Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

I can deal with raptors but not these little green b*stards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If trespasser had worked out then it might have been similar. The tech just wasn't there but at least that game went on to influence much better games like half life 2 and halo.

Those indoor levels of the SNES game were incredible at the time. It's insane that they got it working on the SNES especially since it has a tile based renderer. They basically made every pixel a tile and updated the tile graphics after calculating what colour the pixel would be after the scaling matrix calculations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,367 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A proper Jurassic Park game could be excellent if done right, though involuntary grimace when I hear 'Survival' these days. Hopefully that's more survival horror than tree punching and crafting.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,543 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"You play as Maya Joshi, who has been left behind on Isla Nublar after the characters of the film depart"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Really liked that too, apart from the bizarre decision to make you complete the game in a single sitting. I had homework to do, man!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah it's a long ass game. Needed passwords. Didn't have a sense so the closest I got was the Gameboy game which was just too down. So all the worst things from the SNES game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,367 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Preach, brother, preach - Nathan Brown adding a sensibly cynical perspective amid not-E3 hype season.

https://newsletter.hitpoints.co/267-memory-lapse/

Yes, yes, some good games on show, perhaps even some great ones. Lots to look forward to. But is that all it takes? If you were able to look at some of the more outré firstparty fare on show without wondering when Microsoft plans to close the studio that made it, then more power to you. If the avalanche of trailers with little or no gameplay footage, and vague or entirely absent release windows, was all you needed to forget the Xbox division’s miserable track record for shipping good games on time, then great, I guess. If you were able to listen to Matt Booty pay gurning tribute to “the creativity and talent of game creators” that “make our industry unique”, mere weeks after putting some of the Xbox operation's most talented and creative developers out of work, without wanting to put your foot through the screen then I am almost jealous. I may well have been sick on the spot, if there was anything left inside me to expel.

PC Gamer review of Shin Megami Tensei V and it sounds incredible:

Review by hg101 alumni Kimimi who's opinion I'd very much respect, especially with regards to RPGs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

FFS Sony, it's an open goal!

"I know for a fact these guys want a Bloodborne PC port," Miyazaki said, referring to FromSoftware producer Yasuhiro Kitao and interpreter Bobby Simpson seated at the conference table near him. "If I say I want one, I'll get in trouble as well. But it's nothing I'm opposed to."

You just know we will get Days Gone remaster before this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,879 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

• Registered Users Posts: 29,759 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

With Kingdom Hearts heading to Steam I'd like to give people some advice if they are curious about making a start on the series:

Don't

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Ah lets qualify this properly. Don't IF you're looking for some coherent story telling.

It's not too bad from a gameplay perspective, but mind you, it gets a bit repetitive if you were to go from one game to another

Even from a gameplay perspective they're really poor. It's all very button mashy, mash X and zero challenge.

Now I did come off chain of memories and the battle system and challenge there were good but everything else about it made it bad, you know, the dull gameplay and, well, kingdom hearts of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,948 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I played the first couple of hours of the first one and had to turn it off due to the overly heavy nicey nice happy Disney friendship vibe… sickening to listen to. I am not the target audience for that game series.

You chose wisely.

The second game is a little better but it's also got the worst cold opening of any videogame with you playing as a side character fannying about with a bunch of bellends for 8 hours and the height of excitement are some minigames to grind money and a hidden item quest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,948 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That sure sounds fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Luna84

Best game series ever….

Joking. I never played any of them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Obviously they've been fine enough with their IP being used or they wouldn't have kept expanding the characters, but I've wondered how Disney feel about Kingdom Hearts. It's such utter bollix but clearly sells, and seems to have a weirdly devoted fandom.

I've never played Kingdom Hearts, but I always begrudge it for emboldening Tetsuya Nomura and Kazushige Nojima to fart out the atrocious gibberish that is the main plot of the FFVII remake games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,879 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Pre-order to get a life sized cardboard cutout of Deacon St. John 😉

The official end of Tango Gameworks.

One of the most senseless, infuriating studio closures in gaming history, and one that will quite rightly sully the names of Matt Booty, Phil Spencer and Xbox for a very long time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Pizza looks cold, just like the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Lookimg forward to Citizen Sleeper 2, but 2025 feels a long way away.

I was surprised this wasn't shown on the Xbox showcase considering the frist is a huge Gane Pass success. It also streams well on xCloud with lag largely irrelevant for this type of game.

Post edited by PixelPlayer on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I stuck this in the Xbox thread but gonna throw in here too.

I got into the Xbox Valorant beta and have 5 extra keys for it if anyone wants them. Just send me a pm and I'll try sort it.

Word from the fighting game community that are testing Fatal Fury: City of the Wolves is that will be one of the all time great fighting games. They're extremely impressed with it. They also say it's the best looking fighting game on the market, the YouTube videos don't do it justice since the compression can't handle how colourful it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Just joining the Last of Us Part 1 party quite late. Beautiful looking game on PS5, and it's brilliant how they managed to do that considering the subject matter. Sound effects and usage also amazingly done.

Some brilliant gameplay in it too. Just on one section now where you make it to the top of a hotel with human hunters in it that you can easily stealth kill, and you think your out of it, then fall right back down a lift shaft into the horrors of a flooded basement. Water, light, partical effects, and sound, just done excellently.

They disguise the fact that it's a linear game so well. Human and creature movement is just so good, especially at 60 FPS. The controls are clean and intuitive. You can see the Uncharted engine in it, but the game is way more grounded and believable than Uncharted.

You know you're playing a great game when you don't want it to end. Last time I think I got that feeling was BOTW.

Advertisement