Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chromecast €25 in Maplin (normally €39)

• 23-08-2017 1:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭

As per title. Sorry if already posted. Unusual to see these reduced below RRP.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Link(s)...

Chromecast: https://www.maplin.ie/p/google-chromecast-a11uj

Chromecast Audio is coming up at €29.95: https://www.maplin.ie/p/google-chromecast-audio-a86ut

I wonder is this because they're now stocking the shiny new 4K ones at a whopping €74.95!

https://www.maplin.ie/p/google-chrome-ultra-4k-streaming-device-a44yc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

me_irl wrote: »
    Link(s)...

Chromecast Audio is coming up at €29.95: https://www.maplin.ie/p/google-chromecast-audio-a86ut

I wonder is this because they're now stocking the shiny new 4K ones at a whopping €74.95!

Is that not the standard price for the 4K chromecast?

11214 wrote: »
    Is that not the standard price for the 4K chromecast?

Not sure actually so I was just initially shocked at the price difference (yes, I know it's for a much more powerful device allowing 4K streaming... :pac: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Coming up with insufficient stock now, which is a shame

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Coming up with insufficient stock now, which is a shame

Where are you based? Cos I'm getting this...

ZPOv2EK.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Link(s)...

Sorry, there is insufficient stock to add this product to your basket.

Where are you based? Cos I'm getting this...

ZPOv2EK.png

Dublin! I'll have another go, cheers for the info!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭skerry

Seems its only click and collect, won't let me add to basket for online delivery. Pain in the hole as I've been waiting for these to drop since I got my Google Home and I'm nowhere near a Maplins

skerry wrote: »
    Seems its only click and collect, won't let me add to basket for online delivery. Pain in the hole as I've been waiting for these to drop since I got my Google Home and I'm nowhere near a Maplins

Pretty annoying alright, considering they seem to have lots of them in stock.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

sugarman wrote: »
    These are reduced everywhere in the UK at moment ...Currys/PC World, Argos, Tesco, Maplin for £19.

Its only a matter of time before they follow suite here.

I was able to reserve one for local pick up for today from Maplins. Argos.co.uk has them for £19, which is €20.61, but then you'd have to use parcel motel, etc. so about the same price as Maplins, so I was happy to go with them. However argos.co.uk + parcel motel might be handy for someone who can't get to a maplins. Argos.ie still has it at €40

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Chromecasts were on sale in maplin at christmas, and several shops were honouring their price match on it. Possibly harvey normans and currys.

bk wrote: »
    sugarman wrote: »
    These are reduced everywhere in the UK at moment ...Currys/PC World, Argos, Tesco, Maplin for £19.

Its only a matter of time before they follow suite here.

I was able to reserve one for local pick up for today from Maplins. Argos.co.uk has them for £19, which is €20.61, but then you'd have to use parcel motel, etc. so about the same price as Maplins, so I was happy to go with them. However  argos.co.uk + parcel motel might be handy for someone who can't get to a maplins. Argos.ie still has it at €40
    Super, I'll look into Argos UK so. Had checked .ie earlier and no offers to be had. Ordered my Google Home from Argos UK and delivery was super quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Hundreds of them in Maplin Jervis anyway.

Super, I'll look into Argos UK so. Had checked .ie earlier and no offers to be had. Ordered my Google Home from Argos UK and delivery was super quick.

Can't for the life of me get the order to go through on Argos UK. Won't accept phone number, tried enter parcel motel number and keep getting below error. Don't remember having this hassle before

The Evening telephone number must contain between 10 and 20 numeric characters.

Edit: Not sure why I'm quoting myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭sphinx501

Hundreds of them in Maplin Jervis anyway.

When? I was in there this evening, and none on the shelves just one of the 4K Ultra Chromecasts.

So, managed to finally get one in my basket for home delivery with Maplins. Seen 9.95 delivery charge and quickly dumped it out of my basket again

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

sphinx501 wrote: »
    When? I was in there this evening, and none on the shelves just one of the 4K Ultra Chromecasts.

