Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Combat improves as you upgrade your character, it's a slog at the start but the more you level up the better it becomes. Still a long way from perfect bit not the complete cluster bomb some think it is.

Ah ok, I stopped following that thread a few days after release in case of spoilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm on chapter 5 of 6, haven't killed a single person yet and I love the combat, I've maxed my stamina so I'm constantly zipping around the place. Stamina is way more important and fun than the flashy moves.

Read what I posted, what needed to be done was...
    ...for Sony to notify their customers that they had intentionally restricted a game that's popularity in part comes from being based on cross platform play. That's it. That's all there is to it.

Billy86 wrote:
    ...for Sony to notify their customers that they had intentionally restricted a game that's popularity in part comes from being based on cross platform play. That's it. That's all there is to it.

Why did Epic not do it? Instead they said nothing and let their users get screwed over. Sony may have enforced it but Epic were complicit and never bothered to let anyone know. They are to blame here and so far their only response has been " not us".

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The Wii was great for underrated or overlooked/forgotten titles:
    The Conduit
    MadWorld
    House of the Dead Overkill
    Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands (Completely different from the PS360 versions, which I may have mentioned before :))
    Zack & Wiki

Then ones I've played on PS3 that may fall into this category
    Prince of Persia 2008
    Avatar. Not just a good movie based game, but I found it good overall. And pretty much 2 games in 1 as get to choose a bit into the game whether to join the and play as a Na'vi against the humans or join the humans against the Na'vi.

• Advertisement

• Love to see MadWorld brought to the Switch

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

J. Marston wrote: »
    Saw Remember Me mentioned in a thread here a day or two ago and I remember really enjoying it despite the luke-warm reviews it got. Thought the way you could create custom combos was a cool gimmick.

Anyone have games they really liked that were critically panned/ignored?

One of my fav games of that generation imo, if Id listened to the reviews Id never have touched it:

51DE9NX89ZL.jpg

The pseudo-sequel to MadWorld, Anarchy Reigns, was good fun as well but there was a lot of grinding

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I see PS2 games have gone up in price in CEX since the last time I checked. I remember them selling for 2-5 euro now the are 20+ euro.

Why did Epic not do it? Instead they said nothing and let their users get screwed over. Sony may have enforced it but Epic were complicit and never bothered to let anyone know. They are to blame here and so far their only response has been " not us".
    Translation: "yeah it's Sony's fault but I blame Epic and think they should take the flak instead".

Get off of that nonsense. It's on Sony. I don't care about loyalty to a brand. This is on Sony. There is a reason nobody agrees with you on this. And it's not that we hate Sony or have an irrational loyalty to Epic Games (I don't even have any interest in playing Fortnite for free).

• Advertisement

Don't know whether to put it here or in the news thread, but it looks like the actual real Steam sale is on Fanatical - https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/8t1l1r/fanatical_red_hot_sale_day_2_steam_games_on_sale/

The official Steam sale, just like last year, has thus far been woefully and somewhat expectedly underwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Billy86 wrote: »
    Don't know whether to put it here or in the news thread, but it looks like the actual real Steam sale is on Fanatical - https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/8t1l1r/fanatical_red_hot_sale_day_2_steam_games_on_sale/

The official Steam sale, just like last year, has thus far been woefully and somewhat expectedly underwhelming.

Sadly, its been poor for the last few years. I used to love them and made it a mission to check the deals everyday at 6pm, now its just disappointment.

nix wrote: »
    Sadly, its been poor for the last few years. I used to love them and made it a mission to check the deals everyday at 6pm, now its just disappointment.

I got really excited last year with it being my first Steam sale (hadn't played games or owned a console/PC for a decade before that) and with all the hype of how insanely cheap it all was. I'm usually fairly pragmatic and a bit pessimistic so I have to say as far as expectations-vs-reality, that legitimately was one of the biggest letdowns I have ever come across. :o

Bought Portal 2 for €2. That was it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think the issue of Steam sales and overlooked games kinda tie in together - there's a real issue with discovery these days. Granted, I'm coming at this as someone who is increasingly into some of the experimental sides of the indie scene - some of the games would be uphill battling for attention regardless - but there's a lot of noise out there these days, and I find it hard to dig out the stuff I'm interested in.

