Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

The RTE News report on it is amazing, a lad who plays 7-10 hours a week and tells us how he is no addicted but thinks others can be. My little brother is 10 and loves Fortnite, he gets to play a couple hours at the weekend and then its off. My parents control his access to the console, he can only play online f he is playing alongside one of us and after an hour, maybe two tops the PlayStation is turned off.

It's a pity they don't control your access to this website with the same enthusiasm

It's a pity they don't control your access to this website with the same enthusiasm

Oh look another sad individual whose upset because some people don't hop on the bandwagon like they do and then has to resort to insults and getting a dig in when they've nothing to add to a conversation.

I'd easily go for Xbox over Nintendo if I go for another console. Nintendo at E3 had NOTHING. It's pretty much a Wii U emulator with a few exeptions.

The Switch is great, the catalogue of titles available is fantastic and indie devs are making the most of it. If you've not had a chance to, I'd recommend borrowing one for a weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Not really, it's better in every way than that disaster of a console and has a better library in 15 months than what that console had in over 4 years. With plenty of games in the pipeline too.

Their E3 was lacking a bit though in terms of showing what's coming up.

I know but, most of that library are Wii U games and re releases of old stuff. I'd be interested in a few games, but there's not much coming in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I know but, most of that library are Wii U games and re releases of old stuff. I'd be interested in a few games, but there's not much coming in the future.

Nintendo stopped caring about e3 after the wii u debacle so I wouldn't gauge their console success on their showing at e3.

As for upcoming games, Smash will sell Switch consoles all on its own. And its out in December just in time for christmas. They know what they are doing. The switch will also have a new "core" pokemon game and Metroid 4 on the horizon. Pokemon is the highest grossing gaming franchise ever. Pokemon fans who don't own a switch will be getting one for sure.

These games may not be for you but they are for most people. The switch will be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Most of the library isn't Wii U games and re-releases though. There's plenty coming in the future, thinking otherwise is a bit foolish really.

Bayonetta 3
    Metroid Prime 4
    Yoshi
    Fire Emblem: Three Houses
    Mainline Pokémon RPG + Eevee and Pikachu Let's Go games
    Octopath Taveller
    Daemon X Machina
    New Smash Brothers
    and whatever Retro Studios is at.

is just a small few. The console is in fine shape. 2017 was hard to follow this year honestly, it was an excellent launch year, but they've done well enough all things considered. So much so that I've a backlog of games after gathering on the Switch.

EDIT: Didn't want to get into the 'list wars' nonsense above but the games are there with plenty more on the way too :D

It was still funny though. :P

Take a joke man.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Well this is hypnotic as ****. I'd love to give this a go, first time even hearing about Beat Saber.

The practice that would take is unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I really hope they try to push Metroid to be the absolute best it can be, Super Metroid on the SNES and to a slightly lesser extent the two Prime games on the Gamecube are among some of my favourites ever. 95%+ reviews for it would probably be enough to tip me over to buy the console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Oh look another sad individual whose upset because some people don't hop on the bandwagon like they do and then has to resort to insults and getting a dig in when they've nothing to add to a conversation.

Why are you attacking the poster and not the post?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Well this is hypnotic as ****. I'd love to give this a go, first time even hearing about Beat Saber.

It's being hyped to f**k in VR circles, to me it just looks like a slightly better version of Audioshield, which is not a good thing in my book :D

TitianGerm wrote:

Another fine post, is it not a little sad this obsession with following me from thread to thread to get a dig in simply because unlike yourself I'm not crying because a billion dollar company screwed their player base and then can't be bothered to help them.

Another fine post, is it not a little sad this obsession with following me from thread to thread to get a dig in simply because unlike yourself I'm not crying because a billion dollar company screwed their player base and then can't be bothered to help them.

