Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of renting 2 rooms to students, any advice?

Options
  • 23-08-2017 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

My children have grown up and moved out and I'm thinking the money would come in handy if I let both their old rooms under the rent a room scheme, never had students before so this is a whole new world to me. Would be looking for 2 Sunday to Friday students.

I live close by a frequent bus service to Dublin city centre, plus there are 2 small colleges quite near, one a half hour walk. A neighbour put a room up to let yesterday and it was gone by the end of the day, so I reckon demand would be high enough.

If anyone can help with the following questions I'd be very grateful:

- Is it better to offer meals or to have students cook for themselves?
    - Can/should I set a time for them to cook their own meals, say 6.30 p.m. to 8.30 p.m.?
    - Is there a "normal" routine re laundry, like they get one day/evening each to sort their own?
    - I'd expect them to sort washing their bed linen (I'd supply), would this be standard?
    - Also is asking them each to clean the bathroom every other week normal - my children would have done this.
    - My house is generally very quiet, so I'd prefer if listening to loud music they use headphones, would this be considered reasonable?
    - There is a small extra sitting room with tv, should I ask for it not to be used after a certain time?
    - What's the norm re having visitors, I wouldn't mind them being in the sitting room but don't want extra overnight guests.
    - What would normally be charged if someone stays for a weekend?

If someone comes into husband's & my home I want them to be comfortable, but not at the expense of our own comfort, so any advice and experience would be really helpful. Also have still to convince my other half that this would be a good idea!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Maybe just take in one student to begin and see how that works out, then if you/your husband are happy with the overall arrangement you could consider taking on another student. Taking two students from the beginning may prove overwhelming until you all get your bearings on house rules etc.

I would just let them have access to the kitchen and cook their own meals, its would be a lot of work and a pain to have to be preparing meals for them.

As for the other ground rules, its you home and you can set any rule you want. If you have two sitting rooms I would allocate them one and keep the other only for your use that way you always have privacy and can watch what you want, to be honest sharing a living room is one of the most painful parts of housesharing so if you can avoid that its will make life a lot easier.

Lay down rules about cleaning and noise from the start, this way everything is clear.

Make a rule that no over night guests are allowed and that evening visitors is limited to one evening a week (or what ever you feel is reasonable).

If you are going for a Sunday to Friday let just make it clear that staying the weekend will never be an option as otherwise they could start asking to stay often etc, if you go down that route you would be as well off just to rent the rooms 7 days a week.

People are desperate to find places to live so any of the rules you have suggested should not raise an issue in trying to fill the room/rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

GoneHome wrote: »
    Maybe just take in one student to begin and see how that works out.... Taking two students from the beginning may prove overwhelming until you all get your bearings on house rules etc.

Good advice right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dantian

My children have grown up and moved out and I'm thinking the money would come in handy if I let both their old rooms under the rent a room scheme, never had students before so this is a whole new world to me. Would be looking for 2 Sunday to Friday students.

I live close by a frequent bus service to Dublin city centre, plus there are 2 small colleges quite near, one a half hour walk. A neighbour put a room up to let yesterday and it was gone by the end of the day, so I reckon demand would be high enough.

If anyone can help with the following questions I'd be very grateful:

- Can/should I set a time for them to cook their own meals, say 6.30 p.m. to 8.30 p.m.?
    - Is there a "normal" routine re laundry, like they get one day/evening each to sort their own?
    - I'd expect them to sort washing their bed linen (I'd supply), would this be standard?
    - Also is asking them each to clean the bathroom every other week normal - my children would have done this.
    - My house is generally very quiet, so I'd prefer if listening to loud music they use headphones, would this be considered reasonable?
    - There is a small extra sitting room with tv, should I ask for it not to be used after a certain time?
    - What's the norm re having visitors, I wouldn't mind them being in the sitting room but don't want extra overnight guests.

