Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Can't wait for Hitman 2 either. Sunk so many hours into Season 1!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

gizmo wrote: »
    How is the collection actually? Read mostly positive coverage from most sites and the Digital Eclipse releases have been solid so far so was crossing my fingers it was worth picking it up.

Apparently the console versions are very good. Problems on PC though. Fullscreen is a mess with framerate tied to resolution. 720p runs at 60Hz, 1080p at 50Hz and 1440p at 24Hz. It runs fine in borderless window. Also doesn't play nice with my 21:9 monitor. Hopefully a patch will fix it.

Only really played X1 and the issues are with X7 and X8 which are utter garbage and meh respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Can't wait for Hitman 2 either. Sunk so many hours into Season 1!

If it was episodic, I'd be getting it day one as the episodes worked out really well. Will wait for it to go on sale but will definitely get it at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Valkyria, Yakuza, Fist of the North Star and Soul Calibur 6 for me, I'll wait and see on DQ11 and MHA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Imagine not owning a PS4 at this stage. Anyway like the PS3 whenever Last of Us II comes out it will be the last big game for the console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    If it was episodic, I'd be getting it day one as the episodes worked out really well. Will wait for it to go on sale but will definitely get it at some point.

I am actually disappointed it isn't episodic. It was great 100% completing missions and then having something to look forward to a few weeks/months later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RasTa wrote: »
    Imagine not owning a PS4 at this stage. Anyway like the PS3 whenever Last of Us II comes out it will be the last big game for the console.

It's a pretty disappointing machine for me and one of the weakest consoles I own. It's just the xbox is so weak I don't even see a reason to own one. The PS4 pretty much my Netflix machine since it gets used so little use as I've a PC.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's a pretty disappointing machine for me and one of the weakest consoles I own. It's just the xbox is so weak I don't even see a reason to own one. The PS4 pretty much my Netflix machine since it gets used so little use as I've a PC.

I'm the opposite lately as I'm a bit fed up with PC gaming. The PS4 exclusives really pulled me in, ones that I missed since 2014 when I had the original console. So I went out and bought a pro last week. (multi-platform games are still played on PC and as too any FPS game). Too many games to play lol

True. Whatever you pick you aren't going to be bored.

And to think people gave out during PS1 era when games were 8 hours long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Get Horizon and God of War. Especially if you like BOTW, I played BOTW after finishing Horizon and it just felt so empty in comparison. Still enjoyed it but Horizon is one of the best games I've ever played. Shame the DLC didn't match up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Get Horizon and God of War. Especially if you like BOTW, I played BOTW after finishing Horizon and it just felt so empty in comparison. Still enjoyed it but Horizon is one of the best games I've ever played. Shame the DLC didn't match up.

BOTW is better than HZD.

The wooden voice acting really took the shine off HZD for me but still one of my favourite games last year.

I played Horizon and it's the standard Ubisoft open world format. It might be done really well but it doesn't interest me at all although the script is entertainingly bad. The problem is I don't like the ubisoft formula games at all which is why BotW appealed to me so much and I just wasn't interested in Horizon.

God of War I tried but it didn't grab me. I was playing Ninja Gaiden Black before it came out and all I could think of was I could be playing NGB instead of God of War so stopped playing. I'll have to give the game some time before I go back to it, it's not that it was bad it's just Ninja Gaiden is so much better than anything else like it.

I do want to give Lost Legacy a try. Did not like Uncharted 4 at all but Lost Legacy sounds a lot better.

I tried Horizon twice and got super bored both times around a quarter of the way through, just wasn't enjoying it. God of War was class but I didn't get the 'best game ever' title been thrown around. Cleared it and went straight into Yakuza 6 which I found was a way better game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I am actually disappointed it isn't episodic. It was great 100% completing missions and then having something to look forward to a few weeks/months later.

Agreed,

i didnt get into it until the whole lot was out, and got the complete collection in a sale. I dont tend to stick with things and experiment on the same level if theres other stuff to do, so i ended up moving on pretty quickly. Theres some great youtube videos of guys making up their own challenges to get the most out of different levels, but I've a suspicion that novelty might be lost when you have the whole game dished up to you at launch.

