Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Again, I think the thing is there's no perfect way of doing it, no style that will suit every game. Thirty Flights of Loving is arguably the most cinematic game ever made - using the very language of filmmaking in a way few games have - and it's a delight, even if it's basically the length of a Simpsons episode. Many of the best games of all times are pure gameplay. There's countless permutations in between.

In terms of the traditionally 'cinematic' game in the scope of this discussion, I'd say the Team Ico games are the most brilliant realisation of the approach. Each of the three games uses sparse, reasonably rare cutscenes to fill in story gaps - but mostly the relationships, themes and conflicts emerge organically through the gameplay itself. There's nothing really in the way of player choice, but that allows Ueda to more determinedly craft everything from individual scenes to the overall pace of the experience (with the slight exception of the more open 'in between' sections in SotC). I know The Last Guardian is a divisive game, but for me it was a stunning, even inspiring culmination of more than a decade of work across all three titles - the rare game where everything was operating in harmony, in a substantially more rewarding way than something like Uncharted (and I quite like those games... well, 2, 4 and Lost Legacy anyway).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just beat Cuphead on Regular over two evenings.

Was hesitant to give the game a go. How could an indie developer take on the likes of Contra Hard Corp and Gunstar Heroes. Nobody does bosses like those games. Most western developers can't comprehend good boss design.

Thankfully I was an idiot. The game is fantastic, I'd put it up there with those two greats. The bosses are great with brilliant attack patterns. Even the run and gun levels are fun.

Then I got two the last two bosses, a homage to Gunstar Heroes and Ghouls n'Ghosts. It was like they were playing to my tastes.

Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just beat Cuphead on Regular over two evenings.

Was hesitant to give the game a go. How could an indie developer take on the likes of Contra Hard Corp and Gunstar Heroes. Nobody does bosses like those games. Most western developers can't comprehend good boss design.

Thankfully I was an idiot. The game is fantastic, I'd put it up there with those two greats. The bosses are great with brilliant attack patterns. Even the run and gun levels are fun.

Then I got two the last two bosses, a homage to Gunstar Heroes and Ghouls n'Ghosts. It was like they were playing to my tastes.

Loved it.

There's DLC in the works now. I'm really looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Beat Short Peace: Ranko Tsukigime's Lomgest Day. It was.... interesting.

It seems to have been totally forgotten about but it's a short movie animation collection that seemed to highlight Japanese culture. The PS3 game adds a game by Suda 51.

The game is kind of like an endless runner but there are stages. It gets weird towards the end with it changing gameplay styles to other genres.

The story unfortunately is just trying too hard to be weird throwing together everything from magical girls, evangelion to high school drama and Suda 51's brand of weirdness and it doesn't quite work.the game itself is ok but if it was more than an hour long I'd be sick of it.

The short films on the other hand are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Yomawari is getting a bundle release on Switch, it comes out October 26, 2018 on Nintendo Switch in Europe. It then releases in North America on October 30
    http://www.siliconera.com/2018/05/30/yomawari-the-long-night-collection-coming-to-the-nintendo-switch-in-october/

Yomawari: Night Alone is available for the PlayStation Vita and PC. Yomawari: Midnight Shadows is available for the PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita and PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

Have Kotaku reviews always been this strange? :pac:

Gave me a few laughs I must admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Doge wrote: »
    Have Kotaku reviews always been this strange? :pac:

Gave me a few laughs I must admit.
    Dont really follow the racing world but is there zero damage modeling in that game? Cars just hit something and stop? It looks like an unfinished tech demo :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

Thargor wrote: »
    Dont really follow the racing world but is there zero damage modeling in that game? Cars just hit something and stop? It looks like an unfinished tech demo :confused:

You can turn damage all the way upto "Simulation" but its pretty mild, the tracking of the car can go off and youll be veering to one side, and it can affect the performance of the engine.

This is an open world arcade racer including off road, and its not a Simulator hence why the damage is minimal, if you couldnt go through walls and wreck your car as a result it wouldn't be half as fun as the game actually is.
    Its the most fun racer I've played in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Thargor wrote: »

Car manufacturers don't like showing their cars deformed after a crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Car manufacturers don't like showing their cars deformed after a crash.

Don't think this is the reason for Horizon though since the Forza Motorsport series shows plenty of damage.

I'm a big sim racing fan and enjoy the accurate damage models encouraging you to race clean but trust me, you do not want accurate damage in a Horizon game!