If someone comes into husband's & my home I want them to be comfortable, but not at the expense of our own comfort, so any advice and experience would be really helpful. Also have still to convince my other half that this would be a good idea!

It's a landlords market, so if you set rules you'll find someone who is willing to keep to them.

Some points to consider

1.put everything in writing, it doesnt need to be a really complex legally sounding contract but if there are things they need to do to live with you let them know. cover the rent, any sundry costs(elec, gas, bins), all the do's and don'ts. If it goes wrong you'll be relying on this to protect you in court. with students you can take the issue to the college as many universities will punish students for 'bringing the college into disrepute' so that can be a good first place to complain about rude/unruly/breaching behaviour.

2.Food: Up to you but allowing people to cook on the proviso that they clean up after themselves is probably easier. Since chances are they wont want to eat what you are making every night, and if you are renting to internationals, there are cultural/taste issues to be accounted for - would you be prepared to learn to cook halal, or make specific vegetarian meals? So for an easy life, I'd just let them cook on the understanding that they leave the kitchen as they found it. i wouldnt set a time either because sometimes between studying and extracurriculars they wont be home at 5pm every night like they are in school.

3.Think about 12-14 week leases to start with - so basically term time - it means they move out at christmas and for the summer and means if it's not working out you only need to 'grin and bear it' for 1 semester (roughly 12 weeks) and not renew them for the second semester, and you arn't stuck for a calendar year. As long as the rent reflects the inconvenice many students would jump at it. Who wants to pay for weeks that they'll be at home anyway!
    4.Linens - most will have their own, and it's probably better to encourage them to have their own sheets, but you can let them do laundry on the weekend, or include washing sheets in the rent, meaning that you can at least gaurantee that they are changed regularly. I did this my first year renting to students, €5 of the weekly rent covered washing the sheets, they have to put them on again and strip the bed etc but at least towels and sheets get washed. Its for your piece of mind - not theirs.

5.TAKE PICTURES OF EVEYTHING. Of the entire room from top to bottom the day they move in and in their presence before any of tehri stuff comes in. That way they will know you have evidence of the state of the room upon their arrival, and do the same again when they leave. Create a check list of everything in the room you are providing and agree a description between you. e.g 1 bedside table, wood, minor scratches on top and on door. That way when they move out if the condition has changed in a big way you can use the deposit. Both of you should have a copy of this

6.Deposit - there are things you can/can't take out of the deposit, generally scratched paintwork, or minor carpet stains cannot be claimed against the deposit - those count as normal wear and tear. but ciggerette burns, major stains, holes in the wall etc would be able to come out of the deposit. Replacing the lock after they move out is only claimable if they do not return all of the keys they were provided with, but it's generally a good idea to change the locks after a tenant moves out. You can obviously skip this if someone moves out at christmas but you are happy for them to come back for spring term.

7.Check references carefully, and asked for a college reference as well, facebook stalk, check their linkdin, get as much information as you can. There are lots of clever ways people 'fake references'

8.Keep a copy of all correspondance - all texts, all emails, EVERYTHING. It keeps everyone on the same page, and lets you evidence that you gave warnings, or made them aware of issues that might arise. You should each have a copy of the contract/tenancy agreement and the room sheet, with any mark ups changes and additions.

Now this all sounds rather intense and alarming and they are protections agains 'the worst case scenario' but 99% of students arn't animals, they are like your own kids, they can be trusted to stick by the rules and toe the line. Now a days most are paying so much to go to college they arn't inclined to mess around with a good living situation.

I'd recommend the 12 week leases to start with, it lets you make sure you are happy to rent, that you dont resent getting rid of your own kids only to find somone elses leaving their pants in the bathroom. There is nothing worse than signing someone to a years lease and then resenting them from a month in because you miss your quiet, or dislike having to share space. Because even the quietest tenant isn't invisible.

