Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I'm nearly finished the main storyline in Red Dead Redemption 2. Once I have completed that, I will move onto another Rockstar game called 'Bully' which is backwards compatible on the XB1.

I never played it. Must try it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's the only rockstar I'd consider a true classic. It's really good and unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,970 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've tried to play Bully twice, first when it came out on PS2 and about a year ago. Don't know what it is, but I've never finished it. With Bully 2 happening (most likely), maybe i'll give it another go.

DD2 was the game that came with my PS1, and I adored it. I'd love a remake of it, and even though Wreckfest looks good, as mentioned above, I don't think it's worth €50. I'll definitely get it in a sale, but any game that spends so long in beta has lost it's appeal by the time it's released. And I've a personal grudge against alpha/beta games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I also liked Demolition Racer on the PSX, pretty much a Destruction Derby clone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's the only rockstar I'd consider a true classic. It's really good and unique.
    GTAIII I would reckon is one of those titles that goes under 'classic' by default, no? Granted I was 14 or 15 when it came out but for me it completely redefined what you could do in a game and how it could be realised.

Still fondly remember losing track of time and my best mate growing up's(who had a ps2 before me) now late dad flinging the door to his room open and screaming "You f*cling go home!! And YOU!! GO TO BED!" (he was so tired and wound up he told me to go to bed and his own son to 'go home'. Needless to say, that still only bought those pesky triads a few hours. :pac:

Personally I consider San Andreas and V to be incredible games too, but III was one of the biggest overnight game changers I can recall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Billy86 wrote: »
    GTAIII I would reckon is one of those titles that goes under 'classic' by default, no? Granted I was 14 or 15 when it came out but for me it completely redefined what you could do in a game and how it could be realised.

Still fondly remember losing track of time and my best mate growing up's(who had a ps2 before me) now late dad flinging the door to his room open and screaming "You f*cling go home!! And YOU!! GO TO BED!" (he was so tired and wound up he told me to go to bed and his own son to 'go home'. Needless to say, that still only bought those pesky triads a few hours. :pac:

Personally I consider San Andreas and V to be incredible games too, but III was one of the biggest overnight game changers I can recall.

Did you play GTA The Lost and Damned at all Billy? It's one of my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

GTA III to me was a major landmark in gaming, I tried playing bully and I lasted about an hour of play I thought it was visually ugly and really stupid, and I was primed to like it as back2skool was one of my childhood favourites

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I've tried to play Bully twice, first when it came out on PS2 and about a year ago. Don't know what it is, but I've never finished it. With Bully 2 happening (most likely), maybe i'll give it another go.

I played Bully on the 360 and didn't think much of it. It was ok not classic worthy though. I never finished it either.

San Andres and V were my favourite GTA's by far. III was ok but I never played it when it was released so I was used to games looking like that same with Vice city played years later after release so both felt dated to me.
    Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I'm nearly finished the main storyline in Red Dead Redemption 2. Once I have completed that, I will move onto another Rockstar game called 'Bully' which is backwards compatible on the XB1.

RDR 2 is pretty good but I am slowly playing through it. Started it midnight on release but I am only a few missions past chapter 3 I think, where the two plantation farms are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,071 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The only issue with it so far is it follows the DQ8 formula rather than doing something new bit it's not much of a complaint.

Retronauts described it as the game for people that wanted Ni No Kuni 2 to be good.

DQ8 was so long ago that that's actually fine with me. In fact it's a bonus. I'm about 60 hours in at the moment and really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

No,not enough japanese rpg elements to GTA III for it to be considered a classic.

Also not obscure enough.

C'mon lads,should know that by now:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I agree with the above, GTA III was incredible, I'd not seen anything like it before.
    I was astounded you were given a mission and you completed it however you wanted. And I was stunned when I realized the map opened up across the bridge into Yakuza territory. Ah the memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

GTA III was a giant step forward technically and gameplay wise. The freedom it offered in a 3D world was unprecedented when it came out, but it hasn't aged well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm mixed about GTA 3. It's definitely a landmark game that had a huge influence on the industry.

In a way it's aged badly. I always looked bad and was very clunky and buggy.

But in another way I prefer it's approach to how new rockstar games handle an open world.

In GTA 3 it's a true sandbox. You can approach any mission how you want and can break many missions to make them easier by inventing your own ways through them. In later GTA games the open world becomes scripted for each mission and there's no randomness or player influence on the world. It makes the missions so much more boring than the actual open world.

I wish that rocksyar would have more confidence in their open world design instead of scripting everything. In a way it's why I loved breath of the wild so much as it embraced it's open world in a way that GTA 3 dud.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

loved III, but for me, GTA Vice City, is the one true GTA game, an amazing cast, voice acting throughout, and a perfect blend of satire / homage to the the 80's. Plus it brought in motorcycles and helicopters as well, further expanding the possibilities for chaos.

Yeah Vice City just had the perfect atmosphere. San andreas might have been bigger but the fun was spread thin across that gigantic map.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah as much as I loved it, San Andreas never held a candle to Vice City for me. Vice City was the absolute perfect sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Vice City was the last Rockstar game I finished, although I'm making decent progress in RDR2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah as much as I loved it, San Andreas never held a candle to Vice City for me. Vice City was the absolute perfect sequel.