Part of the fun is attempting crazy jumps and bucket list challenges where your car is basically put through a blender. If you crash, you simply dust yourself off and try again immediately without having to drive back to a garage to repair the car.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's an unapologetic arcade racer. If you want a racing simulation, then go for the Forza Motorsport series.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

7:08 on is a kinda fascinating look at how much of a mess the place was in, 12.50 basically describes what may have been the deathnail long-term with investors and not something I heard before

Another side of the whole Telltale games thing. This follows one guy's journey from a small town, to working in Telltale games. Interesting watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,812 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just spotted an Aperture Science cameo on Making a Murderer :)

464561.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

LOL might not be up my alley as a game, but their music videos are bloody amazing!

Finished Siren Blood Curse. Really enjoyed it even if it's not perfect. Not a fan of how they westernised the original and it doesn't make as good use of its mechanics as the first two games but I do like how it's not so obtuse you need a fan to finish it.

It really makes me miss proper horror games.

Playing 3D Dot Game Heroes. Really fun game although far from perfect. It apes the zed's formula but isn't quite as polished. It's also very linear so far.

Also started Dragon Quest 11. The game is an absolute gem. Can't wait to dig deeper. My only complaint is that it's very much in the DQ8 mould rather than trying something new but then again DQ8 was so good its not really a bad thing.

There was an extra Games Done Quick event GDQX at Twitch con I think, just noticed videos coming up, dunno if anyone saw or was interested just said I'd post for anyone not following the Youtube, hopefully it hadn't been posted already.

I think my love affair with agdq is over. Couldn't get into the last one, the humour was just so cringey.
    I think they could really do with a bit of a revamp

I think my love affair with agdq is over. Couldn't get into the last one, the humour was just so cringey.
    I think they could really do with a bit of a revamp
    Didn't see much of SGDQ either for mostly the same reason. This one doesn't seem too bad though, maybe because I'm half watching while doing stuff.
    Thought this run was pretty good, Sonic Advance wasn't, Minit was good too and short but I just cleared that lately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Also started Dragon Quest 11. The game is an absolute gem. Can't wait to dig deeper.

Glad to hear it, I'm definitely getting this. Haven't played a DQ game before, 11 looks beautiful and appears to be the right place to start

• Advertisement

Greyfox wrote: »
    Glad to hear it, I'm definitely getting this. Haven't played a DQ game before, 11 looks beautiful and appears to be the right place to start

The only issue with it so far is it follows the DQ8 formula rather than doing something new bit it's not much of a complaint.

Retronauts described it as the game for people that wanted Ni No Kuni 2 to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

The only issue with it so far is it follows the DQ8 formula rather than doing something new bit it's not much of a complaint.

Retronauts described it as the game for people that wanted Ni No Kuni 2 to be good.

Ah here leave it out. Ni No Kuni 2 is a great game overlooked by many!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Started playing GT Sport again. Nice to see new cars and tracks were added. While I'm a big fan of the Forza Motorsport series, I prefer GT Sport over Forza Motorsport 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Started playing GT Sport again. Nice to see new cars and tracks were added. While I'm a big fan of the Forza Motorsport series, I prefer GT Sport over Forza Motorsport 7.

Yeah I’ve been dipping in and out of it again recently. At least for the free car a day piece when you complete a few races. It’s crazy value now if anyone hasn’t picked it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Just finished SotN on PS4, noticed that at the save slot select screen you can enter RICHTER or MARIA to play as them in a new game. Considering Maria was only ever in the Saturn version it makes this a complete version now; the brief 2 rooms I played as her (before dashing into a Warg) she is very different to Alucard.

She was in the PSP version as well which the PS4 version is based off of.

Both versions are missing the Saturn exclusive areas but you aren't missing out much there as they aren't great and that version suffers horrendous slowdown and horrible mesh transparencies. So yeah it's probably the best place to play it other than the slightly off aspect ratio.

Hope they bring it to PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,163 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Destruction Derby popped into my mind today for some reason. Would that be a success today? Feel like it would make a great party game.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

J. Marston wrote: »
    Destruction Derby popped into my mind today for some reason. Would that be a success today? Feel like it would make a great party game.

I would say get Wreckfest but its still not a 50 quid game, its very very good but spend maybe 20 on it.

J. Marston wrote: »

The first game is a glorified tech demo. It's very limited. The sequel was a lot of fun though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm nearly finished the main storyline in Red Dead Redemption 2. Once I have completed that, I will move onto another Rockstar game called 'Bully' which is backwards compatible on the XB1.

Advertisement