Like I had a lovely girl my first year renting, she was so good, so clean, quiet, not a partier, didnt drink, a really quiet muslim girl who was no bother to anyone and a land lords dream, I signed a years lease with her, but I hated every minute of it because I wasnt really expecting for her to make herself at home and she did. That was my fault entirely because I wasn't really prepared for the reality of sharing MY house with someone, it was very different to renting a house with someone else, it was my house and she was moving in, it was different even to sharing with family.

I wish now I'd dipped my toe first to see how I felt before committing whole hog. It's only fair to yourself and your potential tenants.

Dantian wrote: »
    It's a landlords market, so if you set rules you'll find someone who is willing to keep to them.

Some points to consider

1.put everything in writing, it doesnt need to be a really complex legally sounding contract but if there are things they need to do to live with you let them know. cover the rent, any sundry costs(elec, gas, bins), all the do's and don'ts. If it goes wrong you'll be relying on this to protect you in court. with students you can take the issue to the college as many universities will punish students for 'bringing the college into disrepute' so that can be a good first place to complain about rude/unruly/breaching behaviour.

Maybe write down the house rules and stick them up in the kitchen or living room but otherwise keep things informal, you do not want people renting rooms getting any notions that they are in a formal rental where they have rights.

They can basically be kicked out on the spot too so having to go to court etc is not really going to happen in a licensee siutaion.
    3.Think about 12-14 week leases to start with - so basically term time - it means they move out at christmas and for the summer and means if it's not working out you only need to 'grin and bear it' for 1 semester (roughly 12 weeks) and not renew them for the second semester, and you arn't stuck for a calendar year. As long as the rent reflects the inconvenice many students would jump at it. Who wants to pay for weeks that they'll be at home anyway!

Again this is an informal licensee situation, the op should not even think the word "lease" never mind try to introduce one, all it can do is imply that the people renting rooms have more rights than they have. They can be asked to leave at any time anyway so why set a time limit, all the better if they are paying over Christmas and not around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Let them cook themselves but leave behind as found. 3 strikes you're out
    No, not exactly but you could state no cooking after 9.30 pm

Let them do their own and let them bring their own sheets
    Plenty of l;launderettes around, otherwise charge for it
    Eww. Clean the bathroom daily. 

Bit tricky - but you can limit it to until - whatever time you prefer
    Hm- whatever you decide
    - than say so

the same as during the week. Take the weekly rent. convert it to monthly and than divide  by 30* 2 days

• Registered Users Posts: 9 VeggieHugger

Thanks, that's incredibly helpful advice!

I did think it was an informal arrangement, i.e. no lease but a set of "house rules" - I hadn't thought about a deposit but I guess I would want that just in case of any issues.

Don't think we'd look at international students as I'm fairly sure other half would prefer to have the house to ourselves at the weekend. At least one of my children will be home at Christmas, also likely to have a guest then, so would be happy to have the rooms back and I assume the students would be happy to not have to pay to hold on to a room they're not using.

Sounds like good sense to let them sort their own food, I'd be happy to get a small fridge they could share.

Think I'd probably go for the two students, might sound mad but if we went for one and they weren't great, it might put us off altogether, but the chances of having two students who don't work out hopefully wouldn't be too high ;)

Thanks again all, that's really useful information.

Also remember that while the money is tax exempt up to 14k per year you do have to make a tax return and you also need to include the money paid towards bills as well as the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dantian

Thanks, that's incredibly helpful advice!

I did think it was an informal arrangement, i.e. no lease but a set of "house rules" - I hadn't thought about a deposit but I guess I would want that just in case of any issues.

Thanks again all, that's really useful information.

the 'problem' with informal is that the landlord also has less protection, meaning you cant kick them out for behaviour or rule breaches but you could a tenant for breaching lease convenants, such as cooking after 9pm, or overnight guests.

But this is useful information if you go down that route
    https://www.rtb.ie/media-research/publications/licensees-in-private-rented-accommodation

There are pros and cons to each, one offers you more protection but then the other has benfits too.

