Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

I'd like to get one, but am wary after the Wii U. It was frankly a piece of ****. Just ass backwards. Not a fan of the ****ty amount of hard drive space on the switch, why do they insist on doing this? Their online sounds awful again. Are they seriously making you use your phone to chat online?

I was put off after the abysmal failure of the Wii U but won over early on. I find it great for 30 minutes before bed or just lazing on the couch with. For the space just get a 120gb card and you're laughing but most games are so well compressed that it'll take you awhile yo fill it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I was put off after the abysmal failure of the Wii U but won over early on.

Yeah this is exactly why im holding off on getting a switch, they need to pump out a lot more games, i played zelda on the WiiU, so theres no real drive to get one cept Super Mario Odyssey, the rest is indy ****e i can get on the other platforms i already have (and cheaper). :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Well this is hypnotic as ****. I'd love to give this a go, first time even hearing about Beat Saber.

Well i bit the bullet and got it. It's amazing fun. And you would be surprised at how quickly you get good at it.....and how sweaty you get after 20 minutes of it. Maybe it'll make me fit.

You can download a mod that install itself and then adds a menu to the game so you can add in custom songs which is really cool.

I'd recommend it to anyone who has VR.
    I'm looking at that and all I can think of is this...

FancyLastAfricanhornbill-size_restricted.gif

Thats accurate. I look like a complete idiot waving about like that. Part of the fun. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The wii-u was actually a really good console, it was just 7 years too late. It went up against the ps3 and xbox 360, with vast back catalogues, just as both were getting ready to move to the next gen. It just couldn't get an install base in that climate.

The switch, even though it's under powered and on par with a Vita, it seems to have struck the right note with the portable and docked modes and the controller configurations. Plus the great games designed specifically for it, not a bunch of games trying to keep up with traditional console experiences.

HDD space is not an issue unless you go exclusively digital and then you just add a pretty cheap micro sd.

Like others i was sceptical after recent Nintendo offerings. But they got this spot on, i haven't played as much, nor had as much fun playing since i was a kid.

It makes gaming fun which is priceless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, don't ever (and i mean ever) let anyone video you while using VR. My wife took a brief video of me playing robo-recall, and it looked as ridiculous as you'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Kiith wrote: »
    Yeah, don't ever (and i mean ever) let anyone video you while using VR. My wife took a brief video of me playing robo-recall, and it looked as ridiculous as you'd expect.

As the kids would say, vid or GTFO

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I was put off after the abysmal failure of the Wii U but won over early on. I find it great for 30 minutes before bed or just lazing on the couch with. For the space just get a 120gb card and you're laughing but most games are so well compressed that it'll take you awhile yo fill it

Yeah, I'm dying to get one. Seems like the perfect console for one TV families. I get kicked off the Xbox regularly enough that a switch would be absolutely great for me.

I'll get one when I can, but that's another while away yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

While the Switch is far, far more powerful than a playstation vita, that article is some of the most ridiculous nonsense I've read in quite some time!

• While the Switch is far, far more powerful than a playstation vita, that article is some of the most ridiculous nonsense I've read in quite some time!

Really, why so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Really, why so?

"I found something to confirm my bias, then I realised I could use older hardware and make it look even better" is how I'd write the tldr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm dying to get one. Seems like the perfect console for one TV families. I get kicked off the Xbox regularly enough that a switch would be absolutely great for me.

I don’t have a switch but I do have a Wii U and Vita both of which I have used a lo in the past as we used to have just one telly.

I bought a PC monitor since which helped a lot on the PS4 side but I still pretty much exclusively use the Wii U gamepad “remotely” instead of being in a different room to the wife so I seem more sociable. Lol

My Switch is great for picking up and playing, I find that I'll often head upstairs and just lay in bed playing it or when herself has friends over I'll happily sit in a chair playing and nodding periodically to give the impression that I'm listening.

While the Switch is far, far more powerful than a playstation vita, that article is some of the most ridiculous nonsense I've read in quite some time!

I love the Switch but don't put much faith in that test they use as the basis for the article. Playing it docked on a 4K TV and its limitations are evident, Bayonetta 2 in particular docked looks like a dog given that its 720p though at least the frame rate is good.