I picked up Bokida - Heartfelt Reunion (which is very much my kinda jam) on sale yesterday, but the only reason I'd heard of it is because I just happened to stumble across an enthusiastic review of it on Rock Paper Shotgun a few months ago. Only found out Chuchel had been released several weeks after the fact, despite being quite interested in the studio that made it. A few of the more interesting games I've played over the last few years - Naissance (easily the most pleasant surprise I've had playing a game in years), Echo, Anatomy, Oikospiel, Islands: Non-Places, The Norwood Suite - I reckon I could well have missed if I didn't follow a particular person on Twitter or seen it mentioned in an article somewhere.

I think a lot of these sort of games might, if they're lucky, get an article or two on some sites, and a bit of traction from certain corners of Twitter... but definitely think you need to be actively keep an eye out otherwise a lot of them will easily pass you by. There's obvious benefits to Steam being more open, but it's also a shame to have lost some of that curation and quality control. Thankfully there's itch.io filling the gap a bit... but yeah still regularly get the feeling I'm missing some of the stuff that might appeal to me sometimes due to Twitter's algorithm deciding what tweet I get to see on a particular day!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The last thing steam needs is more curation, it's the developers job to publicize their game not valves

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

While the WHO report raised this is in a responsible and reasonable way, the true horror of video game addiction is now brought to you by the Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5876363/NHS-addiction-clinic-launches-people-addicted-online-computer-games.html

The clinic will help adults and children with gaming disorders, with children as young as nine needing help for addictions to violent video games such as Fortnite.

In recent weeks fears have grown over computer games such as Fortnite, with the parents of a nine-year-old girl speaking of their horror as she stayed up until 5am and wet herself to avoid taking a break from the game.

While experts disagree on the severity of gaming disorders, some studies suggest as many as 50 per cent of video game players may be affected.

Fortnite alone has more than 125 million players worldwide, with parents claiming it turns normally placid children into gun-obsessed thugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I bought bayonetta and vanquish in the steam sale for a total of €13.50,there are some bargains there.

Certains games dont really appear on the grey market so steam sales are still good for those type of games.

Billy86 wrote:
    Translation: "yeah it's Sony's fault but I blame Epic and think they should take the flak instead".

Billy86 wrote:
    Get off of that nonsense. It's on Sony. I don't care about loyalty to a brand. This is on Sony. There is a reason nobody agrees with you on this. And it's not that we hate Sony or have an irrational loyalty to Epic Games (I don't even have any interest in playing Fortnite for free).

I am blaming both, I think Sony are dicks for it but also that Epic knowing full well what would happen should have warned their users.

You cannot make a deal with a company that seriously affects your users and then say nothing. Epic could have and should have had a disclaimer on the game warning people who made their main account on the PSN that their data was tide to it could not be moved.

Epic were hand on hand with Sony on this. You cannot agree to an anticonsumer policy and then hold your hands up later and say not us. Epic could and should have warned the user base. I wonder of this was EA in place of Epic would everyone be so fast to say it's all Sony.

Sony are at fault, never said they were not but Epic are just as culpable. You simply cannot allow a third party to do what has happened here, tell no one and then play the victim.

So what we are saying is that a publisher such as Epic, EA, Activision, Ubisoft and so on can sign a deal with Sony or another platform holder which restricts accounts for certain games to a specific platform even though on others it can be transferred. They can then say nothing about said restriction to their user base, no warning or disclaimer and when it comes out months and months later that publisher is not to be blamed in any way shape or form as it's the big bad platform holder and not the people who agreed to this restriction and then stayed quiet

• Advertisement

So what we are saying is that a publisher such as Epic, EA, Activision, Ubisoft and so on can sign a deal with Sony or another platform holder which restricts accounts for certain games to a specific platform even though on others it can be transferred. They can then say nothing about said restriction to their user base, no warning or disclaimer and when it comes out months and months later that publisher is not to be blamed in any way shape or form as it's the big bad platform holder and not the people who agreed to this restriction and then stayed quiet

