Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

gimli2112 wrote: »
    It's cross play on the PC and PSN? Is that not just carnage with PSN bodies strewn across the battleground? You wouldn't have a hope against kb&m. This doesn't sound like any kind of fun.

Its cross play with everything on PC pretty much, nothing more disappointing than going against someone in the final circle only to find out hes a console player, or even worse, a mobile player. They always look so lost and slow, Its swatting a moth for the win.

It's why ive kinda given up on the game, i always get down to the final 5 in every game and only really ever get beaten by someone if they are crazy hot at building. There is never any real sense of danger, it doesnt get the blood pumping like in PUBG.

Its also why alot of streamers get some crazy kill counts and pull off some great snipes, the majority of their targets are console/mobile players who stand still a lot :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Penn wrote: »
    I don't see the issue either, really. Ultimately, when the majority of people signed up to play Fortnite on PS4, cross-play wasn't a feature, which means people played on PS4 knowing that. Just because cross-play has been introduced for other platforms doesn't mean Sony is suddenly the bad guy for not allowing it, as cross-play is more the exception than the norm, and if Sony started allowing cross-play, there goes one of the PS4's biggest selling points (more PS4 gamers worldwide means more likely your friends are on PS4 means if you want to play online with them, you need to buy a PS4) and people would start arguing for cross-play in every game.

That said, I do think Sony should allow moving your account and non-PS exclusive skins to other platforms, even if they're not going to allow cross-play. Even just as a PR move at this point as it's garnered a lot of negative attention and wouldn't take much to release people's Epic accounts from PS if they want to move it to another system, or flip-flop between the two. It would make very little difference to Sony at this point.

You missing a point m8.

If you did played even once on ps4, your epic account becomes locked to ps4 and you can't use it on xbox or switch. You need new email and new account.
    I stupidly played few matches on ps4 to see how it works on console and then bought xbox one x. I cant use my account even if I want fresh one. I cant opt out too, even if it will delete all progress on ps4. I was forced to make brand new email and epic account so I can play on my xbox and switch.

If sony does not want cross play, then more power to them, but at least warn people or let people delete their ps4 Fortnite epic accounts so you can go to other platforms.

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    I don't know why I'm getting dragged into this again, I debated you on the Fortnite thread and decided that you would never see past your bias so dropped out but here we go again.
    If Sony made Epic sign something to say that Epic accounts were locked to a PS4 profile and they had to stay that way, then surely they also imposed a clause saying that Epic would be in breach of contract if they used a workaround for this? So, Epic wouldn't be able to fix this for people, even if they wanted to.
    But let's assume for a while that Epic can fix this. The only way it could be done would be for every Switch user to create a new Epic account, then contact Epic to migrate all the content from the old account to the new one. Users would also have to prove somehow that they own the old account and the new one, or else all the chancers would come pouring out of the woodwork.
    When they have this information, then Epic would have to move all purchases and levelling data from the old account to the new. With thousands of users looking for this, it may take days or weeks to migrate everyone over and hopefully Epic don't mix up any accounts on the way.
    Job done, right?
    No.
    What happens to the old account then? If Epic close that account, the user can't play on the PS4 any more. By Sony's rules, that account is still locked to the PSN profile, so you now have two accounts forking in different directions. What happens when the user plays for a few days on the Switch and makes some purchases? What happens if they level up on the PS4 and go back to the Switch to find that those levels haven't been migrated over? Do they contact Epic again to migrate these back and forth between accounts? That's unsustainable.

Even if all of the above were possible, why should the consumer go to all this trouble to get around Sony's BS? Why should Epic absorb the cost and the hassle of it and risk the ire of Sony, who they may have contracts signed with for future ventures?
    Even if Epic were being anti consumer by signing that contract in the first place, Sony are doubling down on it by sticking their head in the sand and hoping that it goes away.

Note that I did not mention cross play once in the above - cross play is a different argument altogether. A lot of people don't care about cross play on the Switch, they only want to have their purchases and levels available on the different devices. Sony should release the Epic accounts so that users can simply sign into other devices and continue from where they left off. Then the cross play debate can begin.

No jumping on a bandwagon or playing devil's advocate isn't having a bias.

The solution to this is as I have said numerous times for Epic do a one-time goodwill gesture of moving unlocks and levels to a second account that the user can use on the Switch. They don't need to do anything more and if the user starts upgrading the level and wants it moved to PS4 or Switch then a blanket no should be enforced. Defending Epic doing nothing as why should they absorb the cost is a ridiculous argument, especially when you consider that they are earning $250 million plug a month from the game. Also, the only cost invovled would be in having Epic employees granting new content which many of them do on a daily basis when users have issues with games.