You could just go for a month to month tenancy and require that you only give 30 days notice for someone to vacate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 VeggieHugger

@Cecilia Ugly Dice & @Dantian - appreciate the advice but I think you seem to have conflicting views -

"They can basically be kicked out on the spot too so having to go to court etc is not really going to happen in a licensee siutaion." vs
    "the 'problem' with informal is that the landlord also has less protection, meaning you cant kick them out for behaviour or rule breaches but you could a tenant for breaching lease convenants, such as cooking after 9pm, or overnight guests. "

I found this on citizensinformation.ie -
    Rooms that are not self-contained
    If the part of your home that you rent out is not self-contained, you are not covered by landlord and tenant legislation, so the rights and obligations under that legislation do not apply to you. For example, you are not obliged to register as a landlord with the RTB, provide a rent book to the tenant or ensure that the accommodation provided meets any minimum physical standards.

This also means that private tenants living in your home are living under a licensee agreement, not a tenancy agreement, and are really only entitled to reasonable notice if you choose to terminate the agreement. Tenants are, however, entitled to refer disputes under the Small Claims Procedure.

Common claims that are heard under the Small Claims Procedure include disputes about retention of a tenant's deposit for what they consider unfair reasons, or deductions from rent for damage to property that is over and above normal 'wear and tear'.

Agreement with your tenant

Before you arrange to rent out a room in your home, it is strongly recommended that you and the tenant agree some ground rules and put them in writing. If you and your tenant each sign and keep a copy of this agreement, you can both refer to its terms in the event of confusion or disagreement. These ground rules might include:

How long is the tenancy going to last?
    How much notice will you or your tenant have to give if either of you chooses to end the tenancy?
    How much rent will the tenant pay and how often (for example, weekly, monthly)?
    How will this rent be paid (cash, cheque, standing order etc.)?
    When will the rent be reviewed and how much notice will you give the tenant of a rent review?
    How are utility bills (such as electricity, gas, phone, broadband, TV, waste charges) to be divided between you and the tenant?
    Can the tenant have visitors to stay overnight?
    Are there any restrictions regarding noise levels?

Ads I've seen on Daft for local places seem to be offering rooms for 9 months; I'm a little nervous of only advertising it until Christmas in case that puts people off (assuming hubby gets on board with the plan in the 1st place!), so as it seems we could ask a student to leave at short notice anyway, then I might as well go with the longer term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

If you've never shared a house with non-family members you might be in for a bit of a shock, I completely agree with Dantians post above, it can be a bit offputting when someone makes themselves at home in your home!
    I let an aquaintance stay for a few weeks, and things like using the 'good' cutlery, putting on a 90deg wash for 1 pair of white jeans, leaving food uneaten in the oven etc really irked me. Leaving the tap running whilst washing their teeth & leaving the immersion on etc brings out the territorial animal in me, anyway. It's good you have second living room. If they were 1st year students I'd expect them in bed by Midnight, and I agree with your 'no cooking late' rule completely.
    You'll probably have a lot of parents enquiring, from different parts of the country. I'd insist on meeting them and the student to assess suitability. Also I'd see how you get on with one for a term, 2 could make you feel like a stranger in your own house if you are not used to it. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Doesn't everyone leave the tap running when washing their teeth?

the 'problem' with informal is that the landlord also has less protection, meaning you cant kick them out for behaviour or rule breaches but you could a tenant for breaching lease convenants, such as cooking after 9pm, or overnight guests.

You don't need a reason to kick someone out of your home when they are renting a room, they are a licensee with no rights. They only require reasonable notice and reasonable notice is not defined so it could be as short as an hour if the person did something bad enough to warrant it.

My advice would be keep it informal, don't give them any formal length of time they can stay, don't have them signing agreement etc as this will gain you the owner nothing but will give the impression to the person renting the room that they have more rights (it may even give them more rights but its debatable if something is enforceable in this instance even if signed by both parties).

