Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I played a few games of it too and could not see it. The problem now is that there are tonnes of new games shoehorning this mode into titles. I get that little kids like Fortnite, but it's in Battlefield now and COD are trying it. How will those modes work without progression? Seems pointless for those games that are built on progression to just even the playing field.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I always felt that given the time that it was a nuisance suit to try and screw with Fortnite's Korean release.

I think that the one takeaway from PUBG's recent activities is that Brendan Greene and Co have no issue lifting ideas and content (they had to remove an energy drink for ripping off Red Bull and then tried to sue another company for having an energy drink in their game) from other places but as soon as a competitor cuts into their market their true colours come out and it's all about the money. The fact that Greene thinks he somehow created the concept of the Battle Royale game is nonsense and much as I like PUBG it's still a buggy, bland mess with little content.

Greene kind of did create the concept though with his ARMA 2 mod.

As for all this litigation nonsense, I wouldn't place the blame on Greene. The company running Bluehole is a well established Korean MMO company and Greene is only working as a contract advisor role. The Korean MMO world is pretty cut throat so I'd say all this litigation is delay tactics by Bluehole than actual legit legal threats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Videos on youtube of people playing brendan greenes BR mod from over 4 years ago.

He has been involved in every successful BR incarnation since then bar fortnite.

He has had a major influenece on the genre.

I dont think hes entitled to call the idea original but its his implementation that nearly all the BR games are using as a template.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

EoinHef wrote: »
    Videos on youtube of people playing brendan greenes BR mod from over 4 years ago.

He has been involved in every successful BR incarnation since then bar fortnite.

He has had a major influenece on the genre.

I dont think hes entitled to call the idea original but its his implementation that nearly all the BR games are using as a template.

Some of the issues were on assets, copyright would have applied to aspects of these but for the overall idea of what a BR game is it doesn't apply.

Copyright is inherent with creating something, but what it can apply to is limited. Patents and Trademarks have to be granted and in the case of Trademarks thoroughly defended (bethesda sues mojang over scrolls), you don't need to win a trademark case you just need to actively defend it or that can be used against you in a future case.

Varik wrote: »
    Some of the issues were on assets, copyright would have applied to aspects of these but for the overall idea of what a BR game is it doesn't apply.

Copyright is inherent with creating something, but what it can apply to is limited. Patents and Trademarks have to be granted and in the case of Trademarks thoroughly defended (bethesda sues mojang over scrolls), you don't need to win a trademark case you just need to actively defend it or that can be used against you in a future case.

Wasnt suggesting he owns the idea at all,just said he has been one of the single biggest influeneces on the genre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Greyfox

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Well, it's lookin' shhhnazzy. There hasn't been a single Resident Evil I haven't enjoyed on some level (yes, even RE6), but I'll try not to get my hopes up -- I estimate it's just a matter of time before people cry about how it's too modern and doesn't involve tank-controlling Leon through photorealistic 2D police-station

Those who complained in the past had good reasons, RE6 was garbage. As fan of tank controls/item management I reckon theres no danger of that and expect this game to be amazing, definitely the game I'm most eagerly anticipating. It looks very scary and looks miles better than the ps1 version (which is still fun to play) and combat looks really good, there certainly using all the correct RE ingredients for this one

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Wasnt suggesting he owns the idea at all,just said he has been one of the single biggest influeneces on the genre.

I know, you said as much in your post.

I'm saying he can't own it, as opposed to he doesn't own it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

RopeDrink wrote: »
    How long has that RE2 remake trailer been floating around? Am I, like, 20 billion years late to the party? Just noticed a Jimquisition video on it and... Well, it's lookin' shhhnazzy. There hasn't been a single Resident Evil I haven't enjoyed on some level (yes, even RE6), but I'll try not to get my hopes up -- I estimate it's just a matter of time before people cry about how it's too modern and doesn't involve tank-controlling Leon through photorealistic 2D police-station mazes.
    Check Steam; it's releasing in only 7 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Obviously nobody here is saying he owns the idea....but people in other parts of the internet actually are and do. I would suggest those people read their history. The idea of a "Battle Royale" goes back thousands of years.

Even in gaming, the idea is decades old. All he did original was have them all spawn in a plane instead of on the ground. Thats it.

Having said that I do enjoy PUBG more than fortnite. Fortnite is more polished no doubt....but bunny hopping shotgunning coupled with the building mechanic just irritates me. It promotes really bad gameplay and habits.

Shouldve watched e3 rope. Or at least checked out the thread. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Kirby wrote: »
    Obviously nobody here is saying he owns the idea....but people in other parts of the internet actually are and do. I would suggest those people read their history. The idea of a "Battle Royale" goes back thousands of years.

Even in gaming, the idea is decades old. All he did original was have them all spawn in a plane instead of on the ground. Thats it.