So far on the Steam sale I've bought nothing of note, a couple of small games to play at lunch but there's just too much stiff on Steam that finding a rare gem is next to impossible these days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

What a pack of cants Sony are!! Just catching up with this as I don't really play Fortnite, reading the past few pages was fun lol

Was Epic supposed to say no, take a stand and not release the game on Playstation or what? What about the poor folk that only use a Playstation for their games? I only use an Xbox to play games on, nothing else. No Fortnite for them if that was the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

EoinHef wrote: »
    Sony have got progressively worse this gen. Only major advantage they have at this point is exclusives. In a lot of other areas they come up short.

EA access,backwards compatibility,game pass all look great on Xbox.

Then you have Nintendo which has its own bunch of good exclusives. Lack of 3rd party support is where they fall down for me though.

Sony are in danger of losing support in the long run imo,just look at what happened to MS when they coasted to the end of the 360's life.

Sony will continue to dominate for the next decade. "the only major advantage they have is exclusives"

Well isn't that the reason for buying a console in the first place? Although maybe I'm out of touch as have zero interest in any online gaming since Quake 2 so PS4 is perfect for me.

Imagine not playing SOTC, the horror.

Next up for games is Nintendo but not enough to justify a purchase.

Xbox got nothing imo gaming wise but some people like the online stuff.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    While the WHO report raised this is in a responsible and reasonable way, the true horror of video game addiction is now brought to you by the Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5876363/NHS-addiction-clinic-launches-people-addicted-online-computer-games.html

The clinic will help adults and children with gaming disorders, with children as young as nine needing help for addictions to violent video games such as Fortnite.

In recent weeks fears have grown over computer games such as Fortnite, with the parents of a nine-year-old girl speaking of their horror as she stayed up until 5am and wet herself to avoid taking a break from the game.

While experts disagree on the severity of gaming disorders, some studies suggest as many as 50 per cent of video game players may be affected.

Fortnite alone has more than 125 million players worldwide, with parents claiming it turns normally placid children into gun-obsessed thugs.

If only there was someone in the girl's life that would tell her what she can and can't do. Some kind of parental figure. Now who could take on that responsibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

CastorTroy wrote: »
    If only there was someone in the girl's life that would tell her what she can and can't do. Some kind of parental figure. Now who could take on that responsibility?

Cesar Millan? :pac:

CastorTroy wrote:

The RTE News report on it is amazing, a lad who plays 7-10 hours a week and tells us how he is no addicted but thinks others can be. My little brother is 10 and loves Fortnite, he gets to play a couple hours at the weekend and then its off. My parents control his access to the console, he can only play online f he is playing alongside one of us and after an hour, maybe two tops the PlayStation is turned off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I'd easily go for Xbox over Nintendo if I go for another console. Nintendo at E3 had NOTHING. It's pretty much a Wii U emulator with a few exeptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

RasTa wrote: »
    Sony will continue to dominate for the next decade. "the only major advantage they have is exclusives"

Well isn't that the reason for buying a console in the first place? Although maybe I'm out of touch as have zero interest in any online gaming since Quake 2 so PS4 is perfect for me.

Imagine not playing SOTC, the horror.

Next up for games is Nintendo but not enough to justify a purchase.

Xbox got nothing imo gaming wise but some people like the online stuff.

Sure exclusives are a selling point,id 100% agree. But its far from the only one.

For me its about where my mates play. Ive played a few exclusives from sony and while there good im just not really into the like of Uncharted these days,im a mostly online player.

So for me,the exclusives only add a certain amount of appeal to the platform.

Sony thought they had the gen won before they released the PS3,look at how long it then took them to recover.

Confidence is good,over confidence is bad.

Just my 2 cent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Nintendo at E3 had NOTHING. It's pretty much a Wii U emulator with a few exeptions.

Not really, it's better in every way than that disaster of a console and has a better library in 15 months than what that console had in over 4 years. With plenty of games in the pipeline too.

Their E3 was lacking a bit though in terms of showing what's coming up.

Advertisement