Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

They do tend to look far and wide for games to publish. Really cool to see all the different flags of the developers they have published on the wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devolver_Digital

Agreed. Every game they put their mits on turns to gold.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Earth Defense Force 5 is releasing this year. Think it's only PS4 for now but a PC release is almost guaranteed.

I've poured hours into this series. It's just pure fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Earth Defense Force 5 is releasing this year. Think it's only PS4 for now but a PC release is almost guaranteed.

I've poured hours into this series. It's just pure fun.

I played about an hour of Earth Defence Force 2025 on the PS3. It was absolute gick. It was like anti-fun to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I played about an hour of Earth Defence Force 2025 on the PS3. It was absolute gick. It was like anti-fun to me.

You have to give it more than an hour. The first few stages with just ants and spiders aren't all that inspiring, but when the enemies get crazier it gets a lot more fun.

Also the basic foot soldier is kind of tame compared to the insanity of the Pale Diver and Engineer weaponry. It's a series I like to just stick on knowing that I'll be straight in having ridiculous fun without getting interrupted with boring cutscenes or hours of tutorials.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I just bought Scum, a new online survival game very similar to dayz. Currently downloading it. Anyone else played it yet?

I never enjoyed Dayz the standalone although I did have a lot of fun with the arma 2 mod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Anyone ever have an entire genre ruined by a game?

I recently finished Hollow Knight and I tried moving onto Guacamelee. It's been in my backlog for ages and the sequel is just out and people are praising the series so I thought I should finally get around to it.

But after the perfection of Hollow Knight, Guacamelee just feels like utter sh*t. The combat is so boring compared to Hollow Knight and the platforming controls just feels so sloppy. Platforming is difficult not because it requires skill but because there seems to be an non intuitive lag between button presses and actually making moves. I know it's just one game, but I'm afraid to start even other platformers in case they don't hold up to Hollow Knight :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,812 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Anyone ever have an entire genre ruined by a game?

I recently finished Hollow Knight and I tried moving onto Guacamelee. It's been in my backlog for ages and the sequel is just out and people are praising the series so I thought I should finally get around to it.

But after the perfection of Hollow Knight, Guacamelee just feels like utter sh*t. The combat is so boring compared to Hollow Knight and the platforming controls just feels so sloppy. Platforming is difficult not because it requires skill but because there seems to be an non intuitive lag between button presses and actually making moves. I know it's just one game, but I'm afraid to start even other platformers in case they don't hold up to Hollow Knight :pac:

I absolutely love Guacamelee, never had an issue with controls or combat so I might need to check out Hollow Knight now :)

I on the other hand bounced off Hollow Knight. Didn't grab my attention. Must go back but the initial 2 hours were boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I on the other hand bounced off Hollow Knight. Didn't grab my attention. Must go back but the initial 2 hours were boring.

You have to give it more than an hour or two. The first few stages with just ants and spiders aren't all that inspiring, but when the enemies get crazier and you get new abilities it gets a lot more fun.

:pac:

sweetie wrote: »
    You have to give it more than an hour or two. The first few stages with just ants and spiders aren't all that inspiring, but when the enemies get crazier and you get new abilities it gets a lot more fun.

That's the exact same thing he said about Earth Defence Force 2025!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Never had that issue. Might be helped by the fact I've always cleansed the palate between games of the same genre with something different.

That's the exact same thing he said about Earth Defence Force 2025!!!

:D Touche!

Never had that issue. Might be helped by the fact I've always cleansed the palate between games of the same genre with something different.

I normally do that but after Hollow Knight I wanted to continue the Metroidvania high and I thought Guacamelee would be a good choice.
    I also thought that given how hard Hollow Knight is that I would kick ass in Guacamelee, but the controls feel so poor and combat and platforming don't seem to work anyway intuitively.

sweetie wrote: »

I enjoyed it from the start, if nothing else than for the atmosphere, but particularly when you get a few movement abilities the combat and platforming become a lot more fun (you get a lot braver in both).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Zelda BotW at least temporarily ruined other open world games for me due to the way it so artfully tackled many of the problems of the genre. Couldn’t hack the more generic design and excessive map icons of Horizon after it, even when there were some clearly things to like about Guerilla’s game.

Tackling Hollow Knight at the moment, and will definitely need a break before Guacamelee 2 is considered (although Dead Cells compliments it nicely by a very different take on the genre). Opens up dramatically after the first main area - the subtle world-building, carefully honed systems, smartly judged movement upgrades and beguiling atmosphere quickly put it far above most other Metroidvania types. Always a good sign when you can wander lost for an hour or two mid-way through the game but never get bored due to the sheer wealth of weird stuff to uncover down the sprawling paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Not sure it was mentioned, but Team Meat is teasing a new game: Rival Rush

Very curious to see what this will be like. Invested a lot of time and effort into SMB!

https://twitter.com/SuperMeatBoy/status/1035188796260675584

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Could be a multiplayer Super Meat Boy, given the presence of the word 'rival' in the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

‘Golden Axe: Beast Rider:’ Inside a $15 Million Blunder

Interesting article on the fourth home console release in the Golden Axe series. In case anyone wasn't aware, it didn't go too well but the why, as always, is more interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I started playing Dirt 4 today. It's good, but nowhere as good as Dirt Rally.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Nothing will ever beat Rally Championship 2000 for me. Really long and intense tracks, and was the first rally game i played with a proper wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,401 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The first Colin McRae on the PS1 was epic. One of my favourite ever games.

In the championship mode, I think you had to finish in the top-6 of each rally to progress to the next rally. It took me literally months to get past the Swedish rally; the snow and ice was impossible!

Kiith wrote: »
    Nothing will ever beat Rally Championship 2000 for me. Really long and intense tracks, and was the first rally game i played with a proper wheel.

I used a wheel and pedals on the first two Colin McRae I had for the PC. I was great at balancing the throttle. You should give Dirt Rally a try. Monte Carlo rally in a Group B monster is an experience :)

The first Colin McRae on the PS1 was epic. One of my favourite ever games.

In the championship mode, I think you had to finish in the top-6 of each rally to progress to the next rally. It took me literally months to get past the Swedish rally; the snow and ice was impossible!

That's right. If there is one rally I dislike, it's the Swedish rally. Always happy to see the back of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,971 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

V Rally 97 is where is was at! Countless hours put into it!

Split screen racing which Colin McRae didn't have!

I see Retro got himself featured on Qwertee..

https://twitter.com/qwertee/status/1039498802640695296?s=19

I am.... retrogaming

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,243 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You merely adopted the retro....

So I am playing GTA IV again. Mostly cruising around listening to Vladivostok FM and playing the odd game of bowling with cousin Roman :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I have an OpenTTD server running for anyone wanting to dip into some nostalgia. Anyone interested (server is pass protected) in joining us?

I have 3 codes for the new Trials beta (running til Monday). It's a great laugh, must play for Trials fans. The code has to be redeemed on Ubi website and you can then choose your platform of choice to play on.

21gb in size, first come first serve.

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I have 3 codes for the new Trials beta (running til Monday). It's a great laugh, must play for Trials fans. The code has to be redeemed on Ubi website and you can then choose your platform of choice to play on.

21gb in size, first come first serve.

I'll try that if there's one still going.

Advertisement