When it comes to content such as unlocks and levels, Sony would have very little if any oversight on this as they do not store that information on their servers. For a game like Fortnite, ingame items, levels, unlocks etc will be stored by Epic. The same way that EA store all FIFA related ingame content linked to individual accounts, the same way that Activisions store all the information relating to weapons that you unlock in Destiny. As such they have the ability to grant content to their users, instead, their whole thing since this began has been to do nothing and pass the buck playing the victim.

Sony may be dicks for tieing the account to the PS4 but no one forced Epic to agree to it. At the end of the day Epic made a deal with Sony to get their game on the system and in doing so appear to have agreed to a number of anti-consumer clauses, the only people to blame here are Epic as they clearly had no issue screwing their users over in order to make some money.

You missing a point m8.

If you did played even once on ps4, your epic account becomes locked to ps4 and you can't use it on xbox or switch. You need new email and new account.
    I stupidly played few matches on ps4 to see how it works on console and then bought xbox one x. I cant use my account even if I want fresh one. I cant opt out too, even if it will delete all progress on ps4. I was forced to make brand new email and epic account so I can play on my xbox and switch.

If sony does not want cross play, then more power to them, but at least warn people or let people delete their ps4 Fortnite epic accounts so you can go to other platforms.

If you ever played on the Xbox or Switch, even once then you need a new Epic account to play on the PS4. And surely it is Epic's responsibility to warn their customers and not Sony or Xbox or Nintendo for that matter?

If you ever played on the Xbox or Switch, even once then you need a new Epic account to play on the PS4. And surely it is Epic's responsibility to warn their customers and not Sony or Xbox or Nintendo for that matter?

Sony is the one who took its toys out of sandbox and fecked off showing everyone a finger. We are the ones cought. If sony would be reasonable, then there would be no issue it the first place and you wouldn't need to warn people about **** like this.
    As I said, let Sony do its thing, just give me my account back.

• Advertisement

Sony is the one who took its toys out of sandbox and fecked off showing everyone a finger. We are the ones cought. If sony would be reasonable, then there would be no issue it the first place and you wouldn't need to warn people about **** like this.
    As I said, let Sony do its thing, just give me my account back.

You shouldn't have to warn people but if you do then it is epic's responsibility to do so. When I contacted them awhile back about issues with linking my PS4 account to the one I had for PC and Xbox they pretty much told me that "it is working as intended and there is nothing we can do to facilitate the linking of accounts." Why did MS not warn me that when I played Fortnite on my Xbox One that I would be restricted in linking my PS4 account to the same account.

If you want your account back then I would be getting onto Epic and asking them to move your content and remove the PS4 from it. It's a crappy situation but Epic were quite happy to let all this happen as it meant that they got to make hundreds of millions in profit from PS4 users.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

You missing a point m8.

I didn't miss that point at all, and I completely agree. That's why I said if they're not going to allow cross-play they should at least let people unlock their accounts from PSN to use on different platforms.

I would say the onus would have been on Epic rather than Sony to warn players their account would be locked to PSN as it's a warning within the game and regarding their Epic account rather than their PSN account. Regardless, Epic clearly want players to be able to move their accounts between platforms and the onus is now on Sony to help facilitate that.

You shouldn't have to warn people but if you do then it is epic's responsibility to do so. When I contacted them awhile back about issues with linking my PS4 account to the one I had for PC and Xbox they pretty much told me that "it is working as intended and there is nothing we can do to facilitate the linking of accounts." Why did MS not warn me that when I played Fortnite on my Xbox One that I would be restricted in linking my PS4 account to the same account.

If you want your account back then I would be getting onto Epic and asking them to move your content and remove the PS4 from it. It's a crappy situation but Epic were quite happy to let all this happen as it meant that they got to make hundreds of millions in profit from PS4 users.

Thats horse shit, if playstation are the ones making the decision to be awkward about cross play, then it should be them that need to warn people and help them resolve issues relating to their horse shit restriction.

Not Xbox or Epic or mobile, they want the cross play, PS are the ones being greedy gits. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Saying nobody fotced Epic to agree to lock accounts Playstation is just wrong.

Epic had two choices:

1. Agree to Sony terms and lock accounts
    2. Get their game blocked for release on the console until they agreed to Sony terms.