For me the Switch is a handheld device and excels there but much of the best titles look so good not because of the console but the devs being able to work wonders with the hardware limitations. I can see a Switch 2.0 being released in the next couple of years utilising more up to date Nvidia hardware and if they could bump up the resolution and frame rate on titles like Doom then I'd happily but it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

For me the Switch is a handheld device and excels there but much of the best titles look so good not because of the console but the devs being able to work wonders with the hardware limitations.

Yeah, Nintendo games look great not because of graphical prowess, but because of art style and direction. Wind Waker back on the gamecube still looks amazing, and it's ancient at this stage. Wind Waker HD didn't have much to improve on, other than resolution.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I actually think the HD remake looks worse. The original has a very painterly art style, while the remake adds shading to make it look more like a CG movie and gives it depth. The original just looks far more unique with its flat shading.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Switch is basically what the WiiU should have been it is clearly limited in power & will only be moreso when the PS5 & Nextbox are just announced it will look archaic.
    When you see it's premier launch title Breath of the Wild having performance issues it says a lot. But Nintendo can get a lot out of underpowered devices.
    First year was incredible with so many exclusive titles many were on the WiiU however. This year there ain't much to be excited about unless you love Smash or their mobile hybrid let's go Pokemon games.
    Further ahead with Metroid way off & the actual promised Pokemon rpg still over a year away. Mario & Zelda games take a while to make as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You never know what surprises might be on the horizon for the Switch, but the existing library for the non-Switch and WiiU owner is really good.
    And this is including new IP like Arms, which is remarkable.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Switch is basically what the WiiU should have been it is clearly limited in power & will only be moreso when the PS5 & Nextbox are just announced it will look archaic.
    When you see it's premier launch title Breath of the Wild having performance issues it says a lot. But Nintendo can get a lot out of underpowered devices.
    First year was incredible with so many exclusive titles many were on the WiiU however. This year there ain't much to be excited about unless you love Smash or their mobile hybrid let's go Pokemon games.
    Further ahead with Metroid way off & the actual promised Pokemon rpg still over a year away. Mario & Zelda games take a while to make as well.

Pretty much every launch title for a console has some issues that need to be ironed out and while some Switch titles have had issues they are quickly patched. My only issue with the Switch is that on a 4K screen when docked the results are disappointing. Comparing it to the PS4 or Xbox does it a disservice as it is not intended to compete with them. It's a handheld, yes it can be used on a TV but optimal performance for most will be found undocked as even with some resolution downgrades games looked better than when played back on a large screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Yeah, Nintendo games look great not because of graphical prowess, but because of art style and direction. Wind Waker back on the gamecube still looks amazing, and it's ancient at this stage. Wind Waker HD didn't have much to improve on, other than resolution.

Even Mario 64 which is 22 years old still looks fairly decent, certainly on smaller screens like a smartphone (and if released as a small indie, non Mario affiliated mobile game today would do pretty well imo). The cartoonier, softer edges really seem to have aged a hell of a lot better than the more 'adult' consoles which went for more sharp edges etc on their aesthetics typically.

Would absolutely recommend giving it another whack for anyone who hasn't played it in donkeys years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The second year of the Switches life is pretty anaemic compared to the first year but you have to remember how amazing that first year was and how poor the PS4 and Xbox One were at the same point in their life cycle. Also while E3 was smash focused Nintendo have announced big titles on directs that release in 4 months so I expect that will probably happen again.

I had my doubts about the Switch as well but it's only when you have one that you realise why it's so beloved. AS a device for playing games it just makes sense. It's design is just really functional. It will be interesting to see how it will stack up to the PS5 and new xbox but it's already replacing the 3DS and Vita in Japan so I'm guessing we will see big support from japan come TGS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

As long as there's indie games up to the standard of Hollow Knight, Stardew Valley, Celeste and Darkest Dungeon, I'll have enough to keep me going until the next big Nintendo releases.

Great little interview with Tony Hawk talking about how much money he made from the THPS games. I loved that series. Never played the latest remaster as I heard it was shyte but I have such great memories of those skate parks.

Notes - After THPS 4, he was told the series did easy better than anyone expected and was handed a very unexpected cheque for 4 million dollars.
    He is currently working on a mobile game but can't really talk about it, no console game in the works. BOOOOO.
    THPS changed his life and with the money he made from it.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Great little interview with Tony Hawk talking about how much money he made from the THPS games. I loved that series. Never played the latest remaster as I heard it was shyte but I have such great memories of those skate parks.

Notes - After THPS 4, he was told the series did easy better than anyone expected and was handed a very unexpected cheque for 4 million dollars.
    He is currently working on a mobile game but can't really talk about it, no console game in the works. BOOOOO.
    THPS changed his life and with the money he made from it.

His life experiences are also quite funny, as loads of people know Tony Hawk the skateboard guy, but no one remembers what he looks like resulting in stuff like:

https://twitter.com/tonyhawk/status/844308362070151168

I'd actually go as far as to say Tony's Hawks skateboarding changed the actual skateboarding scheme. Skateboarding had a bog resurgence in popularity that coincided with that games release and I'd say it was the game's success that spurred it and rather than the popularity of skateboarding leading to the game's success.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I don’t understand the constant need to compare consoles by knocking the one that you don’t own, or don’t like. Maybe it’s my age, but I haven’t engaged in this fanboy-ism since I was a teen.

I own a Switch and a PS4. Both are different and IMO comparing them is akin to comparing an apple to an orange.

I don’t see the Switch stacking up against the PS5 or new Xbox, but that’s not a contrast I’m looking to make. The Switch is handheld, and has replaced my 3DS for indie games and the stand-out Nintendo titles. It’s also given me an excuse to play Skyrim again.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd actually go as far as to say Tony's Hawks skateboarding changed the actual skateboarding scheme. Skateboarding had a bog resurgence in popularity that coincided with that games release and I'd say it was the game's success that spurred it and rather than the popularity of skateboarding leading to the game's success.

"Bog resurgence"

Hehehe, I'm still chuckling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Retr0gamer wrote: »

The X-Games started in '95 i think,dave mirra BMX games were popular at the time and before then aswell,think the first dave mirra was 2001?

A decent amount of games for "alternative" sports came out that era iirc. I played and enjoyed a ton of them. Doing the challenges they usually had with friends was brilliant,some felt totally impossible though.

I was big into the X games on Eurosport. Loved skateboarding as a kid but I thought the X games kicked off the games popularity but I can't recall for sure as it was a looooong time ago.

Comparing it to the PS4 or Xbox does it a disservice as it is not intended to compete with them
    Notorious wrote: »
    ...I own a Switch and a PS4. Both are different and IMO comparing them is akin to comparing an apple to an orange.

I don’t see the Switch stacking up against the PS5 or new Xbox, but that’s not a contrast I’m looking to make.

Absolutely agree with both of you 100%. Nintendo don't see themselves in direct competition with Sony/Microsoft, so it's not a good comparison at all.

If you're going to compare them at all, compare their approach/ideas instead of their hardware. Perhaps it's Nintendo fanboy in me, but I think Nintendo are the only ones to really try new things. While Sony and Microsoft iterate, Nintendo innovate.

It's a handheld, yes it can be used on a TV
    Notorious wrote: »
    The Switch is handheld, and has replaced my 3DS

I am curious about this though... so you would both consider the Switch as a handheld primarily? So it's a handheld you can plug into a TV?

To me it's the opposite; it's a console that I can take with me. But I guess it depends on how it fits into people's life styles. For me it will remain a console first, handheld second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Pretty much every launch title for a console has some issues that need to be ironed out and while some Switch titles have had issues they are quickly patched. My only issue with the Switch is that on a 4K screen when docked the results are disappointing. Comparing it to the PS4 or Xbox does it a disservice as it is not intended to compete with them. It's a handheld, yes it can be used on a TV but optimal performance for most will be found undocked as even with some resolution downgrades games looked better than when played back on a large screen.

I got my switch last year and I played it a good bit, but never went back to it after getting xbox one x.
    Dont understand me wrong, its cool console, but I think it suffers from same issue wii u did. After playing some fortnite it was clear that hardware is underpowered.
    I bought it for portability and using it on tv is really meh. Its ashame when you play portable it takes a massive performance hit, considering its week already.
    The only reason I bought 3ds before were Monster Hunter and Fire Emblem games. Got switch in advance for those games, but MH came out on other consoles...

Now I cam bet my knickers on Nintendo releasing more powerful switch later on. Like 3Ds new. Might even sell my one right now while it still has some value.

Advertisement