Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

I just don't understand how he has eleventy-stupid subscribers. Tried watching one of his videos once and had to turn it off. The screaming, the acting like a child, and the obnoxious sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Zero-Cool wrote:
    I've finally given up on them as their virtual currency microtransaction bull**** has gone way too far. Glad to see Jim Sterling and Kotaku bring it to light. 2k/Take Two are some greedy bastards. Wouldn't be surprised if Red Dead 2 is a complete online microtransaction fest with multi coloured horses.

Not 2K but aren't EA selling a special FIFA 18 Ronaldo Edition with Ultimate Team stuff 3 days ahead of the regular one. I guess its working tho
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,837 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

ERG89 wrote: »
    Not 2K but aren't EA selling a special FIFA 18 Ronaldo Edition with Ultimate Team stuff 3 days ahead of the regular one. I guess its working tho

2k have been doing that for years, preorder digitally and get it 3 days early. That's something that is very annoying no matter who the dev/publisher is. If a game is ready a few days early, just ****ing release it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I know it's the same ol' people buy basketball games every year and as someone who has bought NBA 2K every year for a loooong time, I've finally given up on them as their virtual currency microtransaction bull**** has gone way too far. Glad to see Jim Sterling and Kotaku bring it to light. 2k/Take Two are some greedy bastards. Wouldn't be surprised if Red Dead 2 is a complete online microtransaction fest with multi coloured horses.
    Putting aside the microtransactions element of this for a second, I read the Kotaku article and the author said they netted 500VC per match with his "modest skill". They then go on to say that haircuts are 1500VC and tattoos are 1000VC with, I assume, other content priced appropriately. From a balance perspective, that seems about alright, no? Every two or three games you get to unlock something new? If micro-transactions weren't there the same content would more than likely be locked behind some sort of XP system which, again balance wise, would probably unlock said content at the same rate.

So in this instance, is the problem folk have the mere existence of the purchasable VC in the game?

Nah, the uproar has been about the fact it's getting worse every year. Haircuts were free last year, now cost 1000. You can't even preview the haircut so if you don't like it, you have to buy another one. You get less and less vc every year and things go up in price. Then you have to pay for clothes, skills to rank up, tattoos, etc. then the 500 you might get from a game goes nowhere.You can unlock a shoe deal to get 50vc a game. Useless. Then you go online and most people have direct 50+ quid on vc to rank up to 85, highest you can buy, so you are **** until you grind your way up. 2k basically seeing how far they can go and I believe they can actually do a lot worse. Other forums have posts about people spending an instant 100 dollars on vc to 'be good' at the game straight away, just madness.

I know microtransactions are the norm now but there has to be a limit where the game should be free to play if it goes down that route. Anyway, as looking as people splash the cash, it won't end but it's nice to see it brought to light at least.

• Advertisement

Nah, the uproar has been about the fact it's getting worse every year. Haircuts were free last year, now cost 1000. You can't even preview the haircut so if you don't like it, you have to buy another one. You get less and less vc every year and things go up in price. Then you have to pay for clothes, skills to rank up, tattoos, etc. then the 500 you might get from a game goes nowhere.You can unlock a shoe deal to get 50vc a game. Useless. Then you go online and most people have direct 50+ quid on vc to rank up to 85, highest you can buy, so you are **** until you grind your way up. 2k basically seeing how far they can go and I believe they can actually do a lot worse. Other forums have posts about people spending an instant 100 dollars on vc to 'be good' at the game straight away, just madness.

I know microtransactions are the norm now but there has to be a limit where the game should be free to play if it goes down that route. Anyway, as looking as people splash the cash, it won't end but it's nice to see it brought to light at least.
    Hmm, so you can take your customised character online and play competitively against others who may have bought the upgrade points? Any idea how long it takes to take the base character up to the Level 85 others have paid to reach? i assume those games are ranked so your underpowered character won't be matched up against those boosted players?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

ERG89 wrote: »

2k have been doing that for years, preorder digitally and get it 3 days early. That's something that is very annoying no matter who the dev/publisher is. If a game is ready a few days early, just ****ing release it.
    Agreed. MS do it as well, GoW 4 and Forza Horizon ultimate editions came out early. ****ty thing to do.
    Plus all their windows store games are very expensive to begin with.

gizmo wrote: »
    Hmm, so you can take your customised character online and play competitively against others who may have bought the upgrade points? Any idea how long it takes to take the base character up to the Level 85 others have paid to reach? i assume those games are ranked so your underpowered character won't be matched up against those boosted players?

It takes 190k vc so about 200 games according to posters on operation sports NBA 2k forum. Apparently as a base player you miss wide open layups and turn over most passes, I.e you are **** so it's not a nice grind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I hate the whole YouTube sensation of 'I'm not pushed on what games i play, as long as people see my stupid expressions and hear me screaming my head off. Saying that, now I really want to see Potential-Monke videos, I'd totally subscribe, like, share and donate bruh.

Yeah, if i was to do it, i'd play what i want! And there will be shouting, but it's usually just before a rage quit, and lag...

I'll let you know as soon as i'm up and running, you can be my first subscriber, i'll send you a signed photo! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Nah, the uproar has been about the fact it's getting worse every year. Haircuts were free last year, now cost 1000. You can't even preview the haircut so if you don't like it, you have to buy another one.

Kinda like a real haircut so?:pac:

• Advertisement

It's free DLC so you can't really complain but it doesn't look like what I expect Resident Evil to be going forward tbh.

Just on NBA 2K18 apparently they asked a website to pull a 3/10 review score (Not the review itself just the score) that trashed the need for virtual currency in the game.