Nobody is following you, you just appear to be everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

In regards to Wii U ports, they are new games for most people, as not a lot of people bought the Wii U. Now if you did buy a Wii U (like me), then the ports aren't all that interesting, but the fact is that for a lot of people they are for all intents and purposes brand new games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I always seen to be going away when SGDQ is on. A few good things in there, I'll mostly follow the YouTube

https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule
    uDBmP8u_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

I had a Wii U so no interest in those games again. 9 games isn't exactly a lot though, none of which interest me apart from maybe Metroid. I'm sure it'll be fine. Pokemon will sell to little kids in bucketloads.

Smash Brothers is an update of the Wii U game with new characters though, nothing new.

XBOX has a lot going for it now, gamepass, EA access, Backwards Compat plus it's a lot more powerful than switch and will therefore have a massive 3rd party selection. Happy enough with PS4 but if I was to choose, personally, Xbox would be a no brainer.

It isn't, it's a new game. There's new characters, movesets, mechanics, upgraded visuals, assist trophies, stages and items. And I'd be almost certain there'll be new modes during a Smash direct in the future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TitianGerm wrote: »

Mod note: OK, this is spilling out into multiple threads and indeed forums, and it's getting tiresome (and multiple posters are involved). It's clogging up several discussions. So enough is enough.

Will be having a chat with the other mods, and we'll be taking action against any more personalised digs or petty bickering.

Once again: if you don't like a poster, put them on ignore. If someone responds with a personal dig, report it rather than getting a dig in yourself.

Smash Bros 1.5 then. It's not a brand new game.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, multiple significant changes, new content and confirmed to be built from the ground up for Switch by Nintendo but we'll leave it at Smash 1.5 because I don't think you'll change your mind on it.

Never had any interest in Smash Bros anyway. There's nothing in their lineup grabbing me at the moment.

Never had any interest in Smash Bros anyway. There's nothing in their lineup grabbing me at the moment.

I'm the same with Smash, it's just not for me.

Octopath Traveller is going to be brilliant. I don't even like those games but after trying the demo it's a must buy. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the Game Of The Year awards in some shape.

They are saying it'll be 100 hours to complete.

I'll be buying Dark Souls and Pokémon as well and there's a good few Indies I'm keeping an eye on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

For anyone curious, that part you're looking to skip to is 4:25. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Good thing the existing great Switch games will continue to exist for new owners as well while the upcoming games continue to trickle out ;)

Switch had the most extraordinary year of any console in recent memory last year. This year was inevitably going to be slower because it simply wouldn't be possible to replicate 2017 again. That they still have a steady stream of cool exclusives (like Octopath Traveller), substantial DLC for the likes of Splatoon 2, massive indie support and two bonafide blockbusters before Christmas (regardless of your thoughts on Smash Bros or that new Pokemon thing, they're going to be big hits) is pretty good going, even if they could never hope to match the 'all in' hand they played last year.

I'd like to get one, but am wary after the Wii U. It was frankly a piece of ****. Just ass backwards. Not a fan of the ****ty amount of hard drive space on the switch, why do they insist on doing this? Their online sounds awful again. Are they seriously making you use your phone to chat online?

If they sorted out all that basic ****, I'd be on board again but those little things are insane in this day and age. Still using friend codes?

I'd like to get one, but am wary after the Wii U. It was frankly a piece of ****. Just ass backwards. Not a fan of the ****ty amount of hard drive space on the switch, why do they insist on doing this? Their online sounds awful again. Are they seriously making you use your phone to chat online?

If they sorted out all that basic ****, I'd be on board again but those little things are insane in this day and age. Still using friend codes?

The HDD is fairly low yeah especially if going all digital, I bought a 128gb card as soon as I could after getting my Switch.

I think chatting through the app might be optional soon, Fortnite doesn't require it but who knows about other games.

Friend codes are there as well as adding through social media too. No idea why friend codes made a return after not being needed on Wii U. Add by username should have been enough.

Nintendo take so many backwards steps they somehow manage to move forward. They're a strange company :D

I'm looking at that and all I can think of is this...

FancyLastAfricanhornbill-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Honestly as a Switch owner, I want more Wii U ports. They're easy to knock out and there are some high quality games that no-one really played because of the console they were on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Currently playing Full Throttle Remastered on the PS4. Love the main man in it.

Advertisement