Cracking tunes on the radio in Vice City too.

Ted Nugent's Stranglehold was on the Rock Station. Where that song was awesome was Battlefield Hardline. Nothing quite like being driven round, hanging out the window with a rocket launcher on your shoulder and that tune blaring in the background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

One of the highlights of playing Watch Dogs was when Leatherface's Not Superstitious was blaring out of one of the cars I robbed. Completely unexpected but totally brilliant.

The flip side to this is that I've come to hate songs I previously loved because of their repetition in Mafia 3. It's ruined several songs for me.

• Advertisement

This is very true. I loved the tunes in Mafia III at the beginning but after hearing the same three Stones songs for 30 hours it wore me down. There's no fast travel either you have to drive EVERYWHERE!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I've played through III, VC and SA at least three times each, with my last SA playthrough being earlier this year. For a long time, VC was my favourite of the three for many reasons above. III had that initial 3D world/sandbox potential for chaos and VC initially seemed to do little more more than expand on it by adding bikes/helicopters. After a few playthroughs of both, the fact that the protagonist spoke, along with excellent voice acting and a far wider variety in missions (III was pretty much go to X and kill Y throughout) and the 80s soundtrack atmosphere meant that the games were worlds apart. And VC was initially going to be an expansion pack! That would have been unjust.

14-17 years on, I think SA has pipped it for me. Yes, the world can seem too big and empty. But what they've done with the world makes up for it. For a start, a big gripe I had with VC and III was the road systems just being a ball of sh1te. In SA, you have highways with proper on/offramps that makes navigating the city more intuitive. Going from A to B was easier to do without constantly looking at a map. You didn't need to learn that the massive dual carriageway bridging two islands had a golf course on one end and an alleyway in a Haitian ghetto on the other end.

Also, the water/swimming/not dying mechanics in SA got rid of another huge gripe. Finished a boat mission and you want to hop out? Mission ain't over buddy. Miss your jump onto the jetty and you're dead. Want to make sure a clipping issue won't make you end up in hospital with 0 weapons? Better ramp your boat onto the beach and run 30+ seconds to a road so you can get back to a save point.

Despite all my playthroughs of all the GTA games, I never got 100%. The whole achievement thing bored the hell out of me (goes for all games tbh) but the last time, I decided to go for it. I did the tags/horseshoe type stuff with the aid of guides and they forced me to explore areas I hadn't seen. Despite the countless hours I had put into this game in the past, I was still discovering new areas. Made me realise that despite the terribly aged graphics, there is a huge amount of world detail here that is underappreciated.

Last point towards SA (albeit an unfair one) is that the PC port has better keyboard/mouse/controller support than III and VC. But there are mods for that.

tl;dr I prefer SA

• Deserves to go in here I think rather than the 76 thread even though it's related.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Deserves to go in here I think rather than the 76 thread even though it's related.

Jim Sterling often annoys the hell out of me, but he's been spot on for his last few videos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I heard Jim Sterling goes around to people's houses and forces them to subscribe to his channel and fund him though Patreon by threatening to motorboat them.

He also eats goat anus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I heard Jim Sterling goes around to people's houses and forces them to subscribe to his channel and fund him though Patreon by threatening to motorboat them.

He also eats goat anus.
    This still gave me a chuckle. :pac:

Jim Sterling Arrested After 20-Minute Rant at Toll Worker Over “Road Microtransactions”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I probably spent multiple weeks playing GTA:SA, and my addiction wasn't in the least bit helped by having the "GameXploder" to stave off crooked cops and those Ballaz bustas, on top of trying to replicate the "GTA drifting" craze of the time.

Did I mention that the GameXploder could be a bit uncooperative at times?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

loved III, but for me, GTA Vice City, is the one true GTA game, an amazing cast, voice acting throughout, and a perfect blend of satire / homage to the the 80's. Plus it brought in motorcycles and helicopters as well, further expanding the possibilities for chaos.

I know its hard to ignore with what is happening at Rockstar now but it's crazy to think that Vice City was released 12 months after GTA III.
    One thing I hate about those games and make me drop them when replaying were the remote control vehicle missions. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Ugh, you're dragging up some repressed memories there ERG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

EoinHef wrote: »
    No,not enough japanese rpg elements to GTA III for it to be considered a classic.

Also not obscure enough.

C'mon lads,should know that by now:P

I must be turning into Retr0 because I actually would rather go back and play The Getaway and The Getaway Black Monday over the GTA games of that era. :p

I'm just done with the GTA formula at this stage, didn't even make it half way through V and IV was a bit of a pig to complete, apart from the memorable bank heist mission with the Irish lads.

The getaway upped the realism for open world games at the time, with more life-like and less cartoonish graphics than GTA III, featured an accurate real world map of London.

Had amazing facial animations for the time.
    While the game is probably not as a fun, it was dark and had a lot of style and grit to it from the opening scene where your wife is shot dead on the street and son is kindapped to the end of the game.

I thought it was an amazing accomplishment by Team Soho at the time and it's a huge shame that The Getaway 3 never saw the light of day.
    I'll never consider it as a "GTA Clone" as the game stands out in its own right.
    The closest we have now is London Heist and the upcoming Blood and Truth on PSVR.

Advertisement