Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

He totally is.

He also swears where it is really not needed. His overuse of the word "F*ck" becomes out of place and very cringey

It's a pity he didn't have a neck beard

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm late to the Playstation party, having skipped the ps3, and only just recently gotten a ps4 to play a few of the must have exclusives.

started with the outstanding' the last of us', nothing really needs be said about that.
    moved onto bloodborne, and while its good, I just cant seem to pull myself through it, played as far as Rom the Spider, but just have no draw to go back to it - probably souls fatigue as I'd played though the dark souls trilogy not too long ago.

For a change of pace, I said I'd check out The uncharted trilogy. started with the first one and was surprised at how corny it is, the voice acting is overly theatrical to the point of being cringeworthy, it reminds me of something like Time Crisis.

I'll play on to see what the fuss is about, it doesn't seem an overly long game, an hours play had me at 16% complete according to the save file, but I hope it gets better.

Yeah I never really liked the first Uncharted game. It was good, but quite forgettable. Uncharted 2 though is genuinely brilliant, probably the best in the series. 3 is a bit of a step down in quality but 4 picks it up again to rival 2. It's a great series overall, but the first is the worst, second is the best, third is the one with the hairy chest that's good if you're enjoying the series and characters.

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah I never really liked the first Uncharted game. It was good, but quite forgettable. Uncharted 2 though is genuinely brilliant, probably the best in the series. 3 is a bit of a step down in quality but 4 picks it up again to rival 2. It's a great series overall, but the first is the worst, second is the best, third is the one with the hairy chest that's good if you're enjoying the series and characters.

I wouldn't put U4 on a par with U2 - I found the middle section of it bloated and dull - the endless climbing was really boring. Lost Legacy was a much better game. I enjoyed U3 but it does suffer from some of the same problems that 4 has in terms of being overlong. The first game is very cheesy and nothing compared to the sequel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I enjoyed Uncharted 1 but it had issues and I think the big appeal at the time was that it was something to play on the PS3 at a time when there was barely anything on it worth playing. I'd skip it now and just play 2 and 3 which are great.

I'd also skip U4 which I found an utter chore.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,970 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Kind of hoped Sucker Punch would bring them up to PS4 but alas I'll probably have to buy a PS3 again if I ever want to play those.

I can't see them doing it tbh. I don't think SS was a 'success' for them, so I can't see them needing to redo the first 2 unless they were to bring out another game in the series.
    Really? I loved Second Son, I thought it was fantastic. I couldn't get into Infamous 1, really liked Infamous 2, but loved Second Son. First PS4 game I platinumed iirc. The story and characters were pretty bland and the four different power sets were all just variations of the same with minor gameplay differences, but I thought the gameplay overall was fun and great, the city and graphics were amazing, and I had a lot of fun playing it, certainly more than the two previous games.

I get different strokes for different folks etc, but "infinitely better" seems like a huge stretch to me.

Yeah, infinitely better for me. In SS, i felt the world was boring, over saturated with bright colours and the powers never really drew me in. The first 2 were more serious, and I think it suited the world better. Granted, there was a lot of grey and brown, but a lot of games around then went this route to be more realistic. But a lot of games that went 'trendy/hipster' in comparison to the previous ones never click with me. Same happened with Watch_Dogs, couldn't play the second one at all as it was too hipster and didn't suit the world, again imo.

• Advertisement

Yeah, infinitely better for me. In SS, i felt the world was boring, over saturated with bright colours and the powers never really drew me in. The first 2 were more serious, and I think it suited the world better. Granted, there was a lot of grey and brown, but a lot of games around then went this route to be more realistic. But a lot of games that went 'trendy/hipster' in comparison to the previous ones never click with me. Same happened with Watch_Dogs, couldn't play the second one at all as it was too hipster and didn't suit the world, again imo.

