions related to gaming, of a completely general nature. You should know, you created this thread. :confused:

Besides, if you don't care, just skip it. There's a good lad.

• Advertisement

I can totally understand why they'd do it, you dont want to be advertising your main competitor on your account.
    The lazy way they've done it though is going to make them look quite silly

Advertisement