There is a massive pile of them behind the counter (cash register). More then 50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

got two in jervis this morning, they had loads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Plenty in Blackpool Cork also.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭meolwan

I got too in Jervis about 2pm and the guy said to me that had about 15 on reserve. there were still a few behind the counter at the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Got one in Maplins in Blanchardstown yesterday evening, didnt seem to have too many left unless they had them in another location or more out the back. Nice to get a bargain every so often. Thanks op.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭SteM

64 left in stock in Jervis according the Clkick & Collect section on the website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Very happy with this thanks OP. Now how does one go about getting RTE player to work on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭SteM

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Very happy with this thanks OP. Now how does one go about getting RTE player to work on this?

They're redeveloping RTE Player to work on the Chromecast....

https://digitalblog.rte.ie/2017/04/26/rte-announces-plans-to-develop-the-next-generation-rte-player/

At the moment the only way to do it is the run RTE Player in Chrome on a desktop/laptop and cast that to the Chromecast as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Ordered in the Maplin UK through Address Pal:-
    Free UK delivery

Google Chromecast

1 £19.00
    Google Home - White and Slate
    Google Home - White and Slate

1 £99.00

Exchange rate very good at the moment also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

You can no longer hotspot your Chromecast from your phone which is why they are reduced,big. Deal breaker for a lot of people,mines redundant now.. huge uproar over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Can't for the life of me get the order to go through on Argos UK. Won't accept phone number, tried enter parcel motel number and keep getting below error. Don't remember having this hassle before

The Evening telephone number must contain between 10 and 20 numeric characters.

Edit: Not sure why I'm quoting myself :)

My Mobile phone number worked:-

0035387XXXXXXX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭gipi

At least a dozen left in Dundalk at lunchtime today - thanks for the heads-up, OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

You can no longer hotspot your Chromecast from your phone which is why they are reduced,big. Deal breaker for a lot of people,mines redundant now.. huge uproar over it.

Was it fixed though?

https://9to5google.com/2017/08/04/chromecast-smartphone-hotspot-fixed/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Bought today. Thanks OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

How easy are these to setup ?

Can you stream anything on your fone and what's the resolution like?

Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Sorry but what's the selling point of the chromecast? I have an Xbox one and also a smart tv. If it's something not to be discussed here, I'd appreciate a pm ☺️

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Sorry but what's the selling point of the chromecast? I have an Xbox one and also a smart tv. If it's something not to be discussed here, I'd appreciate a pm ☺️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

How easy are these to setup ?

Can you stream anything on your fone and what's the resolution like?

Thanks

Handy enough to set up. You can cast some apps directly from the app, e.g. youtube, and also chrome browser, lot of phones can cast direct the phone screen itself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you do presentations you can use it as a wireless HDMI cable and cast the display from your laptop. Invest in a HDMI to DVI connector for monitors. Or watch stuff on TV's in B&B or hotels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

Over 20 still available in Jervis store by the till

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

If you do presentations you can use it as a wireless HDMI cable and cast the display from your laptop. Invest in a HDMI to DVI connector for monitors. Or watch stuff on TV's in B&B or hotels.

What are they like for resolution ?

Can u cast in 1080p for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭fletch

What are they like for resolution ?

Can u cast in 1080p for example
    Yes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

All sold out now :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Sr. Pirotecnic

All sold out now :(

Yeah, was in there yesterday, plenty available, but at full price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If they had been listed online at the same price, but none in the shop you still might have got a price match elsewhere. I was saying earlier in the thread people got price matches before christmas easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭anthony500_1

Is it possible to cast directly off phones to chromecast with out the need for WiFi. Rural Ireland has not been kind to all of us when it comes to broadband and its coverage. Is it possible to download a film for example to my phone then somehow connect to Chromecast with out wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Kayshee123

I needed one of these, thanks OP :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Is it possible to cast directly off phones to chromecast with out the need for WiFi. Rural Ireland has not been kind to all of us when it comes to broadband and its coverage. Is it possible to download a film for example to my phone then somehow connect to Chromecast with out wifi

I believe chromecast + bubbleupnp will do this.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bubblesoft.android.bubbleupnp&hl=en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭pigtail33

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Rats, it's the audio version I want. Still full price.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dannyman76

Loved calling Harvey Norman on their price match guarantee, got one there for the Maplin price

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lostphrophet

• Advertisement
Advertisement