Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I wish I could find a game that was good enough to get addicted to tbh but they're few and far between. When something like Witcher 3 or Botw come along I'll be playing until 4 in the morning and thinking about it all day at work but the minute the end credits roll I'm done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Adults worried about seeming mature and avoiding juvenility is ironically an immature thing. Only kids think being old is cool.

You know nothing about me and what I've gone through in life so I'd rather you kept your judgement about my maturity to yourself.

I'm a husband, a father, I play games, I read books, I watch movies, I listen to music and collect vinyl. I've no problems telling people about any of my hobbies and I've never hidden them from anybody. I just find the term gamer limiting and the notion of a gaming culture nonsensical.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Well, got diagnosed today :(

GP called it after I whacked him on the head with a frying pan and tea bagged him for 30 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Its a bit **** that "gamer" is now a dirty word. I am a gamer since I can remember myself. Even now, if I get a chance I can put good 4h on a day off when family is not home.
    In the end I have a family, full time job, mortgage, bills, car payments, managing to put away some savings too, while able to do activities with my family. Me and misses go atleast twice per year to stand up gigs and if by some luck get days off matching, we will be going somewhere.
    I still play a lot by their standards, but I have a proper adult life. If it brands me as a dirty addict gamer, then feck it, thats what I am.
    For example I want my 9 year old to be a gamer, I am one of those ****ty parents who lets her play and get annoyed when she plays for 20min, gets bored or frustraded and just quits. Tablet ****ty brain dead clickers is her thing. In a way its our fault she spends so much time on Tablet, no excuses there, but with us having full time jobs and barely having any time for ourselves, we chose that evil. Its on us.
    I wonder if I can put gaming to her as punishment? You were little bitch to mother? Good, now you have to grind 10 levels in Fortnite or you grounded. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Thargor wrote: »
    I wish I could find a game that was good enough to get addicted to tbh but they're few and far between. When something like Witcher 3 or Botw come along I'll be playing until 4 in the morning and thinking about it all day at work but the minute the end credits roll I'm done.
    I'm quite similar, maybe with the odd run of xcom 2 or civ vi thrown in. The likes of fez, ori, the witness, Wolfenstein, doom etc I can pick up for a half hour here or there then put down with no issue - I usually tire of them fairly quick. The likes of dar cry and assassins creed are open world era but always feel dull, lifeless and kind of manufactured (as they all are, but TW3, gta v and botw just have so, so much more fine detail and personality in them).

Give me something open world with versatility and levelling up etc like botw, gtav, or the witcher 3 though and I'm a bit of a risk to go completely off the map for a month or two. :o

Well, got diagnosed today :(

GP called it after I whacked him on the head with a frying pan and tea bagged him for 30 seconds.

I hope you told him his mom is a c**t a good dozen times in a row while screaming it at a decibels level high enough to make a dolphin wince. That'll show him.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

The bit about gamer addiction depends a lot on the personality of the individual imo. There is something to be said for some sorts of people retreating into virtual worlds to achieve success without the pitfalls attached to real-life interaction. Games are uniquely positioned to exploit that reward system that is usually designed to influence us to take risks in real life, not fighting a boss in a video game. Therefore supplanting real life achievements with virtual ones in insidious ways we can barely notice.

I definitely have the kind of personality that gets taken in easily by these types of loops so I find it easy enough to believe that game addiction is a real problem, even if it is not a strictly accurate pathology in itself.

On the flip side, one of the benefits of burning myself out on MMOs like FFXIV is I've gotten a hell of a lot more cynical about these progression based systems and less likely to fall for them. Not that that was my intention on subscribing lol.

But again, it depends on your relationship with gaming, the primacy you give it in your life. The ways in which you game, like do you form actual connections with real-life people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Billy86 wrote: »
    I hope you told him his mom is a c**t a good dozen times in a row while screaming it at a decibels level high enough to make a dolphin wince. That'll show him.

No. I just asked him where the rest of his squad are.