I only play consoles, laptop can handle papers please but that's about it. PS4 better then PS1 due to SOTC imo

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Might be blasphemous for some but I enjoyed Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin far more than Dark Souls Remastered after playing through both over the last two months. For me, I think nostalgia painted DS1 in a far prettier light but it wasn't the same going back to it. It's a great game obviously but I just prefer DS2: SotFS for numerous reasons.

DS1 still beats DS2 in level design but SotFS and the DLC did a lot to close the gap over the base game. Dragon Aerie and Dragon Shrine, for example, were a pain in the base game but some simple changes made them great areas in SotFS.

Variety of weapons and builds. Without giant amounts of grinding in the DS1, you might max 2/3 weapons per playthrough. In SotFS, there is loads of materials to max lots of weapons per playthrough and with powerstancing, there is even more unique movesets. Plus DS2 has the Bone Fist!

PVP. DS2 even on its own was the best Souls game for PVP with Iron Keep fight clubs and covenant duels.

NG+. SotFS blows away every Soulsborne game with this mode. For a start, you're not automatically kicked into NG+ like every other game, you can pick when to start it, giving you the chance to finish off some things. It then makes loads of changes to keep things fresh. Some Bosses drops new souls, some drop enhanced rings, new enemies, new item placements, new armour sets, new dark spirits, new boss gimmicks (Sinner and Freja). Compared to DS1 where enemies just hit harder and almost every item is taken from you again, more or less.

Ability to respec with Soul Vessel. Excellent feature to use on NG+.

DS2 got a lot of criticism, a lot of it warranted. But in a just over a year they fixed a whole lot of issues while adding three great expansions. From Software received six years worth of feedback about the shítpile that was Lost Izalith, Demon Ruins, the Bed of Chaos and the endgame and didn't do a thing to address it in Remastered.

That's my lengthy defence of DS2: SotFS!

My only criticism of Dark Souls 2 is the poor level design and some throw away bosses. The DLC however is some of the best gameplay in the series. I still prefer DS1's complete package and find it unforgivable that they regressed in DS3 in terms of combat and NG+.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,274 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Story/Lore, characters, level design Dark Souls 1 wins. Gameplay wise Dark Souls 2 wins, I put more hours into the second one than any of the others mainly due to the brilliant PvP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I have the fondest memories of DS1, purely because it was unlike anything else I'd ever played before, and the strong camaraderie of the online community and its willingness to help others was something I hadn't really seen before.

DS2 - I initially hated it, and bailed at the first pursuer boss fight, however after returning it, I grew to appreciated it and I'm still torn as to whether Its my favourite game in the series or not.

DS3 - perhaps it was overexposure to the genre, but I just found it lacking - as if someone was making a dark souls game using a checklist.

I have bloodbourne at home and I'm slow to start it, but might have a look over the long weekend.

I played the games in the order of release then got a PS4 last year and played Bloodborne. It's familiar if you've played the others but freshens up the formula.

Thought I was putting my Souls knowledge to good effect when I started but then Gascoigne took me down a peg or 3. Took a long time for the pistol to gel with me properly, like a really long time Lady Maria in the DLC it really clicked for me in that fight and destroyed her with visceral attacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Origin premier launches next week. $99 for Fifa 19, BFV, Madden and Anthem as they launch.

Plus access to the vault games, buckets of games like all the Mass Effect, Dead Space, Battlefield, Titanfall titles etc. Old classics like populous and syndicate too.

Not just EA games either, Banner Saga, Batman, This war of mine, brothers.

