Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

It was bad enough when I was just addicted to games, now it's a mental health issue?

More fuel for the anti-gaming brigade. Playing video games gives you a mental disorder and other such ignorant nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    WHO have listed gaming addiction as a mental health issue.

I have to agree and wonder how it has taken so long to be recognised
    Any idea of what the criteria are? I'm betting they're ludicrously low so most people who have gaming as their primary hobby would be considered addicts.

For gaming disorder to be diagnosed, the behaviour pattern must be of sufficient severity to result in significant impairment in personal, family, social, educational, occupational or other important areas of functioning and would normally have been evident for at least 12 months.

http://www.who.int/features/qa/gaming-disorder/en/

I used to get up at 4 am so I could play Final Fantasy 7 before heading into work.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I used to get up at 4 am so I could play Final Fantasy 7 before heading into work.

Ah, but did it negatively impact on your life though? That's the main question on this really, and it could be applied to almost any hobby.

Spend to much time in the gym and don't see your kids all that often? Probably a mental health issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Evade wrote: »
    Any idea of what the criteria are? I'm betting they're ludicrously low so most people who have gaming as their primary hobby would be considered addicts.

I seriously doubt that. It would be whether it had a substantially negative effect on your personal life, your relationships and your financial wellbeing.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Ah, but did it negatively impact on your life though? That's the main question on this really, and it could be applied to almost any hobby.

Spend to much time in the gym and don't see your kids all that often? Probably a mental health issue.

I don't think so although I was very quiet the day Aeris died.

In fairness the WHO set the bar fairly high and said it only affects a small minority of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

For gaming disorder to be diagnosed, the behaviour pattern must be of sufficient severity to result in significant impairment in personal, family, social, educational, occupational or other important areas of functioning and would normally have been evident for at least 12 months.

I do get up at 4:30 to play whatever it is I happen to be playing at that time before work. Get most of my gaming done at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If those are the symptoms then they better add senior club GAA disorder, amateur level MMA disorder, competitive cycling disorder etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

or people that give out to you for spending so much time playing games as they plough trough another boxet on Netflix

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That's sick and wrong.

You should have at least chosen a better Final Fantasy game :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

For anything to become recognised like this the habit has to become pathological or damaging to the individual.
    Even then there is a different between being physically addicted to something or psychologically addicted to something.
    Equally, is a person dependent on something due to a underlying need or not, so an apparent addiciton or enduring habit may simply be a way to "self medicate" for another disorder, such as someone using alcohol to manage anxiety.
    Videogame addiction might be a management of a social disorder, like agoraphobia, or it could be a way to provide a form of self-stimulatory behaviour, called stimming, in a person who suffers from either hypo or hyper sensory processing.
    Addiction and the use of apparently self-harming behaviour is actually really complex, deal with it all the time in my day job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That's sick and wrong.

"I get up at 4am to play Gunstar Heroes" for example

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Addiction and the use of apparently self-harming behaviour is actually really complex, deal with it all the time in my day job.

And that's how you became addicted. They infected you with the gaming-interwebz virus. I hear you can get it from a dirty toilet seat and it's 6,000 times more infectious than AIDS and hepatitis.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I hear you can get it from sharing controllers, that why you should always give someone the Madcatz spare

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

That's sick and wrong.

You mean, Final fantasy 13? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

A video with a point that has to be repeated:
    There is no such thing as "all gamers".
    Every time an internet article/discussion goes in the general direction of "well, gamers don't know what they want" because a subset of fans spoke out about something, I want to reach through my monitor & strangle that particular writer for making the wrong assumptions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd go so far as to say the whole gamer label is utter nonsense and a convenient label for either people that don't understand video games so can lump everything together or man babies looking to validate their hobby.