Blaming Epic is wrong on this case. Not releasing the game or pulling it from the system is not an option. Sony on the other hand can change their terms. The ball is in their court. They are totally in the wrong.

nix wrote: »
    Thats horse shit, if playstation are the ones making the decision to be awkward about cross play, then it should be them that need to warn people and help them resolve issues relating to their horse shit restriction.

Not Xbox or Epic or mobile, they want the cross play, PS are the ones being greedy gits. :rolleyes:

Why do MS not need to warn users that their Xbox account cannot be played on the PS4, surely they have a duty of care to their users to let them know that an Xbox account content cannot be transferred to a PS4?

Also let's be honest here and not try and paint MS or Nintendo as some champion of the people, MS had no interest in cross-play with PS4 till this current gen turned out to be a bit of a mess for them. MS do not have your best interests at heart, nor do Sony and if the roles were reversed then Xbox would be doing exactly what Sony are. Remember that MS were the ones who didn't even want you being able to share your games with friends not too long ago.

Neither Sony or MS care about gamers, all they care about is making money

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Saying nobody fotced Epic to agree to lock accounts Playstation is just wrong.

Epic had two choices:

1. Agree to Sony terms and lock accounts
    2. Get their game blocked for release on the console until they agreed to Sony terms.

Blaming Epic is wrong on this case. Not releasing the game or pulling it from the system is not an option. Sony on the other hand can change their terms. The ball is in their court. They are totally in the wrong.

That is like saying that if Paramount releases a Blu-Ray that once played on a Sony machine is locked to that brand due to a deal with Sony then it is up to Sony to add a warning to the blu-ray warning the user and that Paramount can't be blamed for taking an anti-consumer stance as they would lose money otherwise?

If Epic agreed to something that limited the ability to move accounts and then opted to say nothing or issue any warnings then they screwed up. Sure Sony are acting like total dicks right now but they are not doing anything that Epic did not agree to.

I think Sony are being cock wombles in this whole thing but also think that Epic are just as much to blame. You cannot make a deal which is anti your user base knowing the full contect of what will occur and then when caught out do nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Saw Remember Me mentioned in a thread here a day or two ago and I remember really enjoying it despite the luke-warm reviews it got. Thought the way you could create custom combos was a cool gimmick.

Anyone have games they really liked that were critically panned/ignored?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Sony have got progressively worse this gen. Only major advantage they have at this point is exclusives. In a lot of other areas they come up short.

EA access,backwards compatibility,game pass all look great on Xbox.

Then you have Nintendo which has its own bunch of good exclusives. Lack of 3rd party support is where they fall down for me though.

Sony are in danger of losing support in the long run imo,just look at what happened to MS when they coasted to the end of the 360's life.

I bet you even if epic wants to, Sony wont allow epic to put in game a massive banner, which will say: If you play on ps4 now, you forever locked out from xbox and switch. I have no problem xbox having same banner too.
    Its a day and age where people usually don't lock themselves to one gaming platform. Specifically when switch is such a fantastic companion console to compliment what ever home console or pc you have. I bet you if that banner would be up, a lot of people would not had made accounts on ps4. I know I wouldn't.

In my opinion we live in age where console war is at its mildest. Damn, even Nintendo on board with cross play! They are printing ****ing money right now and they still decided to go with consumer friendly tactic! Sony just droped a massive **** on whole concept.
    In the end of the day, they only damaged their own rep. Gamers will remember this and next time they will be between ps5 xbox "whatever", they will have another aspect to weigh in on.
    I personally extremely happy now that I went to upgrade my xbox one to x, instead of ps4 to pro. Plan was still to get pro this year for xmas, but instead I will get xbox elite controller and a good headset.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Sony have got progressively worse this gen. Only major advantage they have at this point is exclusives. In a lot of other areas they come up short.

EA access,backwards compatibility,game pass all look great on Xbox.

Then you have Nintendo which has its own bunch of good exclusives. Lack of 3rd party support is where they fall down for me though.

Sony are in danger of losing support in the long run imo,just look at what happened to MS when they coasted to the end of the 360's life.

Sony needs to be knocked down a couple of pegs, they are always at their best when the underdog. When the 360 was dominating the gaming market the PS3 was an absolute gem of a machine with Sony doing everything they could to come out on top. Look at the line of titles on the PS3 and even now as good as the PS4 has been it's lagging way behind the PS3. We've seen very few oddities in recent years and hopefully MS can bring a challenge that shakes Sony up a little.

