Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Mad nostalgia vibes for that game after seeing it for the first time in 20 years.

Another "I had the demo" game but always wanted to get it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You missed out. One of the very few videogames with a genuinely good story and not schlock trying to ape a HBO show or movies.

Edit: thought we were talking about silent Hill 2 still...

Post edited by Retr0gamer on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm having another play through of Sleeping Dogs. You can't beat bating the shite out of someone and then going for a pork bun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

One of all time favorite games. Such a shame it never got a proper sequel. Love the environmental finishers in it. Such a small feature but it really makes it so much fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,015 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Spent about 20 minutes XP farming for vials and bullets so I could try Orphan of Kos about 10 more times. Ended up beating him second try. Bit of luck and a bit of just staggering him enough that he went into second phase quite late, but even then stuck to his hip and luckily he wasn't jumping all over the place and stayed still enough for me to take him down.

Took Gerhman and Moon Presence down in about 4 tries each, so that's Bloodborne done and dusted.

Bought myself this earlier to commemorate my (then upcoming) victory

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

People shouldn't sleep on EDF6 especially if they want a couch coop shooter or one they can play with friends online. Even as a single player game it's really good.

EDF kind of had a problem with the early game where for a long time you are killing ants and other more simple enemies and it takes a long time to really ramp up. EDF6 fixes that issue, mostly. I say mostly because it has one of the most boring tutorial levels I've played in a long time. However after that it ramps up the crazy very early. The first enemies are the frog people who are so much fun to kill. I'm at stage 10 now and it's really ramped up the chaos. It's just an absolute blast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭RedXIV

My son and I beat EDF4 a few years ago and had a blast. Great game to pick up for a mission or two and then drop it.
    Found there is a bit of a learning curve to play anything other than ranger but well worth it.

May have to look at this

I was looking for a game I could pick up for a mission or 2 and it's perfect for it.

Ranger is probably the most boring as well, although still a lot of fun.

I find the wing diver a lot of fun. You have low health but you get some crazy weapons and can fly. You have to balance the jet pack meter and most weapons eat into it but it's easy enough to learn.

When I played EDF5 I used the Air Raider. That one starts off awful but quickly became my favourite. You have very little offensive options at the start but once you get a few weapons you can lay down turrets, call in air strikes or orbital strikes and summon tanks and mechs. Had a blast with that character class and in multiplayer they can set up zones to buff other characters.

For EDF6 in playing the Fencer which is apparently the strongest class but the learning curve is like hitting a brick wall. It's equally the slowest and fastest class. Ground speed and turning are like a truck but if you combine it with the weapon movement abilities you have the potential for the best movement in the game. Also helps you can carry four weapons and dual wield.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Luna84

Dungeons of Hinterland is so good. Takes a while to get used to the art work style of the game but your eyes adjust. I should be finished it tomorrow evening. I have one dungeon left to do.

• Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Civ7 gameplay trailer tonight looks very interesting. Decoupling cigs and leaders, and you now change civ as you change age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Anyone here play Rimworld? PC specifically?

I think I'm only interested in it, cos it reminds me of Prison Architect, which I loved.

But I think it plays a little differently!

Speaking of Prison Architect, the 2nd release looks pretty interesting, but it's in development hell from what i can tell! Pity

Jesus started Another Crab's treasure and what ever eejit on the internet said it was easy is off his head. I never played any souls games as I would not like to put myself through torture. But anyway I'm a vocal gamer when things get difficult in games which scares the dog. One thing though this game which I don't think souls does is it has assists to make your life easier.

Souls games aren't torture. They're a delicate balance of pleasure and pain. Just the pleasure is intoxicating.

The assists are optional. And another major assist in the game is you can take out a massive gun and kill a boss in one shot.

I was having a hard time with one and was going through the settings and seen equip a gun. So I done that and I wasn't even up close to the boss and shot him and he was dead. I will see again if I will use it. I will try the normal way as you are not playing the game properly if you just go around and one shot kill bosses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Alright, nevermind!

Watched an intro video on it! A bit too in-depth for me.

I prefer the more point and click style builders, like Tropico.

Speaking of, no sign of Tropico 7 yet 🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,198 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Looking at stuff on sale in the PS store. Is Atomic Heart any good?

Apparently quite meh with some atrocious dialogue. Some good art design and a great soundtrack but consensus seems to be that it's quite disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I've gone back to try and finally finish Killzone ShadowFall. I think this is my third attempt.

My goodness is that still a stunning-looking game. For a PS4 launch game, it could still hold its own up against much of what is being released today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,198 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Yeah, the soviet sex bots art design interests me.

Lies of P is another option but I've just finished Elden Ring so a Soulslike would burn me out fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Cordell

TBH Lords of the Fallen scratched my Elden Ring itch much more better than Lies of P and I played them both one after the other after I finished the Shadow of the Erdtree.

And yes that … art was something else, but nowhere near enough of it. Combat was kind of meh, generic shooter like, but exploration was much better and rewarding.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,581 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've been playing through Tomba thanks to its recent re-release. I'd played the demo when I was a kid, and a decent chunk when it was released on PSN back in the PS3 / PSP era - though realising now I didn't get too far back then.

I have to say I'm really appreciating it. Its odd mix of genres - platformer, adventure game, Metroidvania and a little bit of RPG - is still pretty fresh, especially since the quest design is so sprawling and involved. There's a fun light puzzle element to resolving them, and several span the entire gameworld in fun ways. The art is colourful and distinctive, the platforming surprisingly versatile, and the music a delight.

I will say, though: thank god for the rewind function. This is one feature I have no hesitation using in modern re-releases. Given Tomba has a fairly old-school lives and health system, this one modern convenience just makes the journey a whole lot more painless - especially during the bosses, which are fairly reliant on narrow timing windows to complete.

Well it was made by a company set up by the man that lead development of the ghost 'n goblins/ ghouls 'n ghosts games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭recyclops

Perfect gamepass game is best way to describe it.

Lies of P is top class one of my favourite games of the last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭recyclops

I don't think they paid billions for this. What they did pay billions for is far from meh tbf.

Obviously this is all relative if ya don't like the content then yeah MS paid billions for rubbish but for some reason candy crush makes over a million a day supposedly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,581 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The year of endless cool indie game gems continues.

Played through the first hour of Tactical Breach Wizards last night. Unsurprising given its from Tom Francis and his team, but it's great - a puzzley take on X-Com featuring wizards with absurd powers breaching doors dramatically and knocking enemies through windows. Takes inspiration from Into The Breach too by having a generous free rewind function so you can test out tactics and moves without any consequence if it goes wrong. And the writing is very funny. Excellent stuff.

Have also heard some steadily generating buzz around Arco, another tactics game with a very interesting mix of real-time and turn-based combat. Haven't read too much about it yet, but a lot of games folk I'd trust have been really bigging it up on twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

TBW seems like it's been in development for yonks, but I'm really looking forward to finally trying it.

• Advertisement

Tom says they've been working on it for 6.5 years, which is quite a development time.

Seems to be doing very well for them on Steam though, which is fantastic news.

Advertisement