I've just finished Watch Dogs 2 and it was a hundred times better than the first. The brooding hacker with a tragic past in the first one was beyond goofy - at least the second one revelled in the goofiness of its premise. A bunch of hipster neckbeards take on a tech supervillian - it was so stupid and it knew it.

I couldn't make it past 4 or 5 hours of the first before giving up.

And I was the complete opposite. I enjoyed the broody man child, and hated the hipsterness! Love that games are so subjective!

And I was the complete opposite. I enjoyed the broody man child, and hated the hipsterness! Love that games are so subjective!

I would have preferred a balance between the two :D. WD1 was so bleak and dark that I didn't enjoy it past the first maybe 3 hours. WD2 was a lot more fun and the brighter more colourful city was a lot more fun to explore, but it went too hipstery (f*ck that emoji mask guy!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I would have preferred a balance between the two :D. WD1 was so bleak and dark that I didn't enjoy it past the first maybe 3 hours. WD2 was a lot more fun and the brighter more colourful city was a lot more fun to explore, but it went too hipstery (f*ck that emoji mask guy!)

Maybe we might see a balance of the first two games in Watch_Dogs 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,163 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

This video popped up on Youtube after I had watched some God of War videos after completing the game. Don't let the title and all caps fool you, he makes some great points. I had been sucked into all this "Old GoW is dumb" too since it has been so long since I played the original trilogy and had forgotten lots but those games had plenty of depth.

Spoilers for all the games...

There is a very good line in it...
    The new God of war stands on the shoulders of it own narrative heritage, yet everyone is attempting to bury that heritage to build it up. Well I'm afraid I got some bad news. If you're burying the thing your standing on, you don't get higher, you get lower.

Using the innocent woman to hold the crank up in 3 is still fúcked though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Eh no. The original god of war trilogy is as thick as two short planks. The first game at least had an arc for kratos even if it was a tired old revenge one. After that he had no where to go. He was just a man child having a violent tantrum but the game was just so insane and revelled in its silliness that it didn't matter.

The third game forgot this and tried to take itself seriously and as a result was laughably bad.

Narratively the only duffer is the third game but still, arguing there was any kind of nuance or depth is nonsense.

That's like, your opinion, man.

I loved the original trilogy. Story of revenge and that's exactly what it did. Revenge from the first minute of the first game until the ending of 3. I didn't need a big fancy story. He was hoodwinked by the God of War, went to kill him, did and found out who was pulling the strings, so he killed all of them too. Straight forward and to the point. Great games!

No saying the stories were bad. The first one was a simple revenge story and that was just what the game needed, an excuse to kill lots of people.

The second one.... well Kratos' story arc was complete, there was no place for the character to go. He also wasn't hoodwinked by Zeus, he killed him because he was a dick and then.... wanted to kill him for it... which ok, fits that kratos is a dick but it hardly makes him relatable. The story was utter rubbish but again it served its purpose, lots of things to kill. They tried for emotion in the other games but it fell very flat.

tl;dr the story was serviceable. But to say it was deep.... sure.

I greatly enjoyed the stories in the early GOW games, basic as they were. I loved the intertwining with Greek Mythology, and the story was more complicated than Zeus killing Kratos because he was going mad as God of War, but also because Kratos was his son, and he feared being overthrown etc. I'd disagree that the story just became "Kratos needs things to kill", but I'd also agree the story still didn't get too deep and Kratos still wasn't too relatable by the end. But I enjoyed it a lot and the cliffhanger ending of GOW2 was fantastic, as was the presentation of some of the story. It more than served its purpose and as the video posted above talks about, it was deep and complex enough to act as a solid base for the Kratos we see in the new God of War. The callbacks to the previous games like
    seeing Zeus in Helheim and seeing Athena when he's going for his old blades
    work incredibly well on their own, but even more so when you've played the original games.

The story in the previous games weren't deep, but I'd still class them as more than serviceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

See Far Cry 5 is down to €40...is worth it?