RasTa wrote: »
    Since it's release has GTA5 been out of the top 10 in sales for US NPD. Surely it's not the same over in Europe considering the game is 5 years old

I can't see Red Dead doing as well.

My guess is like Gone With The Wind box office take, because of timing etc it might never be beaten when inflation is factored in (GWTW had the advantage of being in cinemas for about 6 years plus multiple reruns). Absolutely wonderful game as is GWTW a movie, but the timing was absolutely perfect (though probably somewhat of a fluke) in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

As for the rest of your comment, it would be nice to have a discussion about consoles without this unnecessary vitriol. Most people on here love games, sadly some seem to just just love a company. I want MS to succeed, I want great exclusives for my One but it is not the case. And it's a shame that Xbox offers so little.

Pot and kettle comes to mind......

As a gamer though it seems quite petty.

Do you congratulate the maker of every indie game when it sells well. It's a ridiculous mindset to have. Can we not have a discussion without petty jabs and digs.
    I didn't think I'd find anyone who would begrudge a small indie studio success. We need more successful indie games and we are starting to see that more often which is awesome.

Where did I begrudge the MS backed studio their success? We've had successful indie games for a decade now, games like Gone Home, Firewatch and a thousand other indie titles have been huge successes, in fact I play and support far more indie devs than first party ones as it's where my interest lies. If you think that SoD2 is some indie wonder then play more games. Actually, were you not saying before that GWG was better than PS+ because all Sony offered were indie titles?
    Outselling GOW is quite a feat. I expected May/June to be heavily dominated by GOW.

They provide no figures, if it out sold GoW then fair play but given that after 2 weeks it only had a player base of 2 million including gamepass the claims in that article are hard to take seriously. MS don't release digital sales figures, nor do they boxed sales. Most Xbox sales figures are based on shipped copies so unless stores have reported sales directly and figures are provided then I don't believe that it outsold GoW. Why have MS refused to release the actual sales figures if it is such a behometh.

EoinHef wrote:
    Pot and kettle comes to mind......

Where have I used any vitriol or attacked anyone? Am I not allowed discuss something I'm a civil manner. I take it that you have reported my vitriolic comments to the mods and not simply posted to get a dig in.

Where have I used any vitriol or attacked anyone? Am I not allowed discuss something I'm a civil manner. I take it that you have reported my vitriolic comments to the mods and not simply posted to get a dig in.

I dont see much vitriol in failsafes comments tbh. I think your looking to be offended.

And the part i quoted also has you saying people shouldnt allign with companies,when you clearly have a preference for Sony. I mean its yourself and failsafe every time.

Numerous other threads its constant defending of Sony.

I have no preference, I have both consoles and all I want the best from both. I just don't like seeing people sharing misinformation and deliberately trying to bend facts to suit an agenda. If you look at my posts I'm playing devils advocate.

Where does saying I want the best from my Xbox show I have a preference, surely it's the opposite if anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Where does saying I want the best from my Xbox show I have a preference, surely it's the opposite if anything.

Tbf, Failsafe always says the same thing about the PS4...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,274 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's basically the "Some of my best friends are black" defence :pac:

I want MS to come out strong, Sony have been lazy as hell this gen coasting by on the fact they are winning. Sony are always at their best when the underdog, look at the line up of PS3 titles they released and it's exceptional. Classic after classic and while this gen has seen some great first party titles from Sony there's been a drought of wonderful oddities. All those mental Japanese oddities that Sony brought over are absent this gen and it's a shame and largely down to the fact that Sony don't need to try as MS aren't trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

EoinHef wrote: »
    I dont see much vitriol in failsafes comments tbh. I think your looking to be offended.

And the part i quoted also has you saying people shouldnt allign with companies,when you clearly have a preference for Sony. I mean its yourself and failsafe every time.

Agree 100%. Everytime I see Darko post he's either talking up Sony, deflecting from their short comings or running down the positives of Microsoft.

To be frank it's tiresome.