I don't see EA Access being that much of a MS selling point soon as EA were showcasing their EA streaming service which works on all apps at E3 and it appears to not just work but work very well.
    https://www.cnet.com/news/i-saw-a-live-demo-of-eas-new-cloud-gaming-service-and-it-totally-works/

A bit late and off topic, but if you can go and see him live, then do it. He is fantastic and great crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Like the Sligo of the ps forums

Ps now talking about allowing games to be downloaded apparently as the system they have for ps now runs like crap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

J. Marston wrote: »

Also Remember Me. And:

220px-Wet_game.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Saw Remember Me mentioned in a thread here a day or two ago and I remember really enjoying it despite the luke-warm reviews it got. Thought the way you could create custom combos was a cool gimmick.

In the (varying levels of) critically acclaimed yet sold **** all category, some of my personal nominees would be Clive Barker's Undying, Psi-Ops, Freespace 2 and, for reasons I'll never understand, Max Payne 2.

More modern entries would be Vanquish and Mirror's Edge which I'd feel as strongly about but they tend to be discussed more frequently as a result of their age.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I adored Nier. It didn't review that well.... and to be honest most reviews were spot in. It's massively flawed but it's the best 7/10 game you will ever play.

Also really enjoyed Rule of Rose. Got panned by critics and rightfully so. The combat is dreadful but the story and atmosphere made up for it.

Why do MS not need to warn users that their Xbox account cannot be played on the PS4, surely they have a duty of care to their users to let them know that an Xbox account content cannot be transferred to a PS4?

I'm not saying that, slap it in the FAQ section of course, but to actively try and highlight the issue to playstation customers, that should fall solely to Sony. It needs to be something the playstation players actively accept and not in a way where its buried in some T&C's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Singularity, Volume, Rain Silent Hill: Downpour and I am Alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Well a very similar example is God Hand. Has the custom combo stuff and is a really great game about punching people. Got a 3.0 from IGN.

Thing is they weren't completely wrong that it's kind of a 'bad' game. But it's also kind of a great game which is the unfortunate thing about numbers really.

Nier is another good call. Definitely a 6 or a 7 if you want to break it down in a really clinical way. But it has some of the most wonderful characters in a video game and a beautiful soundtrack. Automata fell a bit short here for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Like the Sligo of the ps forums

Ps now talking about allowing games to be downloaded apparently as the system they have for ps now runs like crap

What are you doing posting gaming news here?
    Isn't this the fortnite thread? :)

I'm not saying that, slap it in the FAQ section of course, but to actively try and highlight the issue to playstation customers, that should fall solely to Sony. It needs to be something the playstation players actively accept and not in a way where its buried in some T&C's.

If there is a restriction in place then it needs to be there when you launch the game on all consoles. You should be forced to agree to a notice telling you that they are restricting your content when you first launch the game.

If there is a restriction in place then it needs to be there when you launch the game on all consoles. You should be forced to agree to a notice telling you that they are restricting your content when you first launch the game.

No just the PlayStation, as they are the only platform restricting it.

If you're playing on xbox first and then go to play on playstation you would be given the prompt about the restriction and can then make your decision which platform you want to go with..

If you're playing on the PS first then you are informed upon creating the account and will know going forward it wont carry over to xbox etc

But we know this wont happen :D

IGN got God Hand so badly wrong. But then again it was IGN.

nix wrote:
    If you're playing on xbox first and then go to play on playstation you would be given the prompt about the restriction and can then make your decision which platform you want to go with..

You mean what happens when you start on Xbox and move to PS4 is the same as when you start on PS4 and move to Xbox. As such both systems need something and far as I am concerned MS need to give you a pop telling you that if you start on the One you can't transfer or use the account on the PS4.

Can't complain about Sony not doing it while letting MS off for letting customers run into the same issue.

The Playstation version launched months ago. Before a Switch version was even planned. Hard to put in a disclaimer then when you don't know what future versions there will be.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The Playstation version launched months ago. Before a Switch version was even planned. Hard to put in a disclaimer then when you don't know what future versions there will be.

Considering that this issue was there since launch day in regards to moving accounts to or from the Xbox or PS4 a disclaimer should have been there for both platforms from day one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

marcbrophy wrote: »
    What are you doing posting gaming news here?
    Isn't this the fortnite thread? :)

Lol

Advertisement