Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I'm not sure I agree that their being desperate to break into live service games has as much influence on their decision making. Hifi Rush isn't live service. Nor is Doom, but the new one is purportedly going multiplat day and date. The former was a small title with allegedly low sales expectations attached, the latter a big AAA franchise. There just doesn't seem to be a consistency in their decision making. Hence why debate on whether game X should be made available on other platforms or not seems inevitable.

Now obviously there doesn't need to be a discernible strategy at all - they can literally judge each game on a case by case basis. That's grand. It's just that from the outside, that doesn't look like the machinations of a company that know what they're doing (imo, and granted the closing of studios also feeds into that perception).

I'm not a fan of reviews that boil a game down to a score out of ten, or whatever. But yeah, XB sure could use a few "9"s.

I don't think that strategy will necessarily work for PS either btw. Herman underestimates how patient (and stubborn) PC gamers are - I mean, they'll often wait literally years for a game to be released on Steam when it's already available to purchase on EGS! Besides, that revelation about wanting to lure PC gamers over to PS5 for sequels came during a corporate segment meeting, so I'm not sure how much faith I'd put in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I never played a Project Gotham Racing game before. I wonder would Microsoft start publishing the series again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I think that their decision making was predicated on an industry that looked very different to the one that we have today. Their plans did make some amount of sense before the Series and PS5 launched, grow GamePass with exclusive games, but everything has changed since. Hardware targets have been missed by everyone but Nintendo, the ability to fund games has dried up due to interest rate rises, and the amount of money that you can make back on a game has reduced massively. No one reason for all of this, but the environment has been totally turned on it's head.

I think that, for where MS is now, their decision making makes a fair bit of sense. Some games will need to be multiplatform in order to make the numbers work, they're going to make smaller games that don't cost as much (less HiFi Rush, more Pentiment), and they're going to go after a slightly different market with a handheld device (basically those that want PS/Xbox games on a mobile device, slightly different to a Nintendo device).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Off topic, but is next gen not now gen, so what people call the now gen is the previous gen and next gen is the PS6/Xbox XoXoX?

I also realise I could use current instead of now, but that'd be less confusing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I can't even remember much about civ6: civ5 I played so much I wore a hole in my PC but number 6? I dunno, the DLC improved the core game but it lacked the kind of innovation the fifth entry brought to the table. To the extent I started wondering if the series had just refined the formula beyond the "need" for any more games. Not even sure what we can expect from VII…

• Registered Users Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Went straight into Resi 1 Remaster after Resi 3 remake. Man, it's just dripping with atmosphere! Even rooms I know I have cleared out, I'm on edge passing through as I'm not familiar with the differences between original and remaster/remake. The lack of combat but dangerous encounters, the MUSIC, the lighting, just glorious. But thinking if this needs another remake, it absolutely does imo. needing ink ribbons to save, the dodgy movement (even the 'modern controls') and the lack of inventory space is a mood killer. The amount of times I got to a puzzle piece and needed to trapse back to an item box to get what I needed made me groan. The mansion isn't even that big but between dodgy controls and door loading screens, it has become a pain. Just up to the Snake boss and I'm loving it besides previously mentioned niggles.

It's crazy how you forget just how bad the acting and writing is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Resi 1 was like a roller coaster. It took me ages to warm up to all the stuff you mentioned above. But I then grew to love the ink ribbons, the limited space etc. You have to think about what you are doing. The mansion itself isn't that big but there are a few more phases. I never finished it as when I hit the third phase it felt like you were starting over and doing more fetch puzzles. Shame as I was on a decent Resi 1-8 roll at the time.

But defo agree on the remake. I think pretty much any game could benefit from a remake/remaster/update if it can capture the essence of the original and make it look and play better then I'm all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Many would argue we are still waiting for next gen level games from Series X and PS5.

It won't be declared until we have a glut of UE5 game imo.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭recyclops

Sunset overdrive should be on any gamers play list as its one of insomniacs best and maybe quantum break for its game/TV show hybrid which Sam Lake really wants to make work.

If either were PS exclusives they would be held in higher regard imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Luna84

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not a lot to get excited about at the games fest. A lot of stuff too early to tell if it will be good.

Most interested in fatal fury. SNK have been on a roll producing some of the best fighting games lately with KoF and samurai showdown being better than ever. Fatal Fury Mark of the Wolves was also up there with SF3 third strike for all time best fighting game

Metaphor should be great, Atlus can't do any wrong, but I'm a little concerned with how noisy it looks.

Yeah, 'twas a mixed bag with nothing hugely exciting for me personally, apart from Metaphor. Slitterhead wasn't what I was expecting at all, for example. I'm happy to see Blumhouse going all in on publishing indie horror games, but we've no idea what the games themselves will be like yet.

And WTF re Squad Busters? That trailer must have had a bigger budget than most indie studios have for a year…. and it's just another mobile game.

Interested in the Power Rangers game since I enjoyed others like them.

Is "Wishlist" the new "Preorder now"? Makes the game seem even further out that they don't even have preorders open. And most trailers that say that uusally only consist of minimal details of what the game actually is.

Seeing Black Myth: Wukong just makes me wish for an Enslaved sequel.

Ona quick sidenote, does a colon in game titles just imply it will be part of a planned series? Like can we expect another "Black Myth" game if it does well enough?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

New Davey Wreden project absolutely the most intriguing thing to have surfaced on my feed. Thought it seemed a random swing at first into cozy game territory but as the trailer went on it very much suggested there’s some twist / oddness afoot so curious to see how it plays out.

Looking forward to the new Sam Barlow. Not the biggest Brandon Cronenberg fan (relative to his father at least) but it’s a fascinating mix of sensibilities so keen to see whatever they’ve got cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Finished Cyberpunk. Good game but an underwhelming conclusion.

I remember thinking the whole Keanu thing was a gimmick but he's very good in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Maybe I somehow played a different version of it, but I thought Keanu was the worst part of Cyberpunk. Very wooden and... acted, didn't feel genuine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Interesting that a dev 'apparently' said that they had a different actor for Johnny that did a much better job but when bosses find they could get Keanu, there was no turning back. I LOVE Keanu and that live reveal of him in the game was absolutely epic but i can definitely imagine there being a better Johnny. I think Keanu is too likeable to play the prick.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sorry I'm missing something but is Cronenberg attached to this that you mention him?

Good trailer thoufh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sorry, the Cronenberg one is a separate project - one he’s working on in conjunction with Sam Barlow. Not much info other than it’s called Project C and published by Blumhouse Games. Not a whole lot more info other than a title mention in a sizzle reel:

I remember the Steam page going up for it back in January, but it was mostly redacted text. And I see they've not changed it much since, other than to add Cronenberg's name! Barlow has another game (Project D) in the works as well, and its Steam page goes with the same redacted text too. Can only speculate, but maybe it's a companion piece to C.

Based on the redacted text and the hints Barlow has dropped, Project D seems to be a bit of a departure for the studio and more of a traditional survival horror. Whereas C is more akin to Her Story, Immortality etc… and based around video.

Though information is scant on both so we’ll see in due course :) Immortality was a big step forward for them IMO so very keen to see their next efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

No Doom Dark Ages day one on PS5. That’s a shame. Same for Dragon Age.

Huh... Perfect Dark... looks.... good?

Today I learned that "Souls-lite" is a thing. Pretty sure Devs aren't meant to refer to their own games like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,006 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Fable looks super.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Advertisement