Square Enix want your money also so give it to them even though I'm struggling to think of any multiplayer or online focused modes in their games they made that actually improved the final product.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/square-enix-gone-are-the-days-in-which-single-player-games-were-or-primary-status

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I had a Horrorthon thread here last year for October. Just wanted to see if anyone was interested in doing another this year or will we just keep it here (if there's little interest).

The Golden Joystick awards voting is open and if you submit votes, you can choose a free e-book worth 15 pounds. I got the PlayStation Book and it is class, well worth the vote.

The awards themself aren't a patch on the boards game awards and the ultimate game of the year award has shockingly bad nominees but nice to get a free e-book.

http://www.gamesradar.com/goldenjoystickawards/

You can choose one of the books below.

The PlayStation Book - If you’ve ever loved the likes of Crash Bandicoot, Resident Evil or Tomb Raider, you’ll find the following tome to be an essential read..

Edge Special Edition - The 100 Greatest Videogames - Welcome to the 2017 edition of The 100 Greatest Videogames.

The Ultimate Guide to Minecraft - In The Ultimate Guide to Minecraft, we count down all the best new features that Pocket and Windows 10 players can expect – and much more!

Nintendo Switch - Inside this special edition, you'll read all about the innovative and exciting new hardware that'll let you play games in all-new ways. As well as the latest on all the Switch’s launch titles – as well as those being released later on in the year.

Retro Gamer - Book of Arcade Classics - Discover the brilliant arcade games that helped turn gaming into a global industry

PC Gamer - The Best PC Games Ever - This volume collects the best of our pieces on amazing PC games, past and present, including our Top 100 feature and a whole host of retrospectives. If you're looking for guidance on the history of PC gaming, this book is for you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Way to early to have those awards considering there's games on there that aren't even out. Youve also got upcoming games that are being ignored. For example Blue Reflection is coming and that games soundtrack deserves to be in the awards ahead of most nominees.

Agreed, AC Origins is the on the goty list when is ludicrous. How does that even happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Way to early to have those awards considering there's games on there that aren't even out. Youve also got upcoming games that are being ignored. For example Blue Reflection is coming and that games soundtrack deserves to be in the awards ahead of most nominees.

Yeah...........but free stuff, man.

Anyone play games on an android tablet? Im not sure if my PS4 joypad will work if I get a mini to mini usb cable for it? I don't want to use the Bluetooth as you have to pair it with PS4 then every time.

Do those generic usb joypads work okay on android?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Should do I connected up a Xbox 360 pad in the past. Haven't done it for a few years though as I do not game on a phone plus my phone now has a USB type C connection but pointless buying an adapter when I will not use it but I'd say the support is still there for connecting one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,172 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Agreed, AC Origins is the on the goty list when is ludicrous. How does that even happen.

tenor.gif

Anyone play games on an android tablet? Im not sure if my PS4 joypad will work if I get a mini to mini usb cable for it? I don't want to use the Bluetooth as you have to pair it with PS4 then every time.

Used both a wired 360 and a One pad with a mini to standard adaptor in the past. I know when I use my one pad wired to pc I have to pair it again for the xbox.

• Advertisement

Ah so I might have to pair it again after even after using the cable, think I'll stick to a generic joypad then, hopefully I can find one that works on android.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So I unsubscribed from PS Plus two weeks ago as I only ever used it for Bloodborne and the games have been crap or stuff I already own.

Today Sony decided to charge my credit card anyway even though I unsubscribed. Thankfully it's on an out of date credit card. I'm getting worried now that I'll get a full PSN ban like Microsoft did to my XBLA access when I stopped paying for Gold.

a full PSN ban like Microsoft did to my XBLA access when I stopped paying for Gold.

They banned you for not paying for Xbox live gold. That seems strange. In the past on Xbox 360 I would sometimes have gold and sometimes not but I have always had it on the Xbox One though so unless they changed something.

edit: Ignore what I said I re-read your post and I obviously picked you up wrong.

So I unsubscribed from PS Plus two weeks ago as I only ever used it for Bloodborne and the games have been crap or stuff I already own.

Today Sony decided to charge my credit card anyway even though I unsubscribed. Thankfully it's on an out of date credit card. I'm getting worried now that I'll get a full PSN ban like Microsoft did to my XBLA access when I stopped paying for Gold.
    The bannings were, I believe, generally associated with chargebacks on cards or via Paypal, not sure what the story is with an out of date card. I do seem to remember them being able to charge a new, valid card if it has the same details though?

I'll see what happens.

With Microsoft I used a pre paid card to get xbl. When it came to renew i just did nothing. Thought they would just cancel it after my card couldn't be charged. However since its a subscription service they went nuclear. Totally banned me from the service so I had no access to all my xbla games I owned. My own fault in a way but the response was a bit ott. Did get it sorted.

In this case i actually went through songs cancelling procedure and they still tried to charge. Cheeky feckers. Not in the mood with my job to go through sonys awful customer service.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't get much for my Xbox gold sub, though my son plays enough online to warrant me hanging on to it.
    I did get rid of the EA vault sh1te though.
    PS+ has given me enough ongoing value for me to keep it up.
    At this point, with those, Netflix and Amazon Prime I am probably paying around €30 a month or so, not too bad tbh.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I don't get much for my Xbox gold sub, though my son plays enough online to warrant me hanging on to it.

The free games games alone are worth it for me. Yes some of them are games you would never buy but some can be surprisingly fun especially if you were bored one day.

Has anyone on here bought a GB boy colour?
    Not the original GBC this is a different device, they seem to be cheap and favorably reviewed :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

have one. its not pixel percent meaning the resolution is not correct so games dont look exactly like intended.
    other that than it worked well.
    its only a minor issue really.

• Advertisement

Does anyone play those wwe games but not interested in wrassling? The new wwe 2k18 looks a bit of a laugh but haven't played a WWF game in over 10 years. These games any good?

Advertisement