I've only heard people call me a gamer in the last 3 or 4 years using it as if me playing video games just totally defines who I am. Video games are so ubiquitous now that its a ridiculous label.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    A video with a point that has to be repeated:
    There is no such thing as "all gamers".
    Every time an internet article/discussion goes in the general direction of "well, gamers don't know what they want" because a subset of fans spoke out about something, I want to reach through my monitor & strangle that particular writer for making the wrong assumptions.

Same thing happens with every loose collection of people on the internet: feminists, rightwingers, libertarians, etc… and generally, these groups of very disparate people are usually defined by the most toxic people associated with these groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For the addiction thing, I find it bad that parents are trying to get financial help for their kids who have gaming addiction. Like there was one story about a kid who hasn't gone to school for a year. Maybe it's me, but isn't that the parents' fault? I understand adults having an addiction as there's no one responsible for them

• Advertisement

the division youtuber marcostyles stopped going to school, massive offered him a job and he turned them down as it would affect his game time. if you're going to have an addiction you may as well go all in.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

CastorTroy wrote: »
    For the addiction thing, I find it bad that parents are trying to get financial help for their kids who have gaming addiction. Like there was one story about a kid who hasn't gone to school for a year. Maybe it's me, but isn't that the parents' fault? I understand adults having an addiction as there's no one responsible for them

Seriously? Do they just stand there, powerlessly?

My kids aren't at that age yet, but if they don't behave properly, then they won't be playing with Lego, never mind video games. A whole year out of school? There needs to be a medical condition for ridiculously bad parenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

A woman texted into Sean Moncrieff saying her son played Fortnite from 3.30pm to 12.30am and screamed at her if she tried to stop him so she basically left him to it. It was completely ridiculous. I love my kids and we all get on great with each other but when it boils down to it, I'm their parent not their friend. You have to make decisions that are not popular with them sometimes but that are in their best interests. Letting them play Fortnite 9 hours a day is not doing them any good and letting them get away with screaming at you with no consequence shows you epically suck at parenting imo.

CastorTroy wrote: »

It's like those fecking idiots that keep shoveling food into those 65 stone behemoths that haven't been able to move off their beds for years. What are they playing at?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

A woman texted into Sean Moncrieff saying her son played Fortnite from 3.30pm to 12.30am and screamed at her if she tried to stop him so she basically left him to it. It was completely ridiculous. I love my kids and we all get on great with each other but when it boils down to it, I'm their parent not their friend. You have to make decisions that are not popular with them sometimes but that are in their best interests. Letting them play Fortnite 9 hours a day is not doing then any good and letting them get away with screaming at you with no consequence shoes you epically sick at parenting imo.

Yeah it's embarrassing listening to parents desperately trying to blame anything and everything for their own failures. I was insanely into video games as a kid (SNES-N64-PS2) but my parents managed them.

So many parents raise young kids now with ipads and games simply because it shuts them up and let's the parents dig their heads into their phones. They end up growing up used to it.

"Oh they won't stop screaming if they don't get to play Fortnite..."

They actually will.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I've only heard people call me a gamer in the last 3 or 4 years using it as if me playing video games just totally defines who I am. Video games are so ubiquitous now that its a ridiculous label.

I was just called a video game nerd and sometimes a house-hatcher for the previous 15 years when I would play video games instead of comin out for a game of football. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I'd go so far as to say the whole gamer label is utter nonsense and a convenient label for either people that don't understand video games so can lump everything together or man babies looking to validate their hobby.

How many articles by game-hating game journos do you need to read to become this opposed to the word gamer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

How does one make sure one is not a man baby? Asking for a friend

• Advertisement

How many articles by game-hating game journos do you need to read to become this opposed to the word gamer?

I'm forty years of age. To call myself a gamer would feel extraordinarily juvenile. Playing some games is just one of the interests I have and far down the list in terms of how I’d describe myself.

I read books as well - not as many as I'd like to because life gets in the way - but I'd never feel the need to proclaim myself a reader or to belong to some sort of reader culture.

Advertisement