Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,969 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    39 hours max would be nice...

I'm on average 45hrs and yet not even making €30k :(
    Yet my boss is a billionaire.

That's why I refuse to work more than 39 hours. Just promoted to 30k, but I'm not doing more than my mandated working week. You break your bollix trying to make ends meat, and the owner/shareholders laugh at you. Nah, not me boy!

I did work as a Garda, and that was fairly well paid (my final year, I earned €56k, but really only got about €30k of that after tax/mandatory deductions), but having a standard 39 hour week was non-existant. You could be going into your 2 rest days, only to be told the day before you're required for court. Rest day gone. Part of the reason I left.

But something has to give in the gaming business. People are starting to realise that they actually have rights. However, working for a US company with US agents, it's plainly obvious they're deliberately kept under-educated so they can't challenge the powers that be. It's shocking. The standard worker in the US has no legal mandatory annual leave. Some companies give 5 days, and that's considered a good perk. I couldn't believe it, while we're happy out over here with our legal 20 days minimum.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Monkey Island 2, wow, up to this moment, I had totally removed it from my memory. Early 90's good times.....now I'm thinking about Civilization and Railroad Tycoon, back when I didn't have to pay bills and doing the Junior Cert was my biggest worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

delly wrote: »
    Monkey Island 2, wow, up to this moment, I had totally removed it from my memory. Early 90's good times.....now I'm thinking about Civilization and Railroad Tycoon, back when I didn't have to pay bills and doing the Junior Cert was my biggest worry!

I have a fondness for the good ol' point n click adventure genre from the 80s and 90s. :)

I never played the Monkey Island games when they came out. Tried to play one recently enough (think I got it with PS+? Could be a steam game, can't recall). It was the remastered version, but I still couldn't get into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Id say they are hard to play, being fairly dated at this stage in time. But if you can get through it, they are fairly funny games, had my younger self in stitches when i played through them, although i think i skipped the first one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

nix wrote: »
    Id say they are hard to play, being fairly dated at this stage in time. But if you can get through it, they are fairly funny games, had my younger self in stitches when i played through them, although i think i skipped the first one.

Aged a lot better than you think and still some of the finest examples of the genre.

Maybe my 'point n click' days are behind me. Didn't really like the genre to begin with tbh, only really playing through Myst and Riven fully. They were more a PC genre, and I was a console peasant up to a few years back.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Aged a lot better than you think and still some of the finest examples of the genre.

Good to know, id be interested in hitting them with a replay. I loved these and the first two broken swords back in the day, just didnt like the later BS games, preferred my 2d clicking :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Never played Monkey Island. Used to get second hand games mags at the time and stared wistfully at the Amiga game and how great it would be to play it and yet all I had was a C64. I feel the time has past although a few years back I got broken sword on the android phone and that was thoroughly playable/enjoyable.

Is it just me or does this:

62R9kMvl_400x400.png

Remind anybody of this:

94D0B5DF87E4A849B7E3887CABF1DD3D3597BE38

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

delly wrote: »

I'd say get civ v instead of vi, I really like both but V is probably a tenner by now and incredible value for that. Plus you get to move up to VI if you play it to death. Steam also has basically infinity to completely reshape both games too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

nix wrote: »
    Is it just me or does this:

62R9kMvl_400x400.png

Remind anybody of this:

94D0B5DF87E4A849B7E3887CABF1DD3D3597BE38

:confused:

Erm, they're both parodying off the image of Jesus Christ, with the sacred heart and scepter....

Example;

fbbf70f0aef56a3981a39993a352836e.jpg

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Erm, they're both parodying off the image of Jesus Christ, with the sacred heart and scepter....

Example;

Well Duhhhhh :P:pac:

I was thinking it was more Epic taking a jab at steam though, boasting of their BL3 exclusivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Can we please not fling around pics of the Holy Gaben unless it is in relation to prayer or Steam Sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Couldn't be a better time for a documentary following a games development after last weeks Bioware story.

"Playing Hard" follows the development of Ubisoft's For Honor.

Its available on Netflix. It's a great watch after reading so much of the internal goings on at bioware.

https://twitter.com/the_darklorde/status/1114196623226068992?s=19

• Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Can we please not fling around pics of the Holy Gaben unless it is in relation to prayer or Steam Sale.

Or HL3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Couldn't be a better time for a documentary following a games development after last weeks Bioware story.

"Playing Hard" follows the development of Ubisoft's For Honor.

Its available on Netflix. It's a great watch after reading so much of the internal goings on at bioware.

https://twitter.com/the_darklorde/status/1114196623226068992?s=19

I'll watch this but I think I gave up after about an hour of For Honor on PS Plus - it looked like absolute scutter - the graphics were dreary as fook.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

My dreams have come true in the shape of a mod for Serious Sam VR.

Duke3D is my favourite FPS game, favourite PC Game, and quite possibly my favourite game of all time.
    And since I love VR this is a dream come true.

I love how they enhanced the first map to make it larger, have more enemies attacking the city, EDF soldiers fighting along your side and adding a Duke burger to the street also.

Can't wait to play it.

I'll watch this but I think I gave up after about an hour of For Honor on PS Plus - it looked like absolute scutter - the graphics were dreary as fook.

It's more an insightful look at what goes on behind the scenes of an AAA games development. It definitely isn't a For Honor promo, in fact you don't see much of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

There's a review of the Serious Duke mod (2D version) that goes over the history here, bad language so NSFW:

• Advertisement

• This guys channel is great. Some serious skillz on show here.
    Max Payne btw

*Youtube vid*

This guys channel is great. Some serious skillz on show here.
    Max Payne btw

Its so much easier to shoot on PC.

I replay it at least once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Monster Hunter World and Prey among the games coming to Xbox Games Pass this month. At this point, if I didn't already have an Xbox, I'd buy one for Game Pass alone.

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/1115963324347310080

Monster Hunter World and Prey among the games coming to Xbox Games Pass this month. At this point, if I didn't already have an Xbox, I'd buy one for Game Pass alone.

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/1115963324347310080

Is that the equivalent of PS Plus? If so, Xbox ****ting all over PS in this department.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Is that the equivalent of PS Plus? If so, Xbox ****ting all over PS in this department.

No, it's more like Xbox's version of Playstation Now... and it's completely shítting all over that.

• Monster hunter World, impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Zero-Cool wrote: »

You can download the games to your Xbox with GamePass but Plus you stream the games I think?

• Its so much easier to shoot on PC.

I replay it at least once a year.

I really wish Microsoft could bring the trilogy to backwards comparability all the same.
    I enjoy the console versions too.

Ah okay, yeah PS Now is ****. You can now download PS4 games to your account though. They keep adding games that are free to PS Plus, absolute bollox. PS Now should be free or heavily discounted if you have PS Plus.

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    You can download the games to your Xbox with GamePass but Plus you stream the games I think?

No, you're think of Playstation Now. PS Plus is the equivalent of Games with Gold.

Advertisement