Full list of vault titles.
    Aragami
    The Banner Saga
    Batman: Arkham Asylum (added March 8, 2018)
    Batman: Arkham City (added March 8, 2018)
    Batman: Arkham Origins (added March 8, 2018)
    Battlefield 1
    Battlefield 3
    Battlefield 4
    Battlefield Hardline
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (added April 27, 2018)
    Bulletstorm Lite (coming soon)
    Command & Conquer: The Ultimate Collection
    Crysis
    Crysis 2
    Crysis 3
    Crusader: No Regret
    Crusader: No Remorse
    Dead Space
    Dead Space 2
    Dead Space 3
    Dragon Age: Origins
    Dragon Age 2
    Dragon Age: Inquisition
    Dungeon Keeper
    Dungeon Keeper 2
    Dungeons of Dredmore
    Ember (added April 30, 2018)
    FIFA 15
    FIFA 16
    FIFA 17
    Furi
    Hacknet
    Jade Empire
    Lego Batman (added March 8, 2018
    Lego Batman 2 (added March 8, ,2018)
    Lego Batman 3 (added March 8, 2018)
    Lost Castle (added March 23, 2018)
    Mad Max (added April 30, 2018)
    Mass Effect
    Mass Effect 2
    Mass Effect 3
    Medal of Honor Allied Assault
    Mini Metro
    Mirror's Edge
    Mirror's Edge Catalyst
    Need For Speed
    Need for Speed: Most Wanted
    Need For Speed: Rivals
    Orwell
    Out of the Park Baseball 19 (added March 23, 2018)
    Oxenfree
    Peggle
    Pillars of Eternity: Hero Edition (added April 30, 2018)
    Plants vs. Zombies
    Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
    Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2
    Pony Island
    Populous
    Populous II
    Prison Architect (added April 30, 2018)
    Rebel Galaxy
    The Saboteur
    SimCity
    SimCity 2000
    SimCity 4
    Spore (added April 30, 2018)
    Star Wars Battlefront: Ultimate Edition
    The Sims 3
    The Sims 4: Digital Deluxe Edition
    This War of Mine
    Titanfall
    Titanfall 2
    Torchlight II
    Torment: Tides of Numenera (added April 30, 2018)
    Trine
    Trine 2: Complete Story
    Ultima I - IX
    Unravel
    Virginia (added April 30, 2018)
    Wasteland 2 (added March 23, 2018)
    Wing Commander
    Wing Commander II
    Wing Commander III
    Wing Commander IV
    Wing Commander Privateer
    The Witness (added March 23, 2018)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

PC only, the catalogue does look good and 5 day early access to upcoming EA titles is good. If they bring it to PS4 I may pick it up. Or if I ever get around to upgrading my GPU I'd look at it then. Handy if you're a Fifa and Battlefield fan, as it pays for those 2 games every year and you still have a good catalogue of other games to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

PC only, the catalogue does look good and 5 day early access to upcoming EA titles is good. If they bring it to PS4 I may pick it up. Or if I ever get around to upgrading my GPU I'd look at it then. Handy if you're a Fifa and Battlefield fan, as it pays for those 2 games every year and you still have a good catalogue of other games to play.

I doubt it'll ever come to PS4, Sony turned down a similar thing with EA Access so it's hard to see them getting onboard with this.

I'm never throwing away anything again.

DjM3cAyXoAACnOS.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

RasTa wrote: »
    I'm never throwing away anything again.

DjM3cAyXoAACnOS.jpg
    I know that feeling all too well.

I've been wanting to pick up a copy of Super Smash Bros. Melee that doesn't cost €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

There's something still cool about the design of the GBC to me. The original GBA was also appealing, but all the clamshells from the GBA SP onward haven't done anything for me.

It's the only hardware I've ever traded in too :( Used it to part pay for a GBA in Gamesworld.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

jesus the evil within 2 is fecking horrifying. Real Silent Hill 2 vibe about the beginning. The sound is excellent, there is none. Genuinely creepy so far

gimli2112 wrote: »
    jesus the evil within 2 is fecking horrifying. Real Silent Hill 2 vibe about the beginning. The sound is excellent, there is none. Genuinely creepy so far

Have you played the 1st? I played through a bit of the 1st bit found it to be a boring stealth game and gave up on it. Haven't had a good horror fix since Resi 7.

• gimli2112 wrote: »

Both games are excellent

The sequel is an improvement in every aspect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Have you played the 1st? I played through a bit of the 1st bit found it to be a boring stealth game and gave up on it. Haven't had a good horror fix since Resi 7.

yeah I'm 1/2 way through the first and will finish it but the 2nd seems significantly superior, I'm on chapter 3. It's easier. I had concerns over the difficulty of the first and started it on casual which ruined it a bit. 2 seems a lot more creepy. I can't handle Resi 7, played the demo and it freaked me out.

Advertisement