Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Cordell

I feel like I'm missing out on some insider joke here but I actually enjoyed it for what it was, and it wasn't bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Sony ain't doing another post apocalyptic zombie game until they are done milking The Last of Us. Or MS pay them 70 billion for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

nah. Can't think of one decent game with fighter jets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Cut off Boozers other arm?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,937 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Advertisement

That new Astro Game looks brilliant.

John Linnerman raving about a demo on Digital Foundry. It's almost like a Super Mario Galaxy 3. It's hard to believe that SMG 1 and 2 still look and play amazingly. And it's taken the rest this amount of time to catch up. For me this is what video game consoles are about.

Hopefully it's a brilliant game the whole way through and makes tons of money. Because we need more pure FUN AAA abstract super colourful and vibrant video games. And I can't wait to see what kind of 3D Mario game Nintendo make next for Switch 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭jj880

Are the Galaxy games better than Odyssey? I havent played them.

Could be controversial but I'm leaning towards Astro over Odyssey. Not sure if its the haptics or the game overall but it just had something more for me. I cant wait for the full Astro game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I would say the Galaxy games are the purest and freshest 3D Mario games. Odyssey has lots to love like all the major Mario titles, but in terms of pure ingenuity, experimentation and joy… the Galaxy games are on another (excuse the pun) planet.

Galaxy and Odyssey are close, but I think Galaxy is a purer tighter video game, is incredibly inventive and it has the best soundtrack ever. I'd say Astro and Galaxy have got similar feels. I loved the PS5 Astrobot game but it's just a sample of what could be. The jury is out until the full fat Astro Game comes out in September. Galaxy 2 is excellent, but doesn't have the same killer soundtrack and is more of the same.

The Wii is the best place to play Galaxy as you can run, jump and use the on screen pointer effortlessly at the same time. Switch gyro is not in the same league at the Wii infrared pointer for aiming. But the Switch version is HD. They've stopped selling it digitally on Switch (it's bundled with Sunshine and 64). But you can still get it physically on Wii and Switch.

I have not tried PC emulation. But if that supports a will remote and pointer then that might be the best place to experience it. Dolphin emu.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

No joke, just that some people think it's one of the greatest games ever made and the other people are wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Think best way to say it is if you play Galaxy or Odyssey, you won't be disappointed. Same with Astro. I won't be comparing it to Mario other than just being happy to get another great game like Mario, assuming it keeps the quality of Playroom.

And I liked Sackboy's Big Adventure as well.

I gave Sackboy's Big Adventure a go, but I found it a bit flat, and left it, does it pick up ?

I enjoyed Sackboy. Does take a while to get going. Not on the level of Mario or Astro but worth playing through. Some good boss battles, the speed runs are polished and addictive. Multiplayer levels enjoyable. Some great music levels also.

The Uptown Funk level is a excellent with enemies moving to the beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,982 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I enjoyed Sackboy. A 7/10ish game that's fun enough to play through but it's not going to be something that blows your mind on the whole. That said, the handful of musical levels are some of the most joy filled minutes I've had gaming in the last few years. The rest of it is enjoyable enough. Once you've finished with it, it'll fall out of your brain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,352 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Its no Knack...

I got a second hand physical copy of AC Origins in the post, in a jiffy bag, for a tenner. Regardless of the game, you can't reproduce that feeling with digital games. 😁 Picking up some games I enjoyed in the past, cheap, on physical media for PS5.

Now, where do I go to seek professional help ...

AC Anonymous ? 😁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,352 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

"Hi, my name is SuperBowserWorld and I'm addicted to playing the wrong AC games".

I've started into the Last of us part 2.

It's definitely larger so there is that anxiety of "did I miss an important item" in it, cause you can't go back in the game. Even if it's a 5 foot wall, you can't go back.

So you go from this large Seattle area with a map and you're thinking oh I can come back to these question marks, but no, you can't, and the map just disappears.

Also, I don't care much about humans or infected dying, but horses getting killed is just too much.

I only play the 60FPS AC games 😁. AC Origins is good, you can get an excellently animated crocodile to accompany you and your horse and hawk around ancient Egypt. Come on ! I'm interested in seeing what the PS5 upgrade looks like. It's lower res than the native 4K Series X one ... and I'm wondering ... will I actually notice any difference. 😁

Definitely thinking once the PS5 shoebox of games is full up, I'm done with the console war and either moving to PC or SteamDeck 2, when that arrives. And whatever Nintendo sell.

Still the wrong AC games. The only true AC games involve jet planes and awesome music.

• Advertisement

That's 13 stg second hand from Amazon. It's also 60 FPS. Maybe ... checks Wikipedia..

"Ace Combat 7 received "generally favorable" reviews from critics, according to review aggregator website Metacritic"

and universal acclaim from @Retr0gamer 😁

I'll probably grab it at some stage, played it briefly on XBox GamePass, but got distracted by something else.

John Linneman gave it his game of the year. It's an 80 on metacritic, don't know what that became generally favourable?

If you have a PlayStation it's probably worth getting it from there and getting the deluxe edition as you get an exclusive remake of ace combat 5 which is considered by many the best in the series and because it's Namco there's no other way to get it. It goes on sale a lot.

Good to know deluxe edition re AC5. The one to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Luna84

Well last yesterday evening I finished Grounded. What a game. I put many hours into this game. I went back after finishing it to do a few more things as I didn't know that was the end. I thought there was more as I knew I had stuff left to do. I played till late last night doing a few more things but I'm calling it finished now. I have had my fill.

Fe is next on the list anyone play it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,937 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I fired up my Xbox 360S and bought two games: Remember Me and Bionic Commando.

Resident Evil 9 info:

https://www.gamesradar.com/games/horror/resident-evil-9-is-official-and-its-being-helmed-by-resident-evil-7s-director-who-says-the-series-should-scare-the-hell-out-of-you/

"We're making a new Resident Evil," said Resident Evil 7 director Koshi Nakanishi said in the Capcom Next Summer 2024 livestream (timestamped here). "It was really difficult to figure out what to do after 7. But I found it, and to be honest it feels substantial. I can't share any details just yet, but I hope you're excited for the day I can."

Source: Livestream link with timestamp:

https://www.youtube.com/live/p7hiMS0Hct4?si=k8uW1d8U57rpVzS8&t=2364

So searching for mega drive on facebook while give you a warning that you are looking up.... Illegal stuff.

This proves that Mark Zuckerberg was a SNES owning Weiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Luna84

Tried it for the laugh and got child sexual abuse for what ever reason. Could have at least warned me before I tired I could be on some list now.

Can I stick my mega drive into your ……

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Is it just that those dolts at FB don't understand it's an alternate name for the Genesis?

There was that file sharing company Mega, that was pretty dodgy out!

Maybe that explains the "concern" FB have for the term?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Advertisement