Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,812 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'll try that if there's one still going.

Code sent, enjoy man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Playing Watch Dogs and 'Not Superstitious' by UK punk band Leatherface is playing when I got into one of the cars. That elevates the game to a whole new level. Almost makes me forgive the Oirish accents that you encounter at one point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Code sent, enjoy man.

Damn, any left?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,812 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Damn, any left?

Code sent, 1 left now.

Edit: all codes gone now, enjoy lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Bought Prototype and Prototype 2 on PS4 during this week's sale. I originally had the first one on Xbox 360 around the time it came out, I think.

Didn't remember much of it. Playing it now and I am reeeeally not enjoying it in the slightest. It's very dated, very repetitive, very boring. Doesn't look that visually appealing either. I think playing this after devouring Spider-Man was a bad idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah I remember playing it at the time and persevered to about half way thinking I should like this but it did get repetetive and also had my favourite pet peeve in games, timed tasks

Skerries wrote: »
    yeah I remember playing it at the time and persevered to about half way thinking I should like this but it did get repetetive and also had my favourite pet peeve in games, timed tasks

Very annoying alright. It really has not aged well at all. There also isn't any clear-cut direction in what my objective actually is.

*groan* I'm well past the halfway mark. I'm just skipping the cutscenes at this stage - I'm gonna get it finished tonight or tomorrow morning and call it a day, not gonna bother with the sequel

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Timed tasks that only worked in your favour if you started from a certain place, otherwise they were just frustrating when a skyscraper is in your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,039 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I played it recently after playing Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and appreciated being able to go up buildings without having to worry about guards and hiding and running away sending you off objective. But it is just a poor man's Infamous.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I played it recently after playing Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and appreciated being able to go up buildings without having to worry about guards and hiding and running away sending you off objective. But it is just a poor man's Infamous.

Wasn't it inadvertently directly competing with InFamous near its release? Were they out around the same time?

Also
    GameSpot: 8.5/10
    GameSpy: 3/5
    Giant Bomb: 4/5
    IGN: 7.5/10

Metacritic: 79/100

It seems this game was fairly liked when it came out. I must've liked it back then as well but good lord I do not enjoy it now.... It really has not aged well in my books

Shout-out to InFamous. I wish I gave that game a proper chance when I first played it.

• Advertisement

Google says Prototype was June 9th 2009 and Infamous was May 26th 2009. Was obvious they would be compared, but I guess Prototype was expected to fill the Infamous space for 360.
    I did enjoy Prototype, but I would choose Infamous. Will play Prototype 2 at some point. And the PC version of Prototype, which is the version I played, had really bad issues with audio

I'm a big fan of Infamous. As soon as I finished each of them on good, I played through right away on evil. My preferred order to play since more likely to be careful on first playthrough then just don't care who you hurt or what you destroy on the second.
    Only other game I played through immediately after finishing to experience the other story was Avatar on PS3.

The second Prototype game was terrible. The first one wasn't it could have been built on. In the second game they went for from what I recall using the same set of missions and objectives 4 or 5 times over the open world in much the same way Crackdown 2 did and was equally ****e for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

In fairness, I wouldn't go near any of the prototypes, after playing through spider-man. You set yourself up for massive disappointment there my friend :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I remember Prototype as a bad version of Infamous as well with terrible draw distance issues.... and Infamous wasn't all that great either.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I remember Prototype as a bad version of Infamous as well with terrible draw distance issues.... and Infamous wasn't all that great either.

Ah, the first two Infamous games were a good skit and weren't comparable to the scutter that was Prototype.

I bet you would have like Infamous better if it had been called Infamous: Super Gaiden Hero Smash.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ah, the first two Infamous games were a good skit and weren't comparable to the scutter that was Prototype.

I struggled with Infamous 1, didn't even bother finishing it, but I thought Infamous 2 was much better. The use of powers and the combat made it far more enjoyable, as did the new setting and enemies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I bet you would have like Infamous better if it had been called Infamous: Super Gaiden Hero Smash.

I'd have preferred it better if it wasn't the usual open world generica with a black and white morality system that wasnt very interesting.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd have preferred it better if it wasn't the usual open world generica with a black and white morality system that wasnt very interesting.

It didn't have a black and white morality system - it had a red and blue one. Totally different.

In 2 the choices were literally red and blue, just in case you weren't sure which choice was evil

CastorTroy wrote: »
    In 2 the choices were literally red and blue, just in case you weren't sure which choice was evil

Tbf, people with psychopathic tendencies might have had a hard time figuring them out. Thankfully it wasn't a Red/Green system or they would have been screwed.

• Advertisement

marcbrophy wrote: »
    In fairness, I wouldn't go near any of the prototypes, after playing through spider-man. You set yourself up for massive disappointment there my friend :D

I know, I'm about 75% through the main story at this stage so I'm hoping to have it done tonight (I said I was going to try last night but I got home from work late so I just didn't bother :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I know, I'm about 75% through the main story at this stage so I'm hoping to have it done tonight (I said I was going to try last night but I got home from work late so I just didn't bother :P)

You'll be glad when it's over :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,971 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Never got the love of Prototype. Played them both when they came out but never got further than a few hours in. As many have said, a poors mans InFamous, and I loved the 2 InFamous games. First 2 games I platinumed! And yes, the morality was black and white, but the game lent itself that way. You can try to be a bit of both but you won't get far, whereas all good or all bad gives you the best of the respective morals. And it's so much fun to go back through as bad after playing good, you don't have to worry about anything, just SMASH!!

And they were infinitely better than Second Son...

I loved the 2 InFamous games. First 2 games I platinumed! And yes, the morality was black and white, but the game lent itself that way. You can try to be a bit of both but you won't get far, whereas all good or all bad gives you the best of the respective morals. And it's so much fun to go back through as bad after playing good, you don't have to worry about anything, just SMASH!!

Kind of hoped Sucker Punch would bring them up to PS4 but alas I'll probably have to buy a PS3 again if I ever want to play those.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Really? I loved Second Son, I thought it was fantastic. I couldn't get into Infamous 1, really liked Infamous 2, but loved Second Son. First PS4 game I platinumed iirc. The story and characters were pretty bland and the four different power sets were all just variations of the same with minor gameplay differences, but I thought the gameplay overall was fun and great, the city and graphics were amazing, and I had a lot of fun playing it, certainly more than the two previous games.

I get different strokes for different folks etc, but "infinitely better" seems like a huge stretch to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,163 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Fecking Prototype. It's eternally on sale on PSN.

I remember the original game's protagonist, Alex Mercer, being the archetypal edgelord.

Yeah, I thought Second Son was a pretty decent game. I enjoyed the first two more but I thought Second Son held up well in comparison to them. It probably could have done with a bit more innovation in terms of its gameplay and there wasn't a hope in hell I was doing all the mini-tasks but it was a solid game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'm late to the Playstation party, having skipped the ps3, and only just recently gotten a ps4 to play a few of the must have exclusives.

started with the outstanding' the last of us', nothing really needs be said about that.
    moved onto bloodborne, and while its good, I just cant seem to pull myself through it, played as far as Rom the Spider, but just have no draw to go back to it - probably souls fatigue as I'd played though the dark souls trilogy not too long ago.

For a change of pace, I said I'd check out The uncharted trilogy. started with the first one and was surprised at how corny it is, the voice acting is overly theatrical to the point of being cringeworthy, it reminds me of something like Time Crisis.

I'll play on to see what the fuss is about, it doesn't seem an overly long game, an hours play had me at 16% complete according to the save file, but I hope it gets better.

Preferred the first 2 Infamous games but still a fan of Second Son enough to even do the AR mission(Paper Trail) in it. Then played First Light as well. Think they had Second Son in Plus recently

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    Fecking Prototype. It's eternally on sale on PSN.

I remember the original game's protagonist, Alex Mercer, being the archetypal edgelord.

He totally is.

He also swears where it is really not needed. His overuse of the word "F*ck" becomes out of place and very cringey

Advertisement