Paypal have closed the account of the Active Shooters dev down: https://www.cnet.com/au/news/paypal-shuts-down-account-of-active-shooter-video-game/

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    EoinHef wrote: »

Agree 100%. Everytime I see Darko post he's either talking up Sony, deflecting from their short comings or running down the positives of Microsoft.

To be frank it's tiresome.

You are welcome to ignore me using the option on boards if you don't like seeing me discuss the state of gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You are welcome to ignore me using the option on boards if you don't like seeing me discuss the state of gaming.

I've been on this site a long time and I haven't had to ignore anyone yet, but defending Sony is not discussing the state of gaming.

You spent a few days defending Sony last week over the Fortnight fiasco. Since then it has emerged that the whole thing was over money. You haven't posted in relation to that since? If you were impartial you would have discussed it.

Playing devils advocate and offering an alternate reason isn't taking a side. As someone who works in the gaming industry and has worked in ToS for one of the big publishers, I merely pointed out a couple of reasons why cross play is not as easy as just pressing a button. My main point in that thread was that if Epic wanted to help people out they could easily do so, but so far they have done nothing to help their player base beyond say there is nothing they can do.

As for saying that it was all about the money, there's still no actual proof that it is and as I said in that thread, if Epic signed an agreement with Sony restricting accounts across multiple platforms then that is on Epic. All we have is a tweet from someone who used to work there from Sony saying its about money and I've never said it isn't about but offering alternates and not jumping on a bandwagon isn't taking a side

Edit: just to add, why has no one attacked Epic or MS for not allowing V bucks to be transferred across platform.

I have no preference, I have both consoles and all I want the best from both. I just don't like seeing people sharing misinformation and deliberately trying to bend facts to suit an agenda. If you look at my posts I'm playing devils advocate.

You just tried to manipulate perception around failsafes posts saying their full of vitriol. Your bending what he actaully posted to suit what i can only think is an agenda.

I dont add people to ignore lists on forums,i dont like the idea of being in echo chambers.

As others have said,its just tiresome seeing the same people at it time and again.

Anyway,ill leave it there. Dont want to be filling more pages with this stuff.

EoinHef wrote:
    You just tried to manipulate perception around failsafes posts saying their full of vitriol. Your bending what he actaully posted to suit what i can only think is an agenda.

Never said that, please stop making things up. I merely referenced things like the image posted and some of the comments.

RasTa wrote:
    Who in the world doesn't own a copy of GTA5 these days?

Just bought a copy this evening to see if I can finally finish it.

• TitianGerm wrote: »
    I've been on this site a long time and I haven't had to ignore anyone yet, but defending Sony is not discussing the state of gaming.

You spent a few days defending Sony last week over the Fortnight fiasco. Since then it has emerged that the whole thing was over money. You haven't posted in relation to that since? If you were impartial you would have discussed it.

This

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

TitianGerm wrote: »

Also this

This

I actually looked to see if I had missed some news story about the Fortnite thing being about the money but all I can find is a tweet from a possibly disgruntled ex employee. Do you or anyone else have a link to any proof that this is simply about money and that there are no other factors involved or are you simply jumping on the bandwagon to try and prove something about evil corporations? Until there's actual proof of something I'm not going attacking anyone and accusing them of something. I never even defended Sony, I just offered alternates rather than jump on the bandwagon and get angry over a situation that I don't know anything more about than idle speculation.

Anyone who read my comments on the issue would see that I place most of the blame for this on Epic. If they signed an agreement with Sony restricting the transfer of accounts once associated with a PSN account then this entire debacle is 100% Epic fault and issue to resolve. So far their only comment has been "we can't do anything," they have not even offered to transfer unlocks to a separate account or offered their user base any help. I wonder if it was a similar issue with an EA title would gamers be so behind them and instantly blame a third party?

• Advertisement

• Lol an ex Sony dev
    The vast majority of everyone who have followed the story and the majority of the game media and journalists

You genuinely must be the only person who cannot see this for what it really is

And what's the rant about 'evil cooperations'? :P

This even made CNN business news

Advertisement