As I said its no harm to list rules etc but I wouldn't be getting it signed etc more highlighting them. I think advertising for the college year would be the best bet to be honest, they won't be around over Christmas anyway as they will be gone home.

Just to say also they will almost definitely bring their washing home at weekends so I wouldn't be too worried about washing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Lux23 wrote: »

No. It's an enormous waste of water.

Not worth getting irked about though.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

Prime example of how people have different habits and values. I don't need to use 10lt of water when brushing my teeth (5ltr per minute approx) but to you, it's not important.
    This is why I would advise the OP to take it slow and just take 1 for a term, until they get used to each others quirks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Yogaqueen

My husband was renting a room in a Landlords house which was meant to be for 3 months whilst doing a college course.
    At 30 years of age he was treated like a child with all these ridiculous rules like no cooking after 6 pm, no tv in the bedroom, no cooking of particular foods, no showers after certain time etc.
    He is a very tidy person and respectfull of other peoples homes but after been in college and Library all day, to come home and not be able to cook was very unfair. His diet is very strict having a Metabolic Disorder so this was very hard as he cannot eat out like most people.
    The Landlord and her grown up daughter where constantly talking loud and not respecting the other students in the house who where unable to study.
    He only lasted 3 weeks and resorted to driving 2 hours each way daily do he woudlnt put up with this nonsense.
    Please bear in mind that most Students are genuine and do not wanted to be treated like children in the way some Landlords are with rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,516 ✭✭✭caviardreams

TresGats wrote: »
    It's good you have second living room. If they were 1st year students I'd expect them in bed by Midnight, and I agree with your 'no cooking late' rule completely.

I think that would be very unlikely for 1st years tbh - you would have a better chance of keeping that with a postgrad imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Also interested in this, my question is about home security, as some students may not have to be in college until later in the day, if the home owner(s) are gone to work early, the student would be expected to set house alarm, would also obviously have to have alarm code...thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

Also interested in this, my question is about home security, as some students may not have to be in college until later in the day, if the home owner(s) are gone to work early, the student would be expected to set house alarm, would also obviously have to have alarm code...thoughts on this?

I would i.agine they are students, not total dopes and would be capable of setting alarms etc. :)

There will be times when they are in the house and you are out. I would see that as a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

You haven't met my 19 year old Uni student son ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

No :)

OP - I lived happily in digs for two years for my first two years in college. Most of your conditions would be quite normal. The only one I'd find weird is washing the bed linen, as this was done for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

most of the students I hosted were well behaved, unfortunately with the last one we were not so lucky. I suggest you to write the house rules and take pictures of the bedroom with all the items and make the student sign it.
    When I checked the room before my last student left I realized that she never clean the bedroom and the bathroom in the 4 months she was there, I never thought that anybody could not clean the place where is living for so long time.
    Write down in the agreement that the student has to clean regularly the place and leave it in the same condition as he found it.
    I don't know if you have wifi but be aware that students can download lot of music or video, I realize this after I saw an incredible amount of giga wasted in traffic.
    We decided to lock the living room and students in our house will have only access to their bedroom/bathroom and kitchen. I suggest you to remove all the expensive items in your kitchen if you don't want them to be damaged.
    Ask to the student if they like cooking because last one we hosted loved cooking and she spent so much time in the kitchen! just make clear that they should cook the basic and not spending hours cooking complex meal in your kitchen. Most of the people understand this basic rule, but some unfortunately not and they will treat your house like it was their own.
    Lock and keep away anything you don't want the see or touch by them.
    The last student even climbed to the attic to take some tools in my husband's DIY box. She also broken several items and she keep denying till I told her that I will call a solicitor to resolve the matter.
    I don't want to scare you, 99% of the student we had were amazing people, but there are a small minority of people that are weird and you have to be prepared for this.

Advertisement