Having said that I do enjoy PUBG more than fortnite. Fortnite is more polished no doubt....but bunny hopping shotgunning coupled with the building mechanic just irritates me. It promotes really bad gameplay and habits.

I love that about fortnite, I suck at multitasking like that, but god, it is so satisfying to win against bob the builders.
    Fortnite is not even just more polished, but their business plan made me say: you know, its the most fair free to play game I ever played and I love what they did. If you get save the world founders pack, you can get 4k v bucks in a week and keep getting more after.
    In BR mode you buy 1000 vbucks for 10eu and if you play regularly, you will earn 1500 of them. Technically you can keep buying season passes after that forever. Even then for 10eu you get a ton of cosmetic content.
    Pubg just doing bad decisions one after another. They even introduced their own battle pass on a game that you pay money for. To make it worse, its waaaaaay worse value then what you get in Fortnite.
    All in all, we all play games we prefer, you cant argue about taste, but I personally think Epic deservers every single penny they made with Fortnite and Pubg is just bitter, that someone came in to scene with a cowboy version of BR and managed to do it so much better then the Vet of genre. Keep in mind, a Vet, not a creater of genre.
    To make Fortnite look even better, Devs actually listen a lot to community and pumping out updates on weekly bases. Pubg on xbox is still massive garbage.

Kirby wrote: »

Cant really think of any decades old games that are BR?
    The idea of BR is old alright but ive never seen it implemented in a game the way it is now.

He also designed the circle mechanics. Now all BR games use that.

First saw something like that in Super Bomberman. Now that was decades ago!

Cant really think of any decades old games that are BR?
    The idea of BR is old alright but ive never seen it implemented in a game the way it is now.

The idea of a last man standing isn't new. It's been around since the 90's. The idea of launching out of a plane isn't new either. Also since the 90's. The idea of an ever decreasing playfield i.e the circle.....is also as old as hell.

What he did was put them all together. Which he deserves praise for.....but he didn't invent any of it.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Greene kind of did create the concept though with his ARMA 2 mod.

There was a Minecraft mod that had it and in fact other games had similar spins on it, his just cast the imagination of the public and it ballooned from there

Retr0gamer wrote:
    As for all this litigation nonsense, I wouldn't place the blame on Greene. The company running Bluehole is a well established Korean MMO company and Greene is only working as a contract advisor role. The Korean MMO world is pretty cut throat so I'd say all this litigation is delay tactics by Bluehole than actual legit legal threats.

Not say its all him but he has a part to play in all this. He's the figurehead for the game and unfortunately he bears the brunt of it which is a shame as he's a decent guy and has on the past been very welcoming of similar games. It is all stalling tactics, we don't want this competing with us let's launch a nuisance suit to slow them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I get that little kids like Fortnite, but it's in Battlefield now and COD are trying it.

I play Fortnite and I’m in my 30s.

Notorious wrote: »

It's mostly kids though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

You're like Peter Pan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

It's mostly kids though.

You mean all the other players weren't just huffing helium? Damn...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am 32... Still, 7 year olds kick my ass, but atleast I have fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's mostly kids though.

COD and FIFA is mostly kids as well. I don't see your point?

They aren't, no need to get defensive though.

No point really, just that every game is shoehorning in a BR mode now to get on the fad that's Fortnite, which is mainly a kids thing. It'll make other games suffer because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

They aren't, no need to get defensive though.

No point really, just that every game is shoehorning in a BR mode now to get on the fad that's Fortnite, which is mainly a kids thing. It'll make other games suffer because of it.

kids, teens and adults play it, why? because they find it fun. Get over it :rolleyes:

I've nothing to get over, just waiting for it to die, which it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just because you don't like battle royale games doesn't mean that everyone else doesn't as well.

Fortnite and PUBG have made so much money the other guys want a piece of that pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I don’t think games suffer because of the BR craze. As I said, I play a little Fortnite. I don’t love it, but it is fun. I’m not big into BR in general; I’d much rather standard Battlefield 1 gameplay, capture the flag etc. If anything I think a wider, more diverse range of games is good for the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Oh fortnite will be around for years to come, sure just look at Assassins creed ;), that should have died YEARS ago and still they just keep Frankensteining that bitch :pac:

nix wrote: »
    Oh fortnite will be around for years to come, sure just look at Assassins creed ;), that should have died YEARS ago and still they just keep Frankensteining that bitch :pac:

Nah it'll fade to nothing, just like fidget spinners did.

Assassin's Creed is a decent franchise, plenty of great games in the series. I don't know why you think it should have died years ago, I take it you're not a financial advisor :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Assassin's Creed is a decent franchise, plenty of great games in the series. I don't know why you think it should have died years ago, I take it you're not a financial advisor :)
    Tried to play black flag but couldn't, it just felt so dead and lifeless that ó gave up and haven't gone back. If that's the high point f the franchise as I've heard so often, it's a petty shocking franchise.

Advertisement