Yeah for the 1st section or 1/3rd of the game then repetition kicks in like it always does. It's the best of the recent far cry games for sure but if you've got ubi/ open world fatigue then wait it out until it's 20 or lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

20 is about right for it.

The 3 DLCs were created by user surveys.....wish I knew what before I bought the season pass.

Its a good game the forced story interactions are annoying but overall a decentish FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Yeah for the 1st section or 1/3rd of the game then repetition kicks in like it always does. It's the best of the recent far cry games for sure but if you've got ubi/ open world fatigue then wait it out until it's 20 or lower.

I concur with this.

I regret going out and buying the Gold Edition - I should've known this game was going to be yet another Far Cry game with the same things tacked into it.

It's a good game, but it's a typical Ubisoft game. I have the Season Pass and I haven't went near a single ounce of DLC for that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Want to get the new tomb raider so as is tradition I had to finish Rise 1st.

Rise is a good game but the last few levels are a load of ****e after levelling up in stealth and what not I am faced with "ambushes" from the Deathless and Trinity lads.

So the only actual way to complete these fights are "Shotgun LOL"

Then they stick a stealth one and I think the last ambush was the only one.....Nope next 2 are ambushes with no way to stealth only "Shotgun LOL".

Actually ruined a decentish game albeit very easy game? I enjoy them but dont find them challenging, the puzzles are literally glowing in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I’d disagree with the others and say it’s definitely worth it. It does get very repetitive like all of the Farcry games, but I still enjoyed it all the way through. I found myself rushing through the third and fourth section, but I really took my time going through the first half of the game. The setting is excellent. The area of Hope County feels alive and is very well designed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭panevthe3rd

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Want to get the new tomb raider so as is tradition I had to finish Rise 1st.

Rise is a good game but the last few levels are a load of ****e after levelling up in stealth and what not I am faced with "ambushes" from the Deathless and Trinity lads.

So the only actual way to complete these fights are "Shotgun LOL"

Then they stick a stealth one and I think the last ambush was the only one.....Nope next 2 are ambushes with no way to stealth only "Shotgun LOL".

Actually ruined a decentish game albeit very easy game? I enjoy them but dont find them challenging, the puzzles are literally glowing in front of you.

Found the puzzles too easy too. Haven't played it yet but Shadow has the option to turn off all hints and glowy bits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭joombo

I like competitive free games like CS:GO and LOL. I found eSport platform where I can practice my gaming skills with players from different countries. LOL is my fav now,  its multiplayer is the paradigm of competitive gaming, and the graphics are greater than any other MOBA has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

joombo wrote: »
    I like competitive free games like CS:GO and LOL. I found eSport platform where I can practice my gaming skills with players from different countries. LOL is my fav now,  its multiplayer is the paradigm of competitive gaming, and the graphics are greater than any other MOBA has to offer.

There is so much wrong with this statement I don't even know where to begin.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 is out and I've no money to buy it :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Valkyria Chronicles 4 is out and I've no money to buy it :'(

€47.99 on Fanatical
    https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/valkyria-chronicles-4
    Payday tomorrow! :cool:

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    €47.99 on Fanatical
    https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/valkyria-chronicles-4
    Payday tomorrow! :cool:

Not for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,163 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen Nioh on sale and thought "Hmm, should I?" and it's on sale again and I'm doing the same thing.

I've read it's very unforgiving, more so than Dark Souls. How true is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

J. Marston wrote: »

Not at all, its a great game. Has a learning curve alright, avoid only if you dont like a challenge.

Dark souls 1 to me was alot more infuriating as far as cheap deaths and corpse running is...

Nioh is a game that gets easier as you progress through it and pick up more skills/abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Speaking of Souls-likes I've been playing The Surge and having a lot of fun with it, really love the level design and the body part targeting mechanic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

J. Marston wrote:

Nah, it's fine, great fun, loved it.

Advertisement