Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Hitman announcement in 10 minutes, live video here

https://m.twitch.tv/hitman

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Generation Zero

So, co-op Horizon Zero Dawn? It looks... interesting. Wonder if it'll be specifically co-op or have a SP portion too. Hopefully it does, otherwise I'm out!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

nix wrote: »
    Does hitman need to use a briefcase to carry a sniper around again yet? Or has he still got George Stobbart pockets?
    No suitcase in the 2016 game from what I remember. Anything bigger than a pistol is shouldered and visible to NPCs however.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

more like Stranger Zero Dawn Things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Maaaaan what I'd give for a skate 4 announcement at E3. Seems like the skate 3 servers came back online today.

I would also like a new Skate game for once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Skerries wrote: »
    more like Stranger Zero Dawn Things

Yeah, there's deffo an attempt to cash in on the current 80s nostalgia boom. The music in the trailer alone is a rip off of Terminator's theme, but I still liked it as a whole. Fingers crossed there's more to it than just style.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Had to give up Persona 5 because of the cat.

I've played a lot of games and I'm struggling to think of a more annoying character than that fúcking cat. The horrible voice (Lady Onn), the control it has over you (Go to bed, you can't do that, not right now etc) the character interactions.

There was a small sliver of hope near the point where I gave up. Had just got Futaba and she replaced him as the narrator in the palaces and mementos (happy days, I thought) and then the cat left the group (maybe he'll turn evil and fúck off for good?) but no, he was back in a day or two. Gave up mid-September.

It's a good game otherwise but I couldn't tolerate anymore of him/her/it.

You can download the japanese voice tracks off psn if you're okay with subtitles. The cat is quite annoying in fairness

You can download the japanese voice tracks off psn if you're okay with subtitles. The cat is quite annoying in fairness

Had forgotten that. Got the special edition when it was on sale so pretty sure I downloaded it already.

Worth a try at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Layers of Fear is free on steam.

The only downside is you might have to play one of the worse manipulative jump scare pewdiepie bait games ever made. Garbage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Layers of Fear is free on steam.

The only downside is you might have to play one of the worse manipulative jump scare pewdiepie bait games ever made. Garbage.

So... you didn't like it? You're being slightly ambiguous there.

I enjoyed it for what it was. I think it's worth a playthrough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thought it was a total waste of time. No real horror just jump scares which got old after 15 minutes when you realised that's all it had. Not substance to it and the narrative pay off was awful.

Didn't help that I had just come off of Soma which unlike Layers of Fear was fantastic.

Thought it was a total waste of time. No real horror just jump scares which got old after 15 minutes when you realised that's all it had. Not substance to it and the narrative pay off was awful.

Didn't help that I had just come off of Soma which unlike Layers of Fear was fantastic.

I played it in one sitting over a couple of hours between a couple of longer games so I enjoyed it as a little break. It's undeniably slight but I enjoyed the atmosphere of it with the lights turned off and playing it on the large TV in the house.

Tbf, Soma is in a completely different league with one of the best endings ever in a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The biggest reveal of the week:
    Meet Mark

https://twitter.com/KazHiraiCEO/status/1007645187831746561?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Kill La Kill: The Game announced :o
    img-ss1.jpg
    http://www.kill-la-kill-game.jp/en/

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Kill La Kill: The Game announced :o
    img-ss1.jpg
    http://www.kill-la-kill-game.jp/en/

Don't lose your waaaaay.

Just started RE7. I am terrible with jump scares, the slightest thing spooks me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

The trailer for RE2 remake is tempting me to play the RE1 HD remake.
    I did enjoy RE Revelations which I already played.
    I wouldn't have the stomach for RE7 lol. I play games to relax :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

messed around with black ops three, god it's awful
    they're a parody of themselves at this stage
    I 8 activision

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I 8 activision

Wasn't it the first roboty super suit one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

eyerer wrote: »
    The trailer for RE2 remake is tempting me to play the RE1 HD remake.
    I did enjoy RE Revelations which I already played.
    I wouldn't have the stomach for RE7 lol. I play games to relax :pac:

I started playing through RE1 HD remake due to this.
    But seriously. handgun sucks...the random headshots etc...infuriating.
    Trying to shoot the dogs ? impossible.
    Inventory management....eurgghhh...what a pain.
    I rage quit a few days ago and haven't gone back since.

I loved it back in the day, I just didn't have the patience for it the other night. I will go back and try again though.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I 8 activision

Did you get it free with PS Plus? I'm trying out the campaign but its pretty dull. I was looking forward to giving it a lash because I don't play a lot of these games but it doesn't do anything for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

yeah got it free with plus played with a friend who's insanely good and it was a bit of fun but I was getting murdered. playing children with lightning fast reflexes is bad enough but when you don't know the maps and are playing guys who do it's really hard.

WHO have listed gaming addiction as a mental health issue.

I have to agree and wonder how it has taken so long to be recognised

They got stuck on Dark Souls?

I used to work with a Hungarian lad who lost a job and a girlfriend to WOW back in the day.
    We all thought it was funny at the time but looking back on it, it was kinda lousy.
    He pulled himself together though thankfully

I do wonder about breaking psychological addictions down into subsets rather than dealing with them all under a banner of Addictive Personality Disorder because they all seem to operate in the same manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

A friend of mine told me she's read a lot of stories on the internet the last year or two of girlfriends who dump or want to dump their boyfriends because of either how addicted they are to games, or in some cases how much time they spend streaming games and trying to become a popular streamer because that's what they want to do full-time. But that they'll work a full-time job and then could spend 4-6 hours each evening and 10-12 hours Saturday/Sunday just gaming the entire time.

I mean it's one thing to try and chase the career you want and put lots of effort into it, but if it's damaging all other aspects of your life (and certainly your health, both mental and physical), then it's just not worth it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Penn wrote: »
    I mean it's one thing to try and chase the career you want and put lots of effort into it, but if it's damaging all other aspects of your life (and certainly your health, both mental and physical), then it's just not worth it.

Any of those high risk/high reward careers are the same though, you could say the same about footballers, actors, writers, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

CatInABox wrote: »
    Any of those high risk/high reward careers are the same though, you could say the same about footballers, actors, writers, etc.

I agree, but even then there are professional classes, courses and training for those, and even at a low level you can still make a career out of it with a natural, discernible talent.

Streaming though, I imagine it's incredibly hard to break into given how easy it is to start, thereby saturating the market. Literally anyone can be a streamer with little setup, and given how popular gaming is, a lot of people do it. Then you're also competing on a global scale (whereas with football, acting etc you're competing in specific areas for specific roles).

Not saying it's impossible, and it takes a lot of hard work to accomplish. Just that the amount of gaming you'd have to do and content you'd have to generate to start making a career out of, the likelihood that that career would actually generate sizable results, and the effect of all that on your health and lifestyle would definitely make me side with the girlfriends who leave or want to leave their partners over it.

But then I guess if the guy does become a popular streamer and make loads of money and a career out of it, could probably get another